Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
The event ends tomorrow morning, so better hurry up if you wanna farm tix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I got a legendary lead engineer from doing 7 40+ survive the storms, which is one of the ones I needed. That was a thing.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

They're on opposite sides and look very different.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you get a good legendary weapon I'd mostly just use that once you're past early plankerton since there's a storm chest on basically every map and that's always at least one energy cell per map. Epics cost 3 rotating gizmos, which is oddly a bit harder to get every map.

Also search fireplaces in houses for coal. And then smash them if you feel like it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It doesn't really matter. I still murder everything with the 1* grey rifle you can't recycle even leaving it at level 1. Anyone that is a couple quest pages into Plankerton should be fine using it or whatever random stuff at least in the first two horde maps since they'll be at the stat cap for the map (which is 160 for the first map at least). Just pull out a ninja with dragon blade, or a soldier with grenades and commando or shockwave and you're basically good to go.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'm enjoying it so far. The round you just get 5 billion takers are annoying (but also kind of funny sometimes), but this is made up for by the rounds where you get 5 billion exploders.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Coffee cans and ammo boxes are the chump way to get ammo/nuts and bolts. Just break every small and medium transformer (2-4ish plus mech parts, takes 2 hits), switchbox (2-4ish plus mech parts, takes 2 hits) parking meter (1-3ish, but break in one hit) you see, and use all of the chain spools (5-10ish) and metal bar piles (5-20ish plus some mech parts depending on size) you see in industrial parks. The big transformers, heavy machinery, and antennas of various sizes are a bit better than cars too I think, and give you regular metal more like cars. You can get several stacks of nuts/bolts per industrial park map without touching cars if no one else takes them. You'll be swimming in them if you prioritize correctly.

Computers are also pretty good if you get in one of the bunkers where there's a lot of them, plus they're good mechanical parts you need for guns, but those tend to be a bit more out of the way.

I got about 65 nuts/bolts in the 5ish minutes it took me to make these graphics.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 6, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I find encampments and anomalies take too long for the payout unless you're desperate or it's a non-large encampment and you have airstrike up. Sometimes survivors will give you a bunch of nuts and bolts too, but you can't see the reward type beforehand unlike anomalies and encampments.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 6, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also, sometimes the red toolboxes have rotating gizmos or active powercells that you need for rare or higher weapons. Often enough that I'll usually open them as I walk by and then break them for mechanical parts.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Seditiar posted:

A Huge and Awesome patch is incoming tomorrow . BR balance stuff, performance improvements for both BR and PvE.

And most importantly, Horde Bash tweaked into something good and to top it off: big buffs to player power scaling (in our favour).

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/1-7-1-patch-notes
Oh good. I was tired of dying so much in Canny.

Also the horde bash fragment change is good. I tried an outlander in that once and holy poo poo it was terrible. More terrible than outlanders usually are.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 12, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Shotguns have the problem of not having as many bonuses to stack as pistols or assault rifles, while not being able to do long ranged combat better like the snipers. Unless you got the raider from the horde bash event anyway. And even then special forces or urban assault will probably serve you better.

Also since it keeps coming up, if anyone is really hard up for N&B I'll trade you my 2: your 1 for herbs or 3:1 for bacon.

Also leveling traps is good. Just level the right traps.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Use decoy to ball things up for rockets/grenades or to pull smashers off of walls and stuff. There's better choices though. In any case, it's not going to matter a bunch until you get to mid/late plankerton.

If you haven't seen this yet it's a pretty good reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1iWt-LgADVmRdQnS9OomDFqjqXQT7wyyPA1unctnaPHM/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

Anything labeled 4 or higher is ok to good to invest xp in if it's purple or orange if you don't have a top tier hero. Otherwise, it's probably best find a dragon ninja or blue rarity soldier with grenades at level 10 or lower to retire later to get the xp back. Bonus points if the soldier has both goin' commando and grenades.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

TheBlandName posted:

To add to this, headshot multiplier is uniquely defined for every weapon. But the numbers have all been chosen so that similar* weapons firing at full speed with 100% headshot rates will have equal DPS up until the weapon needs to reload. So, uh, to bottom line it a higher headshot multiplier is a bad thing. Aaand weapons that need to reload frequently are a bad thing.
Source for math? Everything seems to melt vs my deathstalker (surgical triple shot rifle) way more than most other guns I've tried, and it has 100% headshot.

