Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Tale of tragedy and caution - I was 10 kills deep in a No Fill squad game. Last two kills were a hectic barrage of rockets but left me in the middle of the smallest circle I'd ever seen. Only 1 opponent left - he fires at me from right on my rear end and I do a jumping 180 and fire a rocket that should splash him to death.

At that exact same tick he builds a wall.

I splode myself instead.

Moral of the story is always try to build a wall/ramp if you can???

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The game gets pretty crazy when you're on the losing side of a 2v20. No one knows where the last 2 are and just go kinda nuts. I was able to down like 5 people as they all tried to rush my 1 by 1 but obviously there's no time to fully kill them so it's a hopeless cause. I wonder if players should just die instantly rather than going into down status like a normal squad game.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Just got 11 kills plus the finishing blow in a 50v50 - this was also the first game where I saw multiple swings in the team count lead and where the end was actually a somewhat interesting base v base situation with some players layout out horizontal jump pads at spots where we might need to pass while taking fire etc. This game mode has a lot of potential but needs some sort of polish I can't quite put my finger on.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
As with all battle royale games they reduce the tick rate on updates for certain events (breaking boxes, opening doors etc) during the early game when there are 100 players spamming the server with movement updates and actions.

Otherwise this is consistently the least laggy, most well optimized BR game I've played.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I think proximity chat would also be good for 50 v 50 - last game I had 4 shields extra but my "squad" died and I had no idea what health/shield everyone else was at - nor could I communicate what I had for them effectively. Would also be good for taking charge and spotting enemies.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Over the last 2 weekends I've had 6 PvP wins go unrecorded, feels bad.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

50v50 wins don't count

Yeah I know that, these are Solo wins, had 2 not get counted the weekend before last and 4 not counted last weekend.

Seditiar posted:

They're still working on getting their backlog live iirc.

If that's true they've made 0 progress from my perspective I have no stats from either outage as of yet. Oh well though karma might be sorting it out anyways - yesterday I had a 7 game run where I won 5, 3 of them in a row. Just kinda sucks that I'm basically at 60 total wins but if I tried to say I was I'd look quite the fool.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yeah that ended in order for the HE mode to begin - guess they will only have 1 limited mode at a time.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

BadLlama posted:

I enjoy this game but I feel like the battle royale would be much more enjoyable if the bolt action didn't exist.

Blasphemy - other than soloing a squad or just winning there is no better feeling in this game than landing that moving headshot on a tricky target.

Zerilan posted:

Just picked the game up. What's some good starting advice to not die constantly in battle royale?

Nothing is more important than building - you can get your aiming skill as good as a pro player's and it still will not get you very far in this game (though this will change if they ever switch out bloom for recoil). I've got nearly 100 solo wins now on PC with a 10% winrate and I feel like tons of times I'm being outshot in a fight but my opponent simply loses because I quickly outbuild them or even worse they don't build at all. Being comfortable and quick with building also means that you're almost never out of options - as long as you have hp and materials you usually have an out. I've had many wins come from not giving up at 4hp and just build spamming until what was a bad situation goes back to neutral.

Conversely you also need to know when to abandon ship - grenades and grenade launchers are actually way more lethal than rocket launchers at a high level since you can't outbuild the staggered explosions of grenades (especially since there are still bugs/desync issues where your wall goes up but some sort a raytrace still sneaks through and kills you).

Outside of sniping, aiming in this game is extremely easy and honestly from what I observe in myself and from spectating in game bad aim mostly comes from nerves. The only thing to do to improve that is play, play, play and do so aggressively. Don't pass up on fights unless you'd be at a huge disadvantage doing so - otherwise you'll never build up your confidence (I duo with a guy who is pretty good but hard on himself, and I think just telling him that he's good got him to go back and win several solos on his own, feels good).

The only objective tip for aiming is to keep your sensitivity LOW if you're on PC, as is sound advice for all shooters. I do keep my sens a tad higher than I did in H1Z1 since absolute accuracy is a little less important in Fortnite and you need to be able to build in a 360 quickly.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Zerilan posted:

Thanks. Any advice on building in combat? I don't really know much about differences in the material or really doing much beyond surrounding myself with walls on as many sides as I'm being hit from.

