Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Introduction
After a troubling vision, the Avatar returns to Britannia only to be framed for kidnapping a baron's daughter. Now he must once again traverse the Stygian Abyss, this time to clear his name and unravel a sinister series of events that have been set in motion. There is no hope of escape until the deed is done. However, the Abyss has changed. A man called Lord Cabirus tried to establish a colony bound to the 8 virtues, but the grand experiment died with him. Some say he died of natural causes. Others whisper of foul deeds and poison. Either way, the remaining denizens of the Abyss are all prisoners now, the various races constantly bickering among one another.

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, developed by Blue Sky (Looking Glass Studios) and released in 1992, was the first fully 3D open world RPG adventure ever created (I think). If you were born after the mid 80's, it's probably safe to think of it as your dad's Skyrim. It's the game that inspired the Wolfenstein 3D engine.

It's my understanding that while this game is only loosely tied to the rest of the Ultima series, the game takes place sometime between Ultima 6 and 7.

If you want to play the game for yourself, you can pick up UU and UU2 on GOG, both in the same package.

About the Playthrough
I've played through the vast majority of the game once, and I've seen an LP that someone else did, so I have some familiarity with the game. I definitely don't remember much of the details, so I'll use a guide to keep things moving if necessary. I'm going to read aloud most all the stuff that NPC's blurp at us. Not going to try to do voices, but some voices may happen just due to the way some of these goofy bastards talk. It's not quite Canterbury Tales, but there's a lot of "dost this" and "canst that" going on, among other things.
Now that I've absolved myself of all sin with that qualifier :sweep:, I must admit that I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to Ultima lore. I've played through a bit of 3 and 4 and read the Memoirs of Cabirus that came with the game, so I know a thing or two about a thing or two, but that's about it. If you have any lore bombs related to Underworld that stem from other games or the Ultima universe, feel free to share. It's something I'd like to know more about. It's my intent to at least create a bonus video after a couple episodes, relaying some of what's in the Memoirs so the story has some additional context.

Our version of the avatar will be Wyndal, the Shepherd. Weapon of choice? His mighty fist of virtue! :kratos:

Thread Journal
If you see something in the latest video that you think should go in the thread journal, make a post and let me know.

Update Schedule
This LP is complete!

Thread Rules
Just tag your spoilers / hints for this game until we've covered the topic in a video.

Episodes

Sound Test (Audio gets updated from MS GS Wavetable Synth to Roland CM-32L emulation from Ep 6 on)

Series Playlist

It's video games. Every day...ish.
http://www.youtube.com/rojovision
http://www.twitch.tv/rojovision

rojovision fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
The game still looks OK graphically in my opinion. The controls suck rear end, though.

Runes
Each of the spell runes in UU has a meaning.

Combining these runes allows you to cast spells (from the manual):

rojovision fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 4, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
================ Ye Olde Thread Journal of Important Things ================

This is a compilation of knowledge kept by the thread. Information contained under an episode header ("Ep1" "Ep2" etc) represents what we learned during that episode, so you may want to hold off on reading those bits of info until you've watched the episode.

