Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
:nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan::nolan:

For all of us who've been pining for a war movie not bogged down by all those pesky hu-mans, Christopher Nolan is back with a brand new jam- Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU

Facts about the film:

-A good score on Rotten Tomatoes

-A Hans Zimmer, probably much the same but also different! Lots of tic-tocs replace bwom-bwoms, but no Ke$has to be found in this collection of onscreen earworms!

-It's about Englishmen, but it's in France, what gives?

-Features the acting debut of teen heartthrob Harry Stiles, formerly of Christian boy-band Plus One.

Discuss with your Family:

-Many Germans and English die bravely in the film. What to make of a conflict where it seems both sides could be right?

-Why is swimming without proper supervision a bad idea?

-What is your favorite kind of tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat
That toast with jam in an earlier trailer looked really good.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Tempted to book a ticket for a 70mm IMAX despite the stupid cost by the time I've factored in a train to London.

Despite the strong reviews so far, I have a feeling it's going to struggle to do Interstellar/Inception numbers. TA lot of reviews seem to have some level of reservation about the time -structure and lack of protagonist character development and general hype seems to be low. But perhaps the strong reviews will be matched by word of mouth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Probably gonna be real good spectacle but I wish Nolan would do another "small" film sometime, ever. Following, Memento and Insomnia are his best films.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I, for one, cannot wait to see this PG-13 war film about the deadliest war in human history.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RedSpider posted:

I, for one, cannot wait to see this PG-13 war film about the deadliest war in human history.

As long as they don't show any dicks or boobs or say "gently caress" a lot they can show all the violence they want. The MPAA has always been like this, come on.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm going to see it but as an insufferable armchair general I can't help but be concerned by how the trailers seem to be presenting the whole battle. Like, the best way I can describe it is that it just seems so empty. This was the largest military evacuation of all time with large scale battles on both sea and air. And yet it seems from the trailers that there's 4 planes in the sky, 5 boats in the water, and like a couple hundred men on the beach. The Dunkirk scene in Atonement was far more "epic" than this. Maybe it's because Nolan wanted to use as little CGI as possible but everything seems to be lacking.

But maybe thats just in the trailers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm going to see it but as an insufferable armchair general I can't help but be concerned by how the trailers seem to be presenting the whole battle. Like, the best way I can describe it is that it just seems so empty. This was the largest military evacuation of all time with large scale battles on both sea and air. And yet it seems from the trailers that there's 4 planes in the sky, 5 boats in the water, and like a couple hundred men on the beach. The Dunkirk scene in Atonement was far more "epic" than this. Maybe it's because Nolan wanted to use as little CGI as possible but everything seems to be lacking.

But maybe thats just in the trailers.

From the review or two I read this seemed to be an artistic choice that we very rarely see the enemy of whoever the movie is currently focused on and that the movie instead intercuts its three acts into each other for dramatic weight around the action instead of actually showing a lot of action. That.....could be dramatically outstanding so I'll give it being PG-13 a pass if the editing really does make it more intense.

I am torn on this though, it kind of doesn't interest me enough to want to see it in a theater, but at the same time it's totally the kind of movie you want to see in a theater.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Probably gonna be real good spectacle but I wish Nolan would do another "small" film sometime, ever. Following, Memento and Insomnia are his best films.

Insomnia isn't that good. The Prestige is though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of weird that this movie only goes for 105 minutes when Nolan rarely makes a movie that goes under 2.5 hours and this is a genre that normally screams "3 hour epic". Outside of his debut, only Memento is less than 2 hours and even that is longer than Dunkirk.

RedSpider posted:

I hope it's really effective so I can rebut those idiots that hail Hacksaw Ridge as amazing cause it's a war film that's "not afraid to show it like it really is" and ignore the fact that the movie is unnecessarily revelling in the violence to the detriment of the themes of the film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RedSpider posted:

Every war movie doesn't have to be Saving Private Ryan.

