Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Fwiw, out of the 10 trap cards I've looted since patch, I haven't seen crit/dmg/chance or dmg% on launcher traps.

Also: my missile launcher is easily doing 3 times more damage since patch. Not sure why they didn't document this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Why are pyramids so popular anyway? I make them as well, but that's because I'm copying everyone rather than because I understand the reasons.

It's very solid while also keeping a clean view over the rest of the base/field. The roof is the weakest, so most husks will stand on top of it, allowing you to defend objectives from far away.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I've spent a but more on it, but I still enjoy the poo poo out of this game while nearly entering Twine Peaks. So far, mist complaints aren't relevant once you get halfway into Canny. Except the P2W element, of course. Even then though, if you're bad, not any amount of spending money is going to save you in most missions. People carrying your rich rear end however..

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

People can definitely spend past any challenge. The stat caps for each region are stupidly high. I've had a few mutant storm missions where Twine Peaks players are slumming it in Canny Valley at the stats cap and I can blow everything away with just their squad offense boosts. I can only imagine that if they weren't bad (because why else are they back in Canny?) they would be bored out of their minds. (They probably are bored out of their minds and are slumming it for the Drops of Rain, though. Because they mostly show up on double Drop of Rain missions.)

Basically, final gearing against end-game content is not going to be Ultra-violence difficulty shooting in a game targeted at whales.

That's a fair assessment. I go back to Plankerton sometimes if there's 1) double drop and 2) the storm reward scaled to 12 drops from 6. Seeing as Twine Peak storms only give 15 compared with 12 from Canny, you'd be pretty stupid not to go back to Canny for double Rain Drops to be honest.

As for difficulty vs whales, yeah you're right. My missile launcher does ~70% damage to a non-elemental charger in Plankerton, I could probably get that to 80-85% with slightly better squad members. If you stay in your own level it obviously won't be this high, but yeah you can probably outspend the difficulty curve. Repair The Shelter/4-storms with a bad base spawn are really, really loving hard in Twine Peaks though. But then again, even the cheaper whales (10k spent) probably have 4 times my stats in everything. Must be boring to basically one-shot nearly everything though. :shrug:

socialsecurity posted:

Was wondering if there was any interest in organizing a good 14 day lvl 40ish, I have mythic ramirez or legendary hotfix I can bring although my only great trap is floor spikes I can bring a shitton of mats.

I'd be up for that, PL 58 Powerbase currently. I live in EU though, so I'd probably only be able to join on a weekend.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 6, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

The news article I linked. "The rest comes from just 6 percent of the players – dubbed "whales" after the popular Las Vegas term – who spend $10 or more per month on mobile games."

Maybe I should have been more explicit about calling bullshit on that figure. Because it does come from a soft-balled news fluff piece that's trying to normalize the experience of being a whale.

DOUBLEPOST: Hahaha. So they changed how %damage mods on ranged weapons work back in patch 1.5, but they didn't patch note it. Specifically, right now the %damage mod on a ranged weapon is additive with the 10% damage mod for being a soldier, and the 24% assault rifle mod for non-kneecapper soldiers. Is this intended? The community can't tell, because it wasn't announced. (I'm actually totally unsurprised about the change, but not putting in the patch notes seems especially stupid.)

Yeah it's intended. One of their devs (I poo poo you not) realized it worked really loving stupidly on stream, on the promo stream for the 1.5 patch no less. "Coincidentally" it was fixed a bit later. Funnily enough, melee %dmg is still useless, just like traps (or any squad bonus for that matter iirc). Apart from trap durability squad bonus, I think.

E: As far as you can call it intended without getting a confirmation from Epic.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Anyone online to help with a CSSD6? 40+ is fine, need 2 more and ready to go. Global is fairly empty, but will edit in case I start.

E: Full.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 10, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Kylra posted:

The event ends tomorrow morning, so better hurry up if you wanna farm tix.

They've confirmed that the event won't end tomorrow, they'll give a warning ahead of time when it actually ends.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

It's entirely separate, no energy, health/shield are basically healrh/armor from other BR games. Weapons/schematics/heroes/whatever don't matter.