For defensive building it's mostly straightforward so it's all about speed. Getting shot while in the open? You should have two walls and a ramp built in 2-3 seconds. Building a 3-4 level tower shouldn't take more than 10 seconds. Since these motions are going to be exactly the same every time it just takes practice - you can often find 60-90 materials just in the loading zone so that's a good time to practice getting walls/ramps up quickly. If someone is spamming you with an AR and shooting down everything you put up the best technique I've found is to run completely away from them while jumping - then while you jump turn 180 so that you are facing them and put down a wall/ramp and then a 180 back again facing away from them and repeat the process. You'll keep your momentum moving away from them in the jumps so each jump you'll be able to put down 1 wall and 1 ramp which is more than one AR can shoot down.

Offensive building is a lot harder to practice but mostly revolves around building ramps at your opponent - practice making your ramps 2 units wide so they are harder to shoot down - the goal here is to be able to run at full speed while making ramps that are 2-wide (if you're lucky with your placement you can even go 3-wide which is useful against squads). Another common mistake is to build higher than you need to - once you are 1-2 units above your opponent, switch to floors so that you don't gain unnecessary height and take extra fall damage. If you're building a ramp for aggressive cover in a firefight you can quickly build a wall in front of the last ramp (same height) - just to make it harder to shoot out the ramp from under you.

Any time you whiff something big like a pump shot and you think your opponent is going to kill you before the next shot - try to build a wall. Works more often than you might think.

Don't forget about edits either - using edits can let you do things like have a jump pad hidden behind your tower that you can access through a door - it can let you change stairs to face any direction, etc. Everything has a use, I even got a win with a window once. Watch high level builders like Myth or Ninja for inspiration.

Material selection hardly feels like it matters in a firefight - they all tend to go down as soon as you put them up - so always use wood in a firefight. Once the circle is small enough it usually is smart to find a good, central, highground spot and build a tower. When you are building these lategame structures make the bottom few floors out of your toughest mats and then the top out of wood. You can easily replace the top of your tower but a smart player will aim their rockets at base - fully built up metal takes 2 rockets to knock down instead of just 1.

Also I'm a huge goober so every game in the loading zone I edit the pyramid into my forward ramp and then I rotate the normal ramp twice so it faces down. This gives me both upwards and downwards ramps on different mouse buttons - also I like using the pyramid as my forward ramps for the edit options.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

squidgee posted:

I just got killed by a someone under the map.

:wtf:

Really sucks - stay away from Fatal Fields until Epic fixes the bug. If the circle closes there you might be screwed though.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
What patch did they make changes to storm timing? I've been playing the BR for a few months and I haven't noticed any difference in storm speed and the damage has definitely been the same since I started playing.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Mr Hootington posted:

Silent smg is good if you get the drop on someone. Would be nice if they put a blue and purple in for it.

Blue silenced smg already exists - honestly if they deleted the gray version and added a purple and then deleted the other two SMGs it would make the BR one step closer to optimized, IMO. The other two are just garbage to trip over. (Though in the shooting test the Blue regular SMG is very very very good)

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Seditiar posted:

Fortnite - Save the World (PvE) is 50% off currently. I'd definitely recommend picking it up while it's discounted. If anything you'll earn $20 worth of Vbucks pretty quickly.

Can I earn that much in vBucks without actually playing the game? i.e. just daily login bonuses etc? I basically spend all the time I can play games playing the BR and don't really want to split that time up just for vBucks.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I did not have to look at the map to complete the challenge but if yours isn't marked for completion maybe give the whole process a try just in case Epic patched it. I got mine the same day the pass came out and I know some minor fixes have come through in the background since.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They did say that one specific type of tree will get more health to compensate for wood it yields, that doesn’t sound too bad.

Edit: https://reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/83alwy/patch_32_postmortem/ lol

They nerfed pine trees too a few patches prior - it's only a matter of time before they do the same to pallets

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Hunting rifle is the worst gun I drop them all.

