Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RCarr posted:

Is there a thread for us console turds, or is it cool to post in here?

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Next patch we are getting some compensation for the gently caress up from last patch.

5 or 6 stars for battle royale rank and 1600 seasonal gold for save the world.

Not too shabby for save the world. Gets you one of the big event items.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

teagone posted:

I've bound vertical wall to M3, ramp to M4, and floor to C. The moment I take fire or am initiating a firefight, I'll either build a quick 4 walls, floor, and ramp or build ramps up to get high ground advantage. That's basically the bread and butter of engaging in BR.

If you want to see like, what the extent of being a good builder does for you in this game, watch these streamers who are arguably two of the best builders in the game 1v1 each other in solos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBWB_a9GKU

NinjasHyper, another popular FortniteBR streamer, can build just as fast as those guys, but I'd say he's better than both of them mechanically, but the above video is a good example of what high level building IQ looks like.

Goddamn that video is NUTS

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Next patch we are getting some compensation for the gently caress up from last patch.

5 or 6 stars for battle royale rank and 1600 seasonal gold for save the world.

Not too shabby for save the world. Gets you one of the big event items.

I heard 20 stars for BR.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How about they just give us 50% more schematic XP for that horrible loving grind?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

teagone posted:

I've bound vertical wall to M3, ramp to M4, and floor to C. The moment I take fire or am initiating a firefight, I'll either build a quick 4 walls, floor, and ramp or build ramps up to get high ground advantage. That's basically the bread and butter of engaging in BR.

If you want to see like, what the extent of being a good builder does for you in this game, watch these streamers who are arguably two of the best builders in the game 1v1 each other in solos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBWB_a9GKU

NinjasHyper, another popular FortniteBR streamer, can build just as fast as those guys, but I'd say he's better than both of them mechanically, but the above video is a good example of what high level building IQ looks like.

That video is awesome.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Every time I've been interested in playing this game there's an update and by the time it's done I'm not interested in playing anymore.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

We Know Catheters posted:

Every time I've been interested in playing this game there's an update and by the time it's done I'm not interested in playing anymore.

They are gaining so many players each day that they have to cope with the crazy grown with making changes in the game to make it less taxing on the servers. Plus the development of the base game took very long and thats a sign of development hell, so probably is a large and complicate codebase where is easy to introduce new bugs.

Both games (PvE and PvP) are worth your time to check, so if you don't play them because bad timing in a patch, is your loss.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I really want to like this game. The concept is great, but the shooting mechanics are so terrible.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I have Save the World questions.
  • if you are going to retire a hero for xp/training manuals/[whatever else you get for retiring higher rarity heroes], should you just retire them as-is or pump them with xp and evolve them?
  • I think I read that survivors are the main source of training manuals and, maybe, xp. Should I just retire, collection book or scrap anything below a certain rarity once I get out of stonewood?
  • Is it worth it to upgrade the rarity of survivors, or should I just hope to luck into epic/legendary ones?
  • I suddenly have 1600 seasonal gold. Any must-buy items in the store right now? I see a stormchaser's revenge schematic, and one shot schematic - not sure if these are randomized or fixed for everyone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

poor life choice posted:

• if you are going to retire a hero for xp/training manuals/[whatever else you get for retiring higher rarity heroes], should you just retire them as-is or pump them with xp and evolve them?
  • I think I read that survivors are the main source of training manuals and, maybe, xp. Should I just retire, collection book or scrap anything below a certain rarity once I get out of stonewood?
  • Is it worth it to upgrade the rarity of survivors, or should I just hope to luck into epic/legendary ones?
  • I suddenly have 1600 seasonal gold. Any must-buy items in the store right now? I see a stormchaser's revenge schematic, and one shot schematic - not sure if these are randomized or fixed for everyone.

Typically I retire all green and white items after I have one in the collection book.

