Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equate
Nov 11, 2011

If you have any questions about this game hit me up, I partook in the closed alpha for over a year. I also have 2 standard editions for 25$ each PM me if you are interested. I sit in the tanks/ships discord channel. Just look for the name Bart. Come hit me up if you want to chat about the game, or if you want any more information on what you should spend your vbucks on etc..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Any high-level pointers on resource use would be appreciated. Seems like V-bux are best used on llamas and that you should slot dupe schematics in your collection, but even then, I'm afraid I'm missing something.

So for the collection book, honestly you only need one of each schematic unless you want to have different levels. Reasoning is that there are four different tiers to the game, (the four different areas). Each tier has its own set of tiered resources which coincides with the star level of your weapons and traps. levels 1-10 11-20 and so on and so forth are different tiers. That saying, you can keep lower level weapons that are cheaper on resources, if you want. However you will obtain them later on. So don't level past your area. If you are really hurting on resources use an outlander with the chance to double resources as your main hero, also slot an outlander with the double % chance in your support(or tactical) slot.

Now back to collection, so the collection book the only rewards that I remember that are worthwhile are the 14th and 44th ish. You can slot schematics in it, you can also go back and upgrade slotted schematics. However once slotted they are are gone to the player and only exist in the book. Meaning you can no longer use that hero/weapon etc...

What to spend vbucks on? Depends on what you need, the current llama rate is something along the lines of 11-14% silver and 4-6% gold. I do not know the jackpot rate unfortunately (jackpot can occur on any llama and it gives you 4-6x the card amount of the llama). There is a daily llama that changes at or around 6pm central. If you need heroes/people wait for the 1000 Super people Llama, if you need weapons, get the weapon llama's, so on and so forth. The special llama's have a chance to upgrade also (unless it says it is guaranteed to upgrade)

I keep 1 of each hero of each class of the highest level, just for the tactical/support bonus. If I see a class that has a bonus I will use with the same class, Such as a soldier (which I use as a main) and the same soldier with a good bonus, I will keep both. Otherwise you don't need to keep multiple heros.

***Transmuting - You can transmute ANY item into ANY item if you have a blueprint for transmutation. it takes 5 or 6 RARE(BLUE) Heroes for 1 purple. Heroes are worth the most in terms of transmutation points. It does cost a poo poo ton of survivors (the people resources),somewhere around 450 I think for a purple hero.

The only different between purple/legend/mythic Heroes are stats, they have the same skills. The legend/mythic heroes' stats increase a bit more, but cost more.

They seem to be missing some serious QoL things in the current build (accessing backpack/crafting from main menu, no "remove structure" function).

Has it come a long way in that time? Or have the F2P bits crept in and made it clunky? Just kind of curious where it was sitting a year ago and what kind of progress we might expect.

They have done a lot over the year. There are systems I miss, such as an individual skill tree for each character which allowed a huge amount of character customization which was awesome. They also took away turrets which were a bit OP. I also enjoyed the OLD UI, but they have improved things a bit. Those concerns you hit on I have hit on in feedback, so have other players. The only thing we can do is leave feedback to better the game. The core game was there a year ago, the improvements are within the characters (a huge amount more now), more quests, more skills etc.. As for progress, I believe they are working on other areas, but I am not sure on that.

The biggest concern with this game is the RNG, so weapons have different stats, depending on the rarity Grey with 1 -> legend with 5, Those stats can be anything. So you are aiming to get a decent weapon with the right stats for its type, +damage +mag size etc...

However the more people you play with, the more that RNG diversity goes out the window since you can give each other resources to craft weapons and traps for you. The only REAL problem for you are heroes/survivors
There are 64 total survivor slots that effect your stats. You could work with having 0 weapons (if you know people) but you need decent survivors.. eventually.

The game is fun, its different and a good co-op game. I play with my children and some buddies. The only bad thing is the first area communication is lackluster, people don't talk, they don't communicate. The higher level area things change when the enemies get a lot harder. The game also throws heroes and survivors at you as you play the game.

Equate fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 24, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

The game got really good for me on leaving Stonewall. It helped that the last mission there was just me and one other guy, but we put down traps and built proper walls and then we actually needed them, it was way more fun than just going out and shooting the spawns as I was always able to do before. The gimmick of lots of ranged enemies and there's a gently caress-off tall rocket to protect was a fun little switch up, I hope the devs add more things like that in the future.