I am wrong aren’t I?

It had bloom for the first week which made it worthless - then last Thursday they removed it as long as you are still and ADS'd. So it's pretty awesome now - feeling out the bullet drop is much harder without zoom and markers but it makes it all the more satisfying to hit a shot.

Of course I'd prefer a bolt any day but I'd take a hunting rifle over the semi-auto.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
After over an hour of failed attempts, Ninja and Drake are playing together, cross-platform. 340k viewers.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Democratic Pirate posted:

This has to be orchestrated by Fortnite PR, right?

I don't know if they actually set it up but they had so much trouble merely friending each other than someone at Epic actually went and added them manually on their end.

E: 490k viewers now... drat

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
615k viewers. Not that far from double the previous record of 388k by DrDisrespect.

The growth of BR has been absolutely nuts, sad it had to kill 2 games.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Scoped AR is not actually hitscan, just has no bullet spread. Actual hitscan weapons are like, uhh, deagle and tactical shotgun?

This is incorrect Scoped AR is hitscan. Splodes, nades, snipes, and crossbow are the only real projectiles.

E: Just for clarity even though most of the guns are hitscan firing them does cause the game to display a projectile tracer - this tracer is completely inaccurate and mostly is for the person you're shooting at to see where you're shooting from (it's why silencers provide an advantage).

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 15, 2018

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The iOS and upcoming Android ports have me hoping for a Switch port.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Raged posted:

Wait...... Are mobile and PC crossplay?

PS4, iOS, and (I believe) XBox can all crossplay with PC - doing so will take you to cross-play only servers. So if you're playing on PC solo you'll never encounter an iOS player and vice versa.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

teagone posted:

They should probably nerf the ability to cycle through a pump and a tactical shotty which is almost as effective as double pumps. That combo shits out damage.

You can't really cycle between them - you get one shot with the pump and then have to switch to the tactical for the rest of the engagement (or at least until you make enough space to switch back and pump it). It's way less DPS than double pump and the tactical shotgun has a lot more spread so it doesn't have the same range that double pumping did.

Don't get me wrong it's good and I do it every game that I can, but it's no double pump - and come late game I think you are giving up too much holding on to pump + tac over having that slot hold shield/meds/splodes/snipes.

Emron posted:

I started playing this in earnest this week and I just won my first solo match and I am loving stoked holy poo poo. That was exhilarating as gently caress.

Gratz - me and a buddy did a fill blitz squad and got some guy his first win - when I checked his stats saw that was his 4th game total. He sent us both friend requests and we joked about adding him since with his 25% winrate he was clearly better than either of us. Guy had no mic though so it was a deal breaker.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’m almost at 100 solo games and the closest I’ve come is 4th.

I may be bad guys. :ohdear:

If this is your first BR game I wouldn't worry - practically everyone else has an edge in experience, but it's a gap that closes fast.

As already mentioned, don't play to win at first - not until you're actually good enough to win at least. To learn faster, play Blitz while it's available and drop where you know there will be action aka Salty, Retail, Tilted. Focus on the mantra of 'build first, shoot second' - unless you're short on materials you can't overbuild in this game. Seriously, I have won so many 1v3s or otherwise disadvantaged situations just by getting a few layers of wood between me and the shots - then either building myself a cage to heal or building ramps to go over the top of whoever is trying to push me.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Asnorban posted:

Consoles need to let me rearrange the build order. I need the wall and the ramp next to each other.

What you can do instead is turn the pyramid into your up ramp by editing the back 2 squares. Those two types of buildings are next to each other. Then you can even rotate your stairs twice and have downward facing stairs on their own slot!

keyframe posted:

I lowered the mouse sensitivity to 0.15 and started getting kills. I think the default 0.25 is set to way too high.

There's no such thing as universal mouse sensitivity settings - the actual sensitivity is a multiplication of the ratio in the Fortnite settings and the DPI of your mouse, so Epic games can't 'ship' the game with a mouse sens that works for everyone. For example I use 0.20 but only because I've set my mouse all the way down to 250 dpi.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The problem is you have to remember to do it every match. Unless there’s a way to save it I’m unaware of.

