Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

This thing is pretty darn great, and I've had good luck finding levels that are actually fun to play and not just Kaizo bullshit.

I made a vertical scrolling stage that has you going down, since every other vertical scrolling stage I've played in my life has the player ascending. Perhaps there is a good reason for this, judging from the critical reception I've received. Let me know what you guys think! There should really be only one scary part, but there's a checkpoint right before it so it shouldn't be that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Stealth Tiger posted:

This thing is pretty darn great, and I've had good luck finding levels that are actually fun to play and not just Kaizo bullshit.

I made a vertical scrolling stage that has you going down, since every other vertical scrolling stage I've played in my life has the player ascending. Perhaps there is a good reason for this, judging from the critical reception I've received. Let me know what you guys think! There should really be only one scary part, but there's a checkpoint right before it so it shouldn't be that bad.

This was a pretty alright level, good variation on what the player has to do to descend. My only complaint would be having screen scrolling for the spike pits, I didn't die in the section and am certainly not the most coordinated but having the brief moment of momentum reset timestop definitely helps with screen transitions.

Good job overall though!

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 24, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

This was a pretty alright level, good variation on what the player has to do to descend. My only complaint would be having screen scrolling for the spike pits, I didn't die in the section and am certainly not the most coordinated but having the brief moment of momentum reset timestop definitely helps with screen transitions.

Good job overall though!

Gonna have to echo you, with the addition of the part where you stop getting screen transitions in that one spike drop being incredibly jarring and got me killed on my first attempt at it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Eopia posted:

Gonna have to echo you, with the addition of the part where you stop getting screen transitions in that one spike drop being incredibly jarring and got me killed on my first attempt at it.

Same, but I was fine after that. Fun level!

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah as I was making the level I clicked on the screen transition accidentally, and when I was playing through it and all of a sudden I dropped so much quicker it literally gave me a jump scare. I thought I would keep it in for the sake of excitement? I was curious if it would surprise other people or just inconvenience them and feel cheap. Thanks for the replies!

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
Some more reviews

Knight Mountain: Nice and short, and dense. Solid enemy placement, I absolutely fell into what I assume were many intentional tough situations. The dual paths Makes a replay fun since it's so bite-sized.

Core Meltdown Escape: I really liked that trick with the slide tunnel with timed bombs suspended over spikes, and having to wait out the timer on a few of them for an escape. As much as I always enjoy a good Top Spin bounce fest, I found the last screen to be inconsistent with how the enemies were placed, and it didn't feel smooth. Could just be me and my play tendencies, but I might recommend making that section a screen transition instead of a scroll, to ensure all enemies spawn at the same time for a controlled pattern. Still had fun tho!

Across the Falls: Pretty straightforward so I don't have a lot of commentary for this one, other than the moving blocks that rise when you jump off of them reminded me of the logs in Mario 2, lol.

Decedant Dodging: Played it once and wasn't quite sure what to make of the first half of it, but enjoyed the second half. I tried it again and limited myself to not using the Metal Blades at all and had more fun timing my movements past all the little eyeball blocks. That was probably your intention, and if so I'd suggest ditching weapons altogether, or maybe change it to a weapon not meant for offense, and make the block-gate in the warp section one of those weapon-specific barriers. All said though, it's fine as-is and it's more on the player to make sure they're playing it right, I reckon.

The Towerdome: Looks like you already know what's up in regards to feedback, so keep on truckin' pal.

Very happy with the current crop of levels from ya'll, it's been a blast.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Second level:

It's a double-gimmick. The boss fight has a previously non-existent issue where the boss just leaves the screen and doesn't die, you'll see what I mean it if you play it. It never happened while messing around with the creator and making the level, then it happened like three times when I was trying to finish the level so I could upload it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I recreated the Junkyard level from the NES A Nightmare On Elm Street game, sort of a test of the game engine really. I have an original level in the works, but it's not quite polished yet.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Level 4!

Indoor section's room transitioned for all the quick lasers, would have liked to do more with bomb platforms but that would probably be benefited by larger space, maybe next time!

I know the last room before the boss checkpoint kind of doesn't let you avoid getting hit, bomb platforms are a little finicky when paired w/ quick lasers.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I usually play using the random level option and found one named "one room puzzle" which was kinda neat.