Tried a few games and it's actually a lot of fun. Sound is surprisingly accurate as well, including far away gun shots. Weapons do a ton of building damage, you can build on slopes as well (unlike PvE).

Oh and sniper rifles have bullet drop, which is cool.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Aww, makes me even more sad that I ended 2nd with 8 kills and 30 health left on the winner. :smith:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

While I don't have any numbers to back it up i'm assuming the player base was dropping fast and they threw something in to keep the game relevant for the console because PUBG isn't out yet. Honestly I have no faith in them making the PVE experience any better though.

1.6 brought a good amount of bug fixes for PvE, resulting in late(r) game to be more rewarding. Other than that, you didn't really get much for PvE, no.

That being said, it's pretty cool that they used (part of) the Unreal Tournament team to get this PvP mode on the ground properly from the start.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/early-access/feedback/62119-griefer-trolling-stalking-fckin_goon

Admit it, who was it? :laffo:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

video and post were both TLDR

what happen?

Standard ingame trolling + DreamShipWrecked's quote is pretty much it. :v:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Do you respawn if you die? Or do you just leave and go to another game?

Leave and go to another game.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Turd Herder posted:

The games on sale right now till the 19th. Is the Standard edition fine. Or is the deluxe edition make the quality of life better in game?

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/buy-now/standard

The deluxe edition starts you off with 8 rare heroes and some extra loot. In a nutahell this means the following:

-X extra llamas, more llamas = more RNG rolled items, like Diablo 3, except much slower to farm the F2P way (max 2 llamas per day with full F2P play).
-8 rare heroes. This basically means you'll have 2 heroes of each class. 2 different soldiers, 2 different constructors etc.. Meaning you can start playing what you might enjoy more, instead of starting with a basic soldier and hoping you get the right hero from a llama.

Personally, I'd buy the standard first, then upgrade if you like the game. That's how I did it anyway, worked fine.

Deluxe definitely gives a lot of decent items, but the longer you wait the less valuable it becomes.

No point in buying it if you already have all the heroes from F2P Llamas.

E: you start with 200 inventory space (different than in-game bags), which is 100% limited to special events like we got 20 inventory space on the first month anniversary. That and buying the more expensive game packs, like Deluxe, Super Deluxe etc..

And trust me, only having 200 inventory spots is pretty aids later on.

E2: Even heroes/survivors that you currently use take spots from your inventory. Just filling all your 8 squads with 8 survivors each already is 25% ofyour inventory. But again, I'd say get a feel for the game first, maybe upgrade later.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 18, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Can you group in BR yet? Legally I mean?

Squads are enabled as of today afaik, yes. Only 4-man squads though, they're waiting for a bigger playerbase until they enable duos, to not gently caress over both their queue times.

E: You can invite friends to your squad and if you don't have enough friends (online) you can decide to queue up and fill it up with pugs.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

In the PvE side of things you don't want to use a assault rifle because is a survival game and eat ammo too fast.

PUBG having more ammo around make assault rifles more desirable.

Eh, everyone uses ARs in Canny and higher. Sniper rifles/missile launchers as well, but not as often as they're more for specific scenarios.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

Of course they do. But because enemies stop dyiing in a reasonable timeframe. You need something, everything, to down them fast. I don't think my original comment is wrong. Canny and up is a balance issue.

Yeah, you're definitely right that it consumes a lot of ammo, most people don't care about that though. And to be fair, it's like 10 minutes of farming to get enough ammo for 5+ missions.

E: And yes, Canny and up are in a weird spot.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah there is good customizing but it’s slow and clunky as hell to use in Battleground. They need to make it much faster to scroll through or something and make them hotkey assignable.

They're the same in PvE, just practice a lot there if you bought the game. There's even maps specifically designed to teach you different shapes and to do them fast.

Like, I can build a custom shaped tower around/above you in the time you can empty an AR magazine. It's by far the best building system in any game I've ever seen, just gotta get some practice in. :)

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

A Huge and Awesome patch is incoming tomorrow . BR balance stuff, performance improvements for both BR and PvE.