The Hydra schematic is a good bye. The gun is pretty good.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

poor life choice posted:

1) Just retire them. If you pump them with XP you only get about 90% of the XP back - this is based on rarity, too. The rare dudes give back more.
That being said: If you want to -use- them, pump them up! Then when you are done using them (get something better) you can retire them without too big a loss. This is especially true of survivors if you need to fill your survivor squads. Survivor squads are crucial for your overall stats.
2) Survivors do give training manuals, but XP is split into different categories. There is a separate XP for Survivors, Heroes and Schematics. Defenders share XP with Heroes - Defenders are also mostly worthless, so it is usually safe to mulch them up for Hero XP.
3) It is worth upgrading the rarity of your Lead Survivors more so than the generic dudes. That said, if you are not getting any replacements and you have the suvivor XP/Material to spare, you can ugprade them too. Just remember you only get refunded XP, not evolution mats when retiring.
4) I don't know about the schematics if they are randomized - if not it might be worth checking Reddit's page on this game, they're bound to have details on each piece of equipment. One that you can never go wrong with though is more armory slots. So far as the guns go, One Shot is a very generic sniper rifle - snipers in general suffer from falling victim to a 'need to do constant headshots at full fire rate to keep up on DPS' issue. They are balanced around non stop headshot output, so literally any automatic weapon will outdamage them unless you are a laser aimbot. That said they are nice for picking off some of the more annoying enemies at a distance, but the game favours crowds of lovely zombies that snipers struggle against.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 3, 2018

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

poor life choice posted:

Best way to get manuals: unlock the permanent rare transform survivor key. Once you have more than enough manuals (I'd say 100 training manuals is more than enough, you can always create more later on), start creating grey survivors with that rare survivor key. Survivor experience is by far the bottleneck a bit later into the game. Like, I'm not even kidding here, I think I could instantly dump 5 million survivor exp without having to evolve a single survivor.

I'd throw any grey/green in the collection book, if they're already in there, save them if possible. Or just create grey survivors straight away.

Cannot upgrade rarity of anything yet, except heroes. I wouldn't bother evolving rare or lower survivors. Epic is a bit iffy, I wouldn't evolve them past 2* anytime soon. I do have a few epic survivors at 4* though, if your legendary survivors are becoming too expensive, you can upgrade epic ones. That's more of a Canny Valley and beyond thing, though.

Quest weapons and all heroes have fixed perks, the Hydra has fixed perks, a few event weapons here and there as well. But generally all weapons have random perks. And One-Shot is pretty terrible, sadly. Shredder Sniper Rifle is the only worthwhile sniper rifle, imo.

As for spending gold, if at all possible, buy Pure Drops of Rain, always deplete those unless specifically hunting something that's about to expire. Lightning in a Bottle becomes a pain in the rear end as well very quickly, just like Eyes of the Storm. Former is Plankerton, latter is Canny Valley, so I wouldn't bother buying Eyes of the Storm just yet.

What heroes are you using/planning on using?

Edit: To my knowledge, only the Gravedigger (fire element AR) and Hydra (energy element AR) have fixed perks. Other than Founder weapons, of course.
Edit2: The upcoming Valentine's event will bring a crossbow, it's fairly safe to assume that one will have fixed perks as well.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 3, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Hydra is a great gun that has a lackluster shooting sound which makes it seem much weaker than it is (it's really strong). Unless you get a super shredder or a Tigerjaw with a good roll you're going to want it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Thanks for the noob advice, all.

everyone posted:

buy the Hydra
The store is selling a "Hydra transform key" but it looks like it's consume on use. Are they saying I'm only able to make one Hydra, or that the items thrown into the transformation are consumed? Doesn't seem worth it if the former, I'm still very early game.

Seditiar posted:

I'd throw any grey/green in the collection book, if they're already in there, save them if possible. Or just create grey survivors straight away.

Mr Hootington posted:

Typically I retire all green and white items after I have one in the collection book.

