Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
So many good levels so quickly. I'm loving this game.
I'll review a few before I post mine since they're mostly fresh in my memory, although my memory doesn't count for much these days.

Electric Bathtub: I liked the consistent theme and iterations on the electric dischargers. Felt good to play. I feel like the boss' movement was stifled a bit by layout, but maybe I just got a lucky routine.

Snake's Revenge: Really did feel like a cousin to Snakeman's actual level. Short 'n' sweet, and your boss room made me feel like I could definitely dance around Cutman's scissors, but still easy enough to slip up and take hits. I liked watching him do dozens of shorthops after throwing his weapon and chasing it through those low platforms.

Bomb Factory: Getting an alternate route as "punishment" for failing that first bomb barrier was a neat idea, and good training for the real deal right before the boss door. I kind of wish the multi-boss glitch was still a thing so if I'd failed the second bomb barrier, i'd get a harder version of the boss room or something, but alas and forsooth. Maybe in a future update they'll bring it back.

Gemini Palace: I really dug this one, and one of the reasons is in the first room: telegraphing a reward for players who pay attention to the geography of the level with that health bubble on the other side of the wall. Also, in the room right below that you've got a lane of spikes you can fit between if you use them little bubble boys to line yourself up, which made me feel clever. It also felt good to punish that Big Eye who was trapped in a cage made of those same bubbles. If there's one lesson I want to start learning, it's where to make the player have a "Heck Yeah" moment. I've seen a few levels online that do that really well by lining up a bunch of weak enemies that all go down to one charge shot or boss weapon, or hobbling the big enemies with the tile layout. Anyway, your boss room was one I also liked, since you found a way to complicate Topman's fairly simple pattern.

Anyway, I've got two levels here, and hopefully I link these right because I've literally never posted a picture on these forums before.

This one was getting acquainted with the tools and making that easy easy joke we all thought of but you all had the good sense not to.

My first real attempt at sewing together themed areas and a few repeated/iterated enemy setups. It's got one secret room for savvy explorers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I was really happy with my first version of this, then I accidentally closed the program and I hadn't saved it at all, so I remade the whole thing from memory. Please save often.

If its any consolation, I still enjoyed it. Good job timing the enemies to appear during screen scrolling in the intended places.

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
Bomb Chute: once again your level is pretty darn impressive. I really liked that the first secret led to the suggestion of another, and let's the player know to keep a sharper eye out.

Toady Tri-Fortress: Quick and fun, makes replaying it satisfying. Nice use of multiple paths, and using that disappearing block to telegraph the higher path. My eyes absolutely would have missed it for the side/bottom path without it. Each one felt like it had it's own idea, and I liked the use of the collapsing platform/tunnel dash combo on the bottom path.

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
Some more reviews

Knight Mountain: Nice and short, and dense. Solid enemy placement, I absolutely fell into what I assume were many intentional tough situations. The dual paths Makes a replay fun since it's so bite-sized.

Core Meltdown Escape: I really liked that trick with the slide tunnel with timed bombs suspended over spikes, and having to wait out the timer on a few of them for an escape. As much as I always enjoy a good Top Spin bounce fest, I found the last screen to be inconsistent with how the enemies were placed, and it didn't feel smooth. Could just be me and my play tendencies, but I might recommend making that section a screen transition instead of a scroll, to ensure all enemies spawn at the same time for a controlled pattern. Still had fun tho!

Across the Falls: Pretty straightforward so I don't have a lot of commentary for this one, other than the moving blocks that rise when you jump off of them reminded me of the logs in Mario 2, lol.

Decedant Dodging: Played it once and wasn't quite sure what to make of the first half of it, but enjoyed the second half. I tried it again and limited myself to not using the Metal Blades at all and had more fun timing my movements past all the little eyeball blocks. That was probably your intention, and if so I'd suggest ditching weapons altogether, or maybe change it to a weapon not meant for offense, and make the block-gate in the warp section one of those weapon-specific barriers. All said though, it's fine as-is and it's more on the player to make sure they're playing it right, I reckon.

The Towerdome: Looks like you already know what's up in regards to feedback, so keep on truckin' pal.

Very happy with the current crop of levels from ya'll, it's been a blast.

• Locked thread