And most importantly, Horde Bash tweaked into something good and to top it off: big buffs to player power scaling (in our favour).

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/1-7-1-patch-notes

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

You missed the fact that they added BattleEye in addition to their own anti-cheat tech.

I don't really know that one, is it significant?

cage-free egghead posted:

Can someone post the changelog? Curious to see what the changes are but I'm work :(

quote:

BATTLE ROYALE GETS STATS - 1.7.1 PATCH NOTES

By The Fortnite Team

The release of 1.7.1 improves overall game stability and adds quality-of-life improvements for both Save the World and Battle Royale players. In addition, we have re-enabled support for DirectX 10 hardware. This should also improve performance for low-spec PC players.

What are we doing about cheaters?

In this release, we’ve added a report button in-game which will allow players to swiftly report cheaters. What’s more, we released a blog last week detailing our current and future anti-cheat plans. Check it out here.

BattlEye has been added to our existing anti-cheat detection.

Stats

Fortnite Battle Royale stats make an appearance in this release! Stats will be backfilled for the launch of this new feature. Check out the Stats tab on the FNBR home screen.

We missed our initial release date for leaderboards, but we’re working to get them in as soon as possible.

Save the World - Hero & Monster Balance

Ability damage, health and shield values have been increased for all heroes! This change has little impact at lower levels, but provides a significant buff for players who have made notable progress in their Save the World campaign. Hero balance continues to be work in progress.

Beware, monsters have also received a slight buff to their health and damage at higher levels.

Challenge the Horde Progression

We have taken note of the widespread feedback regarding progression for the Challenge the Horde game mode, and have made a number of changes to accommodate. The farther along you are in the Save the World campaign, the farther along your Challenge the Horde journey begins. Veteran players will no longer have to replay lower difficulty content in order to reach a true challenge.

In addition, all challenges in the Tier 1, 2 and 3 zones will be automatically unlocked by default, making progress through these sections much quicker.

Dive into the full notes below and share your thoughts and feedback on the official Forums and Discord.

EA1.7.1 PATCH NOTES

GENERAL

BattlEye has been added to our existing anti-cheat detection

BATTLE ROYALE

GAMEPLAY

We have increased the travel movement of the Battle Bus and increased skydiving velocity in order to offer an alternative strategy to jumping out of the Bus at the first possible moment.
Increased Battle Bus movement speed by 50% (from 4000 to 6000).
Increased skydiving terminal velocity by 50% (from 4000 to 6000).
The final storm safe zone will now close completely instead of holding at a 10 cm radius.
Players can now search supply drops without interruption from storm damage.
Improved the pre-game warmup UI to indicate the server is “Waiting for players to connect” and “Battle Bus launching” when the lobby is full.
Fixed the glider occasionally not auto-deploying at the correct height.
Fixed an issue which caused Supply Drops to become stuck in the air after player-built structures beneath them were destroyed.

WEAPONS

Changes from the Live Update on Oct. 6:
Increased Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle damage by 50%.
This weapon was often passed up because of its lower damage. This increase will put it closer in line with its intended effectiveness.
Decreased Scoped Assault Rifle damage by 33%.
This weapon was too effective at its current role and needed to be scaled back slightly.
Decreased Grenade, Grenade Launcher, and Rocket Launcher environmental damage to 375 (was 450).
Metal forts will now require two explosive blasts (instead of one). Late-game bases are too easily destroyed and we want to promote building diversity.
Increased Rocket Launcher reload time by 20%.
It's a little too easy to spam rockets. We want the Rocket Launcher to be a powerful weapon, but it's a little too good right now.
Increased Submachine Gun damage by 10%.
The Submachine Gun is underperforming at close to medium range combat. This damage increase will improve its effectiveness slightly. We'll continue to keep an eye on it.
Renamed several weapons
Renamed 'Semi-Auto Rifle' to 'Assault Rifle (Burst).'
Renamed 'Semi-Auto Handgun' to 'Pistol.'
Renamed 'Semi-Auto Shotgun' to 'Tactical Shotgun.'
Fixed an issue which prevented explosive weapons from damaging Supply Drops.
Fixed a bug which caused the pump action shotgun to occasionally double-fire.
Fixed a bug which caused grenades to occasionally deal no damage.
Fixed an issue which caused bullet impact effects to only be being visible to players in the immediate vicinity.
Fixed an issue which caused the weapon reticle to disappear.

