Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I like Porters/Stouts in the fall/winter and Indias Pale Ale in the spring/summer. I'm a walking stereotype.

E: Is there actually any difference between a Porter and a Stout? I thought Porter was just "Less-stouty Stout"?

originally stouts were specifically strong, brown porters and were called brown stouts (to differentiate from pale stouts which were strong pale beers).

in more modern times you'd be hard-pressed to really define a difference since there's week stouts and strong porters, though it mostly comes down to the grains used, but even that is kind of a spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

goose island was good before AB bought them

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

goose island pushed out a trans friend of mine. i will never drink their stuff

i heard through the grapevine that one of their ex-brewmeisters climbed up on a bar here in chicago and pissed on it after the ab acq

that sucks that that happens and gives me another reason not to drink their stuff

e: nevermind it was a real story that got published by the trib: https://beerpulse.com/2011/04/report-goose-island-brewmaster-greg-hall-found-urinating-into-beer-glasses-at-bar/

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Uptime Sinclair posted:

that said in the summer i’m more into pilsners, for grilling, especially

missing my summer wheats right now :sigh:

tonight was an attempt at cosmos for us, then a manhattan for me because we got more rye

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got a whole bunch of these 250ml cans of gin and lemonade premix 1.4 standrad drinks per can snd $6 for a pack of 6. they were expired. i bought a dozen boxers. guiess what im drunk on

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
beer?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
he own narratives of competence?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

goose island pushed out a trans friend of mine. i will never drink their stuff

amending this. it was lagunitas, not goose island.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I'm allowed to drink the rest of this 15-pack then?

:peanut:

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Endless Mike posted:

interesting and lovely. I used to like their beer but now I don’t want it anymore (my kid is trans so it hits home). at least I can still drink Bourbon County semi-guilt free (Goose Island makes it)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

when i was out that way i went to russian river and skipped lagunitas

goose island reserve series was so loving good. matilda, pere jacques, etc. i dont think they make them any more

i have a bottle of madame rose cellaring

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wait, ppl are aging beer now?

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i guess if you mean by "now" like for a long time yeah

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

graph posted:

when i was out that way i went to russian river and skipped lagunitas

goose island reserve series was so loving good. matilda, pere jacques, etc. i dont think they make them any more

i have a bottle of madame rose cellaring

Certain kinds of beer age really really well. The aforementioned Bourbon County really ages well and, when they release it, some beer bars actually offer "vertical flights" of it which is a small glass of the last six years of the beer. It is excellent. Usually its the very high gravity beers (high alcohol).

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lots of belgians are good for aging, supposedly

i don't have the patience for that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Trappist ales age really well generally, also heavy duty stouts like Russian imperial.

I've a couple of Westvleteren that have a year or two on them and they're fantastic.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the local micro down the street just released a foeder barleywine that can be aged 25 years

theyre also doing the solara method for the next 10 years where they only bottle half the foeder and brew the next batch in with the old one. interesting stuff

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

he1ixx posted:

Certain kinds of beer age really really well. The aforementioned Bourbon County really ages well and, when they release it, some beer bars actually offer "vertical flights" of it which is a small glass of the last six years of the beer. It is excellent. Usually its the very high gravity beers (high alcohol).

i would do a bourbon county vertical tasting

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That's interesting stuff, but I can't get this scene out of my head:

"Ah, waiter, I'll start with a salad nicoise, followed by the steak frittes, and perhaps, a nice bottle of the 2007 Amstel Light?"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

the local micro down the street just released a foeder barleywine that can be aged 25 years

theyre also doing the solara method for the next 10 years where they only bottle half the foeder and brew the next batch in with the old one. interesting stuff

that sounds very cool and also i'm gonna guess rather expensive

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SO DEMANDING posted:

that sounds very cool and also i'm gonna guess rather expensive

$16 for 8oz custom-sized bottle, and they sold out in an hour

the brewmaster regularly posts on their fb wall and it really seems like he knows his poo poo moreso than others around here

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
and oops its solera not solara https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solera

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
last year they did a pizza beer collaboration and that was one of the most loving interesting things ive ever tasted. it was a fun gimmick batch but gently caress it tasted exactly like a slice of pepperoni pizza

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pizza beer is the worst beer ive ever tried

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pizza beer is obviously a joke some guys came up with while drunk and they’ve taken it way too far. i have no idea how they’ve stayed in business

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

pizza beer is the worst beer ive ever tried

i could never drink a full pint but it was a silly 6oz pour to taste it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

good business model

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trappist really does sound kinda pedo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i have no idea how they’ve stayed in business

this is the best part about america and the size of the population. like you can have the worst product that no-one would ever buy twice

but you can still make a decent living making and selling this product

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

he1ixx posted:

would 100% do a flight of that

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Endless Mike posted:

originally stouts were specifically strong, brown porters and were called brown stouts (to differentiate from pale stouts which were strong pale beers).

in more modern times you'd be hard-pressed to really define a difference since there's week stouts and strong porters, though it mostly comes down to the grains used, but even that is kind of a spectrum

When I was in a university beer club, some head guy at a brewery tour said "all stouts are porters, but not all porters are stouts". And then I cannot remember the rest of the evening, due to an unexplained loss of consciousness and terrible palsy that afflicted me the next day.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
c drink s: double smirnoff in the bubly has been the cheap goto summer bev lately

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

c drink s: double smirnoff in the bubly has been the cheap goto summer bev lately

when I was an idiot binge-drinking college kid with no taste we would add smirnoff vodka to the smirnoff flavored malts

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The Fool posted:

the smirnoff flavored malts
explain

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i think he means smirnoff ice and other poo poo like that which is basically mikes hard lemonade. it's sold as a malt beverage, at least in the us

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i think he means smirnoff ice and other poo poo like that which is basically mikes hard lemonade. it's sold as a malt beverage, at least in the us

this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ohhh. ok.

the comparable i did in grad school was soju in pbr or rolling rock

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

finally tried a sour beer a couple weeks ago. did not care for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

finally tried a sour beer a couple weeks ago. did not care for it

in my experience the only good sours are belgian, any that are good and not belgian either have belgian involvement (ommegang pale sour) or were purely accidental

even then they are pretty divisive. remember a few years ago everyone was saying sours were totally going to be the next big thing after IPAs? lol