Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone who has spent a significant amount of time with this game have a good list of drawbacks or reasons to hold off on this title?

The free premium currency dries up pretty hardcore after the start and you are left without an effective way to grind for new weapons/heroes/anything fun really. That and at the moment the game rewards players for being selfish and not working with the team which is not great for long term game survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Something I haven't seen mentioned is this is cross buy, buying it PC or PS4 lets you play on both versions transfering your data between each. Most epic games seem to do this I'm quite fond of it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TwingeCrag posted:

For what it's worth, I've had very little problem progressing, but I thought this was a $60 regular game, and having access to a class I wanted to play right out the gate SIGNIFICANTLY added to my enjoyment. That, and playing with a group of friends who are super into these games.

I've found that personally, treating games like this + warframe like regular AAA $60 experiences tends to give me the best fun/value, but ymmv.

A single friend to give you a sweet purple gun so that you can contribute at higher levels faster also makes the game WAY more fun. I am willing to give some goons some purple pistols if anyone wants.

The hump usually hits most people midway/near the end of the second zone, speed is great until then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

the panacea posted:

This game is way more fun than I thought it would be. It's nice that I can just create a private mission and gather resources and explore as much as I want.

There are also way more build-able shapes than I thought thee were initially.

Trying to build those radar towers actually helps you learn the different poo poo you can make, still not worth it but fun to do once or twice.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

15 Llamas, 0 legendaries and about 3-4 rares I would of been upset had I spent 15 bucks on this, many F2P games have some currency that you get out of boxes that stacks up that you can use to buy things if RNG is not your friend, they could use that here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raged posted:

Do the quests that give coins such as the Storm shield and # of missions completed quest go away after a certain amount?

Yeah they peter out at 10. At that point you are stuck with dailies and very rarely a timed mission.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raged posted:

Uggggh.

Thing that irks me about the game is that the base game is fun, but the 50 systems that are in the game to push you towards dropping tons of cash on it are infuriating. Bet we will be seeing research boots in the future.

Yeah it's a real problem, since schematics don't drop you are kinda screwed. You can tell the non-pay path of progression is to use expeditions to get survivors to use on transform keys but that literally takes weeks and weeks for a random purple.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kalli posted:

Stupid question. When you send heroes out on expeditions, does that cost survivors? I opened the row boat, and it said 85/15 survivors on one of the screens.

Basically expeditions exist only to turn the "people" resource into white/green survivors.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I bought the 10 pack and it just highlighted the problem with this game for me, I got 3 legendaries in the pack all survivors, now that's a good thing because survivors are your main stat gain. It's just insanely boring like "good loot" was me getting like 5-10% more offense stat raising my damage, that is not interesting in any way shape or form, at least they weren't defenders.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Great Beer posted:

I never use them because you can't bring them if the game has four people. Which is super obnoxious.

The one time I tried to use them on stormshield defense they were useless because the 20 seconds you get between waves is not fast enough to move their platform/redrop their weapons and ammo between sites, at the very least they should follow you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tei posted:

I am starting to think that The Wall is only perception. That they have paced the game wrong. You get used to gain a level after every mission. Then you get a level every 5 missions and think something is wrong. Imagine WoW or other mmorpg where after every dungeon you would gain a level. That would be consider too fast.

On PS4 another problem, for me, maybe for other people, is that you have to use the "find game" option, so you can't choose the mission you want. So I cant choose the same mission that gives water drops or hero xp, is pretty much random where I will end to.

I am pretty happy about the game. Theres huge swatches of game that are poorly designed and firm in the Anti-Fun squad, but it don't tarnish the core of the game, that is quite fun. If only getting the weapons you want where easier. If where possible to try other class to see how they feel. If the game had less "gently caress you player" moments. If ammo and traps where less scarce.

On my level you have to farm 1.5 games to have 1 good game with many traps and enough ammo for your favorite weapons.

The wall has nothing to do with leveling and everything to do with not being able to get schematics outside of llamas, after a while the only way to get new loot is the llama every 2 days from your dailies. Also around this time you realize that nothing has changed much since the start, the locations never change and they stop inroducing new mobs, also the skill tree is just slight stat boosts that keep you parity with rising hp everything is still pretty much the same.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Great Beer posted:

It's already happening. http://www.pcgamer.com/fortnite-review/

Predictably, Reddit users are whining about how reviewing an early access game isn't fair.

The review is not great but once a game is sold in Wal-mart with no indication there it is early access/beta then it's open season for reviews/judgements.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Grenade launchers are the tits when someone has DECOY.