DUOS/SQUADS

Eliminations will now be awarded to the player who downs an enemy regardless of who finishes off that player in the DBNO (Down, But Not Out) state.
Increased health after being revived from the DBNO state.
Health increased from 25 to 30.
Shields will no longer protect you from damage while in the DBNO state.
You will keep any remaining shield if a teammate revives you.
Friendly fire damage will now display the appropriate visual hit effects.
Fixed squad’s finishing placement displaying the incorrect number in some cases.
Fixed an issue which caused tires to bounce DBNO players.
Fixed an issue which allowed traps to bounce players in the DBNO state.

UI

There is now a Report Player button on the end-of-match screen to report players.
Critical hit damage on shielded players is now displayed in blue, like other displayed shielded damage numbers.
The color of each player’s marker in a duo/squad are now consistent with everywhere they are displayed.
Player indicators on the minimap will now match the color the player was assigned instead of all players showing as a cyan color.
Changed the item drop icon on the Inventory screen from a trash can to a “drop arrow” to more clearly indicate its purpose.
You can now hold down ‘Shift’ before dragging an item to only drop one of that item.
Teammates will no longer show up as eliminated when they are loading into the map.
Fixed an issue which prevented eliminated players from entering text in the Send Feedback interface when using a controller.

WORLD

Added name labels to the map for existing locations.
Tomato Town
Dusty Depot
Salty Springs

Added a few structures near Tomato Town.
Added new potential chest & loot locations to the northernmost and southernmost wooden bridges over the river, as well as to Lonely Lodge and the container area to the west.
Fixed certain basements being blocked, which prevented access to underground treasure chests and loot.
Fixed issues which caused trees to float above the terrain.
Fixed some trees that previously could not be destroyed.
General bug fixes and improvements to the world.

PERFORMANCE

We’re continuously working on optimizing performance, and are actively investigating recent reports of lower frame rates in areas with dense foliage.

Fixed multiple issues which could cause a brief freeze in game.
Fixed a significant hitch that occurred when the last player was eliminated from the game.
Fixed a hitch which occurred after the Battle Bus skydiving phase completed.
Reduced hitching on PlayStation 4.

AUDIO

Addressed multiple issues which caused sound to only come out of the left or right speaker.
Moved Battle Bus ignition audio into pre-game warmup phase.
General mix adjustments.

SPECTATING

Fixed player directional hit indicators not visible while spectating

SAVE THE WORLD

GAMEPLAY

Challenge the Horde
Progression is now determined by the players progress in the Save the World campaign
If the player has finished Plankerton Outpost 3 in the Save the World campaign, then all of Stonewood and the first three Plankerton zones will be unlocked in Challenge the Horde mode.

Quests now have a minimum difficulty rather than a required one.
If a quests states: Complete “Challenge 3 in a rating 9 zone,” the challenge can now be completed in any zone 9 or higher rather than in a zone with 9 difficulty specifically.

When entering a Tier 1, 2 or 3 zone, all challenges within that zone are now unlocked by default.
This will make progressing through the mode quicker.

All Outlander fragments now respawn between horde waves.
All of the remaining existing fragments are removed and new fragments are spawned at potentially new locations.

Outlander Fragments were spawning too far away in Horde mode.
Now Outlanders should have more than enough time to gather fragments before each wave.

Fixed an issue that caused the evolution choice between Shadowshard and Obsidian to always default to the Obsidian evolution.
Fixed an issue which prevented players from storing multiple stacks of building resources and ammunition in their Storm Shield storage.
Players can now store multiple stacks of resources and ammunition in their storage again.
Fixed an issue that caused players with certain video cards to experience extreme saturation during night sections.
Fixed an issue which caused the Smasher to continue to charge for too long if it has broken a piece of the environment or a building and there is nothing to attack within a reasonable distance.
Fixed a bug which caused the amount of Fortitude, Offense, Resistance, and Tech shared between party members to be capped to a lower value than intended.
Updated Teleporter placement range by increasing starting Teleporter range to 15 tiles, and reducing each Teleporter range upgrade increase to 5 tiles.

