Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
cjs: drinking a cold grolsch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i prefer hertog jan but i guess we drank it all

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

cjs: drinking a cold grolsch
gorlsch bottle game tite

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
grolsch is ok for what it is i guess but i'd never order it at a bar in the netherlands because it is impossible for foreigners to pronounce

best to stick with something easy like palm or brand

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

grolsch in NL is different to grolsch in other places (at least the UK)

in NL its good. in the UK they brew it in Burton-upon-Trent and gently caress it up and it tastes lovely

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

ghghghghghghghghghhhrrrolsch

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i've only ever had it in canada and grolsch was to my taste for a time, haven't had it since the turn of the century

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
dunno if id say it's good but it's drinkable, better than heineken or amstel (brouwerij 't ij is the superior amsterdam brewery)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heineken experience was fun

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

got away from pale lagers as my palette developed, prefer a pilsner (esp. fussy imperial ones) for a crisp summer brewski

still, once in a while, on a plane or something

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i cant drink on planes in economy even if the booze are free (especially long flights) because you get all dehydrated and then i'll have to get up to pee a lot and i prefer the window

in business class however...:cheers:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

all day ipa is good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

also i had this the other day and it fuckin oooooowns https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30654/100443/

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

the last time we had one of these threads a lot of people revealed themselves to be titanic alcoholics, like 300+ drinks a week style

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

also i had this the other day and it fuckin oooooowns https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30654/100443/

you must have poasted the wrong link. that's an ipa which is specifically forbidden from "owning"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

anyway who am i to talk i gargle piss and wash it down with rubbing alcohol

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cat Face Joe posted:

the last time we had one of these threads a lot of people revealed themselves to be titanic alcoholics, like 300+ drinks a week style

lol cool. how do you even find time to drink that much, that's nearly 2 drinks an hour every hour of the week

do you mean actually 300+ beers a week or like a standard drink equivalent in spirits?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

lol cool. how do you even find time to drink that much, that's nearly 2 drinks an hour every hour of the week

do you mean actually 300+ beers a week or like a standard drink equivalent in spirits?

p. sure they were just slugging down hard liquor

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

p. sure they were just slugging down hard liquor
yeah you'd pretty much have to be but still. i can easily clear a 3oz double of whiskey in 15 minutes without realizing but i can't keep up that kind of clip for an hour, much less 8-11+ hours a day for a week

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i seem to recall from a college psych/drugs class that the ld50 for 40% whiskey is at most a 26oz bottle (i.e. 17.33 drinks) consumed in an hour or less

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah you'd pretty much have to be but still. i can easily clear a 3oz double of whiskey in 15 minutes without realizing but i can't keep up that kind of clip for an hour, much less 8-11+ hours a day for a week

like many things, good alcoholism takes practice

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
think i'm going to celebrate not being an alcoholic... with a beer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm not a heavy drinker because I took the time to look up the medical definition and then used a graduated beaker to ration my alcohol exactly below the threshold . That's how I know I don't have a problem.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Salt Fish posted:

I'm not a heavy drinker because I took the time to look up the medical definition and then used a graduated beaker to ration my alcohol exactly below the threshold . That's how I know I don't have a problem.

i f*cking love science

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

tori said he was 18 beers in yesterday evening, so that's halfway there

but yea it's a real exponential curve thing. what is the statistic? like half of all americans don't drink at all? (losers) and then another 40% drink less than one drink per day on average, and the top 10% drink 70 or more drinks per week?

one of my sister's friends is a rapidly declining alcoholic and she goes through 16-20 bottles of wine a week, apparently. and 20 bottles is still only 160 standard drinks

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

it's come up in cjs or the pics thread before but the threshold of medically significant "unhealthy" drinking is like more than 4 standard drinks per day up to 14 drinks per week. it's not really that hard to dial it down under the threshold, especially if your standard drink measures are relatively generous

