Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

an actual dog posted:

I might be speaking too soon but I'm pretty sure everything in Kill All Normies is already out of date. Bretbart is dying, Milo is dead, Verizon is gonna shut down Tumblr and Trump was always a normal republican but even more so now.

That's the danger of analyzing internet culture in general. I think that flaw could have been avoided somewhat by tying internet political movements to the "real world" political movements of today, instead of looking back to the feminist movements of the past. The internet is real life, and it has always been.

One positive thing I will say about the book is that it does discuss points of division decently well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scent of Worf posted:

Can't take her seriously when she practically attributes the rise of the alt-right to tumblr liberals. The real surge in the alt-right came after Trayvon/all the other police murdering black men incidents as well as the refugee crisis/immigration. The number one topic being discussed in these alt-right shitholes is always, without fail, race. Racism against non-whites and the degrees of how racist they are has always been the #1 uniting /dividing force for these people. It is completely loving absurd to infantilize these parasites by saying they're just sexually frustrated nerds/outcasts who got bullied by liberals.

It's also worth noting that the main narrative that got picked up was about campus sjws because that ties in with mainstream conservative thought about liberal brainwashing. There isn't (well, wasn't...) going to be that mainstream acceptance of spewing racial slurs constantly or saying that all women deserve rape. That doesn't make Tumblr special, or more of a tipping point, than any of these other causes.

The internet is real life. You really can't separate the two.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Chapter 2 points toward the idea that liberalism won two consecutive culture wars and then rested on its laurels, expecting the work of convincing everyone to fall in with them to be easy. There's also some suggestion that the movement was either intellectually exhausted or just lazy. Those would be good directions to take the book if we're going to talk about liberalism in relation to the alt-right at all. Instead we got a rich description of Tumblr-liberalism without a lot of analysis to go with it.

The transgression stuff is good and is probably the closest thing the book has to a thesis.

I agree, and it's also a discussion that could easily extend beyond the overly narrow parameters of the book as well as informing our approaches to the future. Hell, the whole appeal of the "dirtbag left" (and many of the problems with same) are rooted in that exact same transgressiveness. Expanding on that, not drawing a direct comparison but noting lessons from the strengths and weaknesses of the alt-right's rejection of social norms, could be an interesting and valuable discussion all its own.

• Locked thread