Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Raged posted:

Thing that irks me about the game is that the base game is fun, but the 50 systems that are in the game to push you towards dropping tons of cash on it are infuriating. Bet we will be seeing research boots in the future.
Agreed. It's kind of a bell curve. The tutorial is so loving long it took me two days of moderate playtime to get through Stonewood, where not all of the zombies exist, and not all of the objectives exist. It slowly introduces these things over time, and that hits its peak about the time you enter Plankerton. When you get there, objective and monster variety skyrocket. However, you get a very short time of enjoyable gameplay after that point before hitting the drat pay wall.

Hence, it's a bell curve. The game itself underneath the mountains of F2P bullshit is awesome, but you really have to force yourself through to enjoy it. The last two or three days I've simply logged on to collect my research points. Today I didn't even do that.

I wasn't a proponent of the "pay wall" until I hit mid-Plankerton. I kind of thought the double/triple dipping was shady though. That they are selling five drat tiers of founders access to a game that isn't finished by their own admission, after advertising it as being more or less finished (I'm referring to the third and fourth acts not existing, but being advertised.) And even with those five tiers of founders access, they're still layering on the same F2P mechanics that will hit the F2P players in 2018. So yeah, I didn't mind that, because that seems to be standard practice these days.

I only minded it once I hit mid-Plankerton, and suddenly I could not advance past Fort Level 20, and the response of the community was "use transform keys!" Those cost over 400 people to transform a rare. I get 9 people a mission, and it costs 15 people to send off an expedition. The grind is ridiculous. I have a job and a wife to tend to, I don't have time to grind that hard, which sucks because yes, the gameplay is so good.

/review/rant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread