Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

There's plenty of information and links at the website, but the short version is that Mega Man Maker is a simplified UI for the more complicated Mega Engine for Game Maker. Not only is it easier to use than Game Maker, it also has a built-in level browser and hosting system- just beat your level to prove that it's beatable, then upload it and the system will give you an ID number that you can share. To find levels to play, you can sort by best or worst rating, newest, that sort of thing. You can also search for keywords in level names or (under the MISC option in Find Game) enter the ID number of the level you want to play. After you've played a level, you can vote it up or down, and if you want to save it for later, you can download it. There's also a nice tutorial that will walk you through using the editor. The executable is for Windows only, but I've heard people say both that they're having trouble with it in wine on Linux/Mac and that it works great, so I dunno, try it out.

Pope Guilty posted:

Great big 1.2 update for Mega Man's 30th anniversary! Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x7ZhsyT6LY

The highlights:
  • New stuff like the bear traps from Hard Man, the falling and rising spike things from Metal Man, the lifts that go along paths from Crash Man, keys and doors that need keys, the magnet generators and magnet enemies from Magnet Man, enemies from Mega Man 2 and 3, tilesets and backgrounds for Dr Wily from Mega Man 2 and 3
  • New bosses: Wood Man, Bubble Man, Magnet Man, and Hard Man
  • Weapon capsules that let you give the player a weapon mid-level (make your own Metroidvania!)
  • New weapons: Air Man, Leaf Man, Gemini Man, That brick drop weapon from the Mega Man 11 trailer, and Items 1, 2, and 3
  • Reworked and much-improved online interface

Looks pretty good so far!

Here's the levels goons have shared so far. I'll try to keep this list updated:

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just made a level themed around the time bomb level prop.

I'll try out the ones in the OP in the morning. This tool isn't as easy to use as Mario Maker but it's not bad at all.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Evil Eagle posted:

Just made a level themed around the time bomb level prop.

I'll try out the ones in the OP in the morning. This tool isn't as easy to use as Mario Maker but it's not bad at all.

This one's pretty much perfect, you nailed the pacing and the boss was interesting and fair. Good work!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Its a bit played out, but hell.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Huzzah! posted:

Its a bit played out, but hell.

The "fireworks" were a nice touch

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My first one, I like the beginning of this level, and I tried to include some MEANINGFUL PLAYER CHOICES!

Another one! This is a Gemini Man variation, unfortunately Gemini Man isn't actually in the editor. There's a cool part in there with spikes and an E-tank.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

New version released! Get it here. You'll need to update before you can go online again.

Changelog posted:

Changes
-Removed Winamp in favor of the Chiptune Player (https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5319/chiptune-player). This means there will no longer be random Winamp errors on startup and the volume won't reset itself every time a new track is played
-Significantly reduced lag on lower-end PCs
-Water now goes through Dust Blocks and Pole Eggs

Fixed Bugs
-Nado still played a sound while the game is muted
-Pickups get stuck at the bottom of the screen
-Plant Man doesn't work properly when offscreen (his shield disappears immediately)
-Dying on just the right frame can crash the game
-Enemies sometimes don't reset their position when changing screens

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

e: q!=e

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My first rather crappy attempt.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

New version released! Get it here. You'll need to update before you can go online again.

It seems like this new version broke a few things. A lot of the enemies in my stage aren't spawning properly nor are they respawning when I leave the screen. weird

Shibawanko posted:

My first one, I like the beginning of this level, and I tried to include some MEANINGFUL PLAYER CHOICES!

and I can't progress past the checkpoint in this one. kinda wish I could take a look at downloaded stages in the editor and see what's up.

e: I can and it works fine when played in the editor. I'll try it online again I guess.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 19, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I guess there's just a screen transition bug or something because I wasn't able to progress in a few other levels too but it isn't consistent.

Anyway I liked Snake's Revenge, my two complaints are that there are some traps hidden under the health bar and there's a few places where you'll run right into an enemy if you backtrack a screen. Cut man is kind of a jerk in that arena.

I hope more bosses get added.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I guess there's just a screen transition bug or something because I wasn't able to progress in a few other levels too but it isn't consistent.

Anyway I liked Snake's Revenge, my two complaints are that there are some traps hidden under the health bar and there's a few places where you'll run right into an enemy if you backtrack a screen. Cut man is kind of a jerk in that arena.

I hope more bosses get added.

There's definitely some kind of bug going on, sometimes enemies don't appear properly after you get to a new screen now and I couldn't go to the next screen if I tried to play in the editor.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Andrigaar posted:

Much like everyone else, I've been messing around with the level editor, and was hesitant to post it here. But within a few minutes of uploading it, 5 people played it and one person already didn't like it. Oof.

