Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in_queso_emergency
Jan 20, 2014
I'm a fan of Reagan in DC. Never experienced anything other than fast, effective security even without PreCheck.

They even let me chug a beer in the security line because I forgot it was in my backpack :guinness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My favorite airline is United and I fly them whenever I can and never had a single problem.

I think the best airport i have been to is Zurich hands down, but Frankfurt isn't bad either.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I always fly Delta and their partners (KLM and AirFrance are awesome, Alitalia is literally a sky jitney service).

Worst US airport is obviously Phoenix. The Manilla airport was a nightmare at check-in but still more enjoyable.

Schiphol is my favorite, and weirdly Detroit it pretty nice these days.

I was flying back from Augusta, Georgia the other day and their daily "extremely major thunderstorm that lasts 20 minutes" problem managed to delay everything in and out of ATL and AGS. My roughly 100 minutes in the air took 13 hours. When I finally got to ATL someone warned me "watch out" and pointed at the trail of human poo poo in the middle of the terminal. Someone came by and put wet floor signs down and moved the actual poo poo pieces, but there were still remnants.

All those hosed up flights backed up the airport super bad, everyone was late and the restaurants were closing. There was one place that stayed open late and had a basically triage plan for getting food out. It was directly next to the slowly drying semi-cleaned poo poo trails, so people had to line up weird. It was gross, gently caress, and the only option for food.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

in_queso_emergency posted:

I'm a fan of Reagan in DC. Never experienced anything other than fast, effective security even without PreCheck.

They even let me chug a beer in the security line because I forgot it was in my backpack :guinness:

Oh man, I dunno what it is about the scanners at Terminal 2 at RDU, but I get flagged every. loving. Time. Something in my right knee sets off the drat body scanners and I get a complimentary TSA patdown. I don't have any surgical implants in that knee (that I know of) and I've never been flagged at any other airport I've been to. Hell, even the body scanners at Terminal 1 (the older terminal) didn't flag me when I flew out of there.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Opt out of the scanners and make the bastards pat you down every time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Oh man, I dunno what it is about the scanners at Terminal 2 at RDU, but I get flagged every. loving. Time. Something in my right knee sets off the drat body scanners and I get a complimentary TSA patdown. I don't have any surgical implants in that knee (that I know of) and I've never been flagged at any other airport I've been to. Hell, even the body scanners at Terminal 1 (the older terminal) didn't flag me when I flew out of there.

Sounds like a surgeon left something in your leg my accident maybe?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
No joke about half the time the scanners at PDX flag my upper left inner thigh.

IE where my penis hangs.

:frogc00l:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Sounds like a surgeon left something in your leg my accident maybe?

I could buy that if I'd ever had surgery on that knee. Here's the weird part: I had surgery on my left ankle a couple years ago and now have 2 metal pins holding it together. Those metal pins don't set the detectors off.

One of my friends told me that when I die she wants me autopsied just so she can find out what's in my right knee that sets off the detector.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Those metal pins don't set the detectors off.

No joke, opt out of the scanner. They'll ask if you have any sensitive areas on your body, you tell them you have pins in your ankle. They'll probably go through your bag, and they'll definitely wand you, but you likely won't even get a full pat.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I opt out of scanners every single time and I have never not gotten a full pat down. It still takes about the same time, though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I am flying out of the tiny Bodo airport in Norway. Being the only person in the security line while the 6 security staff stare at you is weird. I think they selected me to pat down just because they were bored.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was a kid (in the 1970s) I was on a flight from Brussels to Montreal. Over the Atlantic there was terrible turbulence, the worst I've ever been through. As we approached Montreal the puking started, and before long there was a lovely barf chain reaction circulating in the seats toward the rear. I remember looking back over my seat and seeing a quick fountain of vomit shooting up into the air from someone.

It got so bad that during final approach a flight attendant was walking up the aisle shaking out one of those little aftershave bottles like she was anointing the seats with holy water.

Aqua Velva did little to improve the scent of widespread puking.

EDIT: I should point out that in the seventies there were little aftershave bottles and soaps in the lavatory, like what you'd find in a hotel room.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was a kid (in the 1970s) I was on a flight from Brussels to Montreal. Over the Atlantic there was terrible turbulence, the worst I've ever been through. As we approached Montreal the puking started, and before long there was a lovely barf chain reaction circulating in the seats toward the rear. I remember looking back over my seat and seeing a quick fountain of vomit shooting up into the air from someone.

It got so bad that during final approach a flight attendant was walking up the aisle shaking out one of those little aftershave bottles like she was anointing the seats with holy water.

