Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Watching a few videos more, this might be one of the first videogames to have real time context sensitive music.

rojogames posted:

Haha, just goofing off. You'll hear me say it correctly at some point.
I DEMAND PROPER LINGUISTICS IN MEIN LASST UNS SPIELEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Pierzak posted:

Argh why are you passing that corn for the 3rd time without making popcorn :argh:

I can offer no excuses. Only my sincerest regrets.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Notes for episode 5:

pre:
Mu Ahm:  mantra of Truth,   for "the mysterious arts" (magic?)
Om Cah:  mantra of Love,    for "the mastery of practical skills"
Summ Ra: mantra of Courage, for "honor and valor in battle"

In crystal ball, saw a green path through the black void. Green path leads to Britannia.
No need for spoiler tags this time since we're on a new page.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tax Refund posted:

Notes for episode 5:

pre:

In crystal ball, saw a green path through the black void. Green path leads to Britannia.

I think those were mentioned in the manual in case you missed the first shrine.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

rojogames posted:

No plans for UU2 at the moment. It's more tied into the main Ultima story, taking place between Ultima 7 part 1 and Ultima 7 part 2 as I understand it. I'd need to decide if I wanted to play 7 on the channel first, for continuity, or even go all the way back and do a heavily edited playthrough of 4 and then 5 and 6 first as well (all of which I haven't played at all except for a little of 4). It's still a cool game, though, and I may decide to just play it sometime, story continuity be damned.

I've occasionally tried to find a decent video LP of Ultima 7 without any luck. Everyone (on youtube) who LPs it seems to be the sort of person who sees a game with no voice acting and thinks "I have a voice! I'll do the voice acting!" :downs: And then puts on incredibly annoying voices for every - single - conversation.

Anyway, I never did play Ultima Underworld 2; it would be interesting to see.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Added.

Pierzak posted:

I think those were mentioned in the manual in case you missed the first shrine.

That's correct.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Can I make a suggestion: change the MIDI device to Soundblaster, General Midi sounds so bad, though I do admit the sound effects are pretty funny, such as piano notes for footsteps like in an old silent film.

Otherwise it's interesting seeing someone do an Unarmed playthrough of this game. I never really found unarmed skills in games useful since half of the point of these games is finding better weapons to kill things with.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 26, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

wafflemoose posted:

Can I make a suggestion: change the MIDI device to Soundblaster, General Midi sounds so bad, though I do admit the sound effects are pretty funny, such as piano notes for footsteps like in an old silent film.

Based on your advice I looked into this and actually took it a step further based mostly on this thread over on GOG about how to get Roland CM-32L emulation set up. Makes a whole world of difference, so thanks for bringing that to my attention! I'm going to upload a sound test probably sometime today to show off the differences between a few different audio devices.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

So that's why the music sounds so lovely! Seconding that, either SB or Roland, I'd go with SB but that's my nostalgia speaking.

(also, there's a PSX version of UU1 with nicely updated music)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Tax Refund posted:

Notes for episode 5:

pre:

You missed one important discovery:
pre:
Spiders can jump

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Crazy Achmed posted:

You missed one important discovery:
pre:
Spiders can jump

Maybe the most important zoological find in Britannian history?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Sound Test
Based on wafflemoose's advice I looked into updating our audio settings for future videos. I also made this video to compare the different options available.

Devices:
Microsoft GS Software Wavetable Synthesizer (default windows synth, and what we've been using to date)
Sound Blaster (DOSBOX emulation, not sure specifically which version of Sound Blaster, but I think it's SB Pro 1)
Roland MT-32 (Munt emulation)
Roland CM-32L (Munt emulation)

Episode 6 will post later this evening.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The Roland CM-32L seems the best option.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CM-32L is the best option by far.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yknow,I was wondering why it kept dinging whenever you opened a door...

The Roland CM-32L really shows off the sound design in this game. It's pretty strong, definitely a lot more atmospheric than I expected in parts like the water.

God drat if that Sound Blaster isn't nostalgic as gently caress, though. :allears:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Aren't you guys glad I pointed that out? :smug:

The Roland CM-32L is probably the best option but personally I think the music sounds better with the Soundblaster. Maybe you can do Soundblaster for music and Roland CM-32L for sounds?

Comedy option: keep General Midi for sounds

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 26, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rojogames posted:

No plans for UU2 at the moment. It's more tied into the main Ultima story, taking place between Ultima 7 part 1 and Ultima 7 part 2 as I understand it. I'd need to decide if I wanted to play 7 on the channel first, for continuity, or even go all the way back and do a heavily edited playthrough of 4 and then 5 and 6 first as well (all of which I haven't played at all except for a little of 4). It's still a cool game, though, and I may decide to just play it sometime, story continuity be damned.

