Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I'm enjoying the game so far, but not sure if it'll have much staying power. Then again, I'm still in the first area.

I have a really hard time not taking the outlander chick because of her Keen Eye ability for finding chests. Maybe once I learn what to look for it'll be less necessary, but there are still a lot of normal looking containers that glow. And being able to run through a house quickly and find the best stuff without opening everything is a big time saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Campbell posted:

I feel like the building tutorial stuff should've ramped up to the "build this radar tower" experience quicker. With the "build limit" goal it basically has me making nothing except short walls only when I exactly know where the pathing choke points are going to be. The build system itself is really good but rewarding "not building" hamstrings it. Let me blueprint out some rad towers or minefields from the home screen if I want, and then fill in the blanks building it during a mission. Or just give me a 2d notepad so I can make my own schematics without risking resources or play bonuses.
Yeah, I've basically stopped building anything and leaving it to the pubs because not only does it take a bunch of mats from your own stash, but without any kind of coordination you're likely to just get in each other's way.

I apparently ended up playing with one of the devs this morning (he had [Epic] before his name, and responded to a question about a potential map transparency setting), and he actually made a pretty decent looking structure around the arc, but not really any traps. Not that we came even close to needing them on the rank 9 mission.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

M2tt posted:

Yeah I've been using the outlander a lot for the same reason
I've also had a bunch of ammo issues but running Rescue the Survivors in any suburb map lets you spend the whole 15 min or so running about smashing cars and parking meters and I'm sitting at max capacity now for most of my guns.
Found another reason outlanders are the obvious choice: All the backpack upgrades are in their trees.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Looks like they're doing an AMA on Reddit right now.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

BadLlama posted:

The game keeps telling me about my storm shield inventory but I have no idea how to put things in it or see what is in it.
If you go to your storm shield defense mission and access the storm shield computer thing there's a tab in the interface for some storage. I think it starts with like 5 slots? Mine had a bunch of ammo in it when I checked for some reason.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

BadLlama posted:

If you put things in it do you get to access it during missions?
Not that I know of. It's pretty dumb.

I think I stuck an emergency rocket launcher and rifle in there.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Equate posted:

If you have any questions about this game hit me up, I partook in the closed alpha for over a year.
They seem to be missing some serious QoL things in the current build (accessing backpack/crafting from main menu, no "remove structure" function).

Has it come a long way in that time? Or have the F2P bits crept in and made it clunky? Just kind of curious where it was sitting a year ago and what kind of progress we might expect.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

m.hache posted:

Or can you only bring them in to help with quests.
It's this one. They got asked about shared bases in the AMA and they liked the idea, but it's probably a ways out if ever.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So question about editions. The deluxe edition says it has a rare 8 hero starter pack. Does that mean the standard edition doesn't come with heros to play as or something?
I'm not 100% since I have deluxe, but you start as the soldier woman and then I think you get the constructor guy from a quest. IDK if you get any more automatic ones.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So what is the purpose of survivors? Just making sets to get bonuses?
Each team gives you a stat boost to your F.O.R.T.s. So the EMT team gives you Fortitude while your fire team gives you Offense. Matching jobs and personalities increases that boost. The set bonuses give you special extra boosts if you complete them.

According to the tooltip, each F.O.R.T. point is a straight % increase in health, weapon damage, shields, or trap/ability damage (respectively), so they seem like they're no joke.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Also isnthe only way to craft guns and look at your backpack is being in a round and not anywhere in the pre game menu?
Yes, unfortunately.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the scavenging system in this game really needs instanced/shared loot. If it were, you could have one outlander who's actually contributing to the team by running around and finding all the chests in a level.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

I guess I kinda agree with this? I like playing Outlander, and finding a purple chest feels good because YOU got it, but this has led to playing with teams of nothing BUT Outlanders trying to get to chests first, and this is counter-productive. Though it is fun having multiple Outlanders and having big Loot Llama parties.
It would totally give me a warm fuzzy feeling to find a sweet purple chest and know that everyone got something from it.

