Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

First I'd get a lawyer and an accountant then invest so my family and I have money besides the base amount.

Then I'd buy a thousand acres or so in WA and turn a ton of it into a wildlife refuge and use the rest to build a little hippie-friendly farm for my family and friends to visit/live if they so choose as long as they agree to take care of the land they're on. I'd also build a place to park the bus and for other weirdos that live on busses to park their too. I guess I'd also probably finish my bus conversion, because I love this thing, and give my two roommates a pair of converted busses so they can go off and do whatever they want instead of being stuck on ours. Who needs a private jet when you can be like a snail and take your house with you?

I'd give my mom enough money she could start up her pottery business again, because about fifteen years ago my dad ruined it. I want to see her have a spot she can do pottery and spin and weave and do all her art uninterrupted by lovely relatives. I'd also get a herd of sheep and a llama or two for her.

My fiance would be getting a huge garage with every tool and every project car he's ever wanted. I'd also want to travel the world with him; he's been to a ton of countries I've never seen. I'd make sure he never had to have a poo poo job again. I might also do some kickass giant wedding for us and fly everyone we love in. I'd also send some money to my ex-husband to make sure he gets the help he needs and take some stress off him. Trying to get better and busting your rear end at work to survive has to be awful.

I always wanted a yak to ride and use for wool, so yeah, yak. Maybe like ten yaks. gently caress horses, those things are easily-frightened assholes and horse hair is pretty hard to spin anyway.

I'd probably be giving money to small startup businesses that I deem awesome, and some of the charities that actually do good for people here and in other countries. I'd also donate to no-kill animal shelters and groups that rehome abandoned/neglected/abused animals. I'd love to gove money to the people in other countries that guard endangered animals from poaching.

And lastly to alert my friends that we all just got rich and poo poo was about to get awesome, I'd stick giant gilded dildos on all their cars/doorsteps. Surprise motherfuckas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

I would find a nice farmhouse not so far away in the English countryside and convert the courtyard buildings to two bungalows for parents and brother

I would build a pool

I would buy and repair old Ford Capris

I would install Aircon

I'd have amazingly fast internet and probably hit refresh on facebook just as much as I do now :smith:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

You know they would give you a deep discount, and the discounts would get bigger the more you bought. At the volumes you're talking about the economics would reverse themselves and they would be paying you to eat burgers, ending up with more money than you started with

and then two billion $1 burgers

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Would buy a Snickers.

Well at least a bit more often than now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pay off my and immediate family's debts. Put the rest in banks and investments and live off interest.

Buy a cottage or farm (and install a fiber optic internet connection) and rescue all the dogs and cats forever.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Immediately buy a guillotine and execute myself with it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Two chicks at the same time, man

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Buy a nice little house out in the boonies and really go nuts with my gardening, get into blacksmithing and welding, pay off my friends and families bills forever, buy a nice fishing boat, and then invest the rest to have a steady flow of money that I just pump into charities and non profit groups.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If I wanted to make a positive impact in the world, I think I would help residential renters to buy out their landlords (if they wanted) and pay for good affordable housing and then give it away to people, because it is good for people to be able to own their own homes. If people have legal title to their own real property, then that can help to improve their security for the future.

Alternatively, I might sell it for a nominal price and then invest that receipt into the construction of further houses, there is always a shortage these days.

But at the same time, it would be fun to be a big shot movie producer. I might do that if I had a billion dollars. Make some movies.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Be able to afford Games Workshop products at Australian prices.

Or video games, for that matter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd have all of you assassinated just because I can

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
4 billion gumballs.

real answer, buy a nice house with a large personal theater, make sure my loved ones are comfortable, and then surprise charities/telethons with huge donations at random.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Besides the usual "invest most, hire smart guy to look after it" which I feel is sort of given, I'd join a bunch of Patreons at unnecessarily high tiers, and get into the pricey IRL equivalent of a hobby I currently only simulate.

Th3D0Nn
Jul 22, 2015
I would purchase Bioware from EA, get the band back together and let them make good RPGs again. Carte Blanche for the designers, they get a budget and time frame.
I would buy a nice house for myself, and work at a creative hobby. Something that I enjoy and have no pressure to make money at, but can dive into and be good at to keep my mind focused and engaged. Probably woodworking, and I would make furniture for friends and family.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

Besides the usual "invest most, hire smart guy to look after it" which I feel is sort of given, I'd join a bunch of Patreons at unnecessarily high tiers, and get into the pricey IRL equivalent of a hobby I currently only simulate.