Locations
  • Floor 1
    • Ep2
      • The Outcast camp is west from the Abyss entrance, then north across a ravine we must jump over
    • Ep4
      • Somewhere in the southeast is a shrine of virtue (looks like a plain ankh, it's place to level up our skills using mantras)
    • Ep5
      • In a crystal ball, we saw a green path through a black void. The green path leads to Britannia.
    • Ep6
      • Jacaar of the gray goblins hinted that their privy has a dangerous drop, possibly to level 2.
      • We found the grave of Korianous, apparently the architect of the civilized portions of the Abyss. He died before he could see his work completed when a stone block fell on his head.
  • Floor 2
    • Ep2
      • Supposedly the Mountainmen live somewhere on this floor.
    • Ep8
      • The mountainfolk mines in the SE have been invaded by some sort of floating tentacle beast.
      • Ironwit has lost his blueprints. They may be in the SE part of his complex or in the storeroom. To get to the storeroom we'll need to fly. There's a spiral room with two potions, one flying and one poison, and supposedly "green is good and red is rotten." Key to the spiral room is in the golden maze room - follow the golden path.
    • Ep9
      • A crystal ball showed us a room with blue walls and a gold square on the floor. There was some kind of stone or gem in the room along with some rotworms.
    • Ep14
      • We located a mountainman named Shak in the mines who knew of two of Cabirus' talismans.
  • Floor 3
    • Ep10
      • We found a settlement of Lizardmen.
      • There were a group of bandits near the Lizardmen who we fought, though they were not initially hostile.
    • Ep11
      • We found writing on the wall that read, "Tom loves Judy."
      • We met a slightly odd man named Zak who sells light sources.
      • Another plaque reads, "Go to the very base of the Abyss, then battle your way back up, to find the key to your fortitude."
      • There was a note that read, "Look for Thieves' hideout behind storage room." There was also a key with "E" and "W" markings in the same pouch. This likely refers to the area where we recently fought the bandits.
    • Ep13
      • We found writing on the wall that read, "Magic Crystal exposes hidden tombs and monsters."
  • Floor 4
    • Ep16
      • Knights inhabit the western area.
      • Trolls inhabit the eastern area.
      • Roderick the Chaos Knight inhabits the northern area where the banquet hall is
      • An outcast named Oradinar told us of a pond with many fish that lies north of his location.
    • Ep18
      • In the NE is the Puzzle of the Bullfrog. Use levers and buttons to create a safe path. The wand found nearby resets the puzzle.
      • In the NW is the Maze of Silas, which has many secret doors. Behind one such door, the Door of Precious Levers lies the resting place of a knight.
      • The Door of Precious Levers secrets may be unlocked by the artifacts of the knights. The graves in their area had several silver and gold dots. Sir Lionir - Silver, Gold, Gold. Sir Avirill - Silver, Silver, Gold.
      • There is a water filled area west of the Abyss's volcanic core, leading to two pools, and sporting an impressive waterfall. One pool is supposedly easy to get to from the lizardmen's domain so asking in their language may help. The other pool is south of the shaft where many fish are.
    • Ep22
      • There was an orb behind an illusory wall in the Bullfrog Puzzle. It showed us a room with two men in blue robes.
  • Floor 5
    • Ep20
      • Past the Puzzle of the Bullfrog on floor 4, we found a graveyard. Some gravestones had names, others didn't.
      • Named graves in the graveyard included Garamon, Sir Sturmvak, Lady Gwytha, and Sir Nog.
      • The graveyard also had graves for several gargoyles. Two plaques on the wall nearby read: "Here lie those Gargoyles who perished during the great plague shortly after the foundation of the Colony of the Abyss. The effort they made to improve the Abyss shall not be forgotten. Although no more gargoyles will reside in the Abyss, we thank them for the sacrifice they made."
    • Ep23
      • We located a settlement of ghouls who were surprisingly not hostile.
    • Ep24
      • We found a lonely woman named Judy near some lava, who is waiting to hear word of her missing lover Tom.
  • Floor 6
    • Ep26
      • We have located the settlement of the Seers on this floor.
      • There is a library west of the great hall.
      • A powerful golem resides in the western section of this floor
      • An insane mage named Vilus resides in the northeastern section of this floor.
      • If we go to the meeting hall east of Gralwart and "shoot right between the eyes" we will be able to find a Vas runestone. We will need to put emeralds on the corner platforms and then press the gray button in the middle of the room as well.

Baron's Daughter (Ariel)
  • Ep1
    • Framed for her kidnapping, we have been trapped in the Stygian Abyss by her father Baron Almric, and tasked with finding her if we ever hope to escape. A troll and spellcaster are responsible for the kidnapping.
  • Ep4
    • She was carried off somewhere below floor 1 by a troll.
  • Ep16
    • A knight said that a maiden's body was found on a lower level. It's not clear who the body actually is, though.
  • Ep23
    • Shanklick told us she saw a troll with the baron's daughter. He probably took her to the mad wizard's lair below.

Dreams
  • Ep1
    • A ghost has warned us of impending doom in Britannia, and that his brother is somehow involved. We followed the ghost and have resumed our role there as the Avatar.
  • Ep3
    • The ghost implored us to seek out the civilized inhabitants of the Abyss.
  • Ep11
    • The ghost mentioned something about "combined efforts."

