Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

So what options for buying llamas are there? Someone mentioned an 11 for the price of 10 deal somewhere. Is that on a time based rotation like the specialty llamas? Are the specialty llamas sold in 3-packs, or are they 350 coins for a single llama?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

So the game has guaranteed legendary packs, occasionally. Looks like at normal price they take a full month worth of daily mission income. They automatically level up to gold, so don't freak out when it happens. Seems like a good epic rate inside of them, also. I'm a little curious if you could get more epics from 15 standard llamas, but it's probably better to grab the guaranteed legendary (or two). Ranged weapons today. Came with 100 founders coins, so it's the correct choice on that perspective, too.

EDIT: Also, some alerts give store currency as well. Depending on if there's an alert per day cap or just bugs (I don't see any alert rewards after doing two alerts) it may be worth avoiding alerts unless they give currency.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Jul 27, 2017 around 00:17

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Carecat posted:

I am concerned reading about how bad the grind gets late game. Your supply of llamas, vbucks and skill points dries up and it costs a huge amount to upgrade all your survivor slots for better stats. You need to retire/recycle a lot of stuff or open a lot of llamas to get the manuals needed to evolve and buckets of XP.

So your end game has a lower arbitrary number next to it than someone else, oh well. I'm talking about mission difficulty, by the way. Trying to run the hardest missions with really bad RNG luck would be maddening.

If that affects your enjoyment of the core gameplay loop then you probably want to give anything with the free to play model a miss. If you're okay with your personal end-game being 35%-70% of the way through endlessly repeated content stretched together with two or three lines of dialogue then the guaranteed legendary pulls do a hell of lot to make this a very friendly F2P structure compared to some other games.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Trying to build those radar towers actually helps you learn the different poo poo you can make, still not worth it but fun to do once or twice.

Radar towers cost 300-400 resources and give about 200 per player. So in theory they're a decent way to get materials if people actually loot their reward boxes. Also if you're not playing Pathfinder Jess you can't just magically see every lootable all the time and immediately Kool-Aid Man your way through walls to grab the good ones. But not playing Pathfinder Jess seems like one of those fate worse than death things so I'm going to be real sad when I eventually pull epic/legendary heroes and they're not her.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Raged posted:

I would really like the game, but this is the only place on the internet that isn't complaining about how it is seemingly impossible to level up and upgrade once you hit a certain point without dropping a bunch of cash.

From what I am reading once you hit a point a certain currency just stops appearing and the only way to level/upgrade is severely time gated. Have any of you guys hit that point?

It's a micro-transaction based gacha game from the worst depths of mobile monetization hell. It's a given that there's going to be a grind/pay/time gate. If you know how all the game systems work, are lucky, or are good you can push it back a little further but it's always going to be lurking back there. If that bothers you, you should give the entire monetization scheme a miss. That said the game is the only attempt at a PvE Rust that's been made so far. I'm both ok with repeating the same content over again, and am interested enough in a PvE Rust that I'm having fun.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo, is this an accident or will this still be there tonight?

It's intentional, it's a new choice on the loot tab for a 0 cost "thanks for believing in Fortnite" reward. It's limited time, but probably not less than 24 hours limited.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

M2tt posted:

Transforming things also gives you schematic/survivor/whatever xp at the same rate of recycling or retiring, but at the cost of research (500 for a rare) or the people resource (140?). One time use transform recipes seem to take drops of rain and I assume higher evolve mats later on. So it's up to you if getting a new random rare is worth losing 5 hours or so of research progress.

There are nodes in the tier 2 research tree that let you narrow down the results to an assault rifle/axe/whatever, and some that let you transform heroes, but I haven't unlocked those yet so I don't know what they cost.

For what it's worth I still trash all my greys, the cost of getting it up to a rare that is probably another dupe just isn't worth it. I tend to hang on to greens a bit longer just in case.

Oh man. Thank you for mentioning this. I had noticed that you could slowly transform your way up to rares (so you can salvage for training manuals, weapon designs, and trap designs) but thought you had to pay the experience. Knowing that you get the experience is really helpful.