Actually losing missions now, it's much more fun to have to build and think a little.

Yep, the game gets harder past the first area.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I have not invested any xp into traps, are there some good ones I should really consider putting points into it?

The best bang for your buck in terms of damage,durability, and cost are wooden spike traps. They also slow enemies down.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That's good to hear, I'm about 6/10 at the first area and you basically never need traps. I do need to re-think how I lay them out though. In my mind the zombies are going to work exactly like they do in orcs must die so I built a long path full of traps for the zombies to path through but they just end up attacking the low walls and completely ruining my well laid plan. Bastards.

Eventually the storm moves on its own, plus different kinds of enemies show up and the game gets interesting with different element enemies that blow up certain walls easier, plus the amount of enemies increase. Like I said if you have any questions about the game I am in the world of tanks discord just sitting here. I can also help with base design and your OD's.

Also servers are currently down due to them trying to scale up their servers, they broke it. Currently TBD on them fixing it.

Equate fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 25, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

What about the RED SKULL icon on the minimap that is like a storm/blackhole that damages you? is that anything special?

That is something new from the last test, as of right now all I know is if you get close it will drain your stamina. other than that, no clue. I didn't get very far in the last test due to reasons.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

explosivo posted:

This should go without saying but, uh, don't check the official forum for status updates. :stare:

Lots of pissed off people, twitter is the best source of their news atm.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Fallout posted:

What's an effective layout for funneling them into a big trap killzone? I was really into games like Sanctum and Orcs Must Die and want to utilize traps more, especially for my storm defenses.

Each zone is unique. It also depends where you plant the shield extenders. The best way to block spawns is to overbuild an area and zone them in. The best way to build a block is following this setup -> Wall, Floor, Stairs, Wall. you utilize this in the direction you are blocking. You leave the wall as a full wall, the floor you eliminate two of the tiles so it creates a mini wall, stairs, then full wall. This essentially gives 3 barriers per tile. I count the 2nd wall as apart of another tile. You can join other people's outpost defense missions (OD's) in order to learn where the enemy spawns. Figuring out the spawns you can funnel them down one path and just build traps leading to the outpost or the extenders.

You can also add stairs along a path, so it looks like this |/| That will force all the monsters to path under the stairs, you can also build small 2 tile mini walls to path them left and right.

My recommendation though, is this game is pay to progress at the moment. If you do decide to purchase the game, start off with the standard ( you can always upgrade later ). Play for 20-30 hours, if you like the game and what to throw more money at it, then do so. The game does give you higher tiered heroes/weapons/schematics etc.. but its spread out throughout the levels.

ALSO, you can shoot the skull from the lobbers :}

Equate fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 25, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

General Morden posted:

anybody have a discount thing

want to buy this game

Like I said, I have a few standard editions for 25 just hit me up on PM's.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Go with the standard, if you want more upgrade. You pay the difference between the packs anyhow. Come join me in the world of tanks goon discord server, for some reason I keep saying mumble.. Look for Bart.

I have one more standard to go for 25$ please send me a PM.

Equate fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 25, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

m.hache posted:

So your home base is persistent, but can you play with a friend and build up the same home base? Or can you only bring them in to help with quests.

So there is an outpost on each map, 4 maps = 4 outposts. You do not share outposts, but you can help build each others outpost.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

It's this one. They got asked about shared bases in the AMA and they liked the idea, but it's probably a ways out if ever.

Something about PVP in january with guilds etc...

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I have used far too much wood and stone to turn back now.

haha nice! Last closed test I had inverted pyramids everywhere, because why not. I was touching the top of the dome with an upside pyramid on everything, huge waste of resources but its fun. I will definitely build a maze to trap people in one day :], ha I didn't see the discord in the OP. I'll be there.

Equate fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So question about editions. The deluxe edition says it has a rare 8 hero starter pack. Does that mean the standard edition doesn't come with heros to play as or something?