It's also easier to headshot forever and at most combat distances while scoped since that always makes the cone of fire really small seemingly regardless of how much it's fired. So maybe that's it. Non scopes seem to bloom more in my experience. Scoped weapons have higher headshot. Considering my two winningest strategies are either kill everything while it's far away from the base, or just focus on anything not a regular or a jumper and letting gas traps handle those so I can neutralize the real threats, being able to reliably hit for fullish damage (not into the serious reduction from range) at almost max spitter distance is very useful.

And medium bullets don't matter too much when you can 1 shot huskies, 3 shot the laserfaces, and 1 center mass spitters with decent team bonuses, which is working fine so far into canny. Assuming ammo would even be a problem anyway. I can craft about 40k medium bullets right at the moment, but I don't need to very often anyway.

I don't doubt that weapons with low headshot are often better up close when not headshotting reliably, but you can also use the surgical rifle scope ridiculously close. Bolt sniper is a bit harder to do that with, but it also more obviously falls behind unless you're lancing rows of husks with each shot to multiply the damage.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 5, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Yeah, I wouldn't coat a long wall with deadly traps. Kill porch design is my first goto, or failing that it's usually launchers everywhere/ let the pubs waste all their stuff on a horribly inefficient design. No way am I spending 20x what is required because the team won't funnel properly.

Also really fun is knocking smashers into pits with launchers. Quickest smasher kills possible with traps I'm pretty sure.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 5, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Here's basic killporch style A:

Style B (I opened up a wall so you can see the shield relay being protected):

The important minimums are this:
1) the thinnest line of walls to attack must be at the kill porch. In these, it is one full metal wall in every case.
2) Gas trap on the kill porch ceiling.
3) Floor walls plus a wall of strength equivalent to the narrowest layer of walls blocking the non-porch areas.
4) Half walls to the sides of the kill porch to give more area for husks to attack so they don't go for the floor walls. If there's already 3-5 husks at the wall launcher spot, they'll overflow to the sides and avoid the gas trap if you don't have more wall for them to hit. As a bonus, they seems to extra hate half walls over short walls or floor walls for some reason and so will be even more prone to go to and stay in the gas trap area.
5) This covers about a 4 square distance on either side. Any longer than that and they tend to not path to the porch, so you'll need an extra porch. As well, I'd generally suggest a porch on opposite sides of an objective, so minimum recommended coverage for most objectives is 2 porches. The main exception is if there's a ramp layout that puts them incoming on only non-opposite sides.

Bells and whistles:
1) You can use spiral staircases pointed away from the building like in A to let you get on top of the building, but not husks. This way it doesn't shorten their path to use the stairs, and you don't need to spend on a vertical launcher.
2) Using floors (including floor walls) lets you jump over the half walls or the midlevel of a full spiral staircase at the porch reliably if you need to. Floor walls also seem to be a bit lower aggro priority than short walls.
3) You can line the walls behind floor walls with launchers just in case an accident happens.
4) You can layer short walls over the full walls and sploders won't blow them up as easily if you miss one.
5) Spike floor slows husks and gives more time for the wall launcher to activate and/or reload, which lowers repairs on hard maps.
6) If you want to crisp huskies better, you can add electric traps to the half walls, but I never bother wasting N&B on that. With the wall launcher they don't usually get to hit the inside wall too often, and the gas trap kills them in a round or two of launches if I don't.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

My Deathstalker does have good rolls (see below), but it was mowing stuff even before I really got those rolling. It definitely chews through stuff faster than an equal level Hydra at anything not in near-melee range since the hydra still blooms quite a bit, has noticeably more damage dropoff from range, and has a good bit more recoil. It's also probably worth noting that the 4.8 shots/s fire rate on the deathstalker is burst total. You can actually only click it a bit faster than 1 shot/s, which is a pretty relaxed and easy to keep up with pace. I still use both guns though, but I tend to use the deathstalker more.