EDIT: This is seriously huge if you're not planning to spend additional money. Knowing that training manuals (in particular) don't require a huge amount of extra grinding to accumulate means I'm no longer waiting on an epic/legendary hero before I start evolving what I have.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Jul 29, 2017 around 02:59

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

Shotguns are garbage and need a serious buff.

Shotguns trade all of their damage and range for stunning power and ease of supply. Whether you can figure out what targets to shoot at with those stats is up to you. (Hint, not regular husks.) Unless you're trying to talk poo poo about auto shotguns which are magical engines of death. They made the same trade as regular shotguns, but the got a refund on the damage because this is a gacha game at heart. Some pulls are better than others. (Why else are scope-less sniper rifles a thing?)

Veritas posted:

What heroes is everyone playing? I leveled a blue brawler ninja to level 20, and she's pretty fun and does good DPS. I also have a level 20 blue Powerbase builder, and i use him for shield defenses and to help friends. I do have an epic enforcer outlander (TEDDY spec) that sounds like it could be fun. Has anyone tried a TEDDY build?

TEDDY is weak in public games. In theory an outlander can gather 2 fragments, the team does Van part 1 and the outlander can sweep enemies clear twice. Then the team continues to gently caress around for a while to fortify for part 2 while the outlander gets another two fragments. In practice once your team is fortified for part 1, then part 2 is just a victory lap. I feel like that mission type should be changed so that part 1 is launching Lars and part 2 is launching some support. I don't know exactly, a cooler of snacks? That way mission success can be tied to an easy part 1 and one or two chest upgrades can be tied to a hard-rear end part 2.

Buuuut. None of that really matters because outlanders are the best class even without bringing any non-selfish tools. Do you want to teleport through walls to grab the chest your teammates don't even know is there before they can beat you to it? Do you want to Kool-Aid Man your way through rare resource deposits and high metal objects to collect them without slowing down? Outlanders are all about that. And sometimes you give out a few trinkets when people are complaining about how they never have enough gizmos, powercells, ore, nuts and bolts, or any other rubbish you routinely throw out of your pack. And they mistake your action for generosity. They don't know the truth. They're only poor because you and the other outlanders and taking everything of value before they can even round the corner to see it was there.

(And then throwing it away when they aren't looking because SERIOUSLY backpacks fill up quickly no matter how much room you have unlocked.)

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Can anyone tell me where the hell to find Teddy Bears and Server Racks? I can't find them, even after tearing up several entire suburbs.

Server racks are rare. It took me, I think, 3 days to finish off a server rack daily. One of the possible buildings is an unremarkable patch of concrete with a deep bunker underneath. One of the rooms in the bunker will contain a single server rack. The bunker entrance isn't particularly remarkable, so it's not like you can quickly scan a map the same way you can search for Fire Stations or Hospitals.

Basically I'm saying that if you get the server rack daily you use your quest reroll on it.

Teddy bears should be in house bedrooms? I know I've seen them, but I don't have any idea how common or uncommon they are.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I do actually think that far too many people are putting far too much emphasis on weapons and not nearly enough on decent fort design and traps.

I've built mission forts with friends that, save for fighting off the big bads, we probably could have just babysat and watched. Traps are good. But you have to use them smartly.

One of my favorite designs is a gauntlet tunnel with spike floors (to slow them down) wall darts on both sides and a launcher on the end wall. They run through this thing only to make it to the end and get pushed right back through it again.

Edit:. On that same thought, take 10-15 minutes and look at how the AI decides to path on YouTube or whatever. Essentially they're looking for the easiest way in via total wall health between them and the objective. So if you reinforce the crap out of everything and then leave a wall (such as the one I mentioned with the wall trap) only upgraded once, or without extra walls behind it, they'll funnel into there.

Traps require you to level an additional schematic, and an additional FORT stat. If you're good you can get by with Offense and a gun. And shooting is for everyone but the trap building, while trap building is fun for no-one but the trap building. Stand on the firing line and shoot! The buildings will be your HP stat. (You also save SO MUCH TIME when the only resources you have to replenish are wood and metal. Seriously every mission can be finished in a day while remaining resource positive.)

You're not wrong. But at the same time people can engage with the game in a spectrum from trap mazes to blockhouses.