Talismans
  • Ep3
    • Vernix told us that Lord Cabirus gathered 8 talismans, one per virtue, and intended for them to go to each faction's leader. However, the green goblins never got one, so Vernix assumes them lost.
  • Ep6
    • Ketcheval told us that Cabirus committed suicide by poison after learning that his experiment of a colony in the Abyss failed.
  • Ep8
    • Corby told us that Cabirus died of a broken spirit.
  • Ep13
    • Ishtass told us that a "mad wizard" worked nearby to break a great sword apart.
  • Ep14
    • One of the talismans is Caliburn, the sword of justice which was forged by Flamebeard. It was broken in two.
      • Clue 1: "Search for Blade in SE (of floor 3). Behind wall, secrets are."
      • Clue 2: "Ghastly ones broken haft have."
      • Clue 3: "Ask Shanklik about crazy wizard."
    • One of the talismans is the Shield of Valor which once belonged to Blackthorne. Shak could probably identify it if we show it to him.
  • Ep18
    • Some crazy person stole a bunch of lights from the knights and fled to one of the levels above. One of these lights was the Taper of Sacrifice.
    • Somewhere on level 5 is a switch puzzle that guards the Ring of Humility. NW, SE, NE, SW - stay away from the middle of the room.
  • Ep20
    • We found a broken hilt amongst the graves on floor 5. It looks different than other broken swords we've come across.
  • Ep26
    • As it turns out, Murgo was the servant of Dr. Owl. Owl thanked us by telling us the location of the Wine of Compassion. In the checkerboard room east of the meeting hall, lift the southeast floor tile.

========== Factions ==========

Ghouls
  • Ep23
    • Eysnack taught us Mardin's Song of Wonder using our flute. Supposedly something wondrous will happen if played in the right place. The notes are 3 5 4 2 3 7 8 7 5.
    • Kneenibble wants 10 fish in exchange for the combination to the mine dispatch chamber.
  • Ep24
    • Kneenibble told us the combination to open the door to the mines - 7 2 6.

Gray Goblins
  • Ep3
    • Ketchaval is terribly henpecked by his wife according to Vernix.
  • Ep6
    • Ketchaval is having problems with a spider called Navrey Night-eyes whose web is strong as iron and doesn't burn. We probably had already dealt with her.

Green Goblins
  • Ep3
    • Vernix and possibly others of their race seem to be on good terms with the lizardmen.
    • Vernix hates Ketchaval and wishes to poison him or his wife.

Knights
  • Ep3
    • According to Vernix, the knights are at war with the trolls.
  • Ep16
    • A knight named Kyle asked us to join their order, and that we should speak with Dorna.
    • Dorna tested us to initiate us into the order. We failed the first time, but succeeded on the second. He gave us a quest to recover the Writ of Lorne, supposedly in the troll area.
  • Ep18
    • After returning the Writ of Lorne, Dorna gave us a new quest to locate a stolen golden plate, last known to be at the grave of Sir Ingvar. Roderick holds the key to a maze with many secret doors (presumably where the grave is).
  • Ep19
    • Lady Ree told us of a golem on one of the floors below (below 4) who knights would challenge to fights. It was indestructible, but if one fought well it would sometimes offer rewards.
    • A scroll belonging to the knights mentioned that the bullfrog puzzle has a simple solution, but there is more than meets the eye there.
    • A scroll belonging to the knights said, "To pass into the unseen, jump through the seen."

Lizardmen
  • Ep3
    • The lizardmen have their own language. "Sseth" and "'click" mean "yes" and "no," but which is which?
  • Ep11
    • Sseetharee seems to be an important lizardman that we should talk to.
    • The Lizardmen have a human prisoner who seems to be guarded by Sseetharee.
  • Ep12
    • The lizardmen's prisoner was named Urgo, jailed for allegedly attacking lizardmen and stealing food. He is mute, but knew their language well enough to teach us some of it. We secured his freedom by bargaining with Sseetharee.
  • Ep13
    • There are gray lizardmen in addition to green and red. The gray ones call themselves the "Quiet Ones" and can speak our language, rather than only being able to understand it.
    • Their leader is named Iss'leek
    • Another leader of the lizardmen named Ossikka went upstream to kill a lurker, but never returned.

Mountainmen
  • Ep3
    • They make nice things. Mostly metalwork.
  • Ep8
    • It seems like they may not like being called "dwarves."

Outcasts
  • Ep2
    • They are a group of humans.

Seers
  • Ep3
    • They deal mostly in scrolls / spells.
  • Ep23
    • They live below level 5.
  • Ep26
    • Dominus can identify items for us for a fee.
    • Bronus asked us to deliver a book to Morlock. We are not supposed to open the book.
    • Illomo is looking for Gurstang who went to the lower floors looking for the Key of Truth. He has not returned, and Illomo thinks he may have fallen into the hands of Tyball.
    • Dr. Owl gave us a flam runestone for free.
    • Ranthru wants us to recover the book "On the Properties of Runestones" that Vilus stole.

Spiders
  • Ep5
    • Are assholes and can jump.

