Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Now that Xenophon has been permabanned ( :rip: ) and I made the 2016 thread with his express permission, I figure I am the rightful heir to the favorite/least favorite thread. Let us rejoice.

General Rules
Send a complete list of your 10 favorite & 10 least favorite active MLB players to sasheartsbaseball@gmail.com. Number your lists like so (edit: also include your usernames somewhere in the email):

These lists can include free agents, DL mainstays (*cough* David Wright) or recently-demoted players, but can not include retirees, umpires (someone tried to vote for Angel Hernandez last year, shame on you), or the literal dead (miss you José).

Remember, these are YOUR favorites & unfavorites, not necessarily the best/worst players. Feel free to factor in anything from WAR to blatant homerism to social media interactions to general dreaminess.

Not everyone likes to be a Negative Nancy, so I am willing to accept ballots without unfavorites.

Unwritten Written Rules
You are strongly encouraged to use this thread to campaign! Post GIFs, pics, videos, stats, and other various reasons why anyone should vote for your favorites/unfavorites.

You are also strongly encouraged to include reasons in the ballots you email me, because they're fun to read and I like them. :shobon:

How Voting Works
Your #1 player will receive 10 points, your #2 player will receive 9, your #3 will receive 8, and so on. If you send me an incomplete list, it hurts your top picks -- so if you send me a list of 5 players, the top one receives 5, the next receives 4, etc.

Deadline: July 28, 11:59pm. You have ten days. DO NOT post your ballots in the thread until voting is over!

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can I still vote for Jose Fernandez?

Poque posted:

Nope, it's in the OP. :smith:

I mention him by name and everything! :( He can be #1 in your heart.

Julio Cruz posted:

How eligible is Jenrry Mejia?

Wow, what an edge case. I would say no, since he's not eligible to play at all this year.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pancakes posted:

Reminder that last year I was the only person to have any Cardinals at all on my favorites list.

That was really funny because I didn't realize that was true until you asked about it. :haw:

quote:

Y'all are mean and should at least embrace CarMart and Yadi.

I like CarMart, but I don't top-10 like him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Trevor Bauer helped a girl with her homework and bled all over the field, and those were the only cool things he ever did. gently caress that guy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Everyone gets one do-over. JUST ONE.

Vote carefully.

edit: also do-overs should be in the form of email, please

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 18, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Day 1

Ballot count: 9

Compared to last year, we're much more divided on our faves & unfaves. There's already no universally beloved/hated figure, and there are already two people who have votes in both categories.

Friendly reminder to at least TRY to spell people's names right in your ballot, as I do not have encyclopedic knowledge of every MLB player in existence, and don't send me umps/retirees because I have the same Google as you and I will find out.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

Does Jung Ho Kang qualify?

Jeez, 2017 is full of weird edge cases. I decided that he qualified, even though I don't think he qualifies now (for some reason, I thought he was on the 40-man this year), so feel free to vote for him however you see fit. Maybe if he ends up in the top 25 on either list, I'll expand the list to 26 items.

shadok posted:

YeahTubaMike I want to thank you for doing this, you did a great job last year and it was a lot of fun.

The Berzerker posted:

Agreed with shadok.

Aw, thank you guys :kiddo: I had a lot of fun doing it last year, except for the part where Jose Fernandez died in the middle of the countdown. :smith:

edit: also, my Day 2 post isn't ready because I've actually had work to do at work today.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Day 3

Ballot count: 15 (as of yesterday before I fell asleep)

First of all, I need to admit that I had neither Salvador Pérez nor Lorenzo Cain on my ballot and I am deeply sorry because they are both wonderful and I might literally cry if/when they are ever on separate teams.

Second of all, :siren: fun facts! :siren: I forgot how to make bullet points, so...

-There are now 76 players with at least one loved vote, and 70 players with at least one hated vote. Once again, you hate harder than you love, as the top three hateds have 189 combined points and the top three loveds have 145.

-The AL East has the most players with at least one hate-point. The AL East also has the most players with at least one love-point. The AL Central has the fewest hated players, and the NL West has the fewest loved.

