Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

So is the pve mode worth buying? I'm not too into BR games, and most of the stuff I see when googling this game is there's still no official launch date/you're buying into an EA title that'll bee F2P sometime this year, and the studio has largely neglected the PvE content (and even canceled other games) to invest in the BR cashcow.

Do the "free x daily boxes" from purchasing mean you get that many things free extras every day you login, or just it pretends you logged in X times before you started?

I'm going to go ahead and say no. If it's still the same as when I last played about 6 months ago, it is a really mediocre game that you will likely burn out on after about 4-6 hours. There's nothing here to really keep you engaged and it's a huge mess of boring crappy systems that do little to improve the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
This game is boring. The rounds just end in people building towers and sniping each other. There's no incentive to winning or any reason to keep playing. I guess that's why it's f2p.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

We Know Catheters posted:

This game is boring. The rounds just end in people building towers and sniping each other. There's no incentive to winning or any reason to keep playing. I guess that's why it's f2p.

We get it, you are old.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

So is the pve mode worth buying? I'm not too into BR games, and most of the stuff I see when googling this game is there's still no official launch date/you're buying into an EA title that'll bee F2P sometime this year, and the studio has largely neglected the PvE content (and even canceled other games) to invest in the BR cashcow.

Do the "free x daily boxes" from purchasing mean you get that many things free extras every day you login, or just it pretends you logged in X times before you started?

I wouldn't buy it yet, I'd wait until a discount tbh. As for the free x daily llamas: you basically have login rewards, but x = the amount of days where you'll have 2 login rewards. And the second is always a llama, worth 100 v-bucks (~1 buck).

If you ever decide to buy it, don't buy the Upgrade Llamas (the same as you get from the daily). They're by far the least value.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I like the pve. Is a unique take on building and fight. Surelly the game have problems, like game breaking bugs that are ignored for months or a first half of the game that is too loong. When you get to the good stuff is great.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like the PvE a lot. It's a fairly simple system that lets you come up with creative solutions to the waves of husks at the end of the levels (there's some different missions types that aren't all the same but this is the setup for the a lot of them). You also get a lot of fun weapons to use and that lets you shoot stuff as one of the solutions besides base and trap building. Also, being able to go crazy on your storm shield base and build grandiose static bases with traps and stuff can be fun.

The main downsides of it for me is that it's grindy and they're slow in working on its development beyond themed events. The grind is nowhere near as bad as an MMO, though, and since the high end of the game isn't even complete, I've come to just play the game for fun instead of pushing to be the highest level or whatever. I enjoy trying out different heroes and weapons and building different bases and stuff. It's pretty laid back since it's definitely about the journey not the destination at this point. I think it helps that you never really feel underpowered as long as you keep up with your upgrades. I've never failed a mission that wasn't because of a bad teammate but even those have been two or three out of 493 zones according to https://www.stormshield.one/pve/stats/Rexxed and I really don't tolerate the kind of assholes you put up with in MOBAs. Most people are pretty chill because it's a cooperative game. I've only seen people get mad about stuff a handful of times and usually it doesn't stop the mission from succeeding.

Due to the lack of content for the high end, I think I'd stop playing if I didn't have some short term goals of working up different weapons and heroes. I enjoy the missions and like trying different things. The lack of a long term goal because they haven't finished Canny Valley or Twine Peaks is the definitely a major detractor for me. I've been playing since October and I figured by the time I got to Canny Valley there'd be content there, especially because I didn't try to rush through anything quickly. I ended up buying the founder's packs because I like the game a lot and I'm kind of sad that they're not focusing on the PvE side. They've added a lot of good quality of life fixes but the main quest line not being there is kind of lovely.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Not really, but :shrug:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's a great game at its core but it has some quite frankly worrying bugs plus gameplay and progression balancing issues.

There is not enough experience of any type to go around, you have absolutely necessary perks for guns that are rare as hell, only legendary guns are worth using, melee sucks unless you have like 3 ninjas and use them all at once, and only like 10 heroes are good enough (at epic or legendary level) to use on the 3rd zone.

It is ridiculously fun to build stuff and shoot the poo poo with your friends. It's just a stupid amount of fun. But it fuckin suuuuuuucks when you just have a schematic or hero you want to use and you have no experience for it because it'll take you hours to get what you need. Hours. You could grind for an entire Saturday for one gun and hero.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 20, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I like the PvE a lot. It's a fairly simple system that lets you come up with creative solutions to the waves of husks at the end of the levels (there's some different missions types that aren't all the same but this is the setup for the a lot of them). You also get a lot of fun weapons to use and that lets you shoot stuff as one of the solutions besides base and trap building. Also, being able to go crazy on your storm shield base and build grandiose static bases with traps and stuff can be fun.