I'd also swear you can headshot smashers at the top of their back kind of like how you can headshot the faces draped down a husk's back even though it's not really the head. But, thinking about it it might just be criticals, so I'll have to doublecheck this better with a volunteer test smasher later.

Ultimately though, while I agree with the general assessment that true snipers tend to have an overspecialized role and that many of the semi-autos are too much of a pain to fire consistently, I don't think just going all short range shotguns and auto pistols only because they have the highest theoretical DPS when your gun is clipping through the back of a smasher is quite the most correct answer.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Just doublechecked and you cannot headshot smashers from the back. Having 60% crit rate on my weapon just kind of made it look like it.

But like, even at power 50 they get downed so fast I don't really feel the need for 20% more point blank non-headshot damage or whatever. They barely ever make it more than 5-10 seconds after coming into view of everyone. Hell, if Goin' Commando is up, I can just melt them in a couple seconds solo. Maybe it changes by twine peaks and that's when the horror story starts, but everyone said canny would be the wall and I'm still just melting through everything and taking first place more often than not in the first third of canny right now. The only thing that really makes me pause at the moment is soloing my storm shield defenses.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Resources are too hard to come by. Mousetrap making should be the name of the game.

Also if I need a sniper rifle and I have a blue (rare) that has good stats, should I level it up to 15 or is that a complete waste?
You can get 90% of the xp invested when you recycle or transform. Sniper rifles are kind of meh imo, but if you don't otherwise have a decent long range gun then go for it.

Once you're in mid-plank resources becomes easier if you're smart about it and know what to look for to gather and don't go berserk on traps. You get more stuff per node later, except for herbs/flowers from bushes and the scaling metal/powder/rope. I'm constantly full of stuff and have about 210 pre-crafted traps just sitting in my inventory right now.

That ammo consumption.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Okay so can I ditch my stacks of planks and rough ore?
I generally make those into wall launchers. But, if you're running out of space, they're probably the ones to toss second, after flowers.

You'll also need some rough ore to make explosive powder with coal.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Do not buy non-super llamas unless you are whaling.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Traps are more compressed than individual materials if you have any good ones leveled. Even if the traps stacks only go to 20, they take a dozen or few materials each.

Random guns you find in chests and such are garbage because they don't get perks.

Definitely keep:
Active Powercell
Rotating Gizmo (at least until you're using all legendary weapons)
The highest metal tier you're on (copper, silver, malachite, obsidian, shadowshard)
All other mats needed to craft your guns you're going to use like mechanical parts, and which aren't planks and rough ore
Duct tape
Bacon
Coal (until you have several stacks, for explosive powder)

Should keep if possible:
Herbs
Nuts & Bolts
Any scaling materials that you don't use commonly for your guns or traps (powder, rope, mech parts)
Quartz (for shadowshard later)

Just have some around:
Rough ore (always have some to craft explosive powder for your guns)
Planks
Batteries (unless you otherwise need a lot for something else)
Adhesive resin (for duct tape when you really need it, but you'll usually be out of herbs first, especially if you make gas traps)

1 stack at most:
flowers (only used in healing pads afaik)

Here's what my ingredients tab looks like right now:

Also, someone dropped like 8 stacks of rough ore and planks in my last mission so I did what any red blooded fortnightian would do:

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 11, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'll just push the button to go once the base minimum is built sometimes since I could generally solo it anyway. Sometimes someone will complain like "good job starting it while I'm doing the quests, good luck rear end in a top hat" and I'll just be "lol this is easy imma solo it just get your poo poo done I got this."