No need to play through the other Ultimas, Just link people to the Nakar playthroughs for back story.
https://lparchive.org/Ultima-4-5-and-6/
https://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

wafflemoose posted:

Aren't you guys glad I pointed that out? :smug:

The Roland CM-32L is probably the best option but personally I think the music sounds better with the Soundblaster. Maybe you can do Soundblaster for music and Roland CM-32L for sounds?

Comedy option: keep General Midi for sounds

To the best of my knowledge I can't mix devices for SFX and music. Personally having never played the game back when it was new I like the CM-32L music.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Skwirl posted:

No need to play through the other Ultimas, Just link people to the Nakar playthroughs for back story.
https://lparchive.org/Ultima-4-5-and-6/
https://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/

I've actually been skimming over his 4-5-6 LP. Cool to get the gist of things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rojogames posted:

I've actually been skimming over his 4-5-6 LP. Cool to get the gist of things.

I like your LP but was slightly dissapointed you didn't name The Avatar Steve.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Avatar Steve was....interesting. Nakar's LPs were a fun read. But I think Avatar Wyndal with his Fist of the 8 Virtues will be fun too.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 26, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 6 - Gray Say
We chat with the gray goblins and explore a few areas we missed on floor 1. In this episode we also say farewell and thank you for your service to the piano feet from the default Windows synth and say hello to the Roland CM-32L synth as emulated by Munt.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Rojo has a pretty good "Playing this game legit" feel.

Nakar went through the games and broke them over his knee.

code:
 "Before we go, I'm shoving these corpses in this chest here."
"Dare I ask, you know, why?"
"It does seem slightly eccentric."
"Man, you guys don't know anything. This stuff is evidence. Evidence of a crime. A gargoyle crime. And gargoyle crime is what I do."

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 27, 2017

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Man, the sounds are so much better now.

Notes for episode 6:

pre:
Grey goblin named Jaacar implied that something dangerous lurks in their privy.
Ketchaval, grey goblin king, is having problems with a spider called Navrey Night-eyes.
Navrey's web is strong as iron and does not burn.
Ketchaval claims Cabirus committed suicide by taking poison. Somehow I doubt that story.
Korianous helped build the Abyss; his grave is on level 1 of the Abyss.
Korianous was killed when a stone block fell on him. Accident? Or murder?
Also, I noticed that when you found some worn leather leggings to replace your badly worn leather leggings, the character model changed. I went back over it, and the badly worn leather leggings had some visible damage to them, while the leather leggings that were merely "worn" had a model that was less visibly damaged. This game was seriously impressive for its time (1992). Ambient, context-sensitive music, visible damage to your armor so you can tell when it needs to be repaired or replaced, a physics model that lets you throw rubber balls around AND can cope with changing the height of parts of the floor... I am impressed.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tax Refund posted:

Also, I noticed that when you found some worn leather leggings to replace your badly worn leather leggings, the character model changed. I went back over it, and the badly worn leather leggings had some visible damage to them, while the leather leggings that were merely "worn" had a model that was less visibly damaged. This game was seriously impressive for its time (1992). Ambient, context-sensitive music, visible damage to your armor so you can tell when it needs to be repaired or replaced, a physics model that lets you throw rubber balls around AND can cope with changing the height of parts of the floor... I am impressed.
The game was a serious :aaaaa: for its time. I mean, it had a similar release date to Wolfenstein 3D. Look at that. Then come back to UU and find:
- sloped surfaces
- actual 3D objects like shrines, rocks, some furniture
- 3D movement, jumping, flying/levitating, the option to fall straight to a lower level etc.
- inventory system with nesting containers (with a slight chance of said nesting containers loving up your game pre-patch, but still)
- interaction with the world. Bashing doors, breaking rocks, poking buttons with 10' poles/slingshots/magic missiles, destroying items with magical fire.
- automap with built-in note system (that was when games like Eye of the Beholder liked making you draw your own map on graph paper and rage at illusionary walls and teleporters)
- excellent mouse interface. Combat, inventory, movement, pretty much everything can be done with two buttons, they could get rid of the left-hand icons and lose nothing. They feel like a nod towards people used to more traditional controls.
- in-depth plot in a loving 3D game in an era where those used to be either simulators or "kill everyone and the big villain" type shooters.
- awesome music (I couldn't appreciate that one due to not having a sound card. The first thing I ran when I got one was Dungeon Master 2 at which point I melted from the :syoon:)

