Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
the first piece of food writing I've enjoyed in years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Do you feel that way about all foods and beverages, or just wine? As I get older I appreciate things tasting like I expect them to.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah it's kind of incredible that I've paid restaurant prices for carbonara and they're still too cheap to add the peas.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Carbonara with ramps sounds like something i want. Will try to remember in three weeks.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 5, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't really see the difference between putting the ramps on top of or next to when I'm just going to just shovel everything into my mouth before I'm done chewing anyways.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bacon is the one unforgivable carbonara sin. I will overlook almost anything else.

The reason I don't like it is smoky pasta is gross.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 12, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're very dumb. The point is to change the culture and stop abuses. You don't do that by going into a different line of work. You're just abandoning workers and leaving them with less allies in their field. It's the whitest privilege way to handle it which is why CDC is the perfect mascot for it.
The biggest QoL improvement for poorly paid cooks would be if 50% of willing cooks dropped out of the industry so the remainder's labor would be less replaceable. Having more people go into cooking does not make life easier for cooks.

Lots of people don't have an option, and if you're passionate/love it that's fantastic, but the person you're helping if you stick around when you dont want to is your boss.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 21, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Things like that tend to only work with certain cloves of garlic. I have been conned by so many videos of garlic tricks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That article is interesting. Everyone's so nice to him, everything goes way better than it really should, but it still fails very quickly. He just was completely clueless on the business end (as if having $0 in liquid capital on opening day didnt prove that already).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i just dont get the level of stupidity/solipsism where a restaurant does 99% of things right, someone says the wrong word that is clearly a generational gap if you give a moment of reflection, then you go online to try to make the restaurant fail and get that person fired. Just incomprehensible to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

Presumably the magic is in the delivery routing. Pizzas still have to be made; when it comes out they send the car with them to yours first.
That still impacts other orders!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Getting hosed completely seems a bit like hyperbole

It's not relevant to me because I think papa john's is absolutely disgusting, they need a domino's style recipe redo. The only thing of theirs that's edible is the pickled pepper.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Our scheduling is indeed a nightmare. Sat down with the owner over breakfast and consequences lie ahead. Also he made the weekend worth the trouble, which always feels good. Finally getting a decent night’s sleep worked wonders too. Sorry to have poo poo up the thread over it.
I dont think anyone was saying not to post, they're just trying to make you aware that asking you to work this hard isnt a reasonable expectation of you no matter how hard the owner works (which you seem to have acted on!)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

but the Godfather 1 is better! OK Computer is Godfather 1, Kid A is Godfather 2. Former is fun to listen to and everyone loves it, the latter is "important" but also a little unpleasant and cold.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

actual good reddit content!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In my head the razor clam was served on coarse sea salt and the guy was just eating the salt.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eggs are the most sensitive protein and are very difficult to cook precisely... there are so many different styles and preferences for scrambled eggs that it's totally a fool's errand to get something that is exactly what you expect. It's kind of cruel to be extremely demanding about the cheapest meal that's also the hardest to cook so I would suggest ordering a burger instead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I remember ten years ago when Oskar Blues was one of the few microbreweries that had a canning machine and it was their whole marketing angle! I'm guessing yellow rose doesn't actually have the ability to can it requires a whole setup.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

FFT posted:

When I was working the taproom at a brewery and they started canning they hired a service that set the operation up, canned a whole bunch of beer, then broke it down.
That's pretty neat

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The $100 minimum is basically an instruction that non-drinkers aren't welcome. The apps run ~$25 and the normal steak is $45. I've never seen such aggressive minimums.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

unknown posted:

I remember (precovid days) chatting with some people and their (smaller) places were dealing with more and more groups that didn't drink alcohol on a night out and it was starting to show on the revenue reports. So I could totally see this as a dick move to the non-drinkers.
It's a real issue - even expensive restaurants make so little money on their food that they need to sell alcohol to stay afloat. I know that I'm getting "too good a deal" if I go to a nice restaurant and don't order alcohol (and I recall hearing about a food critic who didn't drink but would just order wine anyways because they knew the economics of high end restaurants). If this place is (was) swimming in reservations I can see why they want to do it, I just haven't seen it so directly enforced.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wow, looks like about 100 people arent getting food and will be directed to complain to grubhub if they call
Grubhub was paying for the coupon, so from the restaurant's perspective each of those was just a normal grubhub order (where grubhub still takes 30% btw). Unfortunately it was far too many nornal grubhub orders all at once.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

So, uh, the ending of The Bear... Uncle Jimmy and "friends of ours" are going to want that money, right?
Yeah that's the part that's a little too TV. Carmy has a civil relationship with nice mob man now but that will go bad very fast once he starts spending money he owes on renovations and surely Carmy is aware of this. Whatever tho it's TV they have to make the drama up somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I had sweetbreads at a michelin 3 star that was braised in tobacco leaf. It was good! Theyre still serving it 10 years later. Ofc it says so on their menu, big difference.