Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
More people here should be playing BR! It's so much better than PUBG. It's not laggy (mostly), the building adds a dynamic and vertical element to the gameplay that is great, and the smaller map means the games are way more fast paced. It definitely scratches the clicking-heads itch for me more than PUBG, since I prefer a faster paced game. Feel free to add me on Epic if you ever wanna throw down some games (PC: BinaryInput) I mostly play solo so having a chance to do some coordinated duos/squads would be a nice change.

I also would like to espouse my love for the pump-shotgun https://clips.twitch.tv/BumblingSparklingHorseVoHiYo (sorry I don't have the clip without my big dumb face, just mute it if talking heads trigger you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Just picked the game up. What's some good starting advice to not die constantly in battle royale?

First and foremost, the tracers on most guns are visual only. The guns are hitscan with reticle bloom. You'll want to get the hang of knowing when to fire fast up close and giving the reticle bloom time to shrink when you're trying to plink some heads farther away. The only guns with actual bullet ballistics are the sniper rifles. Like in every shooter, hitting heads will do a ton more damage and is highly recommended whenever possible.

Next up, you'll want to get to learn where the gold chests tend to spawn. You can hear them through walls, it's like a shimmering type of sound. Chests can drop good loot, so finding them early game is critical. When I first started, I dropped at the same location a bunch til I learned where the boxes were and could reliably get one or two right away to make sure I was getting guns. They often are in attics or in basements that require breaking into with your pickaxe. Make sure you're hitting the blue circles that pop up when you're pickaxing something so that it breaks faster.

Quick building is the key to surviving when someone gets the drop on you. I rebound Q to build wall and F to build ramp. With some quick builds you can also surprise a lot of less attentive players that are in the middle of fighting someone else.

If you're dying a lot dropping at the named locations, you can try figuring out where a smaller cluster of houses is and drop there. You will have fewer loot opportunities but you will have more time to mentally prepare for a fight.

And lastly, learning to pinpoint where gunshots and footsteps are via sound is key. It's easier in Fortnite than PUBG, but sound doesn't carry as far either. This just takes practice, but playing without headphones puts you at a major disadvantage.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I'm glad they're nerfing double pump, but it's not going to stop people from doing things like triple/quad pump but idc really. I've already been doing pump->tac smg or pump->tac shotty anyways since it's more forgiving if I miss (I do).

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Oof I'd be so pissed if that happened to me. I love this game but every once in a while I run into some garbage like that and I get all tilted. Mostly, it's fine though.

I have like two days to grind out my battle pass but I'm only like 47 cuz I took a two week break.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
On the other end of the spectrum,my friend who is new to video games as a whole won a solo with zero kills! (Yeah I know this was a fluke lol).

I've tightened up my game a ton in BR, my building is fast and reflexive now. Once I really notch in when to build a panic wall immediately post shotgun blast to deny an enemy retalliation I think I'll be sitting pretty good. And I could do better at assaulting an enemy tower, if I'm honest.

I still end most games in #2 or #3 because I try to do some dumb Ninja poo poo and I'm obviously not there yet skill wise. When I can actually refrain from trying to be too clutch, I do very well and average 7-11 kill games. Just need to up my actual win percentage by not being a dumbass.

Once again, anyone should feel free to add me on Epic, Binary_InputTTV (PC of course). I do stream during the week but I'm not a tryhard at all and just like having fun so feel free to whisper me in game if you want chill games.

If you already added me,we should get some games in this week whisper me if I'm on!

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
On PS4 the mouse/keyboard isn't nearly as big an advantage as you'd think. Mouse movement is somehow tied to framerate so it's a laggy mess in some places, your mouse cursor doesn't show in any UI except the map so changing settings or doing inventory stuff in game is awful. It can be hard to aim precisely because of the forementioned lovely mouse movement, but building is wayyyyy better.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I haven't tried mouse/keyboard on PS4 wince they added the 60 fps option so the timing might be better now. Still no mouse cursor in the UI though.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Beastie posted:

Just got into BR on Xbox X.
Was mainly a PUBG guy but I like this game better. Better gameplay, runs better, looks better, isn’t quite as long, poo poo loads of challenges.

I’m hoping E3 has a Switch announcement.

