Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The llama ui is misleading. One of the llama offers had an x3 on it so I thought buying it would give me 3. Turns out it only gives you one and you can buy max of three. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, I've played so many games where we build elaborate and clever traps but then then rest of the team keeps dumping ammo into the husks as they spawn.

You won't lose if they get a little bit into the kill box, ya nerds!

Traps take longer to make than ammo. Never not shooting.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I build two layers of squares, sometimes with spikes if I remember to build them, then shoot all the zombies with my guns. Seems to work pretty well

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

the panacea posted:

What do you mean by wiped? The bases?

Plankerton and Canney Valley storm shield bases have been wiped.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Raged posted:

Oh get hosed, gently caress this poo poo

early access gaming lol

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PrinnySquadron posted:

I've barely used defenders because having to babysit their ammo is annoying.

I never use them because you can't bring them if the game has four people. Which is super obnoxious.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I've had 4 different groups in a row gently caress it up. It's just frustrating.

Between people loving it up constantly and OW. OW. MY PRECIOUS EYE! MY PRECIOUS EYE! NOOOO THERE WAS SO MUCH MORE TO SEEEEEEEE

MY PRECIOUS EYE

MY PRECIOUS EYE

OW

MY PREafuadsfjagkld

I am never willingly doing another rebuild the shelter mission.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm not sure what the point of craftable ammo is exactly, especially when there is already a durability system

Gotta have something to do while you wait for your sprint energy to recharge as you trundle across the map.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tei posted:

Cars are a lousy way to get nuts and bolts. Try smaller things like machines and cat tax collectors.

The larger rock spawns almost always have a rusty coffee can behind them. Those have 2-3 nuts and bolts and there are dozens of them on every map.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's already happening. http://www.pcgamer.com/fortnite-review/

Predictably, Reddit users are whining about how reviewing an early access game isn't fair.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Leif. posted:

I'd settle for a review to just be accurate.

There are flaws to be sure, but honestly I'd question whether the reviewer played for more than 20 minutes. Not only can you craft more ammo mid-mission, but it's literally right there on your UI in big letters saying "HOLD R TO CRAFT MORE AMMO DUMBASS". The inventory has a tab in it called "Crafting" that, rather intuitively, tells you exactly how much of what resource (names included) is required to build it. And as for the inventory being "crowded" -- that's a rather intuitive side effect of refusing to retire/recycle the things in it, given that doing so is basically the primary way of getting XP items.

I mean, I feel dirty saying "Reddit has a point" but this review actively made me feel stupider for having read it.

He may have run out of ammo during a storm shield mission. Ive done that before and you're poo poo out of luck if you dont have nuts and bolts since there are none on the map. Hes also entirely correct about the meaningless skill tree (you have to get most of it to progress anyway), the ridiculously bad monetization, excessively long and easy tutorial, and the lovely UI.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

No, you must gamble for your equipment. And there must be no system in place to turn all the things you don't want into the thing you want. To do otherwise might make players happy and happy players spend less money. So get spending!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kameh posted:

After gaining ground, I've seem to hit a wall on quest page 3 or 4 of Plankytown. Completed missions are showing MAYBE 2 bars of increase on the completed mission screen. Surely there's a bug, because I can't see how I can get to higher levels in my lifetime.

Are you selecting missions around your level and allowing others to join? Because if so this will cause your power rating to go up and give you less XP for the mission unless you select something 20+ levels above your current power level.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I either do Play With Others if i dont need a specific mission type or pick one of the orange/red missions if I can. You get more XP and its more fun from the extra challenge too.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tilda posted:

Is this game worth trying? Just had a baby so the idea of shooting stuff up and building stuff but for a semi-limited period of time appeals.
But that said, the reviews are terrible and the grind sounds horrendous. Anybody got a spare lovely version they fancy gifting?