And it still holds up. I can still start my DOSBox and play through both Underworlds without getting tired of them.
...You know what? gently caress it. It's been a while, I'll play along. Maybe with a pure non-magic character this time. Chuck the runebag into the goblin privy and all that.

ed: gently caress, the runebag floats

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 27, 2017

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Pierzak posted:

:words:

ed: gently caress, the runebag floats

Yes, the game is THAT great. :allears:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's really amazing how ahead of the time the Ultima Underworld games are. Clunky controls and primitive graphics aside they hold up pretty nicely.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Rojo has a pretty good "Playing this game legit" feel.

Nakar went through the games and broke them over his knee.

Yeah I could probably abuse a few things (like the door bashing), but we're mostly going legit. Having only played through once, I'm not sure I know the game well enough to do anything impressively game breaking.

Pierzak posted:

...You know what? gently caress it. It's been a while, I'll play along. Maybe with a pure non-magic character this time. Chuck the runebag into the goblin privy and all that.

And here I thought I was a badass doing fisticuffs. No magic seems like the ultimate challenge mode. What class did you pick? If I didn't feel like fists fit the shepherd so well I would have gone tinker probly just for shits.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Old Grey Guy posted:

Yes, the game is THAT great. :allears:
Yeah, that too is ahead of its time in giving you a save from potentially screwing yourself in a major way, but that's one innovation I could do without. I like my fuckup potential.

rojogames posted:

And here I thought I was a badass doing fisticuffs. No magic seems like the ultimate challenge mode. What class did you pick? If I didn't feel like fists fit the shepherd so well I would have gone tinker probly just for shits.
Fighter. No spells, no silver tree, no using mantras I haven't learned in game, no looking stuff up so if I forget something I get to rediscover it. And no cheating the light levels.

Looking forward to fishing and music :v: and doing the mage academy in UU2 in a completely mundane way :shepicide:

ed: Wait, if I throw the runebag into a multi-level chasm will it fall intact and wait on the bottom? Time to try it out!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 27, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Pierzak posted:

ed: Wait, if I throw the runebag into a multi-level chasm will it fall intact and wait on the bottom? Time to try it out!

What if you put the runebag in another bag and throw that bag in the water?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

rojogames posted:

What if you put the runebag in another bag and throw that bag in the water?
gently caress no, bags are worth their weight in platinum. But I could go find a box...

ed: Just killed the thing in the mines with zero trouble. Fighters are OP, gotta play pure sneak thief next.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 27, 2017

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Do you plan on stuffing an NPC with vendor trash through bartering, murdering him, and watching him gush open like a piñata?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Still disappointed in the shepherd who doesn’t sling. Shepherd are all about slings. Punch-shep is fine, but sometimes you have to throw a rock really hard.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Added.

Sunning posted:

Do you plan on stuffing an NPC with vendor trash through bartering, murdering him, and watching him gush open like a piñata?

"Officially" no, but we might give that a shot someday just for fun via the magic of save / reload.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Still disappointed in the shepherd who doesn’t sling. Shepherd are all about slings. Punch-shep is fine, but sometimes you have to throw a rock really hard.

That's a good point. I'll keep it in mind for the future. We'll need points in missile weapons to make it even remotely worthwhile, though, and it might be awhile before that happens.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Make sure to rob the green goblins' storeroom. push the guard to the next room and close the door before he comes back to do it peacefully
Also, you might show off the infinite-use item cheat at some point.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Pierzak posted:

Yeah, that too is ahead of its time in giving you a save from potentially screwing yourself in a major way, but that's one innovation I could do without. I like my fuckup potential.

Fair enough. Next time I get around to playing, I'll go mage just to see how many spells I still remember. Props to you for your non-mage approach, and for Rojo's fisticuffs, too. I'm interested to see how this will play out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sunning posted:

Is that virtuous, Avatar?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is that virtuous, Avatar?

I was going to ask the same thing about...

Pierzak posted:

Make sure to rob the green goblins' storeroom. push the guard to the next room and close the door before he comes back to do it peacefully
Also, you might show off the infinite-use item cheat at some point.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
As the Avatar, a paragon of Eight Virtues and the living embodiment thereof, I say that it is indeed virtuous. The ends before the means and all that

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - Chutes and Bladders
How many chances are you going to get in your life to throw yourself headlong down a toilet?

• Locked thread