Saxophone posted:

I really like the game, though I do see two fairly major hurdles.

1) To evolve your heroes and survivors you need training manual that seem to only come from retiring heroes and survivors of rare quality and up. The primary source for rare and up heroes and survivors is through llama drops. So if you plan on having more than one hero leveled up and current, it's gonna be painful if they don't add a way to farm/acquire them elsewhere. I've seen a suggestion floated that you could trade in so many water drops or lightning bottles for them, or just make them via transform.

2) Actual weapon drops are rare and frequently very underleveled for the content they drop in. They also come very damaged to boot. The weapon schematic RNG situation would be much easier to swallow if you could find decent weapons in decent shapes from maps. This would also serve to keep players from feeling like they're stuck with a single weapon type because "well, it's my legendary". They'd feel more like a cool thing to use up than instant recycle material.

On weapon drops, if you want to play with scavenged guns then you probably need to be an outlander who has Keen Eyes. Also, they're not underleveled for the content they're in. It's just "appropriately leveled" equipment as the devs envisioned it all feels like poo poo. A blue 17 melee weapon in a level 19 zone sucks to use, but it's level appropriate for a party of 4 to be using level 17 guns. A level 15 isn't balanced against four level 15 players, which is why level 15 missions stop giving full commander experience long before you hit power level 15. Honestly though, they're fine for just killing the occasional group of husks that wake up while you're tearing up the landscape.

You already can make training manuals from nothing. Step by grindy time-gated step.
1A: You need a source of raw materials. Mini Llamas from helping out storm shield defenses are the best source. This will also help you with alternate step 1B.
2A: Open those mini llamas when you're low on raw materials, otherwise just leave the tokens in storage. Your inventory is not unlimited, but your storage for llama tokens is.
OR
1B: You need a source of raw materials. Level up spare green quality heroes to level 20.
2B: Send your extra heros on expeditions that reward survivor caches. This will give you a drip feed of green and white quality survivors.
THEN
3: Run Rescue the Survivors* missions all the time.
4: Combine 4 white quality survivors into one green survivor. Repeat this until you have 5 green survivors.
5: Combine 5 green quality survivors into one blue survivor.

Trap Designs and Weapon designs are a whole lot worse to make, because they fuse based on research points instead of a farmable resource. And because there's not a constant dripfeed of low level schematics available, so you have to transform survivors into white quality weapons and traps. But in practice a true F2P account would only need one gun while they'll need one hero and, at a minimum, 16 survivors to even the stats gap against whales enough.

*These missions get hard to perfect as mission level increases. There are more enemy groups and patrols that are unattached to the combat related survivors, but will happily join in when the fighting starts. If you're not confident in your weapons then nobody is going to mind if you stick near them. I can reliably solo the Defend the Drone group events and I still appreciate an extra gun for saving survivors.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

The inverted pyramid looks neat, but you sacrifice a wall trap.

It did just give me an idea for a pattern to keep mobs looping around while walking headfirst into wall darts... hmmm....

code:
           \ < ramp to angle them away and start the cycle over again
           | < wall electric thing
husk->  _ _| < wall darts 
        ^ ^ spring up trap
        | spikes of some sort

The electric trap will never hit anything. Traps have an arming delay so you can't launcher mobs past a wall of death.

EDIT: Actually, the game says arming delay is something different. It's worth testing then.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Going back to base chat for a moment. This is your reminder that pyramids, while stylish, were only good because of an AI exploit that has since been patched. Don't give husks a route up to your roof unless you've got layered, upgraded roofs and foot-pathways between them to repair everything. Actually, that sounds like a lot of wasted materials. Don't build pyramids unless you're overleveled for the content.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Counterpoint: Build nothing but pyramids as monuments to your new god, the storm Lars' van.

If you're over-leveled and religious you may build pyramids. If you religious but not over-leveled the van will forgive a little effectiveness as you grow stronger. The storm never forgives. Not even the sin of piety. Best to build nothing at all in that case.