-The love/hate overlap has expanded to six players. I wonder how many will make it into the top 25.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

I need to amend my votes, is urgent.

I haven't even tabulated your votes yet, feel free to send me another email.

Reminder,

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everyone gets one do-over. JUST ONE.

Vote carefully.

edit: also do-overs should be in the form of email, please

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Day 5

Ballot count: 18

:siren: More fun facts! :siren:

The way I've been counting your votes is by putting them all into two spreadsheets. I copied every player's name out of each team's Wikipedia entry in order to make the spreadsheet, along with team, division, and each player's position.

I say this to preface the fact that you are all some grudge-having motherfuckers. I barely even have to scroll around the "most hated" spreadsheet to add points when I sort the sheet Z -> A on the total points column. Hate some new people, drat it!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
My most hated list is basically the same, people who have intentionally hurt/tried to hurt people (on or off the field) and people with reprehensible opinions. I almost put one guy on there for having a lovely ill-thought-out tattoo, but then I remembered that homophobia exists.

Speaking of blatant homer votes, Jacob deGrom is starting against the Padres tonight. Just saying. :ninja:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

May I offer a rebuttal?

Javy Baez is sexier and awesomer, so rebuttal denied.

Also, I've only gotten one ballot since July 23 so I don't really have any new fun facts or anything, sorry. Only two days left!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Paul Zuvella posted:

Next time we do this there needs to be a 3rd list.

"What major leaguer's hand would you most like to hold?"

I mean, I definitely made it clear in the OP that voting based around player dreaminess was allowed/encouraged, so I don't even know what to say. Also, someone had a handsomest player thread and that was fun for a while.

Unless you mean some sort of platonic handholding thing in which case I have no idea. There was a game in which Seth Lugo talked about his curveball, and demonstrated different grips with a ball as he explained, and I thought to myself that he had much prettier hands than I would expect a major league pitcher to have.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I apologize for my lack of update frequency, I am having the week from hell (lost wallet, missed replacement card packages, long-lost relatives trying to make appearances, etc.). The dust is settled now. :toot:

Pancakes posted:

My last lobbying post, I promise.

[a bunch of cool stuff about Jon Jay]

This is a shame -- lobbying posts are good and highly encouraged, especially since there's only about 1 1/2 days left to vote! Lobby your little heart out!

Day 9

Ballot count: 21

There is finally one player who has earned over 100 points.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
That was a great moment. The Marlins in general are an underrated team, personality-wise, especially given that José Fernández didn't even crack the top 25 last year.

Also, :siren: FRIENDLY REMINDER: :siren: that you have until 11:59pm tonight to submit your ballots!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm not hungover, you're hungover. :negative:

ALL VOTES ARE IN!

Ballot count: 25

Possibly an all-time low. I'll step up my self-promotion game next year. At any rate, it's number-crunching time!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm a Mets fan, so I know all about how depressing 2017 is. It's been rough. :smith::hf::smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Alright, I'm going to start out with some purely anecodtal un-stats-related stuff because I can not for the life of me figure out how to make any graphs in Google anymore. I will figure this out, and I will be stats-ing it up in no time.

To start,

Player Who Got Zero Positive Votes That I Was Personally Most Shocked About

Christian Yelich
Team: Miami Marlins
Debut: July 23, 2013

Yes, I understand that he plays for the Marlins and no one likes the Marlins. However, Yelich had a fantastic 2016, earning a Silver Slugger award and a spot on the USA World Baseball Classic roster. Brendan Tobin, a local radio host, underestimated him, stating that he would eat crow if Yelich hit 20 homeruns in 2016, and then Yelich hit 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qph95XxR2QM

He also hustles himself to death, as evidenced by the infamous catch where he dented the wall with his face (linked because huge).

He also also has a burgeoning bromance with Giancarlo Stanton, and is easy on the eyes.

I guess I just thought that his appeal, combined with his WBC exposure, would put him on more people's radar this year.