Trolls
  • Ep16
    • We found a note near the troll settlement addressed to someone named Lakshi asking for a favor, and to tell the writer's messenger her response.
    • They don't much care for the knights.

========== Etc ==========

Named Characters
If you see a name above and aren't sure who they are, this partial glossary of named characters may help.
  • Almric: The baron whose daughter was kidnapped, and the man who forcefully sent us to the Abyss to save her.
  • Ariel: The kidnapped daughter of Baron Almric.
  • Cabirus: A virtuous man and the founder of the Abyss colony
  • Corby: A scribe who knew Cabirus
  • Dorna: The leader of the Knights of the Crux Ansata
  • Ironwit: An addled dwarf who has lost his blueprints
  • Ishtass: A gray lizardman
  • Iss'leek: A leader of the lizardmen
  • Ketchaval: King of the gray goblins
  • Kyle: One of the knights
  • Lakshi: A troll who was asked for a favor by an unknown person
  • Oradinar: An outcast
  • Ossikka: A missing leader of the lizardmen
  • Roderick: The Chaos Knight
  • Shak: A mountainman and expert craftsman
  • Shanklick: Someone who apparently knows about a "mad wizard." Possibly a "Ghastly One?"
  • Sseetharee: A green lizardman who seems to be important
  • Urgo: A mute human who was captured by the lizardmen
  • Vernix: King of the green goblins
  • Zak: A slightly odd man who sells light sources

Spells
  • Ep4
    • Uus Por ("Raise Movement"): Jump
  • Ep9
    • In Sanct ("Cause Protection"): Thick Skin
  • Ep13
    • Ylem Por ("Matter Movement"): Water Walking
  • Ep16
    • An Sanct ("Negate Protection"): Curse
  • Ep16
    • An Corp Mani ("Negate Death Life"): Harm Undead

Mantras
  • Ep5
    • Mu Ahm: mantra of Truth ("mysterious arts")
    • Om Cah: mantra of Love ("mastery of practical skills")
    • Summ Ra: mantra of Courage ("honor and valor in battle")
  • Ep9
    • Ra: attack
    • Un: charm
    • Hunn: appraise
  • Ep11
    • Sahf: tracking
    • Ora: unarmed
    • Ono: swimming
  • Ep13
    • Anra: defense
    • Lu: search
  • Ep14
    • Lon: repair
  • Ep18
    • Fahm: missile
    • Koh: blunt
    • Gar: axe
    • Amo: sword
  • Ep20
    • Lahn: lore
  • Ep22
    • Fal: acrobatics
  • Ep23
    • Romm: lockpick
  • Ep25
    • Mul: sneak

Lizardman Language
  • Ep12
    • Bica: hello / greetings
    • 'Click: no
    • Eppa: return / come back / go
    • Isili: I / me
    • Ossli: a lot / enough
    • Sel'a: give / trade
    • Sorr: enemy
    • Sorra: steal
    • Sseth: yes
    • Sstresh: help
    • Thes'click: attack
    • Tosa: you
    • Yeshor'click: friend
    • Yethe: kill
    • Zekka: food
  • Ep13
    • Kri'kla: lurker
    • Sor'click: stranger
    • Thepa: lizardmen
    • Thesh: to like
    • Thit: need

Contributors: Tax Refund, Old Grey Guy, Antistar01

rojovision fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 15, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 1 - Creating the Avatar
We create our incarnation of the Avatar, talk briefly about the game, and check out the intro sequence

Episode 2 - Enter the Abyss
Trapped in the Stygian Abyss, the quest to save the baron's daughter and clear our name begins.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 20, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, Ultima Underworld. That takes me back. I didn't play it right when it was new as my family didn't get an "IBM Compatible" until 1995, a few years after the game came out. I was given The Complete Ultima VII for my birthday that year and it was my favourite game of all time until Morrowind eventually came along.

I did play Ultima Underworld sometime in the mid-90s, though, spurred on by how much I liked Ultima 7. Pretty amazing that it came out (just) before Wolfenstein 3D but was more advanced than Doom, even. Sloped surfaces, looking up and down, jumping, swimming (of a sort)... Pity about the bizarre controls though, yeah. It took a surprisingly long time for game devs to arrive at the standard first-person mouse(look) and keyboard controls we take for granted now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

rojogames posted:

The controls suck rear end, though.
The controls are a proto-form of shifted-WASD with mouselook. You can even circle-strafe. Have you entertained the possibility that it's just you? :v:

Seriously though, nice to see this game here, even with the most boring class/weapon imaginable.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 19, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Loved this game, Loved Ultima 7, loved the other games, still haven't forgiven EA for putting resources into Ultima Online instead of Ultima 9.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
A friend of mine had this game when I was a kid, and it fascinated me. Magic runes, mushrooms that (as I recall) could be combined into some sort of potions if you knew the right ingredients to use, a variety of friendly beings to interact with (and not-so-friendly beings to kill)... It's too bad that my friend had (I think) pirated the game, as I never saw any sort of manual so I could never figure out the spells. Made playing the game too difficult for me, and I gave up — so I'm really looking forward to finding out what was in it.