So I just finished playing this so some feedback. I like the level split in the beginning that you had there, as well as the general platforming challenges but... The miner enemies weren't so much a challenge as annoying as with the small space you have to work with to fight them in without either being knocked off a platform or causing them to respawn you're just about forced to take a hit or two to either kill or run past one. The tower climb is a bit long and empty so it could do with being shortened as well. Your level also has some weird lag in it that I'm not experiencing in others that may be due to the size of it which made some of the platforming far more difficult than it should be. For the boss itself its design actually works against Bomb Man as every single one of this bombs hit a platform instead and the only damage I took was when he directly jumped into me, which was still rare enough that I buster dueled him to death without issue on my very first try or even using either of my two etanks.

Additionally the first flying shield enemy on the upper path has an awkward spawn location so that by the time it spawns you're already mid jump and there's no real way to avoid it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Eopia posted:

So I just finished playing this so some feedback. I like the level split in the beginning that you had there, as well as the general platforming challenges but... The miner enemies weren't so much a challenge as annoying as with the small space you have to work with to fight them in without either being knocked off a platform or causing them to respawn you're just about forced to take a hit or two to either kill or run past one. The tower climb is a bit long and empty so it could do with being shortened as well. Your level also has some weird lag in it that I'm not experiencing in others that may be due to the size of it which made some of the platforming far more difficult than it should be. For the boss itself its design actually works against Bomb Man as every single one of this bombs hit a platform instead and the only damage I took was when he directly jumped into me, which was still rare enough that I buster dueled him to death without issue on my very first try or even using either of my two etanks.

Additionally the first flying shield enemy on the upper path has an awkward spawn location so that by the time it spawns you're already mid jump and there's no real way to avoid it.

I've never made a platformer level before, so this is the first non-test map I made that other people played. Yay!

-The level split was influenced by 1.0's multi-boss bug. Also it let me play with more tile sets.
-You're right that the Miner guys are easy-peasy/annoying. That they're in positions that respawn was intentional since they're not really a threat, but it also seems it turns into frustration/annoyance and shouldn't be repeated. I just wasn't sure what bullet sponges to add since all of the ones they do have in this game are easily killed or you take a hit and walk through them. If you can think of a better one, I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll just have to rely on environmental hazards and start using spikes.
-Since the game has infinite lives, the E-Tanks were just there to convince people to jump places. Lame, I know, but apparently it worked.
-The flying shield guys are different than I remember. I swear that in MM4 and MM5 they had floating platform logic where they patrolled points A and B on a fixed range. In this they'll just scroll themselves into nonexistence, so I probably won't use them again except in places where their range is limited to less than one screen width.
-The first version of the boss room, that I might revert to, only had the uneven floor and maybe a 4x1 platform in the air. I added the half-room higher because Bombman's AI likes to jump constantly and I wanted to see what would happen.
-Smaller levels it is, lesson learned. I was having too much fun shaping the terrain.

Thanks for the feedback though. I just need to think of something else to try now.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Another one! This one has electric stuff combined with water.

This kind of reminds me of making Jazz Jackrabbit 2 levels with the editor.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
So many good levels so quickly. I'm loving this game.
I'll review a few before I post mine since they're mostly fresh in my memory, although my memory doesn't count for much these days.

Electric Bathtub: I liked the consistent theme and iterations on the electric dischargers. Felt good to play. I feel like the boss' movement was stifled a bit by layout, but maybe I just got a lucky routine.

Snake's Revenge: Really did feel like a cousin to Snakeman's actual level. Short 'n' sweet, and your boss room made me feel like I could definitely dance around Cutman's scissors, but still easy enough to slip up and take hits. I liked watching him do dozens of shorthops after throwing his weapon and chasing it through those low platforms.

Bomb Factory: Getting an alternate route as "punishment" for failing that first bomb barrier was a neat idea, and good training for the real deal right before the boss door. I kind of wish the multi-boss glitch was still a thing so if I'd failed the second bomb barrier, i'd get a harder version of the boss room or something, but alas and forsooth. Maybe in a future update they'll bring it back.

Gemini Palace: I really dug this one, and one of the reasons is in the first room: telegraphing a reward for players who pay attention to the geography of the level with that health bubble on the other side of the wall. Also, in the room right below that you've got a lane of spikes you can fit between if you use them little bubble boys to line yourself up, which made me feel clever. It also felt good to punish that Big Eye who was trapped in a cage made of those same bubbles. If there's one lesson I want to start learning, it's where to make the player have a "Heck Yeah" moment. I've seen a few levels online that do that really well by lining up a bunch of weak enemies that all go down to one charge shot or boss weapon, or hobbling the big enemies with the tile layout. Anyway, your boss room was one I also liked, since you found a way to complicate Topman's fairly simple pattern.

