Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i bought this book but haven't read it yet. i think i can get to it this week, maybe this thread will inspire me!!!! i find the criticisms of her blaming the left for the creation of the alt-right suspect, but i will wait until i've read the thing until i cast judgement. given that the alt-right is 100% a reactionary movement, it seems to make sense to me intuitively. but we'll see!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

now we need a book on europa identity and baked alaska, can't wait!!!!!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

did 4chan facilitate the creation of the alt-right?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lotta people in this thread who clearly haven't read the book and have strong opinions hmmmm

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i think the online alt-right did at least partially spring up as a reaction to tumblr leftism (i can't believe i'm typing this sentence), and i also think it had literally no effect on the election

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

when did it become verboten to criticize tumblr??

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

yeah, it's kind of like saying star citizen created creepy obsessive goons

well it did create a lot more of them, derek smart registered

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol what is this

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Dreylad posted:

Correct. Like I said, most criticisms of the book tend to zero in on the part that focused on them to the exclusion of the rest of the book which is impressive since the book isn't all that long.

Here's another, uh, interesting take on the book from a perspective not from the center or the left. I think.

this sentence made me want to kill myself

quote:

This was accomplished, seemingly single-handedly, by Milo Yiannopoulos, with his (admittedly brilliant) application of his trademark flamboyancy and a cool punk rock aesthetic (Sex Pistols, c’mon).

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

okay i've started reading it as well now. few things i've noticed is that it definitely needed to be edited more. this was rushed out the door. also she sort of opines on how much she hates that depression quest game a little too much, feels awkward. the game was bad tho...

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

i've never heard of depression quest, who made it?

let me tell u a little story about a thing called gamergate,

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

depression quest was actually a self fulfilling prophecy, as it's creation caused gamergate which made everyone depressed

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i'll try to post a longer explanation later, but I finished the tumblr chapter and I didn't pick up on any blaming of the left for the alt-right. she explicitly said that both the alt right and ID-obsessed left arose at the same time (2010~), not really as reactions to each other but more as reactions to the current political climate - liberals dominating politics. or at least, that is my reading of the text.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

breaklaw posted:

Intersectionality was created to try to reduce the infighting in activist circles caused by people trying to increase their status\importance by proving themselves more oppressed or less privileged than the others. It has no applicable use or even consistent definition outside the left-activist subculture.

or it more accurately describes reality

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

here's her follow up, basically saying the entire period described in her book is over and we're entering a new timeline for the alt right

https://thebaffler.com/latest/goodbye-pepe

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Ze Pollack posted:

"soooo, you might be wondering why my book about a bunch of sad little memeboys who aren't actually a threat to anyone, just in it for attention, and really just started calling themselves nazis because tumblr was mean to them, uses the term 'alt-right' to refer to them"

"look i was talking about something TOTALLY different you guys"

didn't read the book

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

going to guess pollack both didn't read the book, and also didn't read the article i posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Ze Pollack posted:

have you never read one of those awful, rambling apologies so popular among the Extremely Online, Karl?

follows the script pretty closely. the second half's all boring "look, I'm still fundamentally a good person with the right opinions", but hoo boy, that first bit.

"No, seriously, you guys, the people who I was writing about? They had no idea this was coming! They're shocked! They're appalled! They don't know what to do! Clearly, whatever comes next is completely unrelated to the universe I described!"

reminds me, I should look up if that Laurie Penny lady ever wrote anything about Milo post pedophilagate.

she never "predicted" what the alt right would do tho, her book just describes who they are and what they stand for. and it's only one chapter of the book. you're acting like she defends them? which is not the case at all.

are you tacitly admitting you haven't read the book?

• Locked thread