That was a pretty effective copy-protection scheme in the pre-Internet days, come to think of it: just include vital information in the manual. Most kids who would pirate video games wouldn't have easy access to a photocopier (and might shy away from asking teachers to copy something like a game manual, as it would be too obvious what they were doing), so by keeping vital information in the manual you ensured that a significant proportion of your potential customers would have to buy the game if they wanted to enjoy it.

Speaking of manuals, is there a digital copy of the game's manual floating around the Internet anywhere? This was the era when manuals had some care and attention to detail put into them, so I'd like to see it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh man, enjoying this so far. I think I even requested this in the request thread. This game seems awesome, but I imagine playing it on a modern system would be hard - at least for computer illiterate folks like me.
What are some other games like it? Besides, obviously, it's sequel and Pathways into Darkness. Never played Ultima Underworld - or any of them - as a kid, but did play a fair bit of PID in my teens after I discovered the magic of pre-Halo Bungie.

Tax Refund posted:

Speaking of manuals, is there a digital copy of the game's manual floating around the Internet anywhere? This was the era when manuals had some care and attention to detail put into them, so I'd like to see it.

http://replacementdocs.com/

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Tax Refund posted:

That was a pretty effective copy-protection scheme in the pre-Internet days, come to think of it: just include vital information in the manual. Most kids who would pirate video games wouldn't have easy access to a photocopier (and might shy away from asking teachers to copy something like a game manual, as it would be too obvious what they were doing), so by keeping vital information in the manual you ensured that a significant proportion of your potential customers would have to buy the game if they wanted to enjoy it.

There were some pretty intricate paper-and-cardboard related copy protection measures back in the day. I remember things like code wheels, and sections of manuals printed on dark purple paper so you couldn't photocopy them.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh man, enjoying this so far. I think I even requested this in the request thread. This game seems awesome, but I imagine playing it on a modern system would be hard - at least for computer illiterate folks like me.
What are some other games like it? Besides, obviously, it's sequel and Pathways into Darkness. Never played Ultima Underworld - or any of them - as a kid, but did play a fair bit of PID in my teens after I discovered the magic of pre-Halo Bungie.

Arx Fatalis was definitely a spiritual successor. It was made by Arkane, who went on to make Dark Messiah, Dishonoured and Prey, of course. I couldn't really get into Arx Fatalis when I tried it though, and stopped fairly early on in the game. I found it too heavy on the arbitrary adventure-game-ish puzzles. There was an LP of it here sometime recently, but I can't find in in the LP Archive.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

This is definitely the sort of game that expects you to keep a piece of paper handy to write down what you learn, like "Sseth and 'click mean yes and no to the Lizardmen, but we don't know which is which yet."

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
if you dont spend 20 minutes trying to punch kite the first lurker you come across you're doing it wrong imo.

Ultima Underworld is great (and UU2 to a slightly lesser degree) and i'm glad its getting a LP. Back in the day it was pretty easy to get lost and not quite sure what to do next, especially with some of the backtracking required. Playing the game nowadays should be as simple as DOSbox if you're keen to try it out.

What was most impressive to me as a kid was the automap and note functionality. I spent way too long trying to make impossible jumps so i hope to see this replicated.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 3 - Mind Thy Manners
We make contact with our first settlement in the Abyss, and have a lovely conversation with their leader.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Pierzak posted:

The controls are a proto-form of shifted-WASD with mouselook. You can even circle-strafe. Have you entertained the possibility that it's just you? :v:

Seriously though, nice to see this game here, even with the most boring class/weapon imaginable.

Yeah I know some people really don't mind the keyboard controls. I know others actually like using the mouse to control movement, but that one never took with me. As for weapon, I hear you. My first playthrough was an axe wielding bard, but I was curious to see if an unarmed playthrough was viable. Shepherd just seemed to fit the theme.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

...but I imagine playing it on a modern system would be hard...

What are some other games like it?

