Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Do people ever give away keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

The F2P stuff is definitely too far along the Bullshit Meter at this point. It's telling that the devs are great at responding to everything except the monetisation model.

I probably sunk about £80 into ME3 but it was always after I'd had a good game and thought I'd chuck 'em a few quid or they'd just released a good, free, expansion DLC for it. Buying microtransactions for a game I'm enjoying or that has some fun new toys available feels very different to buying microtransactions just to progress and no way am I in for the latter. Like the poster above said, I'd happily pay the equivalent to a subscription fee in microtransactions if the content keeps coming but dropping bucks just to play the same map with higher numbers, and no other way to progress? gently caress that.

The basic gameplay is really solid, I'm liking the game, but really hope they don't kill it with nickel and diming.

The devs were really vocal and communicative during the alpha/beta - right up until the monetisation model went live and they went eerily silent.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

SoggyGravy posted:

No one responded to my previous post maybe because they didn't see it or because no one else knows but I am still really curious as to what happened to bloc party mission mode.

It was tested. It was okay. It didn't fit the 'scope of the game'. It was removed.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

SoggyGravy posted:

You seem angry

Just giving the facts with limited phone posting time.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

SoggyGravy posted:

Okay cool, was just curious about why it would be considered out of scope having never played it and only read the patch notes.

I thought it would be cool with a little work. Devs disagreed.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Xae posted:

There is a fun game in Fortnite but it seems burried under 50 different systems that only exist for monetization.

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

The survivor aspect thing as is could be scrapped completely there is too much poo poo to fill in or maintain

Yes and very yes. I played the majority of the Alpha and this stuff just wholesale killed my enthusiasm.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Raged posted:

After playing for about 4 days I was able to get a refund on my package.. I'm out

Glad to hear. I honestly wish there was more negativity surrounding the game in it's current state - if only to hold on to the hope that the devs would clue in to perhaps considering some rather large scale amendments.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Fusion Restaurant posted:

The subreddit seems to have the negativity well in hand.

Eh, it's reddit. The unpopular opinion, regardless of validity, will be shouted down.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

This game needs to be ripped apart hardcore to wake epic the gently caress up. This has so much potential and is so much fun but this rewards system is going to be cancer that kills this game.

Basically yes.

My first exposure to Fortnite was at San Diego Comic Con, in 2012. I got to watch Cliffy B talk up the game, and he was so transparent about it all - Effectively "We have built a cool system, now we need to make a game out of it!". I then spent the next few months explaining what I had seen to my friends, and cursing that nobody leaked the Comic Con footage. Years passed, and little murmurs of the game bubbled to the surface - more development, progress was happening, 'We want it to be a new breed of F2P that is player friendly', amazing gameplay footage, you name it.

Finally I joined the alpha, and was stoked to see the game held up to years of simmering hype. It wasn't exactly what I had painted in my minds eye, but gently caress me it was close enough and that was all that mattered. It developed well, some stuff was experimented with, things changed, added, removed - but in all, still really solid. During this time the devs were really vocal and the alpha forums were a great place to communicate.

Then the progression poo poo got slathered on, in, and around every orifice of the game. Honestly, the feedback from people when it was first put in equated t 'Wow this system is rough as guts, look forward to see it getting refined a bit' - but it didn't. Tons of awesome feedback was offered, and it was genuinely stuff that was suggested to keep the spirit of F2P elements, but making sure players didn't feel suffocated by it. But the communication dried right up. It felt like higher ups at Epic said 'This thing has to start making money, or the plug gets pulled - now' so they shoe horned stuff in

I don't post much in this thread, because I don't have a lot to say about the game that is positive. I say the same thing to all of my friends - 'The on the ground game play is wicked snappy and fun for the most part, but the overworld/management stuff is just a slog'. And then I recommend for them to wait for it to go F2P and see if they like it, because I don't recommend it as it currently is.

I urge you, if you genuinely like the game and want it to improve, take the time to use whatever feedback form is within reach and express how you feel. I have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit as long as I am having a good time, but this title really trips my threshold. Alternatively, you can call me a sadbrain loser for being this bummed about a F2P game, but eh, I feel fairly justified.

Note: That review, though flawed, still says this: Fortnite suffocates what could be an incredible tower defense game beneath the sum of the most tangential, egregious, impersonal progression systems we’ve seen. And it's true. This game is likely going to die with a whimper, and it bums me the gently caress out.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

puberty worked me over posted:

Chinese investors do not care. They literally control 48% of epic.

Wow, I had no idea - but that does make a whole bunch of sense.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Don't spend money on this game, but if you got a friend with a code anyway, might as well try it.

Can't 'agree' with posts, but basically this.

Edit: Just for the record - I'd likely be playing the game, albeit unenthusiastically, if I too had free access.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at Aug 9, 2017 around 04:34

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

puberty worked me over posted:

why can't they just make diablo 3 with guns and building

Basically what I wanted based off initial impressions/gameplay demo videos.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Tilda posted:

Anybody got a spare lovely version they fancy gifting?

Most people are selling cheap copies, yes.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

At least with video games, you don't have to keep paying to keep playing.

Not usually.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Blorknorg posted:

Great news for everyone! You know how we were all just clamoring for Player Unknown's Battlegrounds but in the Fortnite engine? Well that's what today's patch is!

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...e-battle-royale

I...what?

Apparently player progression/buffs/modifiers are all turned off in the PUBG mode? To level the playing field? Wonder how the whales feel about that.

Edit: I genuinely hate how fun it looks. I don't want to support the current state of Fortnite, but cartoony PubG with building looks like a fairly good time,

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2017 around 00:43

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Are there cheap keys for this game yet?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

hey welcome to the show! posted:

That's interesting to hear. I'm still on the fence, but then again, I do have a year before this game goes free to play.

Who knows what will change by then.

I'm telling every fence sitter I know to just wait it out. It's going to be free, the greatest test opportunity to see if you want to give it money.

socialsecurity posted:

That's not the direction things are currently going but who knows there is potential here.

By 'direction' are you referring to it going Free2Play? Because that isn't doom and glooming from people unhappy with the game, the Devs have literally announced and set a rough date for its F2P release. Its been their intention from the start.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2017 around 00:56

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Kill fortnite, long live battle royale.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Bakalakadaka posted:

I have no interest in not-pubg and I like the regular game but I'm glad people are enjoying it because maybe they'll want to relax and shoot some zambos later.

Also apparently the pubg man is mad at Epic for this existing now lmao.

Make the Zambo shooting good and I will join you

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

explosivo posted:

This is all pretty interesting, but will these changes be only for the battle royale mode? Either way I get worried that they're slipping into this cycle of patching one and not the other, or making sweeping changes to both modes to appease players of one of the two modes. I just would hate to see the main Fortnite game become a footnote of the more popular BR mode.

I'm genuinely curious to see out of everybody playing Fortnite at any given time how many are playing Fortnite and how many are playing BR. At a certain point I feel like higher ups have to look at these numbers and go "Well why are we still even developing for A when everybody's playing B?"

The PvE mode, while good in concept, still suffers from being buried under a bunch of questionable grindy/gamble-y garbage. The amazing feedback surrounding BR (I hope) should prompt some scrutiny on whats not working in the game, and start some strategies to sort it out.

I want to like Fortnite, but it still has this korean-f2p-mmo shaped tumor hanging off it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

When will people start saying 'Victory Royale' instead of chicken dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

it should be 'Royale With Cheese'

Genuinely, if they had given it some super whacky gimmick name people would be saying that.

It's why people keep saying 'chicken dinner' even though it's not actually pubg

• Locked thread