Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Finally found and caught up on this thread.

FoH/BoH switch here, mostly BoH now.

I'm stuck in a small town in the Midwest where the fancy dining options are pretty much limited to: Applebee's, Olive Garden, and Buffalo Wild Wings.

I hate chicken wings and never really got into sports, so naturally, I work at Buffalo.
On a good day, our fryers don't literally catch on fire. Hopefully, someday, we'll get the remodel we were promised in 2015!

CdC, I showed a picture of your kitchen to my GM about a week ago, and I actually watched him start daydreaming about being there instead. So much kitchen envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

The Maestro posted:

But the goodwill garnered from the community and the name recognition though!!!

Rewarded with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

infiniteguest posted:

Sort of, yes. I can break down the brigade kitchen system later, if you are interested.

I honestly am.

Having mostly worked in late night pizza and fast-casual hellholes, I'm legitimately curious about the setups and layouts of far classier, distinguished hellholes.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
All I'm really seeing is that I made the worst possible choice when it comes to this industry.

Rather than actually work in a functional kitchen with competent people for a decent wage, I'm stuck in a franchise wingpit, deep-frying chicken ends for rubes for 8.50/hr alongside morons and methheads.

I'd probably actually kill for 15/hr.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

obviously i don't know the exact context of were you live, but if you're making poo poo money at a bad restaurant why don't you just jump ship and scout around. the singular perk of this industry is that it's incredibly easy to walk into most places and get a job. maybe this time you'll be paid poo poo but the company will be halfway decent

I'm despairing mostly due to the tail end of March Madness making my life a living hell lately, but honestly it's not THAT bad, especially since our resident maga-worshipping manchild got fired for making death threats to other cooks.

The GM actually gives a poo poo, the actual work isn't terribly hard most of the time, and everything there is dumbed down enough for the aforementioned morons that I can get into the zone startlingly easily when it picks up. Only real downside is that we lost a few cooks due to general shittiness so we've been understaffed, and we have a few shitbags who call off with lame-but-credible excuses.

And I've tried branching out in the area, and I'm actually in one of the nicer restaurants around (with the exception of The Nicest Restaurant In Town, and someone basically has to die for them to have an opening. I've lived in this town for 5 years, never once heard of them hiring). Most everything else is just more of the same, only the inmates are running the asylum.

Rural Illinois is a goddamned wasteland.
Hell, rural anywhere is halfway to The Road these days.

Stuck in the area due to family, but the town's getting a Chipotle this year, so I got that going for me.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Liquid Communism posted:

This is really true. If you have the work ethic to be a good cook, you'll blow people away in a desk job.

Ironically, the last desk job I had was in the Army.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
Opening manager no-showed, so the closing manager had to finally open the store 45 minutes after we were supposed to be prepping.

We also got our health inspection today,
at the same time as our truck came in,
also at the same time that everyone in this lovely town decided they needed wings to soak up the booze.

So, of course the two cooks (who are also dating and are pretty gross about it) decide to gently caress off and take two and a half hours putting the truck away, our lunch closer wasn't allowed to clock in "due to the health inspection being in progress", so myself and the only other cook on line got railed for two full hours (while also failing the health inspection due to the two actually working people being rear end deep in the weeds with no assistance whatsoever).

At least the FOH only dropped two orders on the floor, and took the wrong food to the wrong table three times.

gently caress this day, and gently caress this industry.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

why wouldn't your lunch closer be able to clock in in the middle of a health inspection? i've never heard of anything like that

He's a good cook, but he's not the quickest of cats when it comes to things like "name the eight most common food allergens" and all that.

It was a form of damage control, inspection-wise, but all it really did was screw the line.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
I'm of the firm mindset that if it doesn't have beans, you've only got a thick stew.

I know people will claim it to be heresy, but a beanless chili is little more than wet meat.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

A Man and his dog posted:

Anyone else dealing with this Romaine outbreak??

CDC is apparently telling everyone not to eat any romaine at the moment...

