Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My first one, I like the beginning of this level, and I tried to include some MEANINGFUL PLAYER CHOICES!

Another one! This is a Gemini Man variation, unfortunately Gemini Man isn't actually in the editor. There's a cool part in there with spikes and an E-tank.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

I guess there's just a screen transition bug or something because I wasn't able to progress in a few other levels too but it isn't consistent.

Anyway I liked Snake's Revenge, my two complaints are that there are some traps hidden under the health bar and there's a few places where you'll run right into an enemy if you backtrack a screen. Cut man is kind of a jerk in that arena.

I hope more bosses get added.

There's definitely some kind of bug going on, sometimes enemies don't appear properly after you get to a new screen now and I couldn't go to the next screen if I tried to play in the editor.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Another one! This one has electric stuff combined with water.

This kind of reminds me of making Jazz Jackrabbit 2 levels with the editor.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hateworkboy posted:

So many good levels so quickly. I'm loving this game.
I'll review a few before I post mine since they're mostly fresh in my memory, although my memory doesn't count for much these days.

Electric Bathtub: I liked the consistent theme and iterations on the electric dischargers. Felt good to play. I feel like the boss' movement was stifled a bit by layout, but maybe I just got a lucky routine.

Snake's Revenge: Really did feel like a cousin to Snakeman's actual level. Short 'n' sweet, and your boss room made me feel like I could definitely dance around Cutman's scissors, but still easy enough to slip up and take hits. I liked watching him do dozens of shorthops after throwing his weapon and chasing it through those low platforms.

Bomb Factory: Getting an alternate route as "punishment" for failing that first bomb barrier was a neat idea, and good training for the real deal right before the boss door. I kind of wish the multi-boss glitch was still a thing so if I'd failed the second bomb barrier, i'd get a harder version of the boss room or something, but alas and forsooth. Maybe in a future update they'll bring it back.

Gemini Palace: I really dug this one, and one of the reasons is in the first room: telegraphing a reward for players who pay attention to the geography of the level with that health bubble on the other side of the wall. Also, in the room right below that you've got a lane of spikes you can fit between if you use them little bubble boys to line yourself up, which made me feel clever. It also felt good to punish that Big Eye who was trapped in a cage made of those same bubbles. If there's one lesson I want to start learning, it's where to make the player have a "Heck Yeah" moment. I've seen a few levels online that do that really well by lining up a bunch of weak enemies that all go down to one charge shot or boss weapon, or hobbling the big enemies with the tile layout. Anyway, your boss room was one I also liked, since you found a way to complicate Topman's fairly simple pattern.

Anyway, I've got two levels here, and hopefully I link these right because I've literally never posted a picture on these forums before.

This one was getting acquainted with the tools and making that easy easy joke we all thought of but you all had the good sense not to.

My first real attempt at sewing together themed areas and a few repeated/iterated enemy setups. It's got one secret room for savvy explorers.

Thanks! Yeah my Gemini Man style level is my favorite. I like it when there are areas where you can just run right, jump over platforms and blast poo poo in an uncomplicated way.

Your levels are good, I liked the combo punch from the cowboy guy and the rock slinger with their different patterns, and the part with the big gap. There was one area in the second level where I felt it was unavoidable to take a hit, with a hammer thrower and a Yamato man style guy blocking your way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

And another one.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Petiso posted:

Does the editor have severe length limitations or are people mostly making short levels to get the hang on the thing at the moment?

I don't think there are size limitations but it's more fun to make short levels. You also have to play and finish them yourself before you can upload so I don't want to make anything crazy hard or long.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Another one. It has some secrets to find.

One of my favorite levels from the browser is a level called "Napalm Man is a Sick gently caress" which is just the titular robot master chasing you through the stage while he's invulnerable and you have to dunk him off a timebomb bridge at the end, Bowser style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

#2, easier and shorter than the first? Yeah!

Probably could have expanded on the puzzle platforming for both paths cause it makes you feel more cool than smart but oh well.

This one's really good, there's some tricky parts where you did a good job on positioning enemies in such a way that they're hard to get rid of.

Knight Man is a bit of a motherfucker who will either stand still for the whole fight and throw his ball at you or just jump around for 5 minutes straight.

• Locked thread