So the standard only comes with what it says it comes with. The deluxe comes with 8 rare (blue), the limited comes with 2 legendary (yellow), the ultimate (which you don't see) comes with all available legendary heroes offered in limited.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Akumos posted:

I'm curious, if I buy a free gift pack off of someone else, can I upgrade that gifted pack? Would at least save me some money if I want a higher pack. If anyone wants to sell a key for $20 I might be interested, I see $15-20 is the current price on epicnpc and other third party sites, but I'd rather have someone more trustworthy. PM me on Discord Akumos#9076

Yes, you pay the difference in purchase price. I have sold all of my packs unfortunately, (I had 4 from ultimate), good luck getting one!

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

You also have to take into consideration there is an edition past limited, the ultimate edition. Try to find a standard edition from someone who has bought the limited (they get two)/ultimate (they get 4). You can always upgrade later if you like the game.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So when it turns night time and music gets all spoooooky and stuff but nothing really comes of it. After the first few missions do monsters spawn at night or something? Also how do you allow people to build in your home base

The night just means the storm is near, or you are within the area of the storm spawn with tendrils. I recommend turning music off. Why? Vaults and Loot Chests have specific sounds to them, they sound like glittery fairies with bell shoes dancing together on a fishing pole, don't ask just go with it. I am talking about peter pan sized fairies, not when tink goes all big in Hook, but when she is trapped within a lamp. Also, not just one fairy, but a multitude, it is like a fairy ball, with a symphony of fairies playing Bach and Beethoven, all of them dancing in unison, but something happens and it becomes a jumbled mess of sound, due to their bell shoes of course. It is easier to hear this with the music off.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I reached level 19 without really putting in much effort, not sure exactly how that works. I get 70 fortitude from my squads and have 107 overall so that seems to make the biggest difference.

I've got so many different heroes but I don't really want to get rid of any because they seem like they might be valuable. Actually I usually have way too many blueprints/survivors/etc and it's hard to decide what to dispose of.

That was a problem for me also the - viability of can heroes. You don't really know which one to keep and which to get rid of. Keep heroes that correspond with weapon types you want to play, such as soldier for assault rifles, outlander with pistol damage buffs, ninja with edged, constructor with blunt as a few examples. The increase in damage the heroes have will have a significant impact and improvement on the damage you do.and gameplay. I go from 300 headshot damage on my constructor to over 650 when playing a soldier. A lot of you will hit a wall toward the end of plankerton, the way to bypass this is to team up with decently leveled players around your level, increase skills, increase your research, and of course survivors. Poke goons on discord to see which weapons they have available. I recommend using legendary weapons due to the increased durability, but only if you can sustain it. As you progress you use up a poo poo ton more ammo, so start thinking about using traps in missions, don't hord it, use it.

Also play with others, there are picks in the research tree that are party skills, that increase party stats.

Equate fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 31, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Skandranon posted:

code:
           \ < ramp to angle them away and start the cycle over again
           | < wall electric thing
husk->  _ _| < wall darts 
        ^ ^ spring up trap
        | spikes of some sort

I don't know how well that ramp works, I know it works well 1 story up, but 2? I never tested with two.

This is also from the developers.

Homebase Power is key

Unlock survivor slots - Survivor Squads account for the majority of your Homebase power. Make sure to slot matching leaders to squad, and then personalities to leaders when you can.
Level Up Uncommon (green) Survivors - They are an efficient way to gain power in Plankerton. Most of the XP is returned when you retire them. You need to spend survivor XP to gain power, don’t horde!
Slot and level up your Support and Tactical Heroes - These Heroes share their stats to the primary hero and provide significant boosts to health, shields, and ability damage. Even Uncommon Heroes are huge wins here.
Research provides power over time - Make sure to gather this every day and upgrade the F.O.R.T. stats and unlock Survivor slots.
Play missions for Drops of Rain and Survivor XP. You’ll need Drops of Rain for evolution, and you’ll need lots of Survivor XP to level all those Leads and Survivors.
Team up with others - Teaming up provides big boosts to Homebase power. A portion of your F.O.R.T. stats are shared with each party member.