The main downsides of it for me is that it's grindy and they're slow in working on its development beyond themed events. The grind is nowhere near as bad as an MMO, though, and since the high end of the game isn't even complete, I've come to just play the game for fun instead of pushing to be the highest level or whatever. I enjoy trying out different heroes and weapons and building different bases and stuff. It's pretty laid back since it's definitely about the journey not the destination at this point. I think it helps that you never really feel underpowered as long as you keep up with your upgrades. I've never failed a mission that wasn't because of a bad teammate but even those have been two or three out of 493 zones according to https://www.stormshield.one/pve/stats/Rexxed and I really don't tolerate the kind of assholes you put up with in MOBAs. Most people are pretty chill because it's a cooperative game. I've only seen people get mad about stuff a handful of times and usually it doesn't stop the mission from succeeding.

Due to the lack of content for the high end, I think I'd stop playing if I didn't have some short term goals of working up different weapons and heroes. I enjoy the missions and like trying different things. The lack of a long term goal because they haven't finished Canny Valley or Twine Peaks is the definitely a major detractor for me. I've been playing since October and I figured by the time I got to Canny Valley there'd be content there, especially because I didn't try to rush through anything quickly. I ended up buying the founder's packs because I like the game a lot and I'm kind of sad that they're not focusing on the PvE side. They've added a lot of good quality of life fixes but the main quest line not being there is kind of lovely.

It's a great game, I just don't really want to recommend buying it outside of a sale at this point. I agree with most of your points (except I'm done with the main quest line, except for TP SSD 7-10).

The author of stormshield.one is working on some behind the scenes stuff by the way:

https://www.stormshield.one/pve/stats/seditiar/sch He's working on more stuff, like all the quests you've completed and their date (in correct order!), I just can't remember the thing you're supposed to add to the URL at this moment.
http://www.stormshield.one/pve/stats/seditiar/quests e: got it.
http://www.stormshield.one/pve/stats/seditiar/exp <---- a way to check your expeditions outside of the game, very handy if you often use it.

There's no link to it, you just have to add "/sch" at the end of the URL of any person you'd like to check. Also a handy anti-scam measure in case you trade often. Then you can make sure he at least has the schematic.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 20, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

For colorblind people:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/7ysitn/epic_please_support_your_color_blind_players/dujhgnc/?context=1

quote:

The first iteration for colorblind settings is coming in the next update, as well as updates to the rarity colors on item pickups.

E: This is posted on the BR Reddit, but I'm sure PvE will get it as well. Maybe a bit later though, no clue.

chopstixdiva
Apr 18, 2013
Was anyone having issues with sound and weird visual glitches? Was playing PVP last night and had no in game sounds, chests being opened but not showing as opened, and a weird spinning when dropping from the bus. Odd.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

chopstixdiva posted:

Was anyone having issues with sound and weird visual glitches? Was playing PVP last night and had no in game sounds, chests being opened but not showing as opened, and a weird spinning when dropping from the bus. Odd.

Buggy game is buggy

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is the Piston Spitter worth upgrading? I have it to level 20 but it seems underwhelming

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is the Piston Spitter worth upgrading? I have it to level 20 but it seems underwhelming

I have fairly limited knowledge of pistols, but from what I know, pistols are pretty bad no matter what. Unless you're running the Ranger Outlander, in which case some pistols are great, but this isn't one of them afaik.

Bolt bolt is great, extremely powerful in fact. Monsoon is basically an anti-smasher pistol.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 21, 2018

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Electrical Fire posted:

The bug where looted chests appear unlooted from a distance is back after being gone for like 10 patches. They're really struggling with that one.

huh, i always figured that was intentional

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Seditiar posted:

I have fairly limited knowledge of pistols, but from what I know, pistols are pretty bad no matter what. Unless you're running the Ranger Outlander, in which case some pistols are great, but this isn't one of them afaik.

Bolt bolt is great, extremely powerful in fact. Monsoon is basically an anti-smasher pistol.

It sucks and I just melted it. It was a lot of fun single target but ultimately had no niche in my arsenal.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

PvE is.. Ok. I haven't really played it since halloween but I still log in for the daily rewards whenever I play Battle Royale. Mostly because you get anywhere from 150-800 vbucks at the end of the week, so by this point the vBucks they've given me have surpassed the money I spent on the game originally. It's not enough to buy everything, but it is enough to buy a skin or a dance from time to time.

Edit: What people are saying about experience is completely correct. You will NEVER have enough and earning more is always a bitch. There's like half a dozen or more different currencies under the hood; survivor XP, schematic XP, Hero XP, vBucks, Event Tickets, Seasonal Gold, Drops of Rain, Weapon Manuals, Trap Manuals, Survivor Manuals, ect. It's a never ending grind and by the time you get to the 3rd zone you've either invested all your XP into the correct hero and guns, or you're hosed because it's gonna take you a long rear end time to grind out enough to level up a better hero/guns. Of course, you can scrap your favorite hero and guns to regain a large fraction of the XP you've dumped into them, but if the stuff you need is a higher tier than that XP you get back is going to be a fraction of what you need to level your preferred stuff up to where it's on par with what you had before.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 21, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol, git gud scrub.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Fortnite - Save the World (PvE) is 50% off currently. I'd definitely recommend picking it up while it's discounted. If anything you'll earn $20 worth of Vbucks pretty quickly.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Seditiar posted:

Fortnite - Save the World (PvE) is 50% off currently. I'd definitely recommend picking it up while it's discounted. If anything you'll earn $20 worth of Vbucks pretty quickly.