Player Who Got Zero Negative Votes That I Was Personally Most Shocked About

Noah Syndergaard
Team: New York Mets
Debut: May 12, 2015

Personally, I love Noah Syndergaard and probably always will, unless he does something particularly heinous down the line. That said, he seemed to have bought into his own hype this year. He spent the offseason bulking up to an irresponsible degree. He controversially refused an MRI, tore his lat in the top of the 2nd inning of his next start, and has been on the DL ever since. Additionally, he made comments toward Mets PR guy Jay Horwitz that didn't sit right with fans or the media (that I personally felt were overblown, but whatever).

Being the social media-savvy guy that he is, he issued a Twitter statement, appearing to have been humbled by his experiences, but I assumed Mets fans (and NL East detractors) would have held onto the grudge. I guess if people forgive Jose Reyes though, they'll easily forgive a lapse in maturity.

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/859245651296632832

kensei posted:

Oh no I was out of town all week and just found this thread. I'll vote next year...

You can always just post angrily about how everyone else is wrong when I start posting results :unsmith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Pussy Boss posted:

Who could hate Thor? Well probably some idiot New Yorkers who think he's soft or something. But he throws 100 mph and his nickname is Thor, I mean come on

The general fan reaction to his injury was pretty serious. People were angry because he was our best pitcher and his immaturity cost us a season.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I hate Thor's hair

It's certainly the worst of the Big Three.

Poque posted:

Maybe it's just cuz I don't care at all about the NL East, but I have a hard time thinking anybody could hate Thor or care at all about Yelich.

I never realized how serious my NL East bias was.

quote:

aside from maybe that vid where Yelich is very clearly enjoying a tasty snack

Link please

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

The whole link is :nws: so it's hidden for your inconvenience. The video is removed but I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the deep web.

http://deadspin.com/man-who-may-or-may-not-be-christian-yelich-eats-a-butt-1783873362

gently caress, why can't I ever remember off the top of my head that the "snacking" incident happened? I still don't think it was him.

edit: nice ninja edit :ninja:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 30, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Possibly Harvey. I'd disagree though, because I think it's slightly too soon to tell.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I think Yu Darvish is sexually attractive so i hope he got a vote or two

Yu Darvish got exactly one favorite vote, and it was not high enough to get him to the top 25. My condolences.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Just to let you know why this inaugural post has been so slow to come, there is a 5-way tie for #25 most hated, and a 7-way tie for most loved. Of the 13 people represented, 12 of them got their spot with a single #3 vote. Of the 12, one of them was me. What this means is that there are 11 dudes who I mostly have no idea why you were so enthused/repulsed. I did what I could.

#25 Most Hated - 8 points

Jason Heyward
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: April 5, 2010

What's to hate? It is somewhat unclear. His struggles at the plate are well documented though, and this might be enough to earn a spot on the 2017 Hall of Shame since we're so light on ballots this year.

DJ LeMahieu
Team: Colorado Rockies
Debut: May 30, 2011

What's to hate? Brandon Belt has gone on record as saying that he wants to punch him in the face.

quote:

I hate him...A 6-foot-5 second baseman playing in shallow right field … he does it to me all the time. I mean, he’s a friend of mine. I know him. He’s a nice guy. I still want to punch him in the face.

I can't rule out the possibility that one of these ballots was submitted by Brandon Belt. He was the only one with multiple votes.

Miguel Cabrera
Team: Detroit Tigers
Debut: June 20, 2003

What's to hate? He's been slumping pretty hard this year, not showing any signs of stopping and not handling it gracefully.

Hunter Pence
Team: San Francisco Giants
Debut: April 28, 2007

What's to hate? Hate it or love it, Hunter Pence has an enormous personality. Perhaps his performance this year isn't enough to make up for what can be seen by some fun-haters as irritating.

José Bautista
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: April 4, 2004

What's to hate? Outspoken to an offputting degree, and it can come across as whiny. Combine that with the fact that he's struck out 108 times this season (his career high is 116) and you've got a pretty good recipe for unlikability.