Normally after beating a level it'd sent me to the previous screen so I can give it a vote but for some reason yesterday I was getting a "Sorry, we couldn't find anything on this list" error message after each one.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's my first try:

The gimmick is you start right next to the boss room but unable to reach it, and then take one of two routes to loop around back to the first screen from the other side. I had the concept ready when I started, but kind of winged the room design and enemy placement. I think it turned out alright, though! Give it a try, and let me know if there's something egregious I should fix / try to avoid in the future.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Has anyone made a level that's nothing but water and spikes on the floor and ceiling and you have to measure your jumps to land on teeny tiny platforms to make your way across?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has anyone made a level that's nothing but water and spikes on the floor and ceiling and you have to measure your jumps to land on teeny tiny platforms to make your way across?

There is a level that takes place entirely on one conveyor belt and it has spikes positioned just so that you have to time a series of slides and jumps perfectly to get through it all (While on a conveyor belt). If you survive the gauntlet your reward is fighting toadman with no buster and you have to kill him by tricking him to jumping on a platform then jumping on it to launch him into the spikes on the ceiling. The level has no check points either.

While it's not precisely the level you described, I think in spirit it's much the same.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Tried something a bit more experimental. You have to lead Crash Man through a tunnel, trick him into breaking the obstacles out of your way, and ultimately drop him down a pit. Crash Man is actually surprisingly easy to maneuver since he has a simple pattern that responds to Mega Man's actions, but be prepared to restart the level manually if you die (I couldn't figure out a way to refill the player's Crash Bomb ammo after the beginning without undermining the point of the level, but this means you can get stuck in the first screen). 10 plays, 0 points - you either love it or hate it, I guess!

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Crash Course is real sweet, tightly made and I like that you were able to do a few different things with the gimmick. I broke your deadlock for you! (in the positive direction)

I really like the presentation in Scaling the Tower, it felt like an adventure. Although I totally got cheapshotted at the start of the boss fight :argh:

On to my latest:
Do you like teleporters and search engine optimized levels? Well then I made a level you might enjoy*!

-Bonus spoiler screenshot of the dumbest thing I have ever made! It makes a little more sense if you play through the rest of the level first. I think.-

*provided you don't mind an ending that is kinda easter egg-y but is also both very tedious to make and play through!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:lol: If you use Shine (the new shield weapon) to reflect one of Metal Man's projectiles back at him it'll kill him in one shot.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Petiso posted:

:lol: If you use Shine (the new shield weapon) to reflect one of Metal Man's projectiles back at him it'll kill him in one shot.

Yep, and get this... make him immune to Metal Blade and it still works.

(The level I'm working on uses this trick. :ssh:)

EDIT:

Stealth Tiger posted:

Crash Course is real sweet, tightly made and I like that you were able to do a few different things with the gimmick. I broke your deadlock for you! (in the positive direction)

I really like the presentation in Scaling the Tower, it felt like an adventure. Although I totally got cheapshotted at the start of the boss fight :argh:

On to my latest:
Do you like teleporters and search engine optimized levels? Well then I made a level you might enjoy*!

-clipped image-

-Bonus spoiler screenshot of the dumbest thing I have ever made! It makes a little more sense if you play through the rest of the level first. I think.-

-clipped image-

*provided you don't mind an ending that is kinda easter egg-y but is also both very tedious to make and play through!

of Alarm Event for alarm 0
for object objHTTPControl:

DoAdd :1: undefined value
at gml_Object_objHTTPControl_Alarm_0
############################################################################################

EDIT 2: oh apparently that error message is unrelated, I tried again and it worked. Huh.

EDIT 3: you're an rear end in a top hat :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVe9iMdYbe4

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 26, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Petiso posted:

Metal Blade also worked like this in Mega Man 2- he's the easiest boss in the boss rush for this reason.

I'm not sure which game Mega Maker's version of the Rush Jet is from (it's not Mega Man 3, the last Mega Man I played as a kid), but it will always continually move forward and you can't shoot backward. So I'm working on a psuedo-autoscrolling level based around it, with a couple of more conventional parts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Have they added Guts Man lifts or disappearing blocks yet?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Have they added Guts Man lifts or disappearing blocks yet?

Yoku blocks are in, no dropping platforms yet. Dunno how frequent they'll be adding in the rest of classic mechanics but I'm hopeful it'll be quick even if it's not particularly fast.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The Metalman weakness made me sad. I originally wanted him in my spring-floored boss room, but he was way too hard with anything that did 1 damage, and too easy if you flagged a weakness. So I did try the shine thing, and even made him immune to shine (which still one-shot him).

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Yoku blocks are in, no dropping platforms yet. Dunno how frequent they'll be adding in the rest of classic mechanics but I'm hopeful it'll be quick even if it's not particularly fast.

