Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Rash guy do you live anywhere that has chriggers?

A couple of years ago a buddy of mine got a horrible mystery rash and it turned out to be nothing but some really horrible bug bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Lotta Peggy Hills itt.

My large-footed lady wears Keens as work shoes, I think they go up to like 12-13 womens?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

I'd be a hypocrite if I said I'd never used an edgepro knockoff, or did not own one myself, but tbh in hindsight it just prolonged the process of being bad at maintaining my knives, and most of the knockoffs you can't really trust the angle guides and have to fudge your own with a literal protractor. At which point, why not feel out the edge of your knives--which, to be clear, you probably don't know what that is--on a stone, which you're gonna be doing anyway when you get sick of your knockoff edge pro's bullshit?

I don't have one but most people seem to really like their fakepros, where did you get your's from?

Willie Tomg posted:

Like everything else about the work, it's about 20% concrete fact and 80% pagentry and narrative about how a person found a way that worked for them, and you gotta sift through that to find the way that'll work for you.

This is very true, like every person I know who is really good at freehand sharpening does it a totally different way.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

Amazon from some chinese vendor, I really don't remember without going through my order receipts from like three years ago. The stones were pretty legit, and the general concept of the machine is obv. sound, but the angle guides were totally off and the suction cup lasts maybe 5 strokes before wiggling loose from the countertop and unless you're leaving the thing out all the time, in the time you setup and dial in your edge pro to begin sharpening you could have splashed-and-gone on a splash-and-go stone, and I really don't like spending more then 5-10 minutes giving the set a touchup semiweekly. YMMV of course, but once you get a handle on Stone Anxiety its pretty hard to justify whipping out Some Gizmo.

Interesting, I wanted to pick one up to use to reprofile all my knives to the same angles based on use so I would have an easier time freehanding them, but I am already loaded down with rarely useful gizmos.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Hydroxyzine puts you in a sleepwalking state sometimes. I had just taken one prior to cutting the poo poo out of my thumb on a can lid and fainting. Popped right back up on autopilot.

But hey, my lawyer buds want to sue the poo poo out of them for ADA violations, so that's cool. I got grilled on what meds I was taking when I went back 2 days later, turns out that's a huge no-no!

If you take a medication that makes you pass out or randomly decide to get loaded, maybe working around knives and giant pots of boiling liquid is in the best idea?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Co-workers followed me around for 3 hours taking photos and video taping me instead of calling EMS.

And I don't take it all the time, only if I feel a panic attack coming, and even then it should be just fine, and this was confirmed by my primary care AND a neurologist. It was just the pass out and concussion that put me on autopilot.

e: I'll just go ahead and change careers now, having just been diagnosed in the past 6 months. Just dump my 10 years of experience and hard work down the drain

I mean, if you legitimately need to take a drug during the day that can make you down a bottle of liquor at work, then yeah maybe a job with less physical danger might be a good idea?

Also why would your coworkers, who presumably were not aware of this condition, call EMS? Is a dude freaking out and drinking at work not something that happens in kitchens every once in a while?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You're ignoring the part where he sliced his hand open and fainted, hitting his head and getting a concussion.

Then presumably getting up and drinking and carrying on for three hours, which is generally not what you do when you're having a medical emergency?

Like with all the crazy poo poo you guys are posted about kitchen shenanigans in here, why would you think that a person just assume it was some kind of obscure drug related issue and not a dude having a normal freakout?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Then by all means keep taking a drug that sometimes puts you in a "sleepwalking haze" in a room full of sharp knives and boiling liquids.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Again ignoring the concussion part. He didn't just drop into a stupor, he had an accident and got knocked the gently caress out, and woke up in that condition.

???

Hydroxyzine puts you in a sleepwalking state sometimes. I had just taken one prior to cutting the poo poo out of my thumb on a can lid and fainting. Popped right back up on autopilot.

Like do whatever you want in life but maybe consider that just because a doctor prescribes you a drug doesn't mean it is safe to take at work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Then why mention the drug in the first place? It doesn't matter, dude isnt on my insurance, so go nuts, take whatever.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I'll continue to take my prescribed medications as protected by the ADA, thanks for your permission.

I mean, I think you will find that there are a million exceptions for dangerous work, or do you think a bus driver can take whatever? But you are only in a position to hurt yourself, so again, do whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

bongwizzard if someone's on blood thinners and bleeds all over the drat place from a mandolin slice are you gonna tell them they shouldnt work in a kitchen on blood thinners?

Like, you guys are aware that there are whole piles of osha poo poo about perception drug use in the workplace, but you all, like myself, work in an industry with little oversight ? But again, if you are not going to hurt anyone other then your self, then I don't really care what people do but I'm gonna think your kinda dumb.