EDIT: Clicky. There's nothing quite like when the game disagrees strongly with your choice of next amplifier placement. (Valid choices are blue shadowed amplifiers.) Yes I know that amplifier is going to have husks dropping from the cliff above. So will the only valid "choice" I have of amplifier locations.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Jul 31, 2017 around 23:29

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Huh. Did anyone else know that the different materials repair at different speeds? How about that tier 3 versions of stone and metal repair slower than the tier 2 versions? Tier 3 metal actually repairs slower than the tier 1 version. At my current repair rates (+90%), tier 3 metal heals 7 HP every tick while tier 3 wood heals an astounding 20 HP every tick.

EDIT: So far all my testing is on low walls. Hopefully building shape doesn't change things up too crazily.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

code:
Husks break in here.
     v  _
     _i/ \i_
___i/       \i___
That's an expensive construction for a single trap (that you have to place 25 times!) and one and one third walls worth of defense. That's a 7x7 structure. It requires 890 resources for a level 1 version. Or 5,340 to reinforce everything to level 3. (Literally not counting the floor traps around your base because they're not reliant on the pyramid to work.)

By comparison, a conventional bunker with roof, and a surrounding ring of low walls will require 460 resources for a level 1 version. 90 of those resources will be low priority roof pieces. So a level 3 version will cost 2,220 resources, plus 90 for a level 1 roof. If you're really worried about your roof you can double layer it with level 1s, for a total cost of 2,400 resources. Still coming in at 1/2 cost compared to the pyramid.

The entire logistical advantage of the pyramid shape is that your four corners also act as roofs. The inherent disadvantage of a pyramid is that every piece must be equally reinforced to provide uniform protection. But roofs don't need to be as strong as your main walls, because lobbers can be aggroed and their attention redirected to the strong parts of your base. And flingers don't seem to toss husky husks, so nothing worth worrying about is going to end up on your roof unless you build stairs or ramps up there.

As for tactical advantages? Having cover and trap opportunities outweigh clear lines of sight 100% of the time once you're at the level where husks are actually dangerous.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

But your bunker is so ugly.

Style is a perfectly valid reason to build pyramids, as I acknowledged before. Own your reason. Don't try to wishful think the pyramid into an effective design when it's not.

ADDING: I understand style. Whenever possible I've avoided destroying any trees, bushes, or rocks for my Plankerton base, instead building my forts around them. It's definitely reduced the effectiveness of my base, but it looks (to me) absolutely great to be blasting husks as they shamble out of the surrounding swampland.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Aug 1, 2017 around 18:41

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Tei posted:

Half the game is designed to stop the poopsoockers from poopsoocking. Like.. oops, theres no missions of the type I like, better stop playing. Oh, I don't get almost any XP from missions, or any other meaningful reward at all.

But tryiing to stop the poopsoockers from poopsoocking is like walking in the rain without getting wet. Poopsoockers going to play long hours, mine that meaningless mission rewards and pitance of XP into a few level unlocks and progression. Is just dumb to try to stop them this way. Poopsookers don't care if your monetization strategy is people paying to the game but not playing it, so the server bill is low.

Citation needed.

I'm reasonably certain that no monetization researcher in the world is trying to reduce player engagement over something as trivial as server bills. Do casino owners try to get gamblers to step outside and get some fresh air? Or do they build cheap restaurants within earshot of the jingle jangle of slot machines?

Don't give a free to play game a single ounce of good will or the benefit of the doubt.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

BadLlama posted:

What are keys? I have not seen anything that looks like a key yet.

Some alert missions give out "transform keys" which are almost totally useless unless they're purple quality or better. They're certainly not worth going out of your way for.

In the skill and research trees you can unlock "transformation." Like most of the monetization this is lifted straight from phone games. You can turn 4 whites of an item class into a green, 5 greens into a blue, 5 blues into a purple, or 5 purples into a gold for a variable cost depending on what you're making and whether you're using the unlimited use keys you unlock or the single use keys from the alert missions. And that variable cost is why alert keys aren't totally worthless. They change the cost from "people" (farmable) or research points (time gated) to something else. I've accidentally grabbed an alert reward key that uses drops of rain (questionable value) and gotten the legendary survivor key from the storyline that uses training manuals (completely useless except for super whales). Oh yeah, the unlimited use keys only go up to blue quality, which is why purple and better keys are, in theory, of value.