Aqua Velva did little to improve the scent of widespread puking.

EDIT: I should point out that in the seventies there were little aftershave bottles and soaps in the lavatory, like what you'd find in a hotel room.

Who the gently caress shaves in an airplane??

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Who the gently caress shaves in an airplane??

I don't think it was unusual on long flights, like crossing the Atlantic. That would've been a bad flight to try it on though, especially with a blade razor. :unsmigghh:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Millennials Are Getting Their Own Airline and That’s Good for Everyone

http://fortune.com/2017/07/21/millennials-airline-air-france-joon/

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

So if it's like Southwest, I guess that means the only difference will be the flight attendants tell jokes?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

yeah I eat rear end posted:

So if it's like Southwest, I guess that means the only difference will be the flight attendants tell jokes?

HOW YOU DOING FELLOW KIDS?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

I particularly appreciate the complete lack of details. :wotwot:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Whenever I hear the word experience in the context of air travel, I think back on now defunct Belgian air carrier SABENA. Back in the day, it was said (with good reason) to stand for Such A Bad Experience, Never Again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

Old people keep thinking millennials are some alien species that you need to carefully craft an "experience" for to appeal to them, and it's always things like an Internet addiction and short attention span.

You know what we want, my bro my man my squeeze? Shorter security waits, lower prices, and being treated like actual human beings instead of money-spewing punching bags.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

quote:

"Designed for our millennial customers, it will offer more than just a flight and a fare, it will offer a global travel experience." Along those lines, the Joon brand has been designed to meet millenials requirements and aspirations, the company said.

I look forward to these 50 year old executives determining the requirements and aspirations of millennials.

Millennial requirements so far:
1. Electric Blue
2. "Basic and chic" flight attendant uniforms
3. ???
4. Regular strikes because it's France

quote:

But ironically, in courting travelers who like to blaze their own trails, the company is actually tracing a flightpath similar to other well-loved competitors.

:bahgawd:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Marketing strategy: cram your announcement with buzzwords that gets one half of the population mocking the airline, and the other half mocking the first half, and everybody sharing it and talking about it and speculating what it might entail. Genius.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I always fly the first flight of the day... less crowds, and everyone else flying is equally type-A about getting their poo poo together

One time, at 4 aM, the guy in front of me kept having to go through the metal detector and take something else off. He was ~80 years old, so after a while I started giving him the heckle, "uh-oh, looks like we got a troublemaker here!"

I get on my flight two hours later, and guess who is sitting next to me. So I shout out "great! I get to sit next to the trouble!" We talked through the entire 4-hour flight and still correspond.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well I just learned something fun. Bartenders, waitresses, and other service personnel near your gate probably know the gate agents there. Thank you bartender near D15 at DFW for getting me a whole row to myself 🤜🤛

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

I always fly the first flight of the day... less crowds, and everyone else flying is equally type-A about getting their poo poo together

One time, at 4 aM, the guy in front of me kept having to go through the metal detector and take something else off. He was ~80 years old, so after a while I started giving him the heckle, "uh-oh, looks like we got a troublemaker here!"

I get on my flight two hours later, and guess who is sitting next to me. So I shout out "great! I get to sit next to the trouble!" We talked through the entire 4-hour flight and still correspond.

The flight I took to NYC was the first of the day, boarding at 6:20 AM. I tried watching a movie I had saved on my phone, but instead I joined with everyone else and just fell asleep for the 2 hours.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
The first flight of the day is the least likely to be delayed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I also made sure to book months in advance and assign myself a seat!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
United again.

It tells everyone attending Comicon that you can't pack comic books in your checked baggage.

https://twitter.com/adichappo/status/889151035142533120/photo/1

Then it says "Oh, that's not our rule, that's the TSA saying that."

https://twitter.com/spooloflies/status/889247247522611200/photo/1

TSA says "Nope, we sure didn't tell you this."

https://consumerist.com/2017/07/24/tsa-says-it-did-not-ban-comic-books-from-checked-bags-on-flights-leaving-comic-con/

While I'm prepared to believe the worst about the TSA, in this case I'll make an exception.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
After years of only flying in and out of Berlin Schonefeld (budget airlines) which is essentially just a shed five minutes from a train platform, I was excited to fly into Berlin Tegel. It's actually even worse and there's no connecting train- you have to take a bus to the airport. For a capital city, Berlin has loving abysmal airports.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
One of the best desserts I ever had was on a KLM plane, in economy, in 2008. It was some sort of purple foam/mousse-esque concoction, and I have no idea what it was, but it was soooooo good.