I'm on PC and I do it every single pregame. It sucks and I wish I could save the setting somehow but at least I've gotten very fast at it and I've gotten completely used to having downward facing stairs on its own mouse button so I just can't go back. I chose to have the 'roof' piece as my up ramp since at first I liked the edit options better - though now that I've seen higher-level players make good use of stair-edits I think there are many valid arguments to be made for both camps.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

keyframe posted:

Whatever happened to that "shooting test" they did? Did all the changes make it into live?

So they have 2 shooting tests they have been working on internally, named #1 and #2

#2 was accidentally previewed for a few hours a few months ago - it replaced bloom with recoil like H1Z1/PUBG do. Pros generally reacted favorably to the changes though none had too much time to see the full impact. Some users were concerned about the way recoil was implemented on console, and also spraying down somone's wood at range with an AR became much harder due to recoil. When they officially demoed #1 they said an official #2 LTM would come out soon but it still hasn't.

#1 was a full LTM a couple months ago. It is essentially the same system as is in place now except with first-shot accuracy and damage falloff. Generally people seemed to like #1 a bit better than the current system but also felt that beyond the first-shot accuracy feature the bloom is still too bloomy. Also - although the damage falloff means that a bad player can't just get a bunch of lucky headshots at range for a kill, it also meant that a good player has trouble killing at range as even with perfect aim a kill could take 5+ SCAR headshots. I'm guessing Epic determined that none of the changes presented in #1 were so overwhelmingly liked as to be adapted, or at least not before they officially test #2.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you still get aim assist with KBM on PS4? If so lol

Apparently it was a bug for some time, at least on PC. According to Epic it's fixed as of some months ago.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

spasticColon posted:

Or I might just get a mouse with a lot more buttons because I'm thinking some of the better players on PC probably use a mouse with a lot of buttons like one of those mice for MMORPGS. The speed and quantity at which some people build stuff on the PC version of the game gets really crazy at times.

I don't know about MMO mice with a full numpads on em. At most - good players are using a G502 which has 5 buttons on the left side and tiltable mouse wheel. Lots of good players just use the basic Razer mice which don't have a whole lot of extra buttons - just as long as you can bind a couple building slots to the mouse it's enough - as someone else mentioned you can even rebind mousewheel up/down to building slots since using the mousewheel for actual inventory scrolling is so unreliable.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Just for laughs here's my keybinds (on a G502):

Q - Wall
DPI Up - Ramp (Actually edited pyramid)
DPI Down - Floor
Middle Button tilt right - Down Ramp (stairs rotated twice)
Mouse 4 - Run
Mouse 5 - Crouch
DPI Cycle - Trap

4 - Pickaxe
1- AR
2 - Shotgun
3 - Shotgun/Splode
Z - Snipes
X - Heals

C - Heal Building
F - Edit
Middle Mouse tilt left - Auto-run

If it weren't for ~10 wins that didn't count due to various DB outages I'd be at 300 wins total

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

MF_James posted:

Balls, so I assume you use the same key for each mwheel up and down so you don't tie up 2 and negate the reason behind using the mousewheel.

That sucks, it's mildly better than individual keys being required but still sucks. I have the G500s and since the game doesn't recognize one of the side buttons I'm short a keybind for building, was hoping mouse wheel bind was possible natively and I was just too stupid to figure it out.

If you download the logitech software you can make it so that the side button that is not recognized is rebound to a keyboard key - then you just bind that key to the desired action in the game.

In any case you should be able to move mouse up and mouse down to different functions - they are already bound to inventory scroll up/down. I think if you are having trouble setting them you may need to hover your mouse over a specific part of the screen otherwise the game will try to scroll up/down the key menu.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Whoa. How do you set customised building binds? E2: Lemme guess, you disabled the option that resets building choice and then just configured your rooftop into a ramp?