How to pick appropriate difficulty missions

Your level for combat is based on three numbers - Homebase Power, Hero Power, Weapon Power - When all these match and you play a matching difficulty you will be on level for game.
If one of those numbers is below focus on improving that area.
What happens if you are off level? You need more bullets, you are more squishy, you build more to slow husks down, generally the game feels more grindy.
F.O.R.T. Stats Explained
Fortitude - Improves health. If you are getting killed too fast you may not have enough Fortitude.
Offense - Improves weapon damage, both melee and ranged. If it takes too long to kill husks, focus on Offense.
Resistance - Improves shield and shield regen. Best way to improve your survivability for quick moving players.
Tech - Improves ability damage, and traps. Key for Ninja’s skills, and players who use lots of traps.
F.O.R.T. stats are improved through Survivor Squads, Skill Tree, and Reasearch Tree. They are the primary driver of Homebase power.

Getting More Stuff

Mission Alerts - You may have noticed some zones with a little clock on them. These have better rewards that can be collected up to three times per day. Watch for these, they have Drops of Rain, XP, Schematics, and V-bucks in rare cases.
Dailies - You get one daily per day, you can have up three, and can abandon one per day and get a new one.
Quests - Look at the Quest Journal, there are quests that provide V-Bucks, Heroes, Schematics, Leads, and Survivors. Do these quests to help unlock things you need. As we iterate we’ll be adding more quests.
Expeditions - Send your extra Heroes out to find Survivors, rewards of these still require more balance, as a passive reward they provide a steady drip of Survivors.
Llamas - Purchased with V-Bucks, Earned from Outpost Defenses (Help a friend!), given as daily rewards either from the Founders Pack or from the Daily Reward progression.
Transform keys - Combine commons, and uncommons to get rares. When you’re ready start combining Survivors to get ones you need.
Sincerely we are here together with you and want these systems to be awesome. Change will happen. Feedback is always appreciated and we are reading it!

Thank you

Darren and Zak

Equate fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

What will work though, is pushing them on different levels, then up higher.. that I have done before.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm just about to 3 star my Bearcat autoshotty.. thing OWNS!

I'd recommend it big time.

Careful, the 3 star requires canney level materials.. just fyi

Bussamove posted:

On the shotgun front, I just pulled an epic Shredder from a llama. I love the idea of a longer range shotgun, anyone have experience with them before I start grinding for experience and dumping it in there?

the long range shotgun is a blast

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

I get that the Power level is kind of vague, people can be good players or build loads of traps and stuff to level it out, but some out there are taking the mick. Did a level 28 mission, me at 22, and it grouped me up with a level 17 and a level 4.

We did, just about, win but it was stressful as gently caress running between those 2 ATLUS blocks. Had to build a walkway between them and at the end both were in the red.

The total power level of your 4 man group is located at the top left. When you enter a mission and go into the menu screen, go into squads and look at your attributes. They are increased based upon a portion of the combined attributes of your party members in the mission.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Someone made this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWt-LgADVmRdQnS9OomDFqjqXQT7wyyPA1unctnaPHM/copy?usp=sharing

It has all the information about the game that you need.
From "actual" DPS calculators to all collection rewards in one thing.

Take a look at it, it should be great information for old and new players.

Edit: For most of you only the calculator tab is of any benefit.

Equate fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 16, 2017

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

I'll say that the tier lists and, well, essentially all the analysis* is utter garbage. The raw data is pretty useful, though.

*How do you correctly put together a true DPS evaluation, but still evaluate weapons based on the in-game displayed DPS? How do you fail to recognize that the only four husk types that are a real threat to mission completion are all single targets, not swarms? Why would you claim that a class that gimmicks around a low uptime buff is top tier, when other classes have passives that contribute more group DPS and also have other benefits?

EDIT: I know it's just something you found, and not your own views.

Yeah that is why the actual was in quotes, a lot of that is what he thinks about it, the raw data is very nice to have. i also don't agree with some of his pics but its pers. preference. I think the dragon ninja is probably the best one out there, and I concur with the head-shot soldier as top tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

M2tt posted:

I guess the cooldown determines how useful it actually is, but unlimited* rocket launchers would be awesome on the later SSDs to regain some breathing room. I burned through 10 of them on plank 9 and would have gladly taken 10 more. Granted some of those were used to bounce flingers off of cliffs since getting into melee range would have just been suicide, but when you have to kill 1000 mobs to progress taking them out en masse is a good thing.

Plank OD 9 doesn't sound fun

• Locked thread