I want Fortnite on Switch with Splatoon style motion controls please!

I recently overcame a big skill hurdle. For me, I'm good at the up-close shotgun melee stuff, and medium range I'm pretty good. I make tons of top 10s with 5-13 kills but often choke when it's down to 3 or 4 and I spent some time analyzing my play pretty closely to find my faults:
-Since I'm good at the upclose fights, I tend to push super aggressively but my building wasn't quite up to snuff. I also often neglected to even just build a ramp when I think a guy is 1 shot, and then if I miss a shot I'm hosed. I solved this by slowing down just a bit in the top 10 so I could be a bit more methodical and let the circle work to my advantage. Also learning the best way to assault a base took some practice
-My sniping game is admittedly still a bit week, but something about the Hunting Rifle caused it to click for me and I'm doing much better now. Still need work on leading the scoped sniper rifles but I'm getting way better.
-Quick building for when you get surrounded, and the best way to protect yourself while you focus an attacker is another thing I worked on a lot this week.

My win rate is climbing now, basically most of this can be summed up as "slow your roll, you ain't Ninja"

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 19, 2018

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah it'd be cool to have a more active goon discord for some BR shenanigans. I'll make sure to try and remember to say when I'll be online in there more. At the very least, discord shows you who's playing at any given time even if you aren't friends in game.

Been playing with that new shotgun a bit, it's pretty good, I don't really feel like the "double pump" meta is really back though. It doesn't seem to poo poo out the same damage as back to back green pumps.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Double posting to beg people to post more of their clips in this thread pls I want to watch goony BR action tia

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
^^ I've done that exact move when I had good loot but really had to pee

Heres a couple times I blew a win by being an idiot with the rocket launcher. (it happens a lot I am bad at rockets)

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShortKnottyPterodactylCurseLit
https://clips.twitch.tv/SmellyDreamyNoodleGOWSkull

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Pararoid posted:

When they did the mode with only gold weapons it meant there were no shotguns. I really enjoyed the different strategies people needed to use.

I like the idea of making the current grey pump a gold or purple weapon, and just removing the current green pump altogether.

But we already have a gold shotgun!

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I bought a g502 thinking I'd like the extra buttons for building, but my hands are kinda big so it actually gets me killed more because I fat finger a build button midfight. It's not better than keyboard, just different. Here's my keybinds:
Wall: Q
Ramp: F
Floor: mouse 5
Pyramid is still f4 and trap is still f5 cuz I keep forgetting to move them down to f1&f2
Weapon keys are default 1-5, my preferred weapon order:
1: tac shotty or smg
2: AR
3: Pump or Sniper depending on meds
4: Meds/shields or Splodes
5: Always meds/shields

For playing against builders, you almost always need to find a way to get the high ground. You can try and blitz em directly with a ramp up if they're bad or distracted, try and find a nearby hill to get a good angle on em etc. It's actually one of the things that I found hardest to learn, but most people building towers don't expect a direct assault I've found. Aggression almost always pays off, as long as you can hit them in the head once you get there.

If, when you're pushing someone's tower or 1x1, theyre hitting you with AR or Sniper shots , you'll either need to back off and try a different approach (try and get them to lose you visually), or you can keep pushing by using single ramps and walls as cover till you can get close enough. If you manage to flush them from their base, keep the pressure on and press your advantage by shooting their defensive walls while you advance. Especially if you've landed a few lucky hits and they're desperately trying to find some time to heal. They can't heal if they're spamming walls.

All of this leads me to my next point: Grenade Launchers. Grenade launchers are the best weapon for attacking a base. Take some time to learn the detonation distance, it doesn't need to be exact. Practice bouncing them off your own ramp to attack people closer too. With a grenade launcher, you can do some serious damage and flush someone from a base very quickly. Rockets are too loud and slow to travel and fire to do much to a good builder. With grenades, you can make someone flee, giving you some easy AR shots, or you can roll some grenades at a base giving you time to build up and over to their base with a height advantage for some easy headshots.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Fortnite won't natively support more than the basic 4 mouse buttons on mice, I rebound my extra mouse buttons to keyboard keys in the Logitech software and then bound those in the Fortnite UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
All my best stuff happens off stream with no recording going :(

• Locked thread