Anyway, I've got two levels here, and hopefully I link these right because I've literally never posted a picture on these forums before.

This one was getting acquainted with the tools and making that easy easy joke we all thought of but you all had the good sense not to.

My first real attempt at sewing together themed areas and a few repeated/iterated enemy setups. It's got one secret room for savvy explorers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hateworkboy posted:

So many good levels so quickly. I'm loving this game.
I'll review a few before I post mine since they're mostly fresh in my memory, although my memory doesn't count for much these days.

Electric Bathtub: I liked the consistent theme and iterations on the electric dischargers. Felt good to play. I feel like the boss' movement was stifled a bit by layout, but maybe I just got a lucky routine.

Snake's Revenge: Really did feel like a cousin to Snakeman's actual level. Short 'n' sweet, and your boss room made me feel like I could definitely dance around Cutman's scissors, but still easy enough to slip up and take hits. I liked watching him do dozens of shorthops after throwing his weapon and chasing it through those low platforms.

Bomb Factory: Getting an alternate route as "punishment" for failing that first bomb barrier was a neat idea, and good training for the real deal right before the boss door. I kind of wish the multi-boss glitch was still a thing so if I'd failed the second bomb barrier, i'd get a harder version of the boss room or something, but alas and forsooth. Maybe in a future update they'll bring it back.

Gemini Palace: I really dug this one, and one of the reasons is in the first room: telegraphing a reward for players who pay attention to the geography of the level with that health bubble on the other side of the wall. Also, in the room right below that you've got a lane of spikes you can fit between if you use them little bubble boys to line yourself up, which made me feel clever. It also felt good to punish that Big Eye who was trapped in a cage made of those same bubbles. If there's one lesson I want to start learning, it's where to make the player have a "Heck Yeah" moment. I've seen a few levels online that do that really well by lining up a bunch of weak enemies that all go down to one charge shot or boss weapon, or hobbling the big enemies with the tile layout. Anyway, your boss room was one I also liked, since you found a way to complicate Topman's fairly simple pattern.

Anyway, I've got two levels here, and hopefully I link these right because I've literally never posted a picture on these forums before.

This one was getting acquainted with the tools and making that easy easy joke we all thought of but you all had the good sense not to.

My first real attempt at sewing together themed areas and a few repeated/iterated enemy setups. It's got one secret room for savvy explorers.

Thanks! Yeah my Gemini Man style level is my favorite. I like it when there are areas where you can just run right, jump over platforms and blast poo poo in an uncomplicated way.

Your levels are good, I liked the combo punch from the cowboy guy and the rock slinger with their different patterns, and the part with the big gap. There was one area in the second level where I felt it was unavoidable to take a hit, with a hammer thrower and a Yamato man style guy blocking your way.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I've always wanted to make my own Mega Man romhack, but never had the patience to sit down and learn the NES hacking tools. I'm definitely going to try this game soon!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

And another one.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Another update.

Changelog posted:

Fixed Bugs
-Enemies sometimes don't spawn properly.
-Sometimes the screen randomly stops scrolling, preventing you from progressing until you restart the stage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That was fast! I think I'll make another level tonight.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Does the editor have severe length limitations or are people mostly making short levels to get the hang on the thing at the moment?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I made an Excel spreadsheet of the total map size earlier today out of 25x25 pixel cells to represent tiles. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it can be 20x50, or 1000 screens total with 14x16 tiles each (as a reminder, Megamens is 1x2 tiles).

My freshman effort was fairly large, but sadly overly padded and resulted in it being plagued by slowdown. I thought it was just my end, but the one guy who commented on it in the Eggman thread said he had slowdown too. So it might be a combination of people trying to get it right on a smaller scale with optimization issues added on top.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Petiso posted:

Does the editor have severe length limitations or are people mostly making short levels to get the hang on the thing at the moment?

I don't think there are size limitations but it's more fun to make short levels. You also have to play and finish them yourself before you can upload so I don't want to make anything crazy hard or long.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Here's my new level, which gives you infinite Top Spin use.

I was really happy with my first version of this, then I accidentally closed the program and I hadn't saved it at all, so I remade the whole thing from memory. Please save often.