Cool, does this also apply to in-game package upgrades?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Seditiar posted:

Can I earn that much in vBucks without actually playing the game? i.e. just daily login bonuses etc? I basically spend all the time I can play games playing the BR and don't really want to split that time up just for vBucks.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

If you don't play save the world at all you'll get like 100-500 vbucks a week depending on how many days in you are. Usually closer to 100. If you actually play the game you can get 50 per day from daily quests and a whole bunch from story and event quests.

So it'll take a while if you don't play pve at all but you'll eventually get more than 20bux of vbucks from logging in daily.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Super Rad posted:

Can I earn that much in vBucks without actually playing the game? i.e. just daily login bonuses etc? I basically spend all the time I can play games playing the BR and don't really want to split that time up just for vBucks.

You get 150 a week (although as said above, this might be 100 at early days), purely by switching game mode to PvE, collect and go back to BR (30 sec tops). Once a month you'll get 300 instead of 150, and every 112 days you'll get 800 instead of 150. :v: And no, that's not a random number of days. You'll be well ahead within half a year, that's pretty long term stuff though if you absolutely don't play PvE at all. If you play it you'll easily get it back within 1-2 months.

poor life choice posted:

Cool, does this also apply to in-game package upgrades?

Yes. Just not the Ultimate Pack, the one that's hidden on the website, and hidden in-game as well until you buy the Limited Edition. It costs $100.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 21, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Important/good PvE changes with 3.0:

Hoverboard, basically a mount.
10-20% faster building mats collection.
Difficulty pylon removed from Encampment maps.
All classes run at Soldier base speed now.
Ninjas get +10% movement speed from their girst perk (in addition to -10% fall damage).
Able to build through big objects now. They won't get destroyed, so you still have to respect their collision while walking on your building.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Maybe one day sprinting won't cost energy!

Hell, meet us in the middle and just make sprinting pause regen. :negative:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

Maybe one day sprinting won't cost energy!

Hell, meet us in the middle and just make sprinting pause regen. :negative:

Eh, my biggest gripe was sprinting costing stamina out of combat. I think it's fine to lose stamina while sprinting in combat.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh my god, last Season 3 Battle Pass is John Wick skin.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So did they actually slow Ninjas down? Sara runs much faster than Soldiers

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh my god, last Season 3 Battle Pass is John Wick skin.

:-O

they are going to make all the gazillion dollars

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tei posted:

:-O

they are going to make all the gazillion dollars

They even have pickaxe with a pencil to match.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So did they actually slow Ninjas down? Sara runs much faster than Soldiers

It's only the base speed that's normalized. Iirc the 10% movement perk that every ninja got will more than make up for it, doesn't it?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Seditiar posted:

It's only the base speed that's normalized. Iirc the 10% movement perk that every ninja got will more than make up for it, doesn't it?

I don't think so because Sara runs circles around my Jonesy. I could be wrong.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't think so because Sara runs circles around my Jonesy. I could be wrong.

Oh but certain ninjas have extra movement perks. Outlanders will zoom around your Jonesy as well if they have their In The Zone buff. It's nice to run faster in combat but it's not really needed as Soldier anyway. And Hoverboard is amazing, and amazingly fast.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

New update made everything way prettier!

I got my first crossbow kill too, just taking a potshot at someone fighting in like a 4 person battle, bahaha. I bought the Season 3 pass for hella more challenges, and it's def worth it. I mean if nothing else I get to be in a space suit!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The game is veautiful now.

if you dont play pve

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

PvE performance is improved.

The hoverboard made it fun to actually play the game again.

XP being watered down by 50% because they give you a loving rotating gizmo as part of the mission loot pool needs to end though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The John Wick looking skin made this game 1000% more fun to watch top tier streamers shred it up in BR.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Do you have to look at the treasure map before completing the challenge for the Dusty Depot challenge in week 1? I found the spot and picked up the battle star thing, but the challenge wasn't marked complete?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Do you have to look at the treasure map before completing the challenge for the Dusty Depot challenge in week 1? I found the spot and picked up the battle star thing, but the challenge wasn't marked complete?

It should, you don't have to look at map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I did not have to look at the map to complete the challenge but if yours isn't marked for completion maybe give the whole process a try just in case Epic patched it. I got mine the same day the pass came out and I know some minor fixes have come through in the background since.

• Locked thread