HEROES
Fixed a bug which caused ‘TEDDY’ and Shock Towers to one-shot monsters at high level, and allowed them to be damaged by effects like bees and poison clouds.
‘TEDDY’ and Shock Tower now use the environmental object damage model rather than character damage model.
Increased the health of ‘TEDDY’, Shock Tower, and ‘BASE’.

Increased ability damage, health, and shield values on all heroes.
All of these values increase depending on the on rarity of hero
Increased by 10% every 5 levels, to a maximum of 30% for Uncommon up to 60% for Legendary
These values were previously scaling relative to weapons without alterations and were falling well behind the curve at high levels as a result.
No change at low levels, gradually scaling up with difficulty.
Hero abilities and gadgets will have greater impact on monsters at higher levels.
Weapons will deal more damage to monsters quicker at high level.

Adjusted enemy health and damage values as a result of the Hero scaling changes
No change at low levels.
Increases gradually with difficulty.
Monsters will damage players slighter slower at high level.
When using Bull Rush to charge at a charging Smasher, the ability will no longer be interrupted prematurely.

MISSIONS

Fixed an issue which caused the Launcher to appear early in the "Deliver the Bomb" mission when a player joined an ‘in-progress’ zone.
Fixed an issue that caused some players to be unable to activate the bomb in the "Deliver the Bomb" missions.

GENERAL

Fixed a crash that occasionally occurred when canceling a game rejoin.
Re-enabled support for DirectX 10.
Fixed several client crashes.

Matchmaking Region is now available under the GAME tab in the options menu.
This tool shows all available regions and a representative ping value at the time of login.
We are working to improve this tool further to refresh ping values.

UI

Fixed an issue that caused Homebase Storm Shield power levels to always incorrectly show as 0 out of 10.
Corrected a typo in the Challenge the Horde loading screen.
Corrected a few typos found in perk names for Scavenger Heroes.
Updated names, descriptions, and bonus descriptors for all of the trap and weapon ingredient nodes on the Horde skill tree.
Nodes now refer to the Star level of the traps and weapons.
Ingredients that you receive from each node are fully listed out.
Reworded Teleporter skill tree node description to include placement range.
Experiencing issues updating, logging in or crashing in Fortnite? Reach out to player support here.

E: Some more formatting for better readability.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

It's an anti-cheat program used by a lot of games. It should eliminate more cheaters which is a good thing.

Ah, cool! Did not know that, I hadn't heard of it before so I figured it was their own thing and basically went "Who cares? You're adding an addon to your own anti-cheat system", in which case it's still nice I suppose but not really a big deal. Hopefully it'll kill a ton of cheaters, maybe even enough to bring back VPN eligibility for BR.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Did Duos with a friend of mine who did his first game. We saw 2 people building/climbing stairs up to a mountain, he told me to wait a bit so he could get a proper angle with his sniper rifle. I just started blasting the bottom stairs and 2 seconds later 2 people fell to their death. :v:

I've never heard him cackle like that.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

quote:

We’ve re-enabled capped 30 FPS on PS4 and PS4 Pro to maintain a smooth experience.

:ironicat:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

khy posted:

I'm more interested in PvE than PvP. Crazy, I know. But the whole "build a base and defend against zombies" appeals to the tower defense gamer I used to be back in the WC3 days.

But it sounds like it's not worth it so I'll give it a pass. Thanks goons!

People who bitch about seeing ghost towns are weird. I'm in Twine Peaks doing anything between level 76 and 100 missions, and I never have less than 4 players after 30 seconds of waiting.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

The Halloween event allows you to do your main quest story line in Halloween maps. They look amazing and you should definitely check them out. The Halloween map levels scale with your current main quest line levels. I.e. if you have a quest that requires you to do level 64+ quests, Halloween missions will all be level 64.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

Weird, i did like 70+ damage with the pump shotty from like 40 yards away yesterday and i was watching a stream just now where the dude was sniping for 40+ damage from 80+ yards away wtf. Pump shotty seems bugged or something because that's insane.