You can transform across categories. But aside from the pairs of weapons/lead survivors and traps/defenders you lose transform value whenever you do this.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Survivors the quick and easy way. It might help to think of survivors as your armor and accessories in other RPGs, if you're familiar with that way of thinking.

Match lead survivors to the correct job. There are some edge cases, but I can guarantee that they don't apply to you if you need a guide on survivors.

Offense squads are the most important. Your guns, blades, and tools are your bread, butter, fruits, vegetables, and meats of the food pyramid. They get stronger the more offense you have. You can take cover to survive without strong life totals, and you can let someone else place your traps if you don't have strong tech, but you're always carrying a weapon and only you can swing or fire it.

Put your rarest survivors in offense squads. Your offense stat pretty strongly corresponds to the highest difficulty you're useful in.

Both personality and bonuses are probably insignificant in the long run. Personality appears to be a flat bonus of 2-3 points based on the rarity of the survivor. Legendary survivors might give more of a personality bonus, but probably not enough to care. Super high evolution levels might give more of a bonus, but probably not at all. Bonuses are not multiplicative. The health bonus is literally +5 fortitude. The shield bonus is worth +5 resistance for max shield, but it doesn't increase regen speed. The damage bonuses are worth +5 offense, but they only work on one weapon type. For comparison, using blue survivors at level 10 I have 237 offense. Matching the personality of all 5 of my unlocked survivors would be worth 15 offense, literally less than evolving one to 2 star and level them to 20. The only bonus that matters right now is trap durability. And even that isn't very good.

Level your survivors in the offense squads to 10 before you do anything else. 10 is a good stopping point, because going further costs evolution materials and future levels represent a much larger investment of time.

Possible problems:

I try to take cover but I die instantly when I pop out to shoot! Ghosts kill me in a single charge. You need to increase the levels and/or rarities of your Fortitude and Resistance survivors. Short term you should try pulling survivors from your offense squads, but be warned that the lower damage you have might make things worse. Try to keep your Fortitude and Resistance stats about equal. You regenerate the last 1/3 of your health bar, and your shield is about 1/3 as strong as your health. Not exactly but close enough. Put this off as long as the missions are still fun, because the further in the game you are the faster it is to collect experience. Procrastinating means you spend longer grinding the same thing in a row, but less time grinding over all.

My damage skills and traps feel like poo poo now! In an effort to increase required spending the developers split trap and ability damage into a fourth stat. Short term you should try pulling survivors from your offense squads, but be warned that the lower weapon damage you have might make things worse. Put this off as long as your skills and traps are still fun to use, because the further in the game you are the faster it is to collect experience. Procrastinating means you spend longer grinding the same thing in a row, but less time grinding over all. There are also skills and traps that don't require tech to be strong. Floor spikes still slow, launchers launch, wall lights stun, and any buff based skills still do their job. It's only damage that requires tech stats.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2017 around 20:41

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Basically expeditions exist only to turn the "people" resource into white/green survivors.

And blues. You can pull blue survivors from expeditions.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Arsonide posted:

I only minded it once I hit mid-Plankerton, and suddenly I could not advance past Fort Level 20, and the response of the community was "use transform keys!" Those cost over 400 people to transform a rare. I get 9 people a mission, and it costs 15 people to send off an expedition. The grind is ridiculous. I have a job and a wife to tend to, I don't have time to grind that hard, which sucks because yes, the gameplay is so good.

/review/rant

The advice for you, and anyone like you, and literally anyone in fact, is to play the last difficulty of missions that were still fun. And if you don't have fun doing those even without progression than learn that the entire F2P monetization scheme is not for you. What you should not do is start dropping money on the game to try and get past the wall. Because that wall is always there, getting steeping and more fortified as the game gets harder.

ADDED: And definitely not in a snob "this is for betters" meaning. The monetization scheme is predatory. Being prey of any kind for it is a bad thing. Some people who can play the same level a million times and still have fun are resistant to the monetization scheme and can dip their toes in for quite a while, but a lot of people just don't enjoy that and their time is better spent elsewhere.