Probably not. It grubs for money harder than poo poo like Clash of Clans and has a lack of content and variety in the "early" (first 20 hours) of the game. Its worst feature, imo, is that the game is just way too loving easy. Theres no challenge to it at all. So unless you really like grinding for months and clicking on slow dumb targets dont bother.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The new mode is cool but has done nothing for the problem the game already had where you spend way too much time punching trees, rocks, and appliances instead of shooting zombies and building forts.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Having a time intensive weekly /biweekly/monthly/whatever quest that rewards a choice of a selection of epic or legendary heroes would go a long way to fixing that problem.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It only gives you a gun. No schematic.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BadLlama posted:

Different game modes for different strokes whats the problem?

Splitting the playerbase is bad

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Did he seriously include an advertisement for twitch at the bottom?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Holy poo poo the mission to deploy 5 See-bots what a bullshit mission. Is there any way to do more than 1 per mission?

Higher level rescue the survivor missions sometimes have two.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Oh it's just a random spawn with the mission so I got all 5 in one shot. Poorly worded.

I misread it as Medibots anyway.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

From what I read, bluehole are upset because they hired epic to make modifications to the unreal engine for pubg which they then turned around and used to develop a very similar competing product. They aren't upset about pubg clones.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

bug chaser chaser posted:

dont forget to build walls on all sides

What stops someone from just breaking the narrow path supporting your floating platform and dropping you to the ground?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

puberty worked me over posted:

The best part of this game is the not looting apartments for 10 minutes to gear up. The game doesn't encouraging loot goblin-ing like PUBG does. Even if you land remotely in a squad match you're almost guaranteed a firefight within the first 5 minutes of the game.

If you cant find a firefight within 5 minutes of PUBG you're doing it wrong. Drop on the military base near the barracks or anywhere at school and you'll be shooting people as soon as you find a gun. Or as soon as you punch someone to death and steal theirs.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

explosivo posted:

I'm not entirely clear on how the new Horde mode works, I logged in briefly last night and saw there's a new research tree dedicated to it?

Its pretty much a storm shield defense mission. You build a section of base using a predefined set of materials to defend your little box thing. The you join a mission which adds three other players bases into the game and zombies come at you in waves. The skill tree upgrades the amount and type of materials you get.

Some annoying things I've noticed so far:
You have to do the early easy missions first so if you're a high level you won't get materials for your better weapons. The starting assault rifle works fine though.

Each mission gives you your set of materials back but any upgrades you do to your base (traps, new walls, etc) aren't carried over. You have to go back to the home base area to do permanent changes.

Don't use all of your wood on your base, you'll need it for ammo. You can't harvest resources from the map so if you're out you're out.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Dexie posted:

Just started playing this last night. I'm enjoying it, mostly, but uh...

Is there an easier way to get ammo? I feel like I'm having to go try to farm mats to make ammo every couple of missions.

Keep an eye out for rusted coffee cans (you can find these easily by circling the edge of the map. look behind large rock formations) and ammo boxes. The coffee cans will give 3-10 nuts and bolts each and the ammo boxes give... well ammo. The yellow coffee cans in survivor shacks can be looted for a few nuts and bolts as well. Cars are a terrible way to farm nuts and bolts because they take too long. Air conditioners work. If you find a laundromat in a city they can have like 30 washing machines that will give you materials.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pathfinder Jess. Open everything you see, especially if it's glowing blue or purple. Punch everything else.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Aw yeah, solod stonewood ssd 10. The only real challenging wave was to kill 800 enemies while it spawned a constant stream of lobbers. Mythic Ramirez is op as gently caress with those cluster+electric field grenades.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah but how do I get a siegebreaker or deathray? Also the grave digger would be acceptable.

Theres no way to get a specific weapon. Gamble on a bunch of ranged llamas and hope you dont get something poo poo. Spoilers: You're going to get a bunch of garbage.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Im in canney and rarely weekend anything other than soldiers. Ninjas are too flimsy to risk getting close and any soldier with the electric field grenades deals with trash more easily and more often than dragon slash. The most valuable resources are the ones your guns use so why waste them on a class without bonuses to make them more effective? On top of that skills like Shockwave and the minigun make them even more resource efficient since they can take out smashers for no ammo cost.