Current Rankings

quote:

25.Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 3, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#25 Most Loved - 8 points

Kevin Pillar
Debut: August 14, 2013

What's to love? Kevin Pillar is simply a delight to watch. He is an endless fount of fielding highlights, and after going 3 for 32 in the 2016 postseason he has worked enough kinks out of his bat to earn the lead-off spot.

https://twitter.com/thejaysnation/status/861747997482340356

After using a homophobic slur again Braves pitcher Jason Motte after taking offense to what he perceived as quick-pitching, he issued what might possibly be the most sincere public apology I've ever seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/KPILLAR4/status/865269119192633345

While his actions were inexcusable, the realness of his apology -- combined with the donation of his forfeited salary (he was suspended for two days) to PFLAG and You Can Play -- have redeemed him somewhat in the eyes of fans.

Devon Travis
Debut: April 6, 2015

What's to love? I apologize for my lack of knowledge of what goes on in the non-NYC AL East. Devon Travis seems like a likable enough guy who can not keep himself off of the disabled list. He had shoulder problems throughout 2015, missed most of the playoffs in 2016 with knee issues, and has been on the DL with even more knee problems since June 6. Hopefully he can piece himself back together next year.

Adam Wainwright
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: September 11, 2005

What's to love? He basically strikes me as a nice version of Madison Bumgarner. Being one month shy of 36 years old, he's not nearly as lethal on the mound as MadBum these days (or as his 2014 All-Star self, to be fair), but with a career ERA of 3.27 and only four DL stints under his belt, Cards fans can still count on him to get the job done.

Jean Segura
Team: Seattle Mariners
Debut: July 24, 2012

What's to love? The greatest actor in MLB history.

https://twitter.com/goodfundies/status/891151203211644928

He's also the second-hittingest guy in the AL at the moment, with a batting average of .323, so he has that going for him.

Starling Marte
Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Debut: July 26, 2012

What's to love? All is apparently forgiven in the wake of Starling Marte's PED controversy! Marte returned to the Pirates lineup on July 18 after serving an 80-game suspension for testing positive for Nandrolone, and fans welcomed him back with open arms.

George Springer
Team: Houston Astros
Debut: April 16, 2014

What's to love? George Springer is having a career year. He made his first All-Star appearance this year, where, despite having dealt with a stutter for all his life, he gave a memorable on-field interview.

quote:

I can’t spread a message to kids and adults if I’m not willing to put myself out there. I understand I’m gonna stutter. I don’t care. It is what it is. It’s not gonna stop me from talking or having fun.

Andrew Miller
Team: Cleveland Indians
Debut: August 30, 2006

What's to love? Deadly sliders.

Least offensive pitchface in the AL.

Handsome as gently caress.

The long lean 2016 ALCS MVP and two-time All-Star is dearly missed here in New York, or at the very least, in my apartment. :allears:

Current Rankings

quote:

25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Berzerker posted:

I'm a big Jays homer and even I can't understand why Travis is on someone's list (unless it's because he's a babe).

Generally speaking, when I can't figure out why someone likes a player after extensive Googling, I just assume it's babe-hood. I did the same thing when Darwin Barney made the list last year. I'd never even heard of the guy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

This is a weird favorites list, so far. Baseball SAS is confirmed to be weirder than ever, I guess.

There were so few ballots that everyone's weird pet picks got bumped up a couple of notches. Like I said, #25 was comprised almost entirely of players who were VERY liked or VERY hated by one specific SASer (I still don't know how I was the only one who voted for Andrew Miller, but hey).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kirios posted:

What's the more attractive part of Andrew Miller - his beard or his slider?

I've been trying to answer this question for like 30 minutes, and I honestly am not sure. Gonna have to go with the slider though, because that thing is filthy.

Paul Zuvella posted:

relief pitchers are boring

YOU'RE boring. :mad:

Inspector_666 posted:

Trick question: His moustache.

:geno:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#24 Most Hated - 9 points

A flurry of #2 votes, with one exception.

Kurt Suzuki
Team: Atlanta Braves
Debut: June 12, 2007

What's to hate? Any reason to hate a Brave is a good one, as far as I'm concerned. That said, he has been having a decent year and a fantastic July, so I'm not sure what the specific problem is.