Looten Plunder posted:

I hope it's really effective so I can rebut those idiots that hail Hacksaw Ridge as amazing cause it's a war film that's "not afraid to show it like it really is" and ignore the fact that the movie is unnecessarily revelling in the violence to the detriment of the themes of the film.

Hacksaw Ridge owns though

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I am excited, to watch this movie

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Hacksaw Ridge owns though

I liked it too, but some of the comments I hear from people in support of it are crazy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hacksaw Ridge was entertaining but the gore is just so over-the-top unnecessary, it feels like simple oneupmanship towards Saving Private Ryan.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Early reviews look promising. Might have to head out to King of Prussia to see this in honest-to-God IMAX.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Seeing this tomorrow (there were advanced screenings tonight but missed out) but not at Imax because it is booked out for weeks (also expensive) which is a pity because we have the worlds largest screen here (while Sydney imax has been demolished) and they're showing both 70mm and laser projection sessions.

As for the structure of the movie, it is told in three phases which intercut between eachother showing some of the same events from different angles. I heard it was basically set up as focusing on the war/battle as: 1 week on the ground, 1 day on the sea, 1 hour in the air

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe it's because Nolan wanted to use as little CGI as possible but everything seems to be lacking. But maybe thats just in the trailers.

The movie feels empty for sure, I was really disappointed how the air game played out. There's only three Spitfires total (and one ugly rear end spanish engined Bf109) they had and it shows how lacking the air "battles" are compared to something like 1969 Battle of Britain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where is Dunkrik's wife?

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Brave Great Britain ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it's ugly head,
They bravely turned their tails and fled.

Yes, brave Great Britain turned about
And gallantly they chickened out.
Swiftly taking to their feet,
They beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Great Britain!

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Where is Dunkrik's wife?

:vince:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

BluesShaman posted:

Brave Great Britain ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it's ugly head,
They bravely turned their tails and fled.

Yes, brave Great Britain turned about
And gallantly they chickened out.
Swiftly taking to their feet,
They beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Great Britain!

How can an Island run away?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Tempted to book a ticket for a 70mm IMAX despite the stupid cost by the time I've factored in a train to London.

Despite the strong reviews so far, I have a feeling it's going to struggle to do Interstellar/Inception numbers. TA lot of reviews seem to have some level of reservation about the time -structure and lack of protagonist character development and general hype seems to be low. But perhaps the strong reviews will be matched by word of mouth.

A reviewer on YouTube, Chris Stuckmann, said that the lack of character development is due to the fact that the movie is about the battle and not about the characters in the battle. I am totally OK with this. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Pretty surprised by the super high scores etc. Found myself liking this one less than his previous movies.

Wizgot posted:

And yet it seems from the trailers that there's 4 planes in the sky, 5 boats in the water, and like a couple hundred men on the beach

That's pretty much exactly how it was in the movie.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

That's pretty much exactly how it was in the movie.

Are there even any fights between the allies and the germans in the movie? If not, I don't want to sit around for 2 1/2 hours playing one of Nolan's mind games on the beach.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

RedSpider posted:

Are there even any fights between the allies and the germans in the movie? If not, I don't want to sit around for 2 1/2 hours playing one of Nolan's mind games on the beach.

That would be pretty stupid too since the movie is a brisk 1h41m.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RedSpider posted:

I love this bizarre notion that somehow a war movie's quality is directly proportional to the amount of dismemberment depicted. As though that's the key to perfect immersion. If the movie is just gory enough we as an audience will have a clear idea of what is was like to live through any of these experiences. Utterly vapid and pubescent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't need gore at all. One of my favorite movies of all time, The Longest Day, didn't have an ounce of blood. It didn't need it because it had scale. That movie was, for the lack of a better term, epic. The evacuation of Dunkirk was essentially a reverse D-Day so it concerns me that a movie made in the 60s seems to have presented it much better than this.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Jewmanji posted:

I love this bizarre notion that somehow a war movie's quality is directly proportional to the amount of dismemberment depicted. As though that's the key to perfect immersion. If the movie is just gory enough we as an audience will have a clear idea of what is was like to live through any of these experiences. Utterly vapid and pubescent.