DarkDobe posted:

3) It is worth upgrading the rarity of your Lead Survivors more so than the generic dudes. That said, if you are not getting any replacements and you have the suvivor XP/Material to spare, you can ugprade them too. Just remember you only get refunded XP, not evolution mats when retiring.
So I'm hearing grey/green level stuff is collector book, and then dump spare everything into creating grey survivors, then retiring the grey survivors to further level my (lead, then regular) survivors?

Seditiar posted:

As for spending gold, if at all possible, buy Pure Drops of Rain, always deplete those unless specifically hunting something that's about to expire. Lightning in a Bottle becomes a pain in the rear end as well very quickly, just like Eyes of the Storm. Former is Plankerton, latter is Canny Valley, so I wouldn't bother buying Eyes of the Storm just yet.

What heroes are you using/planning on using?
I really enjoy constructors. I have the following, and again I'm still in Stonewood:
  • LEGENDARY: BASE Hype, Tank Penny
  • EPIC: BASE Kyle, Pathfinder Jess, Ranger Deadeye, Trailblaster Buzz, Urban Assault Headhunter
  • RARE: a lot of stuff, plus Hotfixer Hazard, Power BASE Knox
Final misc questions: what outlander is best just for general farming of stuff? Seems like Pathfinders. What's the point of the floor launcher? The wall launcher seems great for shoving mobs off ledges. The seasonal event store is selling legendary floor launcher schematics...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

poor life choice posted:

The store is selling a "Hydra transform key" but it looks like it's consume on use. Are they saying I'm only able to make one Hydra, or that the items thrown into the transformation are consumed? Doesn't seem worth it if the former, I'm still very early game.

So I'm hearing grey/green level stuff is collector book, and then dump spare everything into creating grey survivors, then retiring the grey survivors to further level my (lead, then regular) survivors?

I really enjoy constructors. I have the following, and again I'm still in Stonewood:
  • EPIC: BASE Kyle, Pathfinder Jess, Ranger Deadeye, Trailblaster Buzz, Urban Assault Headhunter
Final misc questions: what outlander is best just for general farming of stuff? Seems like Pathfinders. What's the point of the floor launcher? The wall launcher seems great for shoving mobs off ledges. The seasonal event store is selling legendary floor launcher schematics...

Okay you lucky bastard, Urban Assault is all you need for soldier and Pathfinder Jess is all you need for outlander. Get them to level 20 stat.

If you can afford epic upgrade flux or whatever it's called and get Power base Knox up to Epic and he's all you need for constructor.

The Hydra transform key makes a Hydra schematic that you can use a million times. Get it right now. The schematics you feed into it to make the Hydra schematic are destroyed. It doesn't matter if you can't afford to make it now, get it for down the road.

Then for Ninja make sure to grab a Dragon ninja or (some people say) Dim Mak.

I dunno if Shuriken ninja is good anymore.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 3, 2018

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Awesome, thanks! Is there any reason to keep a second copy of a character, or is it safe to collect/retire any duplicates?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

poor life choice posted:

Awesome, thanks! Is there any reason to keep a second copy of a character, or is it safe to collect/retire any duplicates?

The only reason is if you want to make another epic hero with a really fuckin' good buff.

Like if I had unlimited hero XP I would make another level 30 Epic Bloodfinder AC and add the 24% pickaxe buff to my Legendary Bloodfinder.

That might be a little overkill but drat I would love to have more headshot damage on my Urban Assault.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can you guys give me some tips on building. I keep running across people who poo poo out fortresses in 30 seconds while I can barely pick what kind of wall I will build in that time. Is there a recommended key binding? Currently everything is default on my end.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

poor life choice posted:

Work on the Powerbase Knox. He is the best constuctor

I run Knox with tank penny and skirmisher.

Floor launcher is like a stun. I've wanted to see if you can set one up and have a wall launcher above it and if they toss husks farther.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

keyframe posted:

Can you guys give me some tips on building. I keep running across people who poo poo out fortresses in 30 seconds while I can barely pick what kind of wall I will build in that time. Is there a recommended key binding? Currently everything is default on my end.