I have the mythic soldier with the super grenades and those + decoy can solo just about any wave.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

Snipers in this game are for killing lobbers and maybe igniting propane tanks, and they're already very good at those jobs. In all other cases enemies aren't threatening until they're close and you will get better damage out of an assault rifle or pistol.

I've got a legendary 1 shot sniper that still 1 shot headshots everything small and kills huskys in 2-3 it's fantastic because it Pierce's so it's easy to get multiple kills per trigger pull still great in lvl 40 missions and I haven't 3 starred it yet because gently caress malachite

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dravs posted:

Pretty sure there is a big update in a couple of days with new content including a survival mode among other things.

Yeah, August 29th apparently.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...e-storm-arrives

Endless mode sounds good, only going to be active for a month doesn't seem like the greatest idea with the dearth of content.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Survivors are a way to (massively) dilute the reward pool. That's it.

There might be an interesting mini game of optimizing them. I know I've spent dumb amounts of time futzing with them to try to maximize my numbers, and I didn't exactly hate all of it.

But it's a minigame that's way out of place in the fast and intuitive builder/shooter thing the game is trying to be. And there are also very few interesting choices. It's just a math problem that's completely solvable.

They are just so boring, like they are all flat stat bonuses, maybe you get a set that gives you a slightly higher stat bonus there is no builds or interesting interaction or anything.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LuciferMorningstar posted:

My take as well. The rewards for some of them look pretty good (a legendary hero, mythic survivor), but sitting through (possibly multiple) missions measured in hours seems really tedious.

Unnecessary tedium seems to be this game's big stumbling block, though. I get the grind when it comes to the F2P side of things, but a lot of tedious mechanics affect areas you couldn't buy your way out of even if you wanted to. Ammo crafting, crafting in general, resource gathering, daily missions... It all feels a little too heavy-handed.

They don't seem interested in fixing any of that either, in fact their patch path is just confusing they continue to nerf anything that is good/popular. Like they went out of their way to remove durability rolls from explosive weapons because they were highly sought after, but left in rolls like crit on traps that literally don't do anything. They also continue to badly nerf heroes without much warning and in a game where you can only afford to max out a few heroes that is a lovely thing to do without some sort of refund.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheBlandName posted:

So something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet... You know how people were saying "if you could get schematics randomly from missions that would fix everything?" I don't agree with that, but currently you can get schematics (and epic transform keys) randomly from missions. And not just the long survival missions. Regular missions have a slim chance to reward schematics that are weak for the content and transform keys that aren't. (Possibly improving with reward chest level. I haven't looked into it, but I would assume so.)

Problem with this is 90% of the time its a green or blue and greens and blues have level caps making them useless halfway through the game, that's the real kicker overall with the gambling system is that people say "you don't need purps" but you do because your blue can only go to level 20 which doesn't help when bullet sponge enemies start popping up and you need a level 30 or 40 weapon to even kill them in a dozen headshots.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I got a yellow soldier that is all about War Cry and debilitating shots. I got him to 3 stars and seems alright.
I want that master grenadier, though.

I have her and its amazing, once you start hitting 46-60ish quests though it's hard to keep your tech up high enough for them to matter that much.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Was wondering if there was any interest in organizing a good 14 day lvl 40ish, I have mythic ramirez or legendary hotfix I can bring although my only great trap is floor spikes I can bring a shitton of mats.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hey welcome to the show! posted:

That's interesting to hear. I'm still on the fence, but then again, I do have a year before this game goes free to play.

Who knows what will change by then.

That's not the direction things are currently going but who knows there is potential here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I love how the PVP addon they said wouldn't influence the PVE side of things that everyone bought into has now made queue's for the PvE side because too many people are playing PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

gaymartin posted:

The something awful DOT com former comedy website, a place once known for its edgy and extreme humor, a place that openly mocked 9/11 mere days after it happened.

Its user base is now compromised entirely compromised of pearl clutching soccer moms endlessly shaking their fists at something and can't come up with an insult wittier than nazi, like that's supposed to mean anything at this point, or even give you power over them.

The fact that this discussion is being had in the Fortnite thread of all places is even more evidence of how far this place keeps sinking down the toilet, and it all spawned from someone simply linking a discord to find more people to play with, but because this person once said a thing, or perhaps voted for the wrong person, then clearly he needs to be hung out to dry, at the end of the day we're shooting people and making buildings that don't meet OSHA standards, and as much as you'd like to think those goshdarn DRUMPF voters are to blame, they're not, its you, the bastion of morality that can't shut the gently caress up about politics for one goddamn second, especially going as far as calling someone from Puerto Rico of all places a white supremacist, you blithering retards.

Weird how your only other post this year was claiming the Charlottesville people weren't Nazis.

• Locked thread