On the other hand, I'd also like to feel like I can take a break and play something else once in a while. But I can't give up that Keen Eye buff.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

Or Anti-Material Punch... but then again, that's mainly so I can get through walls faster so I get the loot screw you suckers!
I always forget I have that. But then again, I'm almost always running on fumes for stamina.

For me the main other thing I'd miss would be Passing Zone. Pickaxe something 5 times for a 15% (IIRC) speed boost? Yes please. Everyone else seems so slow afterwards.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Game doesn't even start getting real until the 15 rank missions. And even then it's still not difficult. It's just there you'll likely start losing a few walls and poo poo.

My understanding is it escalates from there, but I haven't had much time and am still working on wrapping up that first area.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

jimmydalad posted:

Do you think we should have a discord group to coordinate stuff like Storm Shield defences and whatnot?

Skandranon posted:

From the private game server thread, there's a Discord server available at https://discord.gg/qC4Qjtf
(I had to go back a few pages to find it, so no judgement.)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

I don't know any. Some random dude just posted this in reddit, and could be worth testing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/6q486u/plankerton_shield_1_solo_0_shots_fired/

The problem of shield defenses, is that you don't know where the attack will come from, so is hard to guess where to put defenses first.
Very interesting. He's saying that their pathing takes into consideration the total wall health between them and where they're going. Which would potentially explain why they don't walk very far out of their way for a single line of low walls.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Question regarding disposing of dupes:

First dupe goes into collection book, then all further dupes get recycled unless they have a better role than your current, right? There's no reason to keep a few copies around or level them up before recycling?
You've generally got it right. You get 90% of your spent xp back when recycling things, but you also don't gain anything when just leveling something you're not going to use either.

Things get a little more complicated when you unlock the ability to transform things. I haven't done much of that yet, so I don't know how it changes the value of things. Maybe someone who's a higher level will provide some insight.

You also may not want to recycle/transform all your blues/greens of the weapons you like either though, since they're cheaper to craft and they're good to use on lower missions. And even a green may end up being straight up better sometimes until you unlock higher tiers of evolution if the rolls are much better than your epics/legendaries (+10% damage and +10% damage vs a bunch of other garbage).

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

something that i just realized: there's cross-purchasing. i have it on both my ps4 and pc, despite purchasing only on my ps4.
Someone said that the v-coins don't transfer between the two systems though, so watch out for that maybe.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I need to up them. I seem to be low on those resources.

EDIT:

Whoa, okay.
I'm at 66, 58, 85 and 80. I'm doing something very wrong.

In offense, I only have ONE survivor that's a good fit and it's the lead. I have literally no other offense people.
Matching is often less important than the raw number. If you've got any epics/legendaries lying around that aren't in use, slot them in and see if you can make the total number higher. Even a rare can usually beat out a matched common/uncommon.

Here's a dev with a few tips on how to progress.

e: Also, how the heck do you have an overall fort power of 19+ if your stats are so low? If you're ignoring that, you probably shouldn't. That's basically a calculation of what missions you should be doing based on your FORTs.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 29, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

My homebase power is 16 but I've progressed into the 19+ missions. Maybe I didn't grind as much as it expected me to. I'm gonna go back to the 9s and grind some more.
You should be able to do 15s just fine. Your offense is a little low compared to the others, but focus on that first and you should be set.

Carecat posted:

I have 212, 182, 167, 115 at power 21 and it's still tough doing good damage in 23 missions with rare weapons in the teens. Looks like 3/4 of my stats come from survivor page so I think the rest is skill tree?
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. All those +3 techs and skills look dumb, but they add up. Between those and the survivors that's where all of your home base rating comes from. You can tell because even if you swap heroes it doesn't go up or down.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

According to the dev that was on the GiantBomb Unfinished EX video they once had sentries but took them out for being too OP. Kind of disappointing, really, but I think they wanted to make the defenders the sentries of the game.
They're definitely still in the code, since they were in the intro thing.