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/923953582138888192

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

For what it's worth, if you're thinking of buying a skin for BR, you're better off buying PvE and progressing through the story. You can easily get 2k V-Coins in your first week, probably close to 5-6k coins in your first month with moderate play. Once you're further down the storyline those rewards drop off a bit though, and you'll be looking at 500-600 coins per week at best, from daily stuff.

E: The game is currently $28, so you're better off doing some PvE (unless you hate it) instead of buying coins for skins if you're looking to buy 2 or more skins.
E2: And a lot of goons (including myself) have extra copies, so I'm sure you can shave it off to $20 or less. And more importantly, it wouldn't surprise me if you'd be able to use PvE skins in PvP at some point.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 29, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Minorkos posted:

To be honest, I'm not that invested in cosmetics and stuff like that, I just want there to be some reward in winning. When my friend squad won a game for the first time, the game just said "You won" and then kicked us back to the lobby. What was the point in winning if you get nothing from it? I mean it's still fun it just feels like you leave the game empty-handed after a session. In PUBG, you get to see your kills and a huge massive in-game currency reward right next to it. It's just such a great reward and recognition for beating 99 other players in a huge battle royale. It makes people so proud that they constantly take screenshots of their win-screens and post them in Discord channels and forums and stuff like that. There's also the fact that you can turn your victories into actual money for your Steam wallet by selling all the stuff you unbox in the game.

In comparison, in Fortnite you don't get anything but a plain "You win" screen and a swift boot back to the menu, and it's such a massive anti-climax. I'm sure the devs have underestimated how important it is to be rewarded and how unimportant everything else is in comparison. When you look at PUBG, it's an unfinished, janky, poorly running FPS game with a lot of awful, awful game design, but it has nailed the feeling of rewarding players for doing well, hence the millions of active players

Although I agree this game needs more rewards, especially in Battle Royale, I don't think PUBG's rewards are good either. Sure it's nice to see kill points/hit points, but the formula behind those aren't known, so it doesn't mean too much either (but I do think 5 damage = 1 reward point?). Either way, yesterday's PUBG win gave me a whopping 553 points. Even with the cheapest crate of the week you barely get half a crate for a win. A crate worth 40 cents. A crate that probably drops $0.10 on average.

You don't see direct rewards from winning at the moment, but with Fortnite's BR you at least get to level your account now (since thursday), which unlocks stuff. Haven't really looked into what stuff exactly, but it unlocks it. :v:

E: I think if DICE creates a direct PUBG clone but on the Frostbite engine, PUBG would die a quick death. And I'd be willing to bet money on that. PUBG's controls feel so poo poo and I doubt the upcoming 1.0 version is going to fix them all, I only recently bought it and I'm really loving the game, but holy gently caress it feels sluggish. Not to mention they're cheap loving bastards and run the game on 8 tickrate, which increases slightly towards 17 tickrate (the cap) once enough people are dead.

And here I thought CS:GO was bad with their 60 tickrate.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 29, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So are weapon BP's reusable? I have a purple autoshottie schematic that's level 5 that I want to make but I don't have parts.

Also can you repair weapons?

Schematics stay forever unless you put them in your collection book (ignore the collection book for a while) or recycle them. You can't repair weapons, but you can just create them infinitely as long as you have the materials. Dying will give a pretty steep durability loss to your weapons (I'd say 5-10%), but only if you don't get ressed by a party member. If you get ressed, 0 durability loss.

Edit: Don't evolve schematics unless you're 100% sure you can afford the new crafting materials. If you click on Evolve (this can be done at every 10th level), you can preview the changes, including the crafting cost changes.