With that much money I'd probably only invest like a third of it, I guess because I've heard so many horror stories of shady investment guys who really don't know what the gently caress they're doing. And I'm sure as hell not gonna stay on top of it myself, so I'd always be paranoid that somehow my money was gonna disappear.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sire as many children as possible thus flushing my wealth away but leaving future genealogists conpletely flummoxed

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The nouveau riche have a problem with holding onto money because the old money is already insulated from people that would try to steal from them. They've got generations worth of connections and networking that can give them recommendations on good staff.

What I"m saying is that I'd go talk with the richest person I know and keep it on the DL from everyone else that I have a billion bucks until my network is big enough that I can be insulated from everyone I don't want to deal with.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The nouveau riche have a problem with holding onto money because the old money is already insulated from people that would try to steal from them. They've got generations worth of connections and networking that can give them recommendations on good staff.

What I"m saying is that I'd go talk with the richest person I know and keep it on the DL from everyone else that I have a billion bucks until my network is big enough that I can be insulated from everyone I don't want to deal with.

What if it turns out old money stay rich by scamming the nouveau riche?

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

What if it turns out old money stay rich by scamming the nouveau riche?

Please stop poisoning the well that JUST MAKING CHILI led all the nouveau rich to.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'd get robot assassins with my billion dollars and make sure that old money doesn't scam me.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A good chunk would have to go toward attempting to unfuck what the republicans are doing to the country. Fund sane candidates, PP, schools and after-school programs, ACLU, etc.

Set up immediate family so they never have to work again.

Travel all over the world for a year straight, or until the wife and I get tired.

Set up scholarships for the universities I attended, to return the favour. Make them need-based, and if they use a single red cent to build an idiotic stadium or some poo poo like that, they lose it all.

Build a massive workshop filled with every tool I can think of. Source a jet engine to power the dust collection system.

Take classes in arts & crafts and industrial design. Learn to make mid-century modern furniture in said workshop.

Buy random medical debt and forgive it.

Fill a garage with weird poo poo. Volvo P1800ES, Morgan Three-Wheeler, Ford Ranchero, Jeep Wagoneer. Convert a basket-case roller/shell Porsche 911 from the 70s to electric.

Donate to animal charities, especially those that rescue and heal.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Giant completely self sufficient enclosed cat utopia, pay for people to scour the countries alleys and shelters for wayward cats, ship them to the utopia where they will live like little gods. Vets on staff take care of the cats and make sure they're healthy and fixed. I would place a tv and couch roughly in the middle of the utopia and just sort of sit there watching tv, drinking wine, reading and playing video games covered in cats until I eventually die and my corpse was eaten my the cats and no one could call me lovely things because I'm technically doing my part to save North American ecology, even though the real reason I'm doing it is that I like cats more than I do people, plants, living, etc.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Go around and anonymously pay off every crowdfunding request for medical bills I can find.

Build my dream house with all the technological goodies and accessibility devices money can buy. And then start a foundation to reward innovation in the latter.

Give some friends and family money to live comfortably and support their dreams.

Own all the animals my lovely immune system allows. And the staff to help me take care of them. Staff gets paid plenty because there's no point in being a grinch.

Digital subscriptions to every newspaper I read online. Donations to everything I've ever wanted to help fund.

I don't even think I'd do anything approaching obscene displays of wealth because I'm poor and my thoughts on what to do with money are always at least a little practical.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

mysterious frankie posted:

Giant completely self sufficient enclosed cat utopia, pay for people to scour the countries alleys and shelters for wayward cats, ship them to the utopia where they will live like little gods. Vets on staff take care of the cats and make sure they're healthy and fixed. I would place a tv and couch roughly in the middle of the utopia and just sort of sit there watching tv, drinking wine, reading and playing video games covered in cats until I eventually die and my corpse was eaten my the cats and no one could call me lovely things because I'm technically doing my part to save North American ecology, even though the real reason I'm doing it is that I like cats more than I do people, plants, living, etc.