And there's kind of a turret thing in the 2nd tier outlander tree. It doesn't seem very good, but it can do cleanup a little.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

Is it worth spending my good boy points on Upgrade Llamas?
I don't think so. IMO save them for the super llamas. There you're at least guaranteed a legendary. For the same 1000 pts in upgrades, one might bump to gold (and might not), and you're much more likely to get a legendary survivor than anything else.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
If you're on just the standard game then I think 17-18 sounds about right for things starting to slow down. I've spent a bit more, and things are starting to slow at 20.

It sounds like he might be missing a few survivor squad slots. I'm guessing the ones in the research tree. You'll likely want to unlock those next, as survivors are some of the biggest boosts to your FORT.

For me, the current bottleneck seems to be the tech and skill trees. There are tons of survivor slots and +FORTs in there. But that seems like it's designed to be the main source of progress.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm just about to 3 star my Bearcat autoshotty.. thing OWNS!

I'd recommend it big time.
Yeah, I usually hate shotguns, but this is one of my only legendaries and I have no regrets.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Last time I checked with the pathing as it is, if you reinforce the sloped walls of a pyramid to be stronger than the roof, they'll still walk up it and start banging on the roof (and get murdered by any floor traps there).

Not a perfect solution, but still a decent last line of defense for the reasons above.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

So, when talking about building a pyramid you mean just reinforced stairs forming a single pyramid around the objective? Are stairs any less durable than walls? Where do you put the traps then if they're walking up the side of the pyramid?
I don't know where I saw the idea for it, but my basic atlas defense for a while is just stairs leading up 3 of the sides of the atlas, corner slopes at the corners, and a box jutting out from one side so you can put a door on it (ideally facing away from where the husks are coming from). Then you ceiling it off and put a floor trap directly above the atlas, put some supports up so you can put a ceiling trap above that and you're done.

Sorry, I'm at work or I'd build one and post an example.

Anyway, I'd definitely noticed that the husks have started attacking the slopes instead of running up to the top recently. But I'm 90% sure that if you reinforce the slopes, stairs and walls while leaving the ceiling normal they will run up to the top again.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

You don't even really need the door, as you can edit the corner pieces to let you walk in, activate the atlas, then re-edit to close it again. I saw this with some pubbies, posted a screenshot in Discord, and did this with some Goons once or twice. Haven't done it lately, but would not be hard to further reinforce to make them walk up again, making the ceiling the weakest point.
That's probably where I saw it then. Looked back through the thread and didn't see it, so figured it must have been Discord or a random Reddit post.

And yeah, the reinforced slopes are the key. My plank base is a 5x5 pyramid, and reinforcing them for defense 2 made them run up it and beat on the ceiling this weekend.

You probably wouldn't be able to get away with a ring of low walls around the edge of the top though. They'd likely decide to beat on the slopes again.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Everything you just said is probably true and correct but I have no idea what it means. This game has so many intertwining systems it's insanity. I've basically engaged with none of them besides leveling poo poo up when a quest requires me too because I don't wanna burn resources without knowing what I'm doing.
Probably sometime around rank 15 you'll probably want to start caring. Or at the very least will have a hard time pushing into the 20s without leveling stuff up.

Basic pointers:

Survivors

Make sure you match leader jobs when possible. That will double their value.

Priority for regular survivors is generally: Rarity > personality match >>>>>> set bonus match. You basically want to pick whatever survivor ends up with the highest calculated number in each slot. Matching personality helps, but it only adds a few points based on rarity. Set bonuses are to your base stats, so they're all basically just +5 FORT points to a subset of one stat (so while +5 Offense means +5% to all weapon damage, the +5% melee bonus is the same thing but for only melee damage).

Spend XP on higher rarity dudes IMO since you're more likely to keep them around forever, then spend on leaders to get more bang for your buck. Remember though that even if you end up retiring a guy you still get 90% of the xp back (though not any evolution mats). So it's not the end of the world if you level up a green leader or whatever.