Related, I don't care too much if people just get their Halloween quest stuff done because having the party bonus just makes it easier to solo the objective and it's faster than waiting for them.

Moral of the story: you don't have to wait for people to stop goofing off. Just push the big red GO button when you feel like it's safely winnable.

E: Like, if they're so bad that they have to farm an entire map every mission for the stuff that spawns in hexylvania, I think it's kind of questionable how useful they'll be anyway.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 13, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tei posted:

Use the macro for "is everyone ready?". If nobody reply, then you can start it. If somebody say yes, you can start it. If somebody say "not now", then wait a bit, then spam it again.
Don't start it without any warning.

I enjoy building, and for me a good defense can deflect most of the horde, so less bullets are wasted. I am specially fond of push traps that send waves of husk to holes or out of the map.
Not only I enjoy building, is a loving party when I join a game and another guy enjoy building. Things can get a bit too overengineered, but we love to see the resoluting rube goldberg machine murderize everything. Is the builders way.

Us builders enjoy some help. Like repair critical buildings that are about to break, and put some traps, if you are absolutelly sure is the right trap. Low level missions can be done with only bullets, but the high level you go, the more a real defense you need.
I usually ask "is anyone not ready" just in case there's afks or something. If people are off doing something and they'll be doing it for some time while I'm ready to finish it I'll just push the button anyway though. I'll tell them they can just keep doing whatever it is they're doing and come join if/when they finish it.

And I always build launchers off tall cliffs and into pits and stuff too. You just gotta do it. It's the law.

My issue there is more with the kind of people that will build a 250 piece base and waste the bonus when there's a single square wide ramp to the objective. Why would you do that? You don't even really need to build anything for that unless the purple lobbers show up as long as someone has good area damage. And the game in particular I'm thinking of we had a master grenadier, an urban assault and a dragon. There was no way anything was going to live past that chokepoint traps or no.

Seditiar posted:

E: Until you start doing things like 3/4 category storm, in which case the base is simply too big to do it alone. Unless you want to waste 3 -4 maps worth of mats.
The trick to soloing cat 3/4 storms when you have to is to reroll the map until all but 1-2 of the atlases are in the air. With killporch or other high efficiency design all you really have to worry about are exploders flanking you and aside from that can easily be done in under a map's worth of resources within a couple game days.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The new elemental husk effects are pretty cool electrifying.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Straight buff. It straight does about 33% more damage to all elementals than a physical weapon.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tei posted:

- Llamurai for long range combat without using ammo (low level shield defenses?)
Also notably, Llamurai is a Shuriken Master whose tactical support gives you up to 24% more ability damage. It's good for using with your dragons, grenadiers, and other shuriken masters.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm in Plankerton and lobbers are 1 shotting my brick building pieces that have like 500 health. Is this common?
Building health upgrades should be #2 on your to-get list after breaking into any new skill tier, after possibly offense or tech survivors if that's what's going on. If no one in your group has those upgrades, this does happen really easily.

Great Beer posted:

Im in canney and rarely weekend anything other than soldiers. Ninjas are too flimsy to risk getting close and any soldier with the electric field grenades deals with trash more easily and more often than dragon slash. The most valuable resources are the ones your guns use so why waste them on a class without bonuses to make them more effective? On top of that skills like Shockwave and the minigun make them even more resource efficient since they can take out smashers for no ammo cost.
You can run out of grenades and be stuck without longer than a dragon slash. Especially as an Urban Assault who only gets 3. Grenadiers have a max stock of 6 which is often enough to last a whole combat if paced well, but it can still be tricky and you might find yourself grenadeless for 25 seconds. Dragon slash is just always every 10s.

That said I think grenadier is better than dragon on that front. UA really needs a tiny chokepoint for their electric grenades where the dragon has more wiggle room though.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 21, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I currently feel like the perfect general use team is something like a grenadier, an urban assault, a mega/powerbase and one of: a dragon, special forces or another urban assualt/grenadier.