Then KLM started charging like $2k for round-trip flights to Scandinavia so I had to make the switch to Icelandair. At least I don't have to hear that terrible Norah Jones song upon landing anymore.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

United again.

It tells everyone attending Comicon that you can't pack comic books in your checked baggage.

https://twitter.com/adichappo/status/889151035142533120/photo/1

Then it says "Oh, that's not our rule, that's the TSA saying that."

https://twitter.com/spooloflies/status/889247247522611200/photo/1

TSA says "Nope, we sure didn't tell you this."

https://consumerist.com/2017/07/24/tsa-says-it-did-not-ban-comic-books-from-checked-bags-on-flights-leaving-comic-con/

While I'm prepared to believe the worst about the TSA, in this case I'll make an exception.

What the gently caress? Why is that banned?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cumslut1895 posted:

What the gently caress? Why is that banned?

The TSA made a blog post in 2016 recommending that large stacks of comics, magazines, etc. be put in carry-on because they might trigger bag searches. United may have dramatically misinterpreted this as a rule rather than a suggestion.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

When I was a wee Little dude the cabin crew would take me in to the cockpit and the captain would let me push buttons. It was pretty cool. They would give me plastic flight wings too, delta was better than AA. AA's pins just had a sticker on the back. Times have changed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

umalt posted:

Its that one of those predictive text yelp reviews?

Despite knowing that, and reading it several times, I always get about halfway through before I realize it isn't a genuine review of LaGuardia.

That's how bad LaGuardia is.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

5 airports and like 30 hours of travel and I've arrived at my destination...😑

Had a 2 and a half hour tarmac delay in Dallas for weather and had to get rebooked through Brisbane from Sydney on Qantas instead of flying direct to Townsville on Jetstar and ok cool I get my miles this way but I was hoping to be here hours ago and I'm pooped.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Applesnots posted:

When I was a wee Little dude the cabin crew would take me in to the cockpit and the captain would let me push buttons. It was pretty cool. They would give me plastic flight wings too, delta was better than AA. AA's pins just had a sticker on the back. Times have changed.

Tommy, do you like Gladiator movies?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Never ever fly Alaska Air. I work as a courier and every day we get luggage from AlAir that, at average, has been missing for a week.

Had 6 suitcases today where the guy had clearly flown AlaskaAir before; every one had his address glued and taped on every side.

AA set up the delivery with the address one number off. I called the customer to verify, because the fuckheads at Alaska always gently caress up addresses. Customer was not surprised.

gently caress, one time I had a delivery to a literal intersection. The address was cross streets. Again, had to call the customer to verify.

Oh, and they never put a signature requirement. So if I had felt like not bothering and just left suitcases wherever, customer would be hosed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, one other thing I did on my flight to make things easier: because I was joining other people up north who were leaving before me via car, I had them take all of my baggage so I didn't have anything that didn't fit in my pockets on the plane.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Never ever fly Alaska Air. I work as a courier and every day we get luggage from AlAir that, at average, has been missing for a week.

Had 6 suitcases today where the guy had clearly flown AlaskaAir before; every one had his address glued and taped on every side.

AA set up the delivery with the address one number off. I called the customer to verify, because the fuckheads at Alaska always gently caress up addresses. Customer was not surprised.

gently caress, one time I had a delivery to a literal intersection. The address was cross streets. Again, had to call the customer to verify.

Oh, and they never put a signature requirement. So if I had felt like not bothering and just left suitcases wherever, customer would be hosed.

Ok so Alaskan airlines is ASA, not AA. And even American airlines isnt AA it's AAL. I don't really expect you to know that because you probably don't work with airlines much, but I get calls all drat day from airline dispatchers who work don't even know their own airlines identifiers and I want to gripe about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've had LA natives telling me for years that LAX is a terrible piece of poo poo but I was there for the first time a month ago and it seemed fine. Pretty (at least where I was), but with kind of expensive food which I imagine is a Cali thing in general.

My wife's family lives in Thailand and I've flown there a few times to visit. No offense to my Chinese brothers and sisters but gently caress the Beijing airport. No matter how much time I have between landing and my connecting flight, I'm always running to my gate because they make you re-ticket and go back through Customs and Security and it takes for-loving-ever and there's only ever one person doing tickets and passport check. The Hong Kong airport is dope though, I'm hoping that next time I go I'll get routed through that or Tokyo-Narita (also dope but haven't been through there since 2010)

Also if you ever have to fly within Asia get on Nok Air. They paint all of their planes to look like cartoon birds and the flight crew are all super-nice.

• Locked thread