ADDED, DIFFERENT TOPIC: So important information for anyone still playing this bad game. Damage % on weapons and traps is probably the worst roll possible because it's not an increase TO your base damage, it's an increase FROM your base damage. AKA 40% damage on your weapon is worth 40 offense points.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Aug 4, 2017 around 13:19

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

I bought the pack, and ended up with two gold llamas out of the deal. And a few traps I was missing. I'm pretty happy about it. If you have plenty of scratch I would grab one.

Congratulations. For every you, 3 other people bought the pack and got a single gold llama. 6 people bought the bundle and didn't get any gold llamas.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Anti-material charge is an awesome skill and bringing a green hero from level 8 to 2* doesn't cost anything that you can't farm in a mission or two.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

sushibandit posted:

Elaborate, because I fail to see the difference between 40% and... 40%.

It's the difference between a multiplier like stacking critical chance and critical hit damage, and addition. And what's more, you're adding a tiny insignificant amount of offense. Half way through squad slot unlocks and level 10 survivors puts you at 250ish offense. Mid game offense is going to break a thousand without even trying.

Fortnite way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 4% more final damage.
Industry convention way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 40% more final damage.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

It's also useful for blowing up some types of things, as you do get the loot from them.

Working on leveling up my Legendary Founder Jess, she gets a lot of teleport stuff, which I think lets you teleport through walls to get chests, but less destructively.

Unless she gets a unique passive that changes Phase Shift, she doesn't. Because despite using things called "teleport charges" to activate the skill, Phase Shift is just a dash. I was incredibly disappointed when I finally unlocked it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do the enemies prefer open paths or will they just attack the nearest thing?

Until the exact mechanics are known, down to the weighting of each tile and HP, it's best to treat it as a mixture of both coupled with a bit of random weighting on spawn. They'll seek out weak points, especially as they develop. But there will also be half a dozen in every spawn pool that just hammer on a purely useless wall to destroy. Like literally useless, you can just watch them break it and then once they're done they'll join the same path every other husk was taking.

So you can funnel most of the husks with a purely open path as long as the rest of your walls are multiple layers thick. But there will still be the occasional husk that doesn't care about your plan, and when it's a smasher or a husky husk then you need to react and deal with it quickly before you have an unintended wide open path.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

I mean, I prefer a full floor so that you can get a trap on it to work for two wall's worth of HP, but yeah that's a solid design. It's actually material efficient compared to building another ring of defenses.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Level appropriate content versus slam dunk victories, I think? I just got matched with two other low 20s power level people into a level 40 mission. Our combined power level was 41, and it was actually a fun, engaging fight with defensive lines being breached. Traps that didn't act as a gib-wall but instead just finished off weakened enemies. We did the whole dissuasion walls + kill corridor strategy but we just didn't have the damage to keep the inner walls clear, and I think if we had run with solid walls, traps, and a willingness to rebuild mid-fight we would've snagged the HP bonus and the level 5 chest.

I mean, there's only so much you can do to defend the bomb launcher within an 85 build limit. But I don't think a 3-long trap corridor was worth giving up 2 layers of walls and the advantage of spreading incoming damage around.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

I'm going to kill myself trying to get 6 minutes done. No group is interested in finding the modules or defending the base. Its so frustrating

That's the first time you do Defend the Shelter missions? If you don't activate the diagnostics scan it won't start the raids.

ADDING: Like, on the whole I think that's actually a bad decision that makes what could be an interesting mission type into something bad. But public groups are going to do every side activity with no lasting reward whether the mission pressures them or not. So at least not activating the scan is a mercy in that it keeps incredibly bad players from throwing the mission.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2017 around 00:45

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Right. People are bad at new missions, especially because the game quarantines you with all the other people who haven't beaten a Defend the Shelter yet. My suggestion is to let your team know that starting the scan starts raids, and then patiently wait out their annoying tendency to loot their entire map for no gain. Take that time to build a solidly reinforced fort around the shelter. Then once they're done wasting everyone's time you can hopefully get a clean run in.

Option 2 is to ask global chat for help. Sometimes that works out.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

I feel like I'm starting to hit the grind getting my Plank base ready for SSD3. Maybe I'm way over preparing, but I'm trying to do death corridors, and the materials required for the sandwiches in between the corridors is pretty brutal. If I spend 10-15 minutes gathering for 999 in all mats, I can easily blow through that in 15 minutes of building.