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
being a proper alcoholic is sort of a super power I guess. going out with the lads on a reunion trying to relive those big nights when you were 18 except now you're all 35 and by ten pints in the rest of them can't hack it, all staggering, chucking up, and calling for taxis. then there's you, cool as anything, still stone sober, contemptuous of their weakness, asking if anyone has a couch you can crash on cos you've got nowhere else to go

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

tori said he was 18 beers in yesterday evening, so that's halfway there

but yea it's a real exponential curve thing. what is the statistic? like half of all americans don't drink at all? (losers) and then another 40% drink less than one drink per day on average, and the top 10% drink 70 or more drinks per week?

one of my sister's friends is a rapidly declining alcoholic and she goes through 16-20 bottles of wine a week, apparently. and 20 bottles is still only 160 standard drinks

my uncle used to drink 2 24s a day for years until he had to stop (or die). I dont know how you can consume that much liquid, and what about water?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my threshold is about 9 standard drinks an evening, can do it day in day out. any more than that and i start to pay the price too much the day after. also doing the trick where you choose alcohol calories over food calories coz i don't need to hurt my diabetes by gaining weight

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

echinopsis posted:

my threshold is about 9 standard drinks an evening, can do it day in day out. any more than that and i start to pay the price too much the day after. also doing the trick where you choose alcohol calories over food calories coz i don't need to hurt my diabetes by gaining weight

You're a heavy drinker who will face medically significant health complications unless you cut back immediately.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Actually, I'd recommend he continue doing that

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm going to go buy scotch afterwork and plan to enjoy 40 milliliters (+/- 5%) (a safe amount) should I get Laphroaig quarter cask or maybe a balveie sherry cask? I like peaty but I already have Laphraig 10 and some ardbeg 10.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

shoot dope not liquor. for your health

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I'm going to go buy scotch afterwork and plan to enjoy 40 milliliters (+/- 5%) (a safe amount) should I get Laphroaig quarter cask or maybe a balveie sherry cask? I like peaty but I already have Laphraig 10 and some ardbeg 10.
laphroaig quarter cask is nice, but its not that different from the regular old 10 tbh (which is my favorite whisky tho)

try talisker.

lagavulin is good too although im not as much a fan of the sherry notes. don't bother with the 12, head straight for the 16

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

my body does this fun thing where if i drink even a little too much i wake up after sleeping 3-4 hours and cant go back to sleep, spend the next day feeling like poo poo even if not hungover.

i love scotch, wine, beer for the aesthetic experience but really dont enjoy being any more than slightly drunk. i can get pretty drunk every once in a while at a party or w/e but otherwise try to keep it to 3-4 drinks max spread out widely throughout the nite

weed, on the other hand,

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

You're a heavy drinker who will face medically significant health complications unless you cut back immediately.
in fairness I think he was just saying he could easily function at 9/day any given day without losing quality of sleep or experiencing hangover, not that he strives for that each and every day

in response to the line of questioning "how does someone drink so much every day"

but if he does actually live that life yeah you're right it's liver-pickling for sure

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my body does this fun thing where if i drink even a little too much i wake up after sleeping 3-4 hours and cant go back to sleep, spend the next day feeling like poo poo even if not hungover.
ive gotten this from time to time. it's why I measure carefully and count my drinks

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 21, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah my sleep has been poo poo lately

i totally gave up drinking after a disasterous night for about two months and only recently started again

the 9 standard drinks a night situation is something i've done and am capable of but sont want to go back to. it's just the prospect of being sober in the evening is so life drainingly depressing :lol:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

in fairness I think he was just saying he could easily function at 9/day any given day without losing quality of sleep or experiencing hangover, not that he strives for that each and every day

in response to the line of questioning "how does someone drink so much every day"

but if he does actually live that life yeah you're right it's liver-pickling for sure

i was doing it prolly 4 or 5 nights a week? and then maybe a bit more on weekends? i don't really like getting trashed and i never aim for it like when i was younger, but still end up falling into those situations because when i start sribking it's like i have blinders on and just want to drink more and never stop to consider what i'm doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kenny Logins posted:

i don't trust a person who is already mentally impaired to be able to accurately judge their own ability to function when they're mentally impaired.