Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the alt right is new GBS' fault

loving ralp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

an actual dog posted:

I might be speaking too soon but I'm pretty sure everything in Kill All Normies is already out of date. Bretbart is dying, Milo is dead, Verizon is gonna shut down Tumblr and Trump was always a normal republican but even more so now.

Why would tumblr be shut down

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

did 4chan facilitate the creation of the alt-right?

In that they did nothing because they refuse to moderate anythibg that isnt a technical matter

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Since were sorta talking about reaching out to the opposition i just wanted to tell a story. Im in a union and every 2 years we do contract negotiations and i got to be on the negotiating team a few times. The first time i did it was one of our more active members who, despite being an active member, is also ultra right wing and conspiratorial (in my first few month on the job he told me at length about how Abe Lincoln was a war criminal, i had not asked). Our union rep leading the team was a younger guy with endless patience and perhaps too much willingness to help and engage. Near the end the old guy and the rep finally had it out and while the old guy veered wildly to unrelated topics and back to the contract the young guy countered well and eventually cornered the old guy. But then something happened, instead of relenting, admitting defeat or and sort of loss, he just sheepishly started repeating mantras and catchphrases of his right wing stances despite them being countered and proven false.

The rep just moved on in negotiation discussion and the old guy shut up and stewed and bitched about it at a later date.

I applaude my reps fighting back but years later i wonder if it did any good. Maybe it did but the old guy is still the same.

Well thats my story

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the trump tutelage posted:

I think it's fair to import class into identity politics now, but it does highlight the murderous trajectory that comes of pairing essentialized identities with the traditional aims of class consciousness. For example, if white supremacy is IdPol for white people then that's an extremely good argument against white people ever ceding power.

Wait what

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

I took her description of it as more of libs going slack jawed when he actually defends all the terrible poo poo he says with a straight face. Libs don't have the tools to handle a fascist because their only tool is to try and shame them for being racist and whine to their supervisor

It's consistent with the idea that the alt right is only tolerated because they're right wing extremists. They're handled with kiddie gloves because they're a new and exciting addition to the Liberal Discourse Zoo and when those kiddie gloves come off and they actually get pressed on their lovely beliefs, they crumple immediately under pressure

I know i dont have the tools to handle it and i really cant think of anyone who does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Peel posted:

i'll park this here

https://twitter.com/leninology/status/802195266837348352

but add that sometimes people on the 'left' will mean something more like the second, particularly if they're crude class-reductionists. also complaints about 'idpol' are often so vague and whiny that it's not clear if anything specific is meant at all.

Immediately

https://twitter.com/ilVeleno/status/802630403806760961

• Locked thread