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I was really happy with my first version of this, then I accidentally closed the program and I hadn't saved it at all, so I remade the whole thing from memory. Please save often.

If its any consolation, I still enjoyed it. Good job timing the enemies to appear during screen scrolling in the intended places.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Petiso posted:

If levels get too large they start to become really laggy. You can kind of see it in the stage I gave some feedback on earlier, but I've encountered much worse since then. I don't think it has anything to do with computer specs either, but is instead their game engine.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Evil Eagle posted:

Here's my new level, which gives you infinite Top Spin use.

It was rough trying to get used to Knight Man's pattern in that room but once I got the hang of it, it was quite fun. Seems a shame that Top Spin doesn't seem to be able to harm bosses at all and just makes you take damage though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Another one. It has some secrets to find.

One of my favorite levels from the browser is a level called "Napalm Man is a Sick gently caress" which is just the titular robot master chasing you through the stage while he's invulnerable and you have to dunk him off a timebomb bridge at the end, Bowser style.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Cranked this out in about half a day? It's a little too big so it lags a little but I've got three different paths you can take to reach Toad Man.

e: I forgot to swap out the blocks for stuff that would probably look better.

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
Bomb Chute: once again your level is pretty darn impressive. I really liked that the first secret led to the suggestion of another, and let's the player know to keep a sharper eye out.

Toady Tri-Fortress: Quick and fun, makes replaying it satisfying. Nice use of multiple paths, and using that disappearing block to telegraph the higher path. My eyes absolutely would have missed it for the side/bottom path without it. Each one felt like it had it's own idea, and I liked the use of the collapsing platform/tunnel dash combo on the bottom path.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shibawanko posted:

Another one. It has some secrets to find.

One of my favorite levels from the browser is a level called "Napalm Man is a Sick gently caress" which is just the titular robot master chasing you through the stage while he's invulnerable and you have to dunk him off a timebomb bridge at the end, Bowser style.

Got to try that level.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Hateworkboy posted:

Bomb Chute: once again your level is pretty darn impressive. I really liked that the first secret led to the suggestion of another, and let's the player know to keep a sharper eye out.

Toady Tri-Fortress: Quick and fun, makes replaying it satisfying. Nice use of multiple paths, and using that disappearing block to telegraph the higher path. My eyes absolutely would have missed it for the side/bottom path without it. Each one felt like it had it's own idea, and I liked the use of the collapsing platform/tunnel dash combo on the bottom path.

Yeah that's what I tried to go for, I made the top path first and thought HM I SHOULD GIVE A HEADS UP TO WHAT EACH PATH HAS, then that path ended up being easiest. The bottom route is probably the meanest at the converging vertical segment, the elevators w/ shooting enemies leads to pretty easy deaths.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Got to try that level.

It's boss

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
#2, easier and shorter than the first? Yeah!

Probably could have expanded on the puzzle platforming for both paths cause it makes you feel more cool than smart but oh well.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

#2, easier and shorter than the first? Yeah!

Probably could have expanded on the puzzle platforming for both paths cause it makes you feel more cool than smart but oh well.

This one's really good, there's some tricky parts where you did a good job on positioning enemies in such a way that they're hard to get rid of.

Knight Man is a bit of a motherfucker who will either stand still for the whole fight and throw his ball at you or just jump around for 5 minutes straight.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

This one's really good, there's some tricky parts where you did a good job on positioning enemies in such a way that they're hard to get rid of.

Knight Man is a bit of a motherfucker who will either stand still for the whole fight and throw his ball at you or just jump around for 5 minutes straight.

Yeah I hear you on Knight Man, I didn't want to give boss weapons though cause they'd cheese the stage sections and make it a little too easy.

Last one for today, pretty much all platforming.

e: I hope that wily machines, weather effects, boss rushes, and rising lava become things soon, I'm having a lot of fun making levels.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Yeah I hear you on Knight Man, I didn't want to give boss weapons though cause they'd cheese the stage sections and make it a little too easy.

Last one for today, pretty much all platforming.

e: I hope that wily machines, weather effects, boss rushes, and rising lava become things soon, I'm having a lot of fun making levels.

I really liked this one! Very hectic, but not overwhelmingly so.

Here's a new one:

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

I wasted countless hours on Mario Maker, and I'm looking forward to losing all of my free time to this game.

My first level is pretty short and sweet. Please ignore the typo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Keith Stack posted:

I wasted countless hours on Mario Maker, and I'm looking forward to losing all of my free time to this game.

My first level is pretty short and sweet. Please ignore the typo.

The ending lift was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Still playtesting my levels, but I am glad to see a thread for this.

• Locked thread