This statement is almost as false as it is ignorant. War is brutal, dehumanizing, and immoral. An R rating allows the film to aesthetically depict the senseless violence of war. If I desired to make a post as bad as yours, I would do it by simply suggesting that Nolan sold out for a PG-13 rating.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RedSpider posted:

This statement is almost as false as it is ignorant. War is brutal, dehumanizing, and immoral. An R rating allows the film to aesthetically depict the senseless violence of war. If I desired to make a post as bad as yours, I would do it by simply suggesting that Nolan sold out for a PG-13 rating.

So then We Were Soldiers is better than The Thin Red Line?

You have this child-like notion that the gorier the film is, the more "realistic" it is, and therefore the more "immersive" it is. As though watching the D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan is the absolute apotheosis of war cinema because you somehow "get it" by seeing people blown to bits. It's facile. You don't understand war because you saw a gorey movie. And a war movie that has no blood in it whatsoever has the exact same capacity to depict countless aspects of war (including the horrors of it) than a movie like Hacksaw Ridge.

Is a scene that explicitly depicts sexual violence more effective at communicating the nightmare of rape than a scene that chooses to depict it in a less literal way?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thin Red Line was gory as gently caress though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It was notably less gory than Saving Private Ryan. When one of the "main" characters gets blown in half, Malick didn't even bother filming the bottom half of his body. Unlike say....Tom Sizemore in Black Hawk Down. What made The Thin Red Line so effective was the looks on people's faces when they're simply standing around surveying their lives. Or the suggestion of violence.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RedSpider posted:

An R rating allows the film to aesthetically depict the senseless violence of war.

That doesn't have to be the point of every war movie though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sometimes you just want to enjoy 2 hours watching Nazis get loving owned and there's nothing wrong with that.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

ukle posted:

How can an Island run away?

It's personification. A literary device.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sometimes you just want to enjoy 2 hours watching Nazis get loving owned and there's nothing wrong with that.

LOL yes, the nazis got owned at Dunkirk. GJ GB

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BluesShaman posted:

LOL yes, the nazis got owned at Dunkirk. GJ GB

I'm talking about as a way to enjoy war movies in general dip poo poo.

And the Nazis did end up getting owned at Dunkirk in the long term.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm talking about as a way to enjoy war movies in general dip poo poo.

And the Nazis did end up getting owned at Dunkirk in the long term.

Ayy

The best way to enjoy a war movie is to belong to the winning side.

Like "Zulu Dawn" the biggest problem with "Dunkirk" is... the protagonists lose.

Dunkirk was pretty much the worst defeat in British military history. Islandlwana was the second worst. Howe's New York campaign is probably the third worst.

I'm just poking fun at literally my nation's greatest ally - THE UNITED KINGDOM.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

movie is dope. Hans Zimmer and whoever did the sound design get the MVP award because this movie sounds loving amazing. The ticking of the clock that is a constant throughout the movie keeps your heart rate up, and every gunshot registers with you. It's also incredibly gorgeous, to the point where I got very, very claustrophobic during some of the water scenes (i do not like water and this movie really kept me on edge).

The acting is all wonderful; there's no real standout but everyone buys into their role and you can really feel their emotions (although a war certainly makes everything heightened). The air scenes were almost a little too sparse, and I'm starting to think that Chris Nolan has a fetish for Tom Hardy covering the lower half of his face, but I think the civilian scenes on the boat are a real highlight. Dunkirk is a movie that really celebrates small acts of heroism during wartime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

well why not posted:

Hacksaw Ridge was entertaining but the gore is just so over-the-top unnecessary, it feels like simple oneupmanship towards Saving Private Ryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

He's a great filmmaker when he isn't drinking.

• Locked thread