Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Yeah I've been using the outlander a lot for the same reason
I've also had a bunch of ammo issues but running Rescue the Survivors in any suburb map lets you spend the whole 15 min or so running about smashing cars and parking meters and I'm sitting at max capacity now for most of my guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
If you get a quest reward like a gun but your backpack is full, it will go to your base storage and ignore your storage limit, so you don't lose the reward entirely. Mine had some random ammo in it too though, so that might just be a noob supply bump.

Also if you access the storage at someone else's base you'll access your own.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
My girlfriend and I have put in a ridiculous number of hours since the headstart began, granted a lot of those were in groups with a few of the discord goons, but we occasionally gently caress off on our own to farm mats and knock out quests. In short you don't need 4, but it isn't hard to fill out a group when you need to.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
You'll get some out of boxes randomly, but there are black resource nodes in caves that will always give coal.

Also the game definitely gets harder, the Defend the Shelter mission in Planktown can quickly go south if people aren't paying attention.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
You can still recycle them right before they break for a couple mats, but yeah you can't repair them or anything.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Transforming things also gives you schematic/survivor/whatever xp at the same rate of recycling or retiring, but at the cost of research (500 for a rare) or the people resource (140?). One time use transform recipes seem to take drops of rain and I assume higher evolve mats later on. So it's up to you if getting a new random rare is worth losing 5 hours or so of research progress.

There are nodes in the tier 2 research tree that let you narrow down the results to an assault rifle/axe/whatever, and some that let you transform heroes, but I haven't unlocked those yet so I don't know what they cost.

For what it's worth I still trash all my greys, the cost of getting it up to a rare that is probably another dupe just isn't worth it. I tend to hang on to greens a bit longer just in case.

M2tt fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 29, 2017

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
The heavy shotgun is a pretty decent mid-range gun, with a pretty narrow spread. I still prefer the auto shotgun, though.

Also server racks are found in the forest, usually underground, but occasionally I've stumbled across those survivor shacks loaded up with 4 of them. In the suburbs there's a daycare that can spawn with a big inflatable rainbow out front. It contains ~7 teddies.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Equate posted:

Careful, the 3 star requires canney level materials.. just fyi

the long range shotgun is a blast

T3 mats are available in 34+ plankerton.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Skandranon posted:

Maybe this whole Early Access period is a developer scam on the marketing guys to collect a ton of internet vitriol to prove to them that it won't fly, and they can correct it for launch?

This may be the most optimistic gaming comment I've ever seen, I hope you're right.

I've played a poo poo ton, and I've definitely enjoyed it, but I also recommended it to my brother early on and now I feel a bit lovely as a result. This review is also pretty fair: https://youtu.be/E9Ac9GmJTls

Game is fun, but the monetization is horrific. Here's hoping they manage to turn it around.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
It seems to have 4 guaranteed legendaries, possibly more. I got a hero, a sniper, golf club and survivor. Not bad if you aren't after anything specific.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Not to say there aren't exceptions, but by the time you've reached the end of plank you'll have probably accrued ~5k free v-bux. Between the troll llamas and the super llamas so far we've probably got one more good llama left if you haven't spent any on random llamas. I'll take the loot they give me, but definitely won't be buying more.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
I guess the cooldown determines how useful it actually is, but unlimited* rocket launchers would be awesome on the later SSDs to regain some breathing room. I burned through 10 of them on plank 9 and would have gladly taken 10 more. Granted some of those were used to bounce flingers off of cliffs since getting into melee range would have just been suicide, but when you have to kill 1000 mobs to progress taking them out en masse is a good thing.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
We did a 7 day 40+ last night and yeah I don't see myself doing a 14 day any time soon. I do recommend relying heavily on traps for the basic dudes just to conserve ammo though, and focus on sniping lobbers/propane. I went through about 500 nuts and bolts on traps and maybe 2k rounds of sniper ammo. I also finished the 1k kills with traps quest in a single mission, though.

An outlander making a point to bring back llamas +supply drop are also both super handy. There are a bunch of fragments all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Disagree on floor spikes and wall launchers. Floor spikes are useful since they slow down mobs, thus letting things like wall dynamos and your various ceiling traps get more hits in. Similarly wall launchers are great for keeping mobs off the walls you don't want them to break. As a bonus neither of them take nuts and bolts so most of the time you can just poo poo them out all over the place.

A wall launcher with two tiles of floor spikes leading up to it is my go-to trap setup for most critical walls, as by the time the mobs make it back through the spikes, the wall launcher is ready to launch again. Nothing is getting one shot, but they end up dead without firing a shot all the same so who cares?

• Locked thread