We've been making our mostly-romaine mixed salads with just a shitload of spring mix.

I hate having to even serve them.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Why was your day good today, thread?

We had half of our kitchen call off (4/20 hangovers most likely, I jokingly told our dirty hippie assistant manager to drug test them all), so I was expecting it to be a regular Saturday, and to get utterly destroyed.

I was not expecting everyone in town to apparently decide to grill their own food for a change and for me to actually get out early.

I was also not expecting our visiting manager to commend me on being one of the only reliable people he's seen in our entire kitchen, but it's nice that somebody else noticed I'm surrounded by flakes.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, pineapple and ham/bacon with bbq sauce is a Thing.

Not only is it a Thing, but it hits The Spot.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
My dad was a huge Tabasco fan, and I don't have the heart to tell him I can't stand that watery nonsense. I prefer a hot sauce with some body to it, typically I go with Cholula (or Valentina if I'm broke).

As far as ranch dressing goes, it's as omnipresent in the rural Midwest as hosed up teeth and drinking problems. I never really minded it until I watched a fully grown adult man cover a steak in it.

But once I got a death threat because one of my drivers forgot to deliver a cup of it alongside a pizza, I began to hate it.

(I told the guy, over the phone, that I was the only person working in a college-city pizzeria, on a Friday night in October, so him killing me would be the bright point of my year. He got really nervous and awkward, and hung up shortly after that.)

gently caress ranch.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
I always figured it was basically "if they want to throw me a party, then gently caress it, let's party!"

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

that's how you called Tony in to work. He'd just come rustling out from the bushes like Bigfoot.

I almost wish we had a bush-dweller to come in if needed.
Mostly our cooks call off for plausible but bullshit reasons, because dealing drugs makes more money.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Manuel Calavera posted:

A fair answer. To clarify, a restaurant (what restaurant secret shops even, is that a thing?) or something like retail grocery that I used to do? Retail secret shops are also the worst.

We get about one a month.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
When I was still working FoH, every single alcohol order would immediately get carded, regardless of rush.

I never cared about it, my manager thought it was "a funny but effective policy", and if they bitched about getting carded, it's not very likely that they're the kind of people who would tip well anyway.

Can't fail a sting if you card everybody every time.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Field Mousepad posted:

Never submerge a knife. That's some day one poo poo.

I've actually singlehandedly gotten every single FoH person to wash their own knives rather than just randomly leaving them wherever.

Now, if only I could convince our relatively idiotic night crew to actually clean them before putting them away at the end of their shift.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

A Man and his Hog posted:

My favorite is Millennials are killing Buffalo Wild Wings...

The gently caress you ever been to a Buffalo Wild Wings.

They come in droves, bringing their screeching children and complaining about everything, be it that there aren't enough tablets for their kids to be constantly entertained, or that we don't have the right sports on at the time, or that "the Honey BBQ is WAY too spicy for them, can we please get them an entirely new order of 18 boneless wings, because this is literally inedible to their delicate, sensitive stomachs".

That last one happens at least twice a week. loving mayonnaise is apparently too spicy for half of our white-rear end locals.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

virinvictus posted:

I’d have to pay a line cook with a decade’s worth of experience the same as a line cook who just got out of high school.

Oh, hello, "the exact reason why I left my kitchen last week"!

I'd been there for three years, had almost 12 years of experience in various restaurants, was one of only three kitchen trainers, was the only person in the kitchen who also had any sort of FoH experience/ability, yet a brand-new person right off the street came in making 90 cents more per hour than I did.

That was, without any doubt, the last straw.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Field Mousepad posted:

Well that's everyone in the restaurant business if we're being honest. (Not the rape part though)

I actually married one of my coworkers.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Animal-Mother posted:

Bourdain was the only celebrity chef worth a drat. :colbert:

Julia Child was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

iospace posted:

Grass is always greener, my dude.

On that note, weed helps with the soul draining aspects as well.