And don't get me started on nuts and bolts. I think I end up with about 100 per farming run, but that's only about 10 traps.

You're way overbuilding, unless you're soloing. If that's what you want to do because you find building fun then go for it. But Plank 3 can still be handled with level 1 walls and a gun line. Plank 5 was the first defense I've actually had to sweat a little about possibly losing the bonus on, and that's because I duo'd it with another low-mid 20s guy (versus level 34 mobs). The last wave (and really, only that wave) both lasted long enough and was dense enough that the enemies (particularly the witches) were able to overcome the repair rates of level 3 walls.

Nuts and bolts are always a pain unless you like (or at minimum, can stand) repair the shelter missions. Every stealth cache that doesn't have an objective in it will drop 75 nuts and bolts. The troll bombs take a little longer to drop them.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Tei posted:

I am starting to think that The Wall is only perception. That they have paced the game wrong. You get used to gain a level after every mission. Then you get a level every 5 missions and think something is wrong. Imagine WoW or other mmorpg where after every dungeon you would gain a level. That would be consider too fast.

On PS4 another problem, for me, maybe for other people, is that you have to use the "find game" option, so you can't choose the mission you want. So I cant choose the same mission that gives water drops or hero xp, is pretty much random where I will end to.

I am pretty happy about the game. Theres huge swatches of game that are poorly designed and firm in the Anti-Fun squad, but it don't tarnish the core of the game, that is quite fun. If only getting the weapons you want where easier. If where possible to try other class to see how they feel. If the game had less "gently caress you player" moments. If ammo and traps where less scarce.

On my level you have to farm 1.5 games to have 1 good game with many traps and enough ammo for your favorite weapons.

YO. I'm in this same boat of progressing smoothly without grinding, but legendary weapon havers don't get to talk about how The Wall is just a figment of people's point of view and it doesn't really exist. The paywall is designed to get people to spend $$$ to roll a legendary weapon, and possibly legendary survivors and lots of chaff to recycle for an immediate leveling spree if they're of average shooter skill or didn't realize what things are important to spend their experience on. So, pretty much by definition we already lucked or paid our way past it, and it was easier for me as an early adopter because they had that early guaranteed legendary weapon llama.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

So apparently you can do really fucky things to the AI pathing if you, say, fortify one particular approach to a storm shield amplifier beyond all reason or sanity. The husks from that particular spawn point all NOPED right off and started attacking the defenses around my actual storm shield. I wish I knew if they could have damaged it, or if their pathing really concluded that it was better to smash through the storm shield's defenses, out the other side, walk across the map, and then attack the weak side of the amplifier.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Veritas posted:

Got an epic survivalist hawk. Thinking of leveling him up to 18 for his no durability damage perk, and using my legendary grenade launcher. Has anyone tried a similar build?

That sounds hilarious and fun. But also not actually very good. Don't let that stop you if you want to try it though.

See, the thing is that while AoE damage gets you showered with combat score, it's not actually very necessary to supply it with weapons. Anything small enough to be killed by "level appropriate" AoE suffers enormous damage penalties against walls and will vaporize on contact with traps, BASE-electrified walls, and harsh language.

So turning one of the only good single target skills into a long cool-down AoE seems impractical.

But gently caress practicality. Make some explosions and have everyone in your party think, "Man he's going HARD to carry us."

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Equate posted:

Someone made this.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...opy?usp=sharing

It has all the information about the game that you need.
From "actual" DPS calculators to all collection rewards in one thing.

Take a look at it, it should be great information for old and new players.

Edit: For most of you only the calculator tab is of any benefit.

I'll say that the tier lists and, well, essentially all the analysis* is utter garbage. The raw data is pretty useful, though.

*How do you correctly put together a true DPS evaluation, but still evaluate weapons based on the in-game displayed DPS? How do you fail to recognize that the only four husk types that are a real threat to mission completion are all single targets, not swarms? Why would you claim that a class that gimmicks around a low uptime buff is top tier, when other classes have passives that contribute more group DPS and also have other benefits?