Unless they made an official statement, I'm figuring the handicapped/missing features are from them releasing Megamaker in a solid state that wasn't feature complete to see how Capcom would react once it was in the wild. Save themselves a few more months of hard work if the project got C&D'd within 72 hours.

Also I forgot about Guts lifts. That's another fun auto-play block to tinker with.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Andrigaar posted:

The Metalman weakness made me sad. I originally wanted him in my spring-floored boss room, but he was way too hard with anything that did 1 damage, and too easy if you flagged a weakness.

Hm, I came up with a spring floor metal man fight idea myself but I was going to have you fight him with top spin

He's actually the only boss that is difficult with top spin as your buster (that I tried) because jumps so high. It's probably kind of cruel but who knows if I'll ever make it and subject others to it.

also: Do NOT attempt to do a top spin only level that takes place underwater with spikes on the ceiling :stare:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Hm, I came up with a spring floor metal man fight idea myself but I was going to have you fight him with top spin

He's actually the only boss that is difficult with top spin as your buster (that I tried) because jumps so high. It's probably kind of cruel but who knows if I'll ever make it and subject others to it.

I tried that myself actually while cycling through various ideas.

First: He spawned 2-3 blocks above the springs and just bounces without reacting while a timer ticks down.
Second: Whether you shoot first or his timer flags, he double-jumps and attacks. Far as I can tell he can't double-jump again, but he double-jumps when coming online.

On a spring floor I wasn't able to clear him with any 1-damage weapon. I'd always mess up my dodge timing eventually and get slaughtered once the rhythm was lost.

In later versions I hope they let you make reversible conveyor belts like in Metalman's boss room. While a more pipe dream idea is being able to choose how much damage a weapon does to a boss instead of weakness or not.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I will not be happy until I can mix and match mechanics to make the Spike Yoku Quick Laser Devil.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I will not be happy until I can mix and match mechanics to make the Spike Yoku Quick Laser Devil.

Why do you hate humanity?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Gotta say... the Level "Dr. Light Is an rear end in a top hat" really stumped me.

No clue what's going on there :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

JuniperCake posted:

Why do you hate humanity?

My first game was Sonic 2 for Game Gear. My first PC game was Mega Man 3 DOS.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

My first game was Sonic 2 for Game Gear. My first PC game was Mega Man 3 DOS.

Having experienced the MM dos games myself, I am so, so sorry.

I actually kinda liked the first one. The levels had multiple parts with unique enemies and changes in scenery, no bouncy lasers or oil drips. And every level wasn't some crazy maze.

I'm honestly surprised you played any games at all after that kind of introduction.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

Having experienced the MM dos games myself, I am so, so sorry.

I actually kinda liked the first one. The levels had multiple parts with unique enemies and changes in scenery, no bouncy lasers or oil drips. And every level wasn't some crazy maze.

I'm honestly surprised you played any games at all after that kind of introduction.

Other early experiences: King's Quest 3, that Bond 007 adventure game...

Stealth Tiger posted:

Brilliant level. Just to be clear, with the more complex numbered puzzle, you're aware of how it can be bypassed?

borf
Apr 5, 2006
This thing is awesome. How come Nintendo hasn't shut it down like every other fan project yet?

edit: It doesn't belong to Nintendo does it... would be up to Capcom I imagine. Nevermind then!

borf fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 31, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I recommend throwing in Gravity Man flipping mechanics too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

After a lot of struggling with a weird boss gate bug, I was able to find a workaround that produces even better results. I hope you all enjoy a taste of my design aesthetic, with a map inspired by the most overpowered, cheesy and game-breaking of MMBN chips, with an ultra-challenging version of a familiar boss room.

I'm so excited to share my vision with you!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 9, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Stealth Tiger posted:

On to my latest:

I was very disappointed that there wasn't some kind of secret screen for climbing up the spike stairway with the skull barrier subweapon, otherwise it was pretty neat. The final rooms could really use some kind of distinguishing mark though, I'm not sure what the reference was but I only completed it through dumb luck.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Discendo Vox posted:

After a lot of struggling with a weird boss gate bug, I was able to find a workaround that produces even better results. I hope you all enjoy a taste of my design aesthetic, with a map inspired by the most overpowered, cheesy and game-breaking of MMBN chips, with an ultra-challenging version of a familiar boss room.

I'm so excited to share my vision with you!

sorry for the double post but what the gently caress did I just play.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I re-uploaded my teleporter level with a few changes- Level ID# 111259.

