Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Skytrax is the site to check out reviews for world wide Airlines and Airports and their rankings.

Generally airlines from America tend to rank low. The best placed US airline is Delta at 32nd place out of 100, American Airlines at 74 and United at 78.

Looking at the top 20 for 2017 I've flown with 9 of those airlines in the past 10 years or so, mainly long haul, but short haul with Qantas, Virgin Australia and Air NZ. Good experiences with all of them.
I totally agree with Qatar and Singapore airlines being the top 2, they are great even in economy and Changi Airport is amazing with beautiful facilities such as a butterfly garden, indoor rainforest, great bars and restaurants, comfortable seating, free wifi etc.

I would say to any Americans out there, if you are flying out of the US and can use a non US airline, do it. The difference is pretty stark. No airline is perfect and different people have different expectations, but having flown through a couple of US airports (Newark and Miami) I wouldn't rush to repeat the experience.

I'm also looking forward to checking out Qantas' new route between Perth and Heathrow next time I go back to the UK. It'll be a 5hr flight to Perth from Sydney, then 17 hrs to London, so around the same total time for flying as going the other routes but the Dreamliners look pretty good. Link

Helith has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ReidRansom posted:

Has anyone here flown Jetstar? I know it's a budget airline of some sort, but I don't know what to expect. Can't be bad since it's Qantas-affiliated, right? I'm flying to Sydney (16:50 hrs yay) on Sunday and then on to Townsville, and that was the only OneWorld option that didn't require an extra stop in Brisbane.

I've flown Jetstar once. They should be fine. They are actually owned by Qantas but are their no-frills budget line, so expect no-frills. Either take your own snacks on board if you think you'll want to eat on the flight or have some Aussie cash or your credit card ready to buy some food on board. You'll get free water. I honestly don't know if the flight will have entertainment. I'd lean towards no and it's a fairly short domestic flight from Sydney to Townsville 2-3 hrs right? So take a book, ipad, kindle or something to do.

You'll land at Sydney International but you'll need to transfer to the Domestic terminal which is in another building to get your Townsville flight. I've never actually done that as Sydney is my home airport. It looks like there's a bus you pay for(which is a bit poo poo as other Aussie airports have had free transfers) or if you are flying Qantas or Virgin they offer a shuttle service.
If you have a biometric Aussie, NZ, UK, Canadian, US and some other countries passport, you can go through the Smartgates for passport control which are a lot quicker than queuing up for border control, though you won't get a stamp in your passport. You'll also have filled in a landing card on your flight in which will ask you all sorts of quarantine and customs relevant questions, so you'll need to queue to hand those in but unless it's busy it's usually pretty quick.

Oh, and welcome to Straya mate!

• Locked thread