If you pick it up on GOG (link in the main post) it's actually very simple since they've done all the DOSBox setup for you. It's pretty likely you can just click and go, like any modern game (aside from the gameplay barriers to entry - i.e. you gotta read the manual).

Like Antistar01 said, Arx Fatalis is supposed to be a spiritual successor though I've never played much of it. You'd probably want to look into Arx Libertatis to get it running well on modern machines. If you swapped out a fantasy dungeon for a sci-fi space station, I would argue that the recent Prey game has some similar elements when it comes to player freedom. It's weird...I'm actually having a tough time thinking of similar games.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 20, 2017

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Can you stop reading out loud all the text in the game, it makes it feel like the video is for preschoolers

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

fadderman posted:

Can you stop reading out loud all the text in the game, it makes it feel like the video is for preschoolers

Counterpoint: I'm usually annoyed by people reading text out loud in videos, but I'm enjoying it this time. You're going quickly through it, and it does make the game feel a bit more fleshed-out (those old games had no voice acting for practical technical reasons, like the amount of data you could fit on a single floppy disk).

BTW, sorry for accidentally posting a (minor) spoiler for the video in my previous comment. I had seen the video come up on the Youtube playlist, and hadn't realized that you hadn't yet posted it in the thread. Next time I'll hold off on posting about the video until you've posted it to the thread.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

fadderman posted:

tl;dr: No, sorry.

I know the whole reading aloud thing is not everyone's cup of tea, but there are at least as many people who have watched my stuff in the past that either don't mind or prefer it, according to my analytics. There are reasons I read things out loud beyond a stylistic choice. One reason is it makes it easier to keep myself and you on the same page. I could read most of this stuff to myself pretty quickly, but someone else may not be able to, and having to constantly pause the video if you want to read things is worse than the alternative in my opinion. Another reason is many people may not be closely watching the LP (having it on for background ambience while playing games or cooking or whatever). Not reading out loud creates two issues there - one is those people will always miss huge chunks of story, and the other is it creates a lot of dead air. I don't consider myself to be a shouty over the top LPer, but I also don't usually have long bouts of silence either. Anyway, I hope that helps explain things a bit. Sorry if this series isn't for you because of it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tax Refund posted:

BTW, sorry for accidentally posting a (minor) spoiler for the video in my previous comment. I had seen the video come up on the Youtube playlist, and hadn't realized that you hadn't yet posted it in the thread. Next time I'll hold off on posting about the video until you've posted it to the thread.

No problem. Normally I'm going to do an update post at the same time as the video release - just got distracted by something else and then totally forgot to do the update this time around.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Actually, I just thought of a question. It seems like you're doing your commentary live, rather than recording over the video of an already-played session — which means you won't necessarily want to take time to write things down, since that would create dead air that you'd have to edit out later. Would you find it useful if someone in the thread (like me*, but it could be anyone who hasn't played the game) took notes that we thought were relevant during the video, and posted them in the thread later? Something like,

pre:
Directions to the outcast encampment: from the entrance, go east, then north. Have to jump over a ravine to get there.
In Lizardmen language, sseth and 'click mean yes and no. TODO: Find out which is which.
I can't promise that I'll keep up with the videos as they get posted — I do have a job and all that — but since I'll probably be jotting down notes to myself anyway, I'd be happy to post them in the thread if you'd find it useful; just give the word.

* Since I only played the game when I was a kid, and never made much progress in it even back then, there's not much chance I'll be able to post any spoilers.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ultima Underworld is definitely the sort of game where you need to make notes while playing. (And were likely expected to; it comes from that era.) I used to use a notepad or scrap paper or something, but I guess you could also make notes in the "margins" of the map screen, if they're not too extensive.

I don't know what your recording process is like, but you could probably pause the recording to make notes if you wanted, without it being too jarring. You could maybe mention what you're noting down while you're at it too; it's all part of the experience.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
This is pretty cool. I never played this, and I'm interested to see it, so this is great!

Antistar01 posted:

Arx Fatalis was definitely a spiritual successor. It was made by Arkane, who went on to make Dark Messiah, Dishonoured and Prey, of course. I couldn't really get into Arx Fatalis when I tried it though, and stopped fairly early on in the game. I found it too heavy on the arbitrary adventure-game-ish puzzles. There was an LP of it here sometime recently, but I can't find in in the LP Archive.