Rangers might be able to overtake one of the soldier spots if their activateable abilities weren't so bad.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 21, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I think it would be ok if Outlanders got to store 4-6 charges of airstrike equivalents as an ability.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I watched their video about upcoming pve stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMlJHbTqdw0

Bulletpoints:

1: Manipulate your backpack and craft from the homebase (not in a game session) menu.
2: Canny story work in progress. VAs and such are recording right now.
3: Leaderboards of some sort next year
4: Winter event is a surivive the storm style event (the 3/7/14 day one)
5: Can vote to skip build part of day and go straight to night now if you're ready to fight. Only 3 and 7 day variants.
5: New heroes and weapons in winter event.
6: Minibosses. "All new monster properties and abilities". Seems to be implied for just the survive the storm style event though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

One of my favorite parts of grenadier and UA is never taking fall damage by using shockwave just before you hit the ground.

You can also use it as a tiny doublejump if you stand on a rock or something where you barely can't single jump onto the ledge. Just press it at the top of your single jump and you can make it onto things you can't without shockwave.

It also costs less energy than base mantis leap.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 22, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also you can use shockwave to cross 1 tile gaps. Forgot to mention that one. Probably more useful than the bit of extra vertical distance you can get.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It was likely a good choice, assuming you aren't full of legendary lead survivors.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That but also it's kind of grindy sometimes. I'm still having fun with it though.

I also still have a friend code thing if you want it $10 off. Just hit me up in PM.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I don't know if the PS4 controls are that bad, but I can usually do all 5 towers solo on PC. 4 at least.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Earlier this week the PvE Vindertech event quests were hard to finish because doing 34 or 40+ missions with storms was nearly impossible in Plankerton, they just didn't show up much. Tonight there's a lot more of them available at 34, 40, and 46. It's much better and will make finishing part 8 possible without being in Canny Valley yet (I'm behind on my questing since I spend a lot of time doing event stuff I guess).

Could also join a canny valley person's group.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It wasn't working for me yesterday but it is today.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

With the amount of weapon XP I've got so far, it seems like I could have about 2 weapons appropriately leveled. If I get something that looks interesting I'll try it out before putting it into the collection book, but I keep getting weapons that feel like poo poo to me. So knowing I don't really have the weapon XP to level much anything else and maybe bad luck with weapon drops I've just been putting a lot into the collection.

Canny Valley says it's 40+ if I remember right, my power level is 24 and where I'm at on the skill tree to have the tier 3 stuff unlocked I didn't even think twice about it. I did spend a lot of time grinding the Halloween event rather than progressing through the story, so maybe my skills compared to power level is screwed up. I'll give those lvl 34-40 plankerton missions a try, I've been finding malachite semi-regularly but still need 25 weapon parts.

The limited founders pack is super tempting at $54.99. When it says "+66 Daily Loot Pinata Packs", I'm assuming that's 1 per day for 66 days and not 66 per day right?
You should never, ever put purple or orange stuff into the collection book unless you're whaling. You'll want it later for when you get legendary transform keys. It takes 5 purples of the same item category (guns, traps, hero survivor) to make an orange. The collection book is not where you put stuff that you don't want to use. It's where you put stuff when you have 50 too many items in your armory. The only things you might want to just throw in there before you're overflowing by quite a bit is white and green stuff. Blue stuff can go in there once you have a nice pile of manuals of every type.

You can get a bunch of mechanical parts by going into an industrial park zone and breaking all the transformers, heavy equipment, cars, and so on. Find a level 34+ plankerton one (higher is better), start a private game and just clean it out.

And yeah, that is 1 llama a day for 66 days.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 23, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Cars and parking meters are overrated for nuts and bolts.
Cars are still pretty good for mech parts, which is what's needed for the Gravedigger.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Armory slots, legendary/epic flux and probably the seasonal heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's more a one time might as well thing. Maybe they'll get buffed later or something. What else are you getting after armory slots and flux?

• Locked thread