Use side mouse buttons if you have them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think launchers are one or the other. Either up or to the side. The good news is that you can angle a roof over them and it will toss them over something.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

poor life choice posted:

Urban Assault Headhunter is considered by far the best damage dealer. If you like the Soldier's playstyle, I definitely recommend that being your first hero to upgrade to Legendary with Flux. As for Floor Launchers: they're insanely strong. Better than Wall Launchers in a lot of cases.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is it worth the legendary flux to upgrade an epic?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

keyframe posted:

I use z/x/c for wall/floor/stairs, just focus on making GBS threads stairs everywhere when you're starting, and when you get to late game practice spinning and jumping to build a fast 1x1 fort to camp in.

Hard part for me is really fast stair editing, like where good players like edit and jump and the stairs do a 180 so they can peek a different way.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

200 day login reward:

:negative: Why is it so poo poo.

Fake edit:

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can't use it on anything else so far, if you're planning on using that hero (and/or have been using that hero for a while now), I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The bugs on the console version can make this game very frustrating to play sometimes, but goddamn if me and my buddy summarily executing a downed enemy with our twin legendary mini guns wasn’t a top tier moment.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yes

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gold in high level flow like a river, so much that making 2000 in a single season is not hard. Getting a good character to higuer rarity makes a lot of sense that way. If anything, you have to pick carefully what one to raise since only so much flux is for sale every week.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

Gold in high level flow like a river, so much that making 2000 in a single season is not hard. Getting a good character to higuer rarity makes a lot of sense that way. If anything, you have to pick carefully what one to raise since only so much flux is for sale every week.

Yeah, I feel bad for the people who missed out on the 50 flux from the event store.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I was focused on making epics out of rares with dim mak and powerbase Knox dammit.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So if I have Powerbase Knox I shouldn't bother with Base Hype Penny, correct? Tank Penny either?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So if I have Powerbase Knox I shouldn't bother with Base Hype Penny, correct? Tank Penny either?

Tank penny has a nice boost of 15% melee reflection while shields are up.

Got my first solo victory tonight. Pumped!

On a lovely note. Played with a young kid in squads and he said I was the nicest person to play with him because I didn't swear at him or put him down. :smith: loving people who play games are poo poo.

chopstixdiva
Apr 18, 2013
Looking to play with a squad - vivaladuck on PS4

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Tank penny has a nice boost of 15% melee reflection while shields are up.

Got my first solo victory tonight. Pumped!

On a lovely note. Played with a young kid in squads and he said I was the nicest person to play with him because I didn't swear at him or put him down. :smith: loving people who play games are poo poo.

Yeah it's getting really bad. Epic is looking to change settings for global chat (read: able to hide it), I'm sure they'll do VoIP as well at some point.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
New shooting model is really good but the 3 burst is way to good in it.

chopstixdiva posted:

Looking to play with a squad - vivaladuck on PS4

Xbox traitor!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Oh also base Kyle/base hype penny aren't noticeably better than Hotfixer Hazard/Powerbase right?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Do you get anything you can use in battle royale mode if you buy the PVE editions?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

keyframe posted:

Do you get anything you can use in battle royale mode if you buy the PVE editions?

If you play it you will get a bunch of V-Bucks.

Oh and maybe.. I think the Founders skins for the glider and umbrella may be related to owning the PvE. Not super sure. They aren't great.

In other news, there must be a lot of new players recently, because I have been getting wins! Also, plenty of kills against people who are trying to have a shootout with a minigun. And I have been killed a few times trying to use the Crossbow today so it all balances out.

Neon Knight fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Is it just me or is the latest adjustment to storm speed/damage loving brutal? Dropping into the outskirts is just hosed now. Today I used 15 bandages in the second shrink, made it with 7hp, and it immediately started shrinking again.

• Locked thread