That will give you the biggest boosts to your FORTs and home base rating, but those +stat nodes in the research and skill trees do also add up.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Great Beer posted:

Plankerton and Canney Valley storm shield bases have been wiped.
It looks like at least they refunded the resources and traps to your SS storage.

e: Still really sucks, but I'm less pissed than I was.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 4, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Ross Perowned posted:

So is this 1000 coin llama bundle then one I should be saving up for and use my coins on?
No, upgrade llamas are garbage. Wait for a "super llama" with a guaranteed legendary.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Also, everyone will be able to get a green Pathfinder Jess from the outlander quest now that it's unbugged. If you don't have another source of Keen Eyes I highly recommend taking her at least to 8 for chest farming.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

TheBlandName posted:

Anti-material charge is an awesome skill and bringing a green hero from level 8 to 2* doesn't cost anything that you can't farm in a mission or two.
For sure. Though I'm honestly almost always too low on stamina to make good use of it. Breaking through walls is usually valuable stamina recharge time. :v:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

It's also useful for blowing up some types of things, as you do get the loot from them.

Working on leveling up my Legendary Founder Jess, she gets a lot of teleport stuff, which I think lets you teleport through walls to get chests, but less destructively.
I'm really regretting picking the outlanders for my Limited pack. A legendary Recon Scout doesn't really have much more utility than my blue Pathfinder for just finding stuff.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

LaserShark posted:

Well, what I mean is, if I pay $40 now, what am I getting that someone that starts in December for free is not? Just a handful of llamas?
Accumulated daily login rewards are about it. The 7 llamas you get with the basic pack aren't worth nearly $40. But yeah, if they keep loving up they'll probably end up giving out a few more rounds of free junk.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

You can also probably get a key from goons who got the mega packs for less than $40.
Ah, yeah. True fact. I think the going rate is ~$20.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Twibbit posted:

It seems that on most maps I end up building the base for people. While I enjoy building it leaves me at less resources for the storm shield
That's really the crux of one of my biggest issues with the game. It's a co-op game, but all of the resource mechanics, from homebases, to end of game rewards being the same for everyone, to chests pit people's interests against playing for the group.

I've submitted feedback regarding this both in-app and through their survey. And one of the most upvoted posts on reddit for most of the week went in depth about it as well.

Basically, IMO you should enter a mission with 0 building materials, and when you gather them they should be pooled. And crafting materials should be instanced per player, though not scattered around the map like mini-mission rewards. If they were, the constructor and soldier would have to follow the route of the outlander before starting the mission to make sure they get all their stuff.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do the enemies prefer open paths or will they just attack the nearest thing?
They basically try to find the shortest route, but modified by the number of structure HP (and traps?) between them and the target.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
And if materials are no object, to maximize walls in a single space you can build a sandwich like the following:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

TheBlandName posted:

I mean, I prefer a full floor so that you can get a trap on it to work for two wall's worth of HP, but yeah that's a solid design. It's actually material efficient compared to building another ring of defenses.
The idea is that the husks should never go through the area because they should path around it. An extra layer of HP helps dissuade them.

If you had your entrances really far apart and expected breaches, then a full floor would definitely make sense. Or maybe just for the outer layer of your sandwich stack.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
I feel like I'm starting to hit the grind getting my Plank base ready for SSD3. Maybe I'm way over preparing, but I'm trying to do death corridors, and the materials required for the sandwiches in between the corridors is pretty brutal. If I spend 10-15 minutes gathering for 999 in all mats, I can easily blow through that in 15 minutes of building.

And don't get me started on nuts and bolts. I think I end up with about 100 per farming run, but that's only about 10 traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

This game is fun, I am enjoying this game. I would not recommend this game.
Agreed 100%. My money's already spent and I don't really regret it, but the monetization system of an early access game with a $40+ price tag is a total joke.

• Locked thread