I'm just crazy and I do the edits in the loading island every single game. If you edit a piece in blueprint mode the edit persists for the rest of the game.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

teagone posted:

Fortnite BR tryhard discussion — which is the most optimal shotgun combo?
Depends on the accuracy of the player - with good accuracy green pump + purple heavy without a doubt. Otherwise I'd say blue tac + purple heavy. Either one of these will eventually set you up to have 2 heavies.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

teagone posted:

With the tac + heavy, you would cycle back and forth between them just as you would with double heavy right?

Absolutely!

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Bottom Liner posted:

I really really wish they would add first person mode. I know they said they're not interested in it but drat would it be fun.

I hope they don't implement it (or at least not for BR). I think in the long run splitting up the playlist into 3P and 1P hurt PUBG, just like they hurt themselves further by having 2 maps concurrently. Similar arguments were made when Epic suggested adding Ranked queues - everyone protested that it would harm the playerbase to have 2 queues for each mode.

And in addition to those concerns I just think that 1st person isn't a good fit for Fortnite in general - with the heavy focus on building I can imagine the gameplay getting frustrating in 1P. Just building in general would always be obscuring your view and god help you if someone sneaks under what you've built - without 3P to look below floors you'll never see where they've hidden themselves.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Venuz Patrol posted:

with a player base this size you could split everyone up twenty ways and the matchfinding queues would go up to like, 6 seconds to find 100 people instead of 2

It's not about queue length but rather just segmentation of the playerbase itself. What happens to your squad when 2/4 players want to play 1P and the others 3P? Again same concern was aired with Ranked queue. I've heard PUBG streamers themselves complain about how the addition of the extra map/perspective lead to viewers complaining/leaving their channel since it just gives them extra ways to be 'playing the game wrong' according to the audience.

Clearly Epic games has some aversion to adding too many extra queue types - their LTMs are almost always Squad only and Blitz ended up being the only one to have two concurrent queues. There's never been a Duo LTM either.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Bottom Liner posted:

uh, I think the biggest game in the world can handle having multiple queues just fine...

Read the whole thread before quoting

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I can't get ceremonious wins for ceremonious numbers :saddowns:

My 100th solo win was months ago and happened when the second to last guy blew himself up, causing the last guy to jump to his death off his platform out of panic.

Then today my 300th total win, a super tense buildoff against someone who was very good at building - I was the only one to land any shots but at the same time I kept on taking small amounts of fall/storm damage over the course of the fight bringing me to 4hp. I had 6 minishields but 0 hp heals. The final wave starts closing in and we're both perilously high above the ground - I'm completely out of materials, and he's shooting out the last metal roof that I was able to place above me. With the storm literally touching my back and getting tighter I have nowhere left that is safe - death is all but certain.

Then the last dude dies offscreen, the message on the killfeed did not make it clear if he fell or just happened to tick down to storm damage before me.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Taylor Swift posted:

I miss when this was a comedy forum

gaymartin posted:

The something awful DOT com former comedy website, a place once known for its edgy and extreme humor, a place that openly mocked 9/11 mere days after it happened.

Its user base is now compromised entirely compromised of pearl clutching soccer moms endlessly shaking their fists at something and can't come up with an insult wittier than nazi, like that's supposed to mean anything at this point, or even give you power over them.

The fact that this discussion is being had in the Fortnite thread of all places is even more evidence of how far this place keeps sinking down the toilet, and it all spawned from someone simply linking a discord to find more people to play with, but because this person once said a thing, or perhaps voted for the wrong person, then clearly he needs to be hung out to dry, at the end of the day we're shooting people and making buildings that don't meet OSHA standards, and as much as you'd like to think those goshdarn DRUMPF voters are to blame, they're not, its you, the bastion of morality that can't shut the gently caress up about politics for one goddamn second, especially going as far as calling someone from Puerto Rico of all places a white supremacist, you blithering retards.

I miss when nobody posted like this on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Internet Kraken posted:

There's a lot of dumb poo poo being posted in this thread but I think the funniest thing is this idiot thinking anyone on SA actually likes CNN.

Your words can't reach him... he's taken the red pill

• Locked thread