Darren O'Day
Team: Baltimore Orioles
Debut: March 31, 2008

What's to hate? Has a super ugly delivery. This guy was #19 on the list last year and no one ever elaborated on their reasons.

Brandon Crawford
Debut: May 27, 2011

What's to hate? He's not having a great year, but I strongly suspect that this vote was predominantly Dodgers salt-motivated. Naturally, Crawford was the only one with multiple votes, making this even more confusing.

Johnny Cueto
Debut: April 3, 2008

What's to hate? Jason LaRue doesn't hold a grudge, but SAS does. LaRue's career was prematurely ended & his life was changed when Johnny Cueto kicked him in the head repeatedly in 2010.

Derek Norris
Team: Tampa Bay Rays no one
Debut: June 21, 2012

What's to hate? Allegedly roughed up ex-fiancee Kristen Eck after she caught him talking on the phone with a female suitor.

quote:

Derek approached me from behind and put me in a choke hold...I threw the phone onto the kitchen island and tried to get away. Derek then grabbed me by the back of my hair to pull me back to him. He eventually let go and as i turned around he grabbed me by my upper arms so I couldn’t leave as he tried to drunkenly explain that he wasn’t talking to another female.

After this I tried to go to our bedroom to get my phone to call my mom so she could come help me. He stood in front of me cornering me so i could not get to my phone.

Francisco Rodriguez
Team: Detroit Tigers Washington Nationals no one
Debut: September 18, 2002

What's to hate? Aside from the 7.82 ERA that earned him unceremonious releases by the Tigers AND the Nats in less than a month, he has been accused of trashing a home he rented last year.

Current Rankings

quote:

24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez
25. Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

e: never mind!

You didn't see anything. *jedi hand wave*

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I didn't even realize K-Rod was still playing, otherwise he would've probably made my hated list somewhere near the bottom.

I mean, he's technically kind of not. :shrug:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#24 Most Loved - 9 points

Brandon Crawford
Debut: May 27, 2011

What's to love?

Nah, but seriously, he's pretty great. He grew up a Giants fan, came up through the Giants organization, and has been playing consistently with the Giants since 2011. He didn't make a HUGE splash during his WBC appearance, but he's got a lot of good will built up from EYBS his contributions to the Giants' 2012 and 2014 WS wins.

Justin Turner
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: September 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/gaslampball/status/880981754206498816

What's to love? Justin Turner raaaaaaaaaakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shhW5CLF6H0

He also has an absurdly adorable puppy named Moonshine...

...in addition to a fun personality. :unsmith:

Yadier Molina
Debut: June 3, 2004

What's to love? High baseball IQ, extremely gung-ho attitude.

Adam Wainwright posted:

You don't ever have to worry about bouncing a ball to Yadier. He's a human vacuum behind the plate. The only thing you have to think about is making the pitch, because you know Yadi's going to catch whatever you throw.

Salvador Pérez
Team: Kansas City Royals
Debut: August 10, 2011

What's to love? What's NOT to love, really? He's a big giant teddy bear who also happens to also be a five-time All-Star, and he still finds time to harass Lorenzo Cain for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n4NE9S_2yo

He's the only public figure who I've never seen receive a negative Instagram comment. Dude radiates positivity and awesomeness.

Carlos Correa
Team: Houston Astros
Debut: June 8, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_wa0SMVPCA

What's to love? He's young, he's fantastic, and he's only going to get better. AL Rookie of the Year in 2015, All-Star and WBC silver medalist in 2017 -- it's truly a shame that he's injured this year because he's such fun to watch on both sides of the plate.

Current Rankings (players on both lists will be bolded as they're added, just like last year)

quote:

24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bawfuls posted:

Justin Turner is awesome and the most gingery ginger man to ever ginger.

Counterpoint

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
At long last, a non-tie! :toot:

#23 Most Hated - 10 points

Chris Davis
Team: Baltimore Orioles
Debut: June 26, 2008

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? Spells his name wrong and absolutely slays the Jays. Not a terrible player against other teams, mind you, but he has hit more homers against Blue Jays pitching than any other active MLB player.