That would be PiCroft's rather excellent LP of Arx Fatalis? It comes highly recommended:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734186

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

That would be PiCroft's rather excellent LP of Arx Fatalis? It comes highly recommended:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734186
And here's a link to the youtube playlist for those without Archives: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1-f_qxBcyTe2Q9xksgClKz_LMmMIWtET

As for this game, Ultima Underworld is one of my favourite RPGs of all time: I've always been a fan of the Ultima series, but this game is just fantastic with a great combination of elements that improve the immersiveness.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tax Refund posted:

Actually, I just thought of a question. It seems like you're doing your commentary live, rather than recording over the video of an already-played session — which means you won't necessarily want to take time to write things down, since that would create dead air that you'd have to edit out later. Would you find it useful if someone in the thread (like me*, but it could be anyone who hasn't played the game) took notes that we thought were relevant during the video, and posted them in the thread later? Something like,

pre:
Directions to the outcast encampment: from the entrance, go east, then north. Have to jump over a ravine to get there.
In Lizardmen language, sseth and 'click mean yes and no. TODO: Find out which is which.
I can't promise that I'll keep up with the videos as they get posted — I do have a job and all that — but since I'll probably be jotting down notes to myself anyway, I'd be happy to post them in the thread if you'd find it useful; just give the word.

* Since I only played the game when I was a kid, and never made much progress in it even back then, there's not much chance I'll be able to post any spoilers.

Sure if you or anyone else wants to help keep track of stuff we've learned it could at least be a fun side project for the thread. I can try to keep track of things we've learned in the reserved post and just hide them with spoiler tags for new people that may roll in later on. If you all have anything else you think should be added based on what we've seen so far, let me know.

Edit: One minor thing - it was WEST and then north :v:

rojovision fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 21, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Tax Refund posted:

pre:

I'm really hoping this is going to be like the alien gods riddle where you have to solve something without knowing which is which, but I can't foresee this game having the complexity of dialogue to accomplish that.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 4 - Trust Not the Lubberly Foot
We attempt to locate the Outcasts and quickly learn that the waters of the Abyss are a dangerous place. How does the Avatar keep his torch lit while swimming, you ask? Sheer virtuous willpower. Probably.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Oops, thanks for catching that error.

Other notes from episode 2:

pre:
The Mountainmen live below the humans - on level 2, presumably.
Notes from episode 3:

pre:
The green goblin's king mentioned several races/factions:
  * The Mountainmen make some nice things, mostly metalwork.
  * The Ancient Illuminated Seers of the Moonstone ("The Seers" for short) do scrolls, spells, etc.
    (Sounds like dwarves and wizards, respectively.)
  * The Lizardmen are allies with the green goblins, but have their own language.
  * Sseth and 'click mean "yes" and "no", or maybe "no" and "yes", in the Lizardman language.
  * There are also the Knights of the Crux Ansata, who are at war with the Trolls.
The green goblin king, Vernix, hates the gray goblin king, Ketchaval, and hopes to poison him someday.
Or maybe Ketchaval's wife, which would also work since "he's terribly henpecked" according to Vernix.
Sir Cabirus collected eight Talismans, one per Virtue, which were supposed to go to each group's leader.
Vernix says that the green goblins never got one. (Maybe the gray goblins stole it?)
I see you just put up episode 4, so I'll edit this post with episode 4 notes once I've watched it.

Notes from episode 4:

pre:
Uus Por for large jumps.
The girl we're looking for was seen being carried off "below" by a Troll.
A large, plain ankh in the ground is a shrine of Virtue (a leveling-up point).
There is supposedly a shrine in the SE area of the upper caves.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 22, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

This is the only Ultima game I ever got seriously into, and it's one of my favorite games of the time for sure. Glad to see it getting played!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Thanks. In the future you don't need to worry about spoiler tags for this stuff if you don't want to. Up to you, though. I'm only doing spoiler tags in the thread journal so people who come in halfway through don't accidentally see things ahead of schedule if they don't want to. Anyway this should all be added now, along with a couple minor notes I came up with from various episodes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the rune system for spells in this game. If you knew what the runes meant, you could logically make just about any spell you had the words for.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

rojogames posted:

Thanks. In the future you don't need to worry about spoiler tags for this stuff if you don't want to. Up to you, though. I'm only doing spoiler tags in the thread journal so people who come in halfway through don't accidentally see things ahead of schedule if they don't want to. Anyway this should all be added now, along with a couple minor notes I came up with from various episodes.

I used spoiler tags because my post showed up on the same page as the video links. One thing that has always annoyed me when I read video LPs on these forums is how I have to be really careful about how far I scroll on any given page if there have been multiple posts, because if I happen to hit PgDn and scroll past a video-link post, the very next post might contain comments about the video, and I'll get spoiled on something in the video that I just accidentally scrolled past. I don't like that happening to me, so I don't want to do it to someone else.