EDIT: I know it's just something you found, and not your own views.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

All I want is a blue or better Pathfinder Jess, so every 'choice' type reward I pick Outlander if I can. I got 4 goddamn blue electricity guy outlanders and with the recent troll llamas got a legendary gunslinger dude which, while cool, I have no interest in after dumping all my exp on a purple soldier lady.

Why do you not want me to like you despite having fun inside you, game?

Blue Pathfinder Jess is a quest reward sometime in Plankerton.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Latest patch notes are hilarious to me. I guess the fucky DPS numbers on the schematics are caused by oversight/incompetence rather than actively trying to deceive players? I mean, the adage is to never assume maliciousness where incompetence can explain something, but uh. That's pretty incompetent at math for a mathematics adjacent career. I suspect that a wave of weapon re-balancing will occur at some point when they realize their DPS numbers don't account for reload times.

Relevant section:

Fortnite 1.4.7 Patch Notes posted:

Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects of War Cry combine multiplicatively (you deal increased damage, and you do so more often)

War Cry was not initially balanced with this in mind
War Cry has been rebalanced to account for multiplicative Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects

The new values (40% boost to rate of fire and final damage) work out to 96% more damage while the buff is up. Which since the old values were 50% suggests their balance team originally added the rate of fire and damage buffs.

Also the patch notes explain to me why everyone was going ga-ga over the Special Forces soldier when the intended math put her solidly middle tier. She was bugged to do 43% more damage than the intended values.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2017 around 18:06

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

There are a couple of things the game doesn't actually tell you about progression:

1) You can actually be successful in missions a decent bit higher than your personal home base rating. Not only do your stats increase when you join others due to everyone's party bonus stats, but a lot of people have higher rating weapons than are required for the missions. The rating of your hero, weapon, and base are all supposed to be equal, but won't be for a lot of people.

2) Leveling up with commander XP/skills is not the main way to increase your power outside a few key purchases. Survivors are. So you want to beeline all survivor unlocks with your skill points (especially leads you have a match for), but otherwise most skills add very little to your power.

To expand a bit more.

1) Power level is a meaningless arbitrary number that's based on a wonky formula that doesn't actually represent your ability to clear missions at all. Use it as a first estimate, and nothing more. For example, not all weapons are equally useful, a good weapon type with good perk rolls can have the same power level as a bad weapon type that was looted and has no perk rolls. Additionally, low level legendaries have vastly inflated power levels that are not accurately reflected in their actual damage.
2) Your base power level doesn't take your schematics or your hero into effect. It does assign a large value to points you've spent in the skill trees, even though points spent in the skill trees do nothing more than increase your potential to be strong.
3) The absolute most important factor in "what level missions can I contribute on" is your offense stat paired with the weapon you use. If you have low resistance and fortitude, build bunkers with windows to shoot out of, even if they're not part of the main fort's walls.

4) Even if power level worked, the "goal power level" is for a player to have a reasonable chance at soloing the mission. Add three other players are you should be able to handle much tougher content.

5) Tech is the weak stat. The highest tech in the party determines trap strength and healing strength. Your own tech only affects how strong your damaging abilities are.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Are you selecting missions around your level and allowing others to join? Because if so this will cause your power rating to go up and give you less XP for the mission unless you select something 20+ levels above your current power level.

This is not true. Your power rating has nothing to do with the experience you get from a mission. You have a commander experience level (that's hidden) that determines how much experience you get from a mission and how many skill points you gain when you level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Oh dear. Is Fortnite available in Japan or other countries with big boy laws covering consumer protection for gacha games? That schematic might never be tampered with.

(Probably not, the legal protections probably don't extend to non-citizens of the nations with those laws. But uh, that's stuff the dev team really shouldn't be letting through. I am not a lawyer.)

ADDED: Oh. After some investigation of my own (instead of 2nd hand information) the application of the law is considerably narrower than I was under the impression of. Yeah, that's a fun toy for now but all existing copies are probably going to be destroyed. (I wouldn't be surprised if the -% durability loss gets changed to +% durability.)

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2017 around 02:52

• Locked thread
«2 »