Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I'll gut you like a cornish game pyjak!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Game is a complete mess of locked up stats behind level walls and hilariously complicated and obscure leveling and loot system.

Honestly if they just simplified and calmed the the gently caress down with all this weird added on poo poo , they'd have a fun game. It's too bad they didn't put that OCD focus on more than 4 enemy designs.

There's more than 4 different enemies, dude. Keep playing.

no arguing the whole 'overcomplicated stats and collections' thing though

Drakenel fucked around with this message at Jul 23, 2017 around 13:16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

People are whiny. This is nothing new.

Anyway, having spent some time in the second area, I have a decent understanding of the game's mechanics by now. I can give some newbie tips.

-Do the main quests as much as you can. Aside from unlocking new poo poo, it's also a good source of helpful loot.
-Keep at least one hero of each type on hand, even if they suck.
-Objective defenses last one day at most. Feel free to scavenge and do side objectives till you have one day left for the speed run.
-Normal building materials are ridiculously easy to gather. Focus on searching objects in buildings.
-Chests give the best loot, and often traps and guns. Places to look:
*Basements - if you don't see a way down, destroy the floor by a staircase going up, or the centermost tile of the building. They love to hide them.
*Attics - the main reason to raid multi-story buildings. There's usually a sealed off attic. Use ramps to get on the roof and break a roof piece. Don't try to go up from inside, or you risk destroying any loot items on the piece of floor you break
*Hidden walls - It's usually not worth checking random basement walls, with two exceptions: There's a crack in the wall (You'll be able to see the room on the other side) Or there are enemies nearby on your elevation. They'll even helpfully attack the hidden wall to get at you.
-Use different weapons! There's about 5 different ammo types, and switching it up should keep you from running out of any one type as you keep finding more ammo in search objects.
-Practice building! While early game its not strictly necessary, you are going to have to figure it out for later as difficulty jumps and suddenly you have husks bombarding your objective from range and lobbing artillery over your walls.
-Collection: There's a lot you could say about it, but only put in schematics or survivors that you don't need. But do put things in there, as it rewards you with a lot of v-coins and extra skill points.
-Don't sweat the survivor mechanics. It's all about stat boosts and little more.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah it's always nice when it's next to a cliff face or something, makes it much easier to plan. We had an Atlus once in an alley like that too, it was all good until with 30 seconds a little horde erupted through one of the buildings right next to it, little fuckers had burrowed through the building like termites.

That reminds me, it becomes pretty standard later missions that you destroy just about everything that can be destroyed around the objective and replace it with constructed walls, if only for the ability to repair and upgrade. Sure, the two houses on the side LOOK nice, but a few determined husks will get through and there's not a lot you can do to mitigate the damage besides constantly running in to take care of them.

Also gently caress trees between the objective and the spawns. Destroy them all.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Once you start hitting rank 23 missions, expect to see people failing side objectives repeatedly, and even failing the main objective in favor it of them. It gets pretty intense, and even with the founder guns you will find they swarm faster than you can take them down. God help you if you fail to see a gas tank husk in the crowd.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Please. I knew this game was garbage with pubbies the minute I was on like mission five and it's like don't overbuild. Two minutes later, 31/30 objective failed.

That stops like immediately after that level. People learn to do more with less, and there's a couple basic designs that fall well under the maximum limit. The rest people spend in funneling walls and traps everywhere.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

sushibandit posted:

It feels like they updated the pathing AI to be "dumber" recently. Had several instances where they should have funneled into my death road but just attacked the closest wall block instead. Rather annoying, have stopped wasting resources on pre-building trap corridors in favor of just slapping down a few floors/spikes near enemy spawns on an ad-hoc basis.

I... don't think that's 'dumber' really. If anything, its meant to have you build an actual base around your objective/chokepoints instead of making an effortless trap tunnel.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Akumos posted:

If you maze/funnel strat is failing it's because you didn't build enough deterrents on the outside. You need to stack multiple walls.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/c..._0_shots_fired/

Right, the AI basically tries to figure out the shortest way to the objective, with fewest barriers and least traps in its path. Of course, since they spawn a fair direction away, they spread out enough to find different ways though if you let them through they'll notably go for the same weak point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Tei posted:

On missions I believe they are going to be hard, I generally ignore the build limit. You can ask people if they agree and people usually say yes. With the shelter you can add a whole new level on top with pyramids and a extra roof, so it will take a while for witches to make a hole.

To add to this, the build limit really only effects what level loot chest you get at the end of the game, and often what pitiful stuff it gives is not why most people will be playing the mission. (Either quests or specific rewards that they'll get just for completing the mission) Most won't have a problem with going 'gently caress it, level the city and build a goddamn castle.'

• Locked thread