I probably could have skipped using spoiler tags for the notes on episodes 2 and 3 — but I think I'll continue to spoiler-tag any notes I write on an episode that was just posted, unless I'm late in posting and several other people have commented before I post, so that my notes would not yet be visible to anyone scrolling down with PgDn.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tax Refund posted:

I used spoiler tags because my post showed up on the same page as the video links. One thing that has always annoyed me when I read video LPs on these forums is how I have to be really careful about how far I scroll on any given page if there have been multiple posts, because if I happen to hit PgDn and scroll past a video-link post, the very next post might contain comments about the video, and I'll get spoiled on something in the video that I just accidentally scrolled past. I don't like that happening to me, so I don't want to do it to someone else.

I probably could have skipped using spoiler tags for the notes on episodes 2 and 3 — but I think I'll continue to spoiler-tag any notes I write on an episode that was just posted, unless I'm late in posting and several other people have commented before I post, so that my notes would not yet be visible to anyone scrolling down with PgDn.

Cool, makes sense.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

It's not a standing long jump situation
It definitely was. Standing long jump is not the best only when it might be too long.
Also, it helps to alight yourself to the squares (holding shift switches you to grid movement and is a good way to cheese swimming sections)

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
We're obviously quite a ways off from that, but Rojo; do you have any plans to do Underworld 2? I forget if you mentioned it in the videos.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

radintorov posted:

And here's a link to the youtube playlist for those without Archives: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1-f_qxBcyTe2Q9xksgClKz_LMmMIWtET

As for this game, Ultima Underworld is one of my favourite RPGs of all time: I've always been a fan of the Ultima series, but this game is just fantastic with a great combination of elements that improve the immersiveness.

Oh, yes, I'm an idiot :cripes: Thank you, obviously not everyone has archives.

rojogames posted:

Like Antistar01 said, Arx Fatalis is supposed to be a spiritual successor though I've never played much of it. You'd probably want to look into Arx Libertatis to get it running well on modern machines. If you swapped out a fantasy dungeon for a sci-fi space station, I would argue that the recent Prey game has some similar elements when it comes to player freedom. It's weird...I'm actually having a tough time thinking of similar games.

As for this, there was a kickstarter to make a sort of modernized version, which is hopefully progressing but is most likely vapourware at this point:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/description

https://otherside-e.com/wp/games/underworld-ascendant/

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh, yes, I'm an idiot :cripes: Thank you, obviously not everyone has archives.

As for this, there was a kickstarter to make a sort of modernized version, which is hopefully progressing but is most likely vapourware at this point:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/description

https://otherside-e.com/wp/games/underworld-ascendant/

No, dude, they send multiple emails per month on their status.

Posted this a while back in this huge, sprawling topic, too.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - Wherefore Art Thou Spider?
Spiders are bastards in this world and Britannia. I'll hear no arguments. Also we do a little leveling up via mantras for the first time.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Pierzak posted:

It definitely was. Standing long jump is not the best only when it might be too long.
Also, it helps to alight yourself to the squares (holding shift switches you to grid movement and is a good way to cheese swimming sections)

I tried it after recording the last video and you're right about the jump. Also thanks for bringing up grid movement. I probably won't use it much, but I didn't know it existed, so that's cool.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We're obviously quite a ways off from that, but Rojo; do you have any plans to do Underworld 2? I forget if you mentioned it in the videos.

No plans for UU2 at the moment. It's more tied into the main Ultima story, taking place between Ultima 7 part 1 and Ultima 7 part 2 as I understand it. I'd need to decide if I wanted to play 7 on the channel first, for continuity, or even go all the way back and do a heavily edited playthrough of 4 and then 5 and 6 first as well (all of which I haven't played at all except for a little of 4). It's still a cool game, though, and I may decide to just play it sometime, story continuity be damned.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, dude, they send multiple emails per month on their status.

Posted this a while back in this huge, sprawling topic, too.

Cool. I had wondered what was going on with Underworld Ascendant. Glad to hear things are progressing.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I never played this game but i do like this fisty playthrough.

Only thing that jarred is your horrible mispronounciation of the word "cudgel"

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I never played this game but i do like this fisty playthrough.

Only thing that jarred is your horrible mispronounciation of the word "cudgel"

Haha, just goofing off. You'll hear me say it correctly at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Argh why are you passing that corn for the 3rd time without making popcorn :argh:

• Locked thread