For example: Stonewood gives you mostly Copper ore, with some Silver ore in high level areas. Plankerton gives Silver ore, with Malachite ore in high level areas and so on. If you evolve a weapon, it requires the next area's (or high level area's) materials. Since the game doesn't allow you to craft a "downgraded" version of your schematic, you don't want to evolve unless you're 100% sure you can keep affording it. Or you might lose out on your favorite schematic for a while.
E2: Traps follow the same idea, but they require X mineral powder, which goes to Y mineral powder after evolving.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 29, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I remember at one point you'd get 1000 money for a solo win with a few kills, and you could buy a crate that was worth 2-3 euros in the marketplace. Obviously, supply has met demand by now so that isn't a real thing, but it was pretty crazy at the time.

That said, you're right that you don't exactly earn a living by playing the game, but it's still really nice to get new hats when you win.

Yeah, maybe, although I don't know if the Frostbite engine can actually support something like that. 64 players in a fairly small map is still quite different from PUBG's massive map with 100 players. And the game would be made by DICE (a developer that takes a long time to make games good) with EA forcing them to push the game out as soon as possible, so most likely the game would be a broken mess for at least a year if it did come out.

Yeah it was a squad win, I did have 3 kills there + like 4-5 more people worth of health damage, so it's not like I got 1 kill and got the win. Maybe solo is worth more per win?

As for DICE, I'm mostly salty about how loving poo poo everything but shooting feels in PUBG. :v: Well driving's pretty okay too.

E: BF3 had some pretty big maps. Not as big as PUBG, probably closer to or maybe a bit bigger than Fortnite's map. I'm really oversimplifying things here, but basically everything is in Battlefield already, except loose attachments/gear I guess?

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 29, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

teagone posted:

I want this game to become more popular than PUBG because I find the fights way more fun, especially in squads. I was going to buy PUBG, but played it at my friends place this past weekend and I did not enjoy it all. He's also got a way better PC than mine and the game felt janky as gently caress. Can only imagine it being worse on my PC. Maybe Fortnite BR spoiled me?

Fortnite's BR feels a lot faster paced, which is great. I like PUBG's tactical side though, and it's a lot harder. Whether that's a bonus for you as well is subjective, of course. Fortnite feels way more like the average shooter game, hell in my first 20 games I had a 30% win rate in Fortnite BR, while only getting my first (squad) win in PUBG after 40+ games. The learning curve is incredibly low in Fortnite's BR, which can be both great and bad. I enjoy both though, don't get me wrong.

E: And other than sniper rifles there's no bullet drop or any recoil if you single-shot fire at stuff. It's more about pure aim in Fortnite BR, which is great if you're fast and accurate. :v:

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Some dude took my head off so I watched him take all my loot and build a sniper tower with my gun. Then he had to hastily abandon it as rockets came streaming towards it.

I think this game needs more rocket launchers because if people build a quick tower they're really, really defended

I think sniper rifles need a nerf instead of having more rocket launchers to be honest. Mostly because rocket launchers are the most overpowered thing I've seen in a game in years. And sniper rifles need a nerf because it's way too powerful to quickly peek and explode someone's head, with the receiver literally not being able to react, usually not even being able to see you.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 29, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Minorkos posted:

I seem to find PUBG a lot easier actually, but that's probably because I've spent more time playing military simulations than arena shooters. I've noticed that whenever I play PUBG with my friends, I constantly have to tell them to avoid certain areas and engagements because they're incredibly dangerous, and for some reason this kind of stuff is only obvious to me, even though I play the game a lot less than they do. I have these weird animal instincts when it comes to this stuff, like I can feel if I'm exposed and where enemies are most likely going to be.

So I think it's more about what you're used to playing

Well I consistently end in the top 10, just that the last few battles are really hard for me. On top of people just being better/more experienced than I am, there's also a shitton of RNG that Fortnite just doesn't really have. Running across the field because you suddenly have to run 200 meters, even though the area was 300 meters wide, is almost a certain loss. While in Fortnite you'd just build an Iron Curtain and get there safely.