-I was aware of a way to cheese the part with 14 teleporters on screen at once, but originally you could only get into one that led to your death. I re-arranged all of them at the last minute and forgot to take that into account. So that's fixed now.

-I also added in a secret over the spike stairs because I had no idea you could jump on those with the skull. I originally just meant that part as a wall, lol. So, good ingenuity Eopia.

-Also, I added an odd block to help identify the last teleporter at the end, which btw is a reference to Sabrina's Gym and I expected you all to be nerdier and recognize it :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My next goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWY5sV2g_fA

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That's amazing. What's that made in?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

That's amazing. What's that made in?

It's a straight up romhack.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I made a new level! It took me a really long time to make so that means it's good.

Also, they've released a few updates but looking through the changelogs I don't think I see anything too neat. Mostly stuff to fix bugs and lag.

e. I guess there's this tornado thing that's kinda cool? You just fly around loving everything up.

Stealth Tiger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Stealth Tiger posted:

I made a new level! It took me a really long time to make so that means it's good.

Also, they've released a few updates but looking through the changelogs I don't think I see anything too neat. Mostly stuff to fix bugs and lag.

e. I guess there's this tornado thing that's kinda cool? You just fly around loving everything up.

This was a cool map! Thanks for making and posting!

Meanwhile there's a new update! You'll need to update before you can play online again.

Changelog posted:

New Features
-Drastically optimized the level editor; large levels should now run at a smooth framerate in editor mode.
-Severely reduced lag in the levels themselves. Large levels in particular should have a much smoother framerate.
-Clicking an object with the middle mouse button selects that object, acting like an eyedropper tool. You can also hold Alt while clicking an object with the left mouse button, which can be handy for laptop users.

Changes
-Buffed Wind Storm; it now bounces off walls, doesn't get destroyed by enemies if they don't die and can destroy weak projectiles. You can also jump on it to reach higher ground.
-Nado now allows you to hold the attack button to gain height rather than having to mash the button.
-Backgrounds should now match the background color palette.
-Improved camera flexibility in non-standard screen structures.
-When auto-playing a level when the game is already open, it no longer opens a second game window. Instead, it closes the old one and opens a new one. If you've already entered your password in the old window, you do not have to enter it again in the new window.
-Touching a 1-up now plays the 1-up sound on top of healing you.
-Enemy projectiles no longer despawn when above the screen.
-NSF files are split up again, which should make custom (offline) NSF replacements easier.
-You can now slide under Crystal Joe's projectile.
-The Top Man background's animation is slower (it had the same speed as in MM3, but it was hard on the eyes).
-If you collide with a wall/ceiling and a spike at the same time, the wall/ceiling now takes priority, allowing you to survive.
-When a server error happens upon loading a level, the game now displays the error, allowing you to retry rather than softlocking the game.

Fixed Bugs
-Fixed hitboxes for Big Eye, Mechakkero and Robbit.
-You can pause on the frame you die, allowing you to use an E-tank and survive on spikes.
-Quick Lasers shoot again after the game gets paused.
-Skeleton Joes still hurt you when they're down.
-Using Search Snake when hugging a wall has weird results.
-Pole Eggs can destroy solid terrain around them.
-After playing a level from an auto-play link, you're taken back to your own levels rather than the level info card.
-The game doesn't register that you've beaten a level if you played it through an auto-play link.
-Pointan (the custom cursor) can have the wrong size when launching the game through an auto-play link.
-Refilling your health destroys a Crash Bomber explosion.
-If you take the boss to a new screen, the health bar sometimes disappears.
-Mega Man 2 Mets can clip into walls.
-Weapon energy pickups get stuck at the bottom of the screen.
-Vertical boss doors could disappear after transitioning through them with a ceiling/floor in the way.
-If you collect two large energies on the same frame only one triggers.
-Pressing Caps Lock repeats a letter (for entering a level name, password, search term etc).
-If you are on Rush Jet, then jump off and immediately grab a ladder, you can move left and right while on the ladder.
-Loading levels with the same name causes the first level to be loaded (only seemed to happen on certain OSs).
-Nado can zip when hitting a ceiling.
-Stone Man can easily clip into a ceiling when jumping right under one.
-In the pause menu, if you only have one weapon (first slot) and press down twice, you have Silver Tomahawk's palette.
-If you undergo a screen transition while an enemy is exploding, then come back, the explosion is still there.
-Big Eyes can get stuck on walls.
-If you're on a moving platform moving down, you can sometimes clip into floors below you while holding left or right.

• Locked thread