On this note, fund every TNR program I can find contact information for so they can reduce the outdoor cat population in a slow, humane manner.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I'd buy the forums and shut it down.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Finally I can destroy the moon.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
give money to my family i guess

move far enough north to where i can live out climate change comfortably without committing suicide

buy a bunch of machine tools and accessories so i can actually get good at the trade that i work in. probably go back to school as well i guess

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
First I would quit my job immediately and never look back. I'd get another job eventually just to prevent boredom, but something I actually enjoy this time. Then I'd probably spend about 20-30 million on a big cabin in a forest somewhere where the weather isn't awful like northern new mexico, preferably with no neighbors within a few miles. I'd donate a lot (~100 million or so total spread out among the best ones) to wildlife and forest/national park conservation charities, I guess I'd give a couple million each to my close family members (with the explicit understanding that it's a one time thing and they can't use me as their personal bank). I'd also buy some vacation homes in my favorite places in Norway and Switzerland which should eat up another few million.

After all that I guess aside from maybe 50 million or so as random spending money (buy a car, a dog...whatever), I'd do the boring thing and invest the rest. Basically I'd disconnect with the world as much as possible and probably die rich and alone.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Other than all the normal stuff everyone already mentioned?

Third World Dictator.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'd probably do some petty poo poo just to watch the fireworks. Like, offer everyone besides upper management in my department a few million each to quit immediately, but only if everyone quits.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

get that OUT of my face posted:

Two chicks at the same time, man

This is a BILLION though. Make that... Three chicks. :clint:

Start a games company. Remake Def Jam: Fight For New York.

Fun movies. get Del Torro to make that Mountains of Madness film. Bribe him to make my crappy stories into movies. I'm a billionaire. Like I give a poo poo.

Buy a pub.

Funxion
Nov 30, 2005

This man talks to empty chairs at conventions. Please help this man back to being an idol. Fight Alzheimers!
Invest in companies that use renewables and/or sustainable processes. Invest in future tech/industry like asteroid capture and asteroid mining. Billion to trillions right there.

Buy a plot of land, couple of acres, build my own house much like Bill Gates' place, fully wired up etc.

Would not stop working actually, boredom kills.

Fund political movements aimed at stopping the left and the right, so centrist parties.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ariong posted:

Finally I can destroy the moon.

Ooh, I could blow up Pluto to finally settle that argument.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
Several meetings with Warren Buffett

Travel the world with my mom

Buy an isolated home

Yoga master + kung fu master for lifetime training

Fund womens rights and sustainable energy

Also the contained catopia.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'd gently caress your mother.

You laugh now, but I would be able to afford a good PI to find your real identity, and the identity of your mother. And then, just make a simpler offer: half a billion dollars for her to spend however she wanted, in exchange for a one hour video of me going at her various orifices animal-style.

I mean, I don't know your mother (yet). But everyone's got a price. Is she a God-fearing Christian woman? Half a billion to various righteous Christian causes, plus a few nice things for her church too, would buy an hour of sin (and brother, we would sin.) Is she a horrible person who would blow the whole wad on meth and designer handbags? If I tell her she will never have to come down from her high and never have to use the same handbag twice, she would spread for me like warm butter on hot toast. Is she a normal person, lives in relative comfort and means well, but secretly dreams of always providing for her family forever? Her children, her grandchildren, and her granchildren's grandchildren would never want for security again, in exchange for cheating on your father - and hell, for that money and that future your father would probably run the camera for us.

And then, one hour and one defiled mother later, I would spend the other half a billion dollars making you watch the video. Hire hackers to hack your computer and/or cellphone, hijack your local cable company, show it on every screen you will ever see, I will even go A Clockwork Orange on you - but you will watch the things I do to your mom.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

First step: Buy a decommissioned nuclear missile silo. Because very little says "gently caress off" to unwanted relatives quite like several meters of hardened concrete buried underground.

Second step: Turn the bottommost layer into the worlds most awesome ball pit.

Third step: section out something like 10 million dollars for me and the people I care about most to live on for the rest of our lives.

Final step: Donate the rest to charities, because I'm a decent person like that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'd suck every dick in town every fuckin day

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'd suck every dick in town every fuckin day

You already do that, Larry.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Let's just say Mr president Donald Trump isn't gonna be needing to look for donors come 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Fund a system of micro-satellites which collect orbital debris to keep our space safe!

... only once it was too late would the fools realise that the debris thus collected was being compacted into projectiles, and my satellites could launch them at any point on Earth I chose.
In all honesty, calling it Project Damocles should have been a giveaway.

• Locked thread