Current Rankings

quote:

23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Back to ties. :geno: These are each one person's favorite player, and once again my vote is represented. I'll let you guess who I chose.

#23 Most Loved - 10 points

Adrian Gonzalez
Debut: April 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/gaslampball/status/880981754206498816
sorry, I just really love this GIF/video

What's to love? Adrián el Titán has been stunningly reliable as a player, having gone on the disabled list for the first time in his 13-year career this past May (granted, it's a doozy, but still). Despite the fact that nagging injuries have enabled Cody Bellinger to replace him, he has handled the situation tremendously well, even going as far as recommending against sending Bellinger down when Joc Pederson came off the DL.

quote:

The way I was feeling at the time, I told them straight up, ‘He’s a better guy to help the team win than me hurt...I mean, I’m just here to win. It’s not about, ‘It’s my position,’ or, ‘It’s his position.’ It’s about winning as a team. If he’s the best guy for the team that day, he’s going to play. If I’m the best guy for the team that day, I’m going to play.

He famously criticized the extremely awesome (but not above criticism, to be fair) World Baseball Classic in the wake of Mexico's elimination, but that doesn't seem to have hurt Dodgers fans' attitude toward him at all.

Carlos Martinez
Debut: May 3, 2013

What's to love? First off, he's a great pitcher. That said, his fun-loving personality is probably more endearing than his sheer performance.

He is a man of many hairstyles, for one.

He likes to imitate his teammates when they're at bat too, which is something I have gotten to witness in person, which was glorious.

Jerry Blevins
Debut: September 16, 2007

What's to love? Nasty, nasty curveballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Do1l8itr6E

Has an SNY vlog called Hello Jerry, in which he answers fan questions that have nothing to do with baseball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fERaGHCcW0w

Rally-bleached his hair with the team even though it looked loving horrible.

Even puppies like him. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/851188067100745730

Noah Syndergaard
Debut: May 12, 2015

What's to love? Pitched beautifully through the 2016 NLWC, as well as the entire rest of his career.

He's a big guy with a bigger personality, and baseball is less fun with him on the DL (tore his lat under mysterious circumstances that no one likes to talk about).

Fortunately his injury has not prevented him from continuing to feud with Mr. Met.

https://twitter.com/mrmet/status/883024696865943552

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/883123983993798656

Lorenzo Cain
Team: Kansas City Royals
Debut: July 16, 2010

What's to love? Not just Salvy Pérez's bestie, Lorenzo Cain is charming in his own right, not to mention a great outfielder.

https://twitter.com/LasMayores/status/892172576373571585

Also, he hit a 302-foot homer which...what the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjXN76yyQ2Y

His splashing skills could use some serious work though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu6b7bfZkmA&t=86s

Current Rankings

quote:

23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 3, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Good evening, everyone! I am currently vacationing in Blue Jays territory, hence the delay. Sorry about that!

#22 Most Hated - 11 points

Carlos Gómez
Team: Texas Rangers
Debut: May 13, 2007

#1 votes: 1
#3 votes: 0

What's to hate? If I had to guess, I would say that it was his awful 2016 with the Astros, which led to his release, after which the Rangers picked him up and he proceeded to turn back into a good player.

He did piss off Brian McCann in 2013 though, you'd think that'd be enough to make up for it. :shobon:

Current Rankings

quote:

22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#22 Most Loved - 11 points

Robinson Canó
Debut: May 3, 2005

#2 votes: 1

What's to love? In an All-Star Game with too few dingers, he smashed one to bits and earned himself the MVP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiOrKhGQfAo

Has a beard blessed with Derek Jeter's sacred touch.

Seriously though, in addition to being a clutch player with a scorching hot bat, he's a good dude. He runs the RC22 Foundation, meant to help children in Seattle and his native Dominican Republic, and has a wing in the Hackensack Medical Center named after him. Class act.

