Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've only flown commercial once since I was very young, up to New York this past May 31st. I can safely say that other than speed, I don't enjoy a single thing about flying compared to a road trip.

Driving is slow as balls, sure, but you can always share the responsibility with others. You're not restricted to your route so you can pull off for food, restroom breaks, or something interesting you randomly saw at any given time. You can use your phone without having to pay for wi-fi. You don't need to arrive 3 hours early to trundle through a crowded security line and get pulled for an extra pat-down because you left your boarding pass in your pocket on the scanner and they saw the paper in your pants. There's no chance that another driver will suddenly knock on your window as you get ready to leave the house and tell you that your seat has been revoked because the minivan was overbooked and bashing your face into the windshield if you don't cancel your trip.

The biggest thing, though, is luggage. Not only can I take more luggage than I can reasonably carry (plus stuff like a cooler full of drinks) thanks to pulling up directly to my hotel and grabbing a cart, I can buy as much as I want to take home; souvenirs, new clothes, regional foods and drinks (another good reason to bring a cooler!), etc. We always end up leaving with a van or SUV stuffed to the brim with goodies for home.

Basically, if I don't need to be in New York City in 2 hours, driving has so many advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

Millennials Are Getting Their Own Airline and That’s Good for Everyone

http://fortune.com/2017/07/21/millennials-airline-air-france-joon/

Old people keep thinking millennials are some alien species that you need to carefully craft an "experience" for to appeal to them, and it's always things like an Internet addiction and short attention span.

You know what we want, my bro my man my squeeze? Shorter security waits, lower prices, and being treated like actual human beings instead of money-spewing punching bags.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

I always fly the first flight of the day... less crowds, and everyone else flying is equally type-A about getting their poo poo together

One time, at 4 aM, the guy in front of me kept having to go through the metal detector and take something else off. He was ~80 years old, so after a while I started giving him the heckle, "uh-oh, looks like we got a troublemaker here!"

I get on my flight two hours later, and guess who is sitting next to me. So I shout out "great! I get to sit next to the trouble!" We talked through the entire 4-hour flight and still correspond.

The flight I took to NYC was the first of the day, boarding at 6:20 AM. I tried watching a movie I had saved on my phone, but instead I joined with everyone else and just fell asleep for the 2 hours.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I also made sure to book months in advance and assign myself a seat!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cumslut1895 posted:

What the gently caress? Why is that banned?

The TSA made a blog post in 2016 recommending that large stacks of comics, magazines, etc. be put in carry-on because they might trigger bag searches. United may have dramatically misinterpreted this as a rule rather than a suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, one other thing I did on my flight to make things easier: because I was joining other people up north who were leaving before me via car, I had them take all of my baggage so I didn't have anything that didn't fit in my pockets on the plane.

• Locked thread