Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i still have a finger or two of oban 14 left in my bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

oh hey that reminds me i still have ouzo kicking around back there somewhere

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my brother left a bottle of talisker 25 here and i been takin wee drams :yosbutt:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for future reference the correct variation choices are:

laphroiag: quarter cask, younger and more dynamic than the 10, and it goes to straight trash as it gets older
ardbeg: uigeadail, the 10 year old and pretty much every other expression overdoes the smoke by a mile, the uigeadail is far more interesting with a lot of sherry-casked blended in
lagavulin: 16yo, i think the others only exist for the stupidly cheap or stupid rich?

for older single-malts the only value i know of is the tomatin 18/25 yo, which is fantastically affordable, likely because the 10/15 yo is very unpleasant, but the older ones mellow out beautifully

mostly i drink the piss beer though

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

for future reference the correct variation choices are:

laphroiag: quarter cask, younger and more dynamic than the 10, and it goes to straight trash as it gets older
ardbeg: uigeadail, the 10 year old and pretty much every other expression overdoes the smoke by a mile, the uigeadail is far more interesting with a lot of sherry-casked blended in
lagavulin: 16yo, i think the others only exist for the stupidly cheap or stupid rich?

:wrong:

well, partially

laphroaig: 10 is better than quarter cask, although i will admit that the higher alcohol content of the quarter cask makes it more difficult for me to drink unless i add a bit of water (to my eternal shame)
ardbeg: again, 10 is better, because i don't want sherry in my goddamn campfire juice
lagavulin: correct

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I haven't had lagavulin yet, I should fix that

Ardbeg 10 is good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus guys it's like you're enjoying alcohol for the taste rather than as a vector for less self loathing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

jesus guys it's like you're enjoying alcohol for the taste rather than as a vector for less self loathing

get help
You're an alcoholic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there is a significant level of facetiousness in that statement

I enjoy the taste of beer

I also enjoy being appropriately wasted. last night was that :smugmrgw:

hash tag denial

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
being falling-down drunk feels goddamn awful and the day after is worse, i can't imagine how someone gets addicted to that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some people are prone to addiction and others aren't. i don't think the research knows why this is, but it's definitely been shown to be a thing.

my dad tried every drug in the universe and his entire life he described himself as an alcoholic, though he was completely teetotal

my mom would drink one glass of wine or gin and tonic and immediately fall asleep

i got my mom's booze genes, so i have like ten dusty bottles of various rye whiskies, and i drink maybe five ounces of the stuff a month.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 21, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
hey so maybe like this thread should be about what is good to drink and not about super extra oversharing. just saying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
f

Sham bam bamina! posted:

being falling-down drunk feels goddamn awful and the day after is worse, i can't imagine how someone gets addicted to that

that's a gross state to be in

Kenny Logins posted:

hey so maybe like this thread should be about what is good to drink and not about super extra oversharing. just saying

lol mate

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

some people are prone to addiction and others aren't. i don't think the research knows why this is, but it's definitely been shown to be a thing.

my dad tried every drug in the universe and his entire life he described himself as an alcoholic, though he was completely teetotal

my mom would drink one glass of wine or gin and tonic and immediately fall asleep

i got my mom's booze genes, so i have like ten dusty bottles of various rye whiskies, and i drink maybe five ounces of the stuff a month.

imo it all depends on what you associate the drinking with. if you associate drinking with super fun times with friends etc then i reckon you're more likely to become an alcoholic because alcohol is associated with better times. but that's just my opinion and i'm not a psychologist so p.much you can ignore what i just said.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Skim Milk posted:

*cosplaying bonghitz* i like diet coke

e: oh gently caress he already posted it

<3

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

big scary monsters posted:

being a proper alcoholic is sort of a super power I guess. going out with the lads on a reunion trying to relive those big nights when you were 18 except now you're all 35 and by ten pints in the rest of them can't hack it, all staggering, chucking up, and calling for taxis. then there's you, cool as anything, still stone sober, contemptuous of their weakness, asking if anyone has a couch you can crash on cos you've got nowhere else to go

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qhat posted:

imo it all depends on what you associate the drinking with. if you associate drinking with super fun times with friends etc then i reckon you're more likely to become an alcoholic because alcohol is associated with better times. but that's just my opinion and i'm not a psychologist so p.much you can ignore what i just said.

nothing to do with the fact that it hits both opioid and GABA receptors which are both good for causing physical dependence. addiction is a very multi faceted topic and you're a wee bit right about environment, alcohol is certainly addictive on a number of levels but the pure drug dependence it can create is difficult to deal with as far as not drinking

if you block opioid receptors with naltrexone people don't tend to drink anywhere near as much. they spontaneously stop drinking after a couple because it's not enjoyable anymore. can't deny that opioid addictive pathway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pharmacologically it's a quite unique drug. might do a write uo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

pharmacologically it's a quite unique drug. might do a write uo

please do

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

interestingly enough a similar thing was found with spicy foods, I'll try to pull up a link. if you take (beta blockers? I half remember) beforehand, spicy food was found to be unenjoyable in a study, I think endogenous opioids play a role.

environment is interesting and related to tolerance, as well. if you're somewhere new and unfamiliar you'll feel it more than at home

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

what is good to drink: alcohol

lots of it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

in fact, i am going drinking tonight. friday night fuckos

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
been drinking with my latvian friends the traditional drink of their people: cointreau and coke

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

my threshold is about 9 standard drinks an evening, can do it day in day out. any more than that and i start to pay the price too much the day after. also doing the trick where you choose alcohol calories over food calories coz i don't need to hurt my diabetes by gaining weight

you're an alcoholic m8

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

been drinking with my latvian friends the traditional drink of their people: cointreau and coke

lol

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
something happened when i turned 25 and now if i have more than 3 drinks i get a really bad hangover so i don't

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
let's play a drinking game

step 1: drink
step 2: GOTO step 1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

you're an alcoholic m8

nice diagnosis mate

what if i told you i'm not drunk right now #morpehous

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also alcoholic has such negative connotations. maybe i'm trying to bring class and sophistication to the genre

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i like drinking manhattans, they are like martinis, but with whiskey.

plus it's funny to order one and watch other bar patrons slowly copy me, my signature drink spreading through the lounge like a virus :getin:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the ultimate hipster drink is vermouth on the rocks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what's it called when you really want a drink tonight but you don't have one

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the shakes m8

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

you're an alcoholic m8

actually, he's a sexaholic

although perhaps that's just a symptom of a larger propensity for addiction 🤔

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate its connections with others I desire (ideally through boning). getting hosed up helps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poopernickel posted:

the shakes m8

nah its just so dull the prospect of not drinking

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

echinopsis posted:

what's it called when you really want a drink tonight but you don't have one

Drug seeking behaviour

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and its so worthwhile

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

:wrong:

well, partially

laphroaig: 10 is better than quarter cask, although i will admit that the higher alcohol content of the quarter cask makes it more difficult for me to drink unless i add a bit of water (to my eternal shame)
ardbeg: again, 10 is better, because i don't want sherry in my goddamn campfire juice
lagavulin: correct
^this is correct

cask strength whisky SHOULD be diluted to normal strength (~43%) anyway, not shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

^this is correct

cask strength whisky SHOULD be diluted to normal strength (~43%) anyway, not shameful.

should?

lame

as if there is a "proper" way to drink alcohol, and if youre not doing it that way you're doing "it" wrong