Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My position with my former employer was found to be unnecessary. So I'm out of a job now, but the big issue for me is that I lose my health insurance at the end of this month.

I checked out healthcare.gov, and all of the plans available to me only cover one of my 5 current prescriptions. At this point I don't particularly care about primary care and poo poo for bodily injuries, I'll take a cheap insurance plan that isn't designed to actually benefit you other than keeping you on the insurance train so your poo poo can't be called a pre-existing condition in case the right actually gets an AHCA type thing through into law. What I really need is prescription drugs and access to mental health appointments for my psychiatrist and therapist.

Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) are available for people on medicare, but I'm not eligible for medicare. I checked around for plans that help specifically with drugs, but all I'm finding is "programs" which are just discount cards that require nothing but a printer.

Without prescription drugs, it will be much harder to support myself, so I'm trying to avoid a catch-22 here. I can't afford full unsubsidized health insurance, but I need my medications to get myself into a position to get subsidized health insurance.

Anyone have any resources handy, or companies to look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

Donald, Donald, you've been a good vehicle and I've enjoyed the ride. But now he's weak and full of holes. It's almost time to shuffle off to Buffalo!

signalnoise posted:

My position with my former employer was found to be unnecessary. So I'm out of a job now, but the big issue for me is that I lose my health insurance at the end of this month.

I checked out healthcare.gov, and all of the plans available to me only cover one of my 5 current prescriptions. At this point I don't particularly care about primary care and poo poo for bodily injuries, I'll take a cheap insurance plan that isn't designed to actually benefit you other than keeping you on the insurance train so your poo poo can't be called a pre-existing condition in case the right actually gets an AHCA type thing through into law. What I really need is prescription drugs and access to mental health appointments for my psychiatrist and therapist.

Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) are available for people on medicare, but I'm not eligible for medicare. I checked around for plans that help specifically with drugs, but all I'm finding is "programs" which are just discount cards that require nothing but a printer.

Without prescription drugs, it will be much harder to support myself, so I'm trying to avoid a catch-22 here. I can't afford full unsubsidized health insurance, but I need my medications to get myself into a position to get subsidized health insurance.

Anyone have any resources handy, or companies to look at?

Do you qualify for COBRA, or I guess more realistically can you afford it in the short term? In many cases you're able to use COBRA to continue purchasing the same health insurance you had with your previous employer, however it won't be subsidized/have any partial (or complete if you had a sweetheart deal) payment by your employer. Your doctor may also be able to help with samples and rebates. I'm sorry you're in such a lovely situation, but yeah I've actually seen folks have to rely on that OR finding out with the physician's help if there's anything they can reduce dosage on to stretch stuff out.

shutdoorsandvoices
Nov 7, 2008

For meds, have you tried GoodRx? https://www.goodrx.com/

Last year I was between insurance coverage, and it helped me get decent prices on some meds. (The place I lived the closest to wanted to charge me an exorbitant sum, but down the street, it was *hundreds* of dollars less)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You need to bite the bullet and eat COBRA costs and you'll be fine. It's expensive, but it's coverage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Veskit posted:

You need to bite the bullet and eat COBRA costs and you'll be fine. It's expensive, but it's coverage.

Honestly that's probably what I'm gonna do in the short term, but I think I have determined that I am not the type of person who should be working for other people for a living anyway. If I had been doing a stellar job, they probably would've kept me I think, but I wasn't. I was just doing OK. I have plans, but they'll take a while to bear fruit, so I will be getting a steady job where I can, but when I'm not doing that I want to transition into doing contract work/working for myself. If that day comes, I will want to also know what options I have for healthcare other than "get hosed"

:thats_US_healthcare:

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

A redheaded hussy who ought to be smacked and sent to bed without her supper

Did you apply for any benefits, or just look over plans on the government website? You're not working, you might qualify for something. Even if you don't get Medicaid, you might get SNAP or HEAP or something, and that'll ease some of the burden.

Edit: Goddamn, that is like my solution for everything.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Did you apply for any benefits, or just look over plans on the government website? You're not working, you might qualify for something. Even if you don't get Medicaid, you might get SNAP or HEAP or something, and that'll ease some of the burden.

Edit: Goddamn, that is like my solution for everything.

I looked at healthcare.gov, and I checked out the price of what COBRA would be for me. It's roughly the same as my mortgage because I was the dumb guy taking advantage of a ridiculous discount to get the best plan. Healthcare.gov is probably what I'll use and get the cheapest plan I can get there, and supplement with drug discount cards. I have never had to apply for any govt benefit other than unemployment insurance, so I dunno where to start really.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

A redheaded hussy who ought to be smacked and sent to bed without her supper

signalnoise posted:

I looked at healthcare.gov, and I checked out the price of what COBRA would be for me. It's roughly the same as my mortgage because I was the dumb guy taking advantage of a ridiculous discount to get the best plan. Healthcare.gov is probably what I'll use and get the cheapest plan I can get there, and supplement with drug discount cards. I have never had to apply for any govt benefit other than unemployment insurance, so I dunno where to start really.

Google the name of your county and "Medicaid" or "social services." Then go to the address and pick up the application(s), or apply online. I think paper applications are easier to review before submitting them, but that's just me.

Applying for benefits isn't nearly as hard as some people make it out to be. Make sure you get a checklist with your application of what to submit. Do not submit original documents or you will never see them again. It's something I see constantly: clients submit documents that are supposed to be copied for our records and returned to the clients, and instead they disappear. If you can't make copies yourself, go to the social services office and ask them to make copies.

There are really only two things you need to do as an applicant/client:

1. Stay in contact with your caseworker about any major changes in your life: moving, having a kid, changing jobs, etc. When in doubt, call and ask if whatever it is matters for your case.

2. Keep your letters and documents. Don't toss any of your letters from social services--they might cover your rear end someday. I recommend getting something like this:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bumping this because someone might need this information some day-

As it turns out, healthcare.gov has an absolutely terrible flaw in that it tells you whether or not the drug names you gave it are covered by various insurance plans, but it is NOT ACCURATE AT ALL. I don't know how they are getting the information for that filter, but it's entirely wrong. I went and checked out the actual formularies for various plans, and every one of them covered all of my drugs. So it looks like I'm good with this, and drat I am thankful that the ACA is still in effect, though it's under siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Have you considered making a big impassioned plea to a foreign power for humanitarian aid?

• Locked thread