But yeah, my basis lies mostly with Unreal Tournament from childhood and more recently things like BF and CS:GO. Games that rely more on raw aiming power/skill while almost entirely ignoring RNG. Whereas in PUBG (and to a lesser extent, Fortnite) you can lose the game by landing next to a person, and him finding a shotgun while you find a Sickle. Obviously PUBG relies a lot on skill as well, I'm just saying PUBG has a shitton of RNG layers on top of it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What's your material farming strategies for PvE? Just go after everything you need and ignore chests? Go after chests first?

Personally: Planks/Ore should never be a problem, if you (help) build bases, getting wood/stone will net you more than enough of those. Nuts and Bolts/Plants (roots I think they're called, or herbs?) are a different story. Basically destroy anything even remotely mechanical and you've covered Nuts and Bolts. Avoid cars if possible, they're great for metal, but are relatively slow for Nuts and Bolts. They give the same amount as a clock or washing machine, or better yet: parking meters. Yet the last 3 doodads only take 1 or 2 hits, while cars take 4-5. Parking meters are your best friends, destroy them.

As for herbs or whatever, my strategy is this: do I have less than 70 energy while I sprint next to a plant? Gather it. More than 70 energy left? Keep on sprinting. Try not to craft Healing Pads, imo they're a huge waste and other things you need to craft will already drain your herbs.

Great Beer posted:

Pathfinder Jess. Open everything you see, especially if it's glowing blue or purple. Punch everything else.

That'd require playing an Outlander. :v:

But seriously though, I don't like going this route, because unless you main an Outlander, you have to do private games to farm. Which I've avoided since the beginning of the game. Exception being: 1-2 full duration private maps farming with each new area, to properly build/trap your freshly unlocked Storm Shield map.

Did 1 map for Plankerton, 2 for Canny and 3 for Twine Peaks. Twine Peaks really doesn't gently caress around, although they've greatly buffed players after I did that, so maybe the SSD is not as bad anymore.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 31, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Defenders also never activate the exploding kegs on the red dudes. And afaik, always headshot. At least the sniper ones. From somewhat extensive Horde Bash experience, they hit about 33-50% of their shots, and they seem to always hit the head no matter the distance.

They do chew through ammo/durability though, because they only hit 33-50% of their shots, which isn't a problem in Horde Bash but might be troubling for regular quests where you have to farm your own mats.

E: In an ideal world they would get a -50% ammo/durability consumption to become somewhat viable, but I'm guessing they're holding off on stuff like that because it might make people just do private games all the time.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Also: I'm fairly sure higher rarity weapons have a flat damage bonus, less recoil and more accuracy.

Oh and I want a forced-first-person mode. But that's not going to happen anytime soon I think.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I did post about it 2 pages back though. :v:

Fwiw, everything is hit scan in PvE. Except obviously missile/grenade launchers.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v-1-8-1-patch-notes

New patch notes are up.

quote:

Fixed an issue which caused revives to be interrupted if another DBNO player is near.

Only took them a month, loving hell.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

de_dust posted:

Are they ever adding 60fps(ish) back on the console version?

30 is lame as gently caress.

Yup, it's in the patch notes for tomorrow's patch. You can choose to not cap fps at 30 after tomorrow.

E: Only for PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm a bit new but just getting within like 15 feet and popping off an enemy's head has been much more effective for close range than AR's. I have a purple Power 27 Bearcat though. Weaker enemies go down in one hit, those bigger guys go down in 2-3.

Each weapon has its own headshot multiplier. Shotgun only gets +10% damage on headshots, so just going for center mass is best with them. Shredder Sniper Rifle falls under Sniper Rifles so ignores this (iirc sniper rifle is 50 or 75% headshot bonus).

I don't use shotguns ever, there's like 2 different good ones though, but really only for Chargers. Especially later on where random Charger waves can pop up, which shits out like 15-30 Chargers over a minute. I believe the Backbreaker is really good and Room Sweeper(?). From what I've heard anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Yes, not at this moment but they add opposite sex/different "characters" with the same abilities with every event so far.

I.e. Jason from friday the 13th as Kyle.

As for the controller Constructor: I like them for the more run and gun ish missions like Retrieve the Data, where a huge B.A.S.E. isn't "required" and adds some extra firepower while sticking with the constructor class.

• Locked thread