Edwin Encarnación
Team: Cleveland Indians
Debut: June 24, 2005

What's to love? The imaginary parrot Edwing, for one.

Encarnación has gone from raking with the Jays to raking with Cleveland, thus spreading good will to a whole other division. It's no wonder Indians fans would like him, given how well he's been hitting for them.

Current Rankings

quote:

22. Robinson Canó, Edwin Encarnación
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The #21 most hateables are really REALLY hateable this year, so brace yourselves.

#21 Most Hated - 12 points

John Jaso
Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Debut: September 6, 2008

What's to hate? Voluntarily, unapologetically has the most disgusting hair in MLB history. Believe me, I have looked for additional reasons to hate him, but aside from the hair, he seems like a normal guy and a pretty much average player. The hair is unforgivable though.

Jeurys Familia
Debut: September 4, 2012

What's to hate? On October 31, 2016, Familia's wife Bianca Rivas called the police (the recording of the call is in the link).

quote:

"My husband had a little bit of alcohol and he's going crazy," says Rivas, whose identifying information is redacted from the audio recording provided to NJ Advance Media.

"Your husband is drinking and you're in a dispute with him?" the dispatcher asks.

"Yeah. He's drunk," Rivas responds.

Police stated that when they arrived, Rivas looked a bit roughed up.

quote:

Familia's wife, Bianca Rivas, was left with scratches on her chest and a bruise on her right cheek, police said.

On Thursday, [Prosecutor Arthur] Balsamo said that Rivas told him that the scratch came from the couple's 1-year-old child and that the mark on her cheek came from leaning on it.

Rivas dropped charges, but MLB suspended Familia for 15 days anyway because the evidence, according to their investigation (and to be fair, common sense), added up.

Jonathan Papelbon
Team: Washington Nationals still no one
Debut: July 31, 2005

#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? Still a smarmy rear end in a top hat who no one likes, and thankfully now he's not good enough to play for anyone. It breaks my heart that he's in the same FA class as Tim Lincecum.

Current Rankings

quote:

21. John Jaso, Jeurys Familia, Jonathan Papelbon
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Long hair is nice, and a lot of my favorite-to-look-at players are long-haired, but when you get into Charlie Blackmon/Heath Hembree/John Jaso territory, it's gone too far.

I think John Jaso's hair grosses me out even more because he has teammates who have great dreadlocks (Josh Bell, Gift Ngoepe sometimes).

edit: I also though Jarrod Saltamacchia's hair was pretty gross, for what it's worth.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#21 Most Loved - 13 points

Brandon McCarthy
Debut: May 3, 2005

What's to love? A handsome, if underwhelming (he had a 4.95 ERA last year and has been on the DL for a significant amount of this year), pitcher with a great Twitter account and the same opinion on cupcakes as me.

https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/840821661662289920

He recently made fun of MLB's decision to use Memorial Day as a way to advertise merchandise, which is another indication of how good his opinions generally are.

https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/869201444016148481

He also used Linkin Park's "Figure .09" as walkup music in honor of Chester Bennington when news broke of his suicide, which was a cool gesture. I didn't vote for him because he & the Dodgers absolutely clowned the Mets during Robert Gsellman's first start in front of his family and I'm still salty.

Current Rankings

quote:

21. Brandon McCarthy
22. Robinson Canó, Edwin Encarnación

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I never saw that before, and it's hilarious. I want to know what he meant by it, but I also kind of don't. Some things should remain mysterious.

Julio Cruz posted:

I am shocked I wasn't the only person who voted for Jaso simply because of his hair.

Long hair is fine, even if it's greasy, but those dreads are just an abomination bordering on gorgon-like

Long hair is great, but long white guy dreads are terrible.

quote:

e: also I'd definitely have voted for Papelbon if I'd thought/remembered he was eligible.

I decided to make free agents eligible because they're TECHNICALLY still active players...in their own special way.

Pancakes posted:

Yeah, I thought he and Kang wouldn't count.

Honestly I probably would have left them off if they hadn't been parts of ties. Spoiler alert: Jung-ho Kang also made it into the top #25.

• Locked thread