Constructors are OK sometimes but a low effort funnel with four soldiers unloading their various abilities is way better.

Ninjas without dragon slash suck and ones with it are just stop gaps while you roll for a good soldier. Melee weapons suck rear end for how risky they are. They're harder to head shot with and do as much per swing as a good rifle does per bullet. Yawn.

Outlander is just a waste of time, xp, and ammo. It doesn't take long to get max resources without them. If you're really in need of multiple stacks you're limited more by how quickly a mission can be done, not how long it takes to gather them.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yes. Lobbers are pricks and should be shot immediately. You can shoot the skulls out of the air if you need time to get to them.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Grenadiers are kinda boring but theyre so good its hard to justify not bringing one if you have them. They could probably stand a nerf to their grenade count to 3 just to cut down their ability spam. Nobody likes nerfs though so Id like the other classes to be beefed up so its easier to justify taking them. Something like this:

Constructors: Make the building health regen a standard part of the BASE. Give the ones that already heal either a faster rate or more HP per tick.

Ninjas: Buff the damage of melee weapons. You're taking a huge risk by getting close to zombies already, theres no reason they should be so much worse than just using a rifle. Give them a mobility buff. Faster move speed and reduce the energy cost for sprinting and double jumping. Ninjas are heavily reliant on their energy to use their abilities to avoid damage and get in position, which can often mean the annoying decision having to choose between getting to a fight or having the ability to do anything once you're there.

Outlanders: Theyre a mess. With the exception of the hugely limited Bears and Llammas they dont offer much to their team. Two thoughts Ive had for them are to have them provide the entire team with a small percent of the resources they gather (such as 1 wood per 25 gathered by the outlander or something) and replace the fragment system.

Right now fragments are very limited and have to be picked up to use more which is not always an option and leaves the outlander feeling under gunned. Removing the system entirely seems unlikely so instead have them semi-permanently change the fragment ability you pick up. So you'd start with nothing, pick up a bear fragment, and gain the ability to drop bears as much as you want with x seconds cooldown between uses. Then add new fragment types like trap resets and/or recharging, healing bursts, and ammo handouts. Llamas can remain one time use. Having a material grinding class isn't a bad thing but they should be able to be team players too and giving them indirect support options gives them a niche.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

There's pretty much always an event running that has rewards tied to it so you can still get stuff. The next patch will most likely start December's event.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Its not laggy at all. Somethings wrong on your end.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Some missions are easier to solo than others. Rescue survivors you can do basically any level. Evacuate the shelter is near impossible without at least a second person. It's the worst since it starts as soon as you launch so if you load slowly or are hoping for late joiners you're at a serious disadvantage.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rexxed posted:

I finally got to Canny Valley which is neat. I don't like that there's no more Ray or plot. It's not essential but it really adds a lot to the game. I sort of want to wait for it to be fleshed out so I don't miss anything but I also want to play more now.
My CV SSD1 had one rando join. He moved to the trap in front of my base and did not move or do anything else the entire time. Classy.

My hero transform got me the mythic Master Grenadier Ramirez which was nice, it was my first mythic anything. I don't know if she'll be better than Jonesy but I'm going to level her up some and see if I like more grenades or more bullets.

Master Grenadier Ramirez is one of the best soldiers in the game. She utterly trivializes any mission reasonably close to your level and can easily carry 3 teammates who arent even sure which end of the gun is the dangerous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Seditiar posted:

Yeap! Grenadier saves you a shitload of traps/ammo. They're kinda bad-ish versus minibosses/Smashers, but still have a ~35% flat damage increase compared with most other classes.

Eh, unless there are multiple smashers I've never had a problem dealing with them. Throw a nade or two behind it, pop the minigun, and finish it with your rifle. Easy peasy

• Locked thread