Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
A friend of mine bought this and gave me a free code, so cool. I've put in about 10 hours; first and foremost, I will say there is fun gameplay to be had, because hoo boy is it buried under a lot of negatives.

"Cancer" is definitely the first word that comes to mind. I haven't even hit a paywall yet but this game is dripping mobile pay to win vibes, it's horny for your wallet and doesn't try to hide it.

The UI is schizophrenic, menus aren't arranged in any sort of logical organization. There are so many different systems which don't really intermesh, the design choices regarding itemization and progression are bizarre. The game is supposed to be a co-op PvE game but every system goes out of it's way to disincentivize being anything but a selfish jerk.

The attempts at humor are the worst I have ever seen in a professionally developed video game. Every time the drat robot talks, or those smarmy loving llamas try to make banter, leaves me feeling repulsed. I cannot wrap my head around the idea that whoever wrote this didn't intend every line with anything but the utmost contempt for their audience.

All that being said, I could see this being a blast if you're playing with actual friends that you genuinely want to cooperate with. All of the above poo poo I just said, the game is still fun with pubs (at 10% of what it could be.) This game needs a guild system badly - I'm sure it's coming, since the idea of a big badass guild fort is too obvious not to.

Anyway, my prediction is that this game is loving DOA unless they do improbably massive revamps between now and launch.

Don't spend money on this game, but if you got a friend with a code anyway, might as well try it.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Mods please change name to fat butt ninja tia

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Kameh posted:

All I want is a legendary pathfinder. Not even the epic. I'm one of the good guys who drops materials for constructors, upgrades existing structures, places traps, and points out special chests to teammates via keen(er) eyes.

Why does this game have to prevent me from becoming who I was born to be?

All I want is a blue or better Pathfinder Jess, so every 'choice' type reward I pick Outlander if I can. I got 4 goddamn blue electricity guy outlanders and with the recent troll llamas got a legendary gunslinger dude which, while cool, I have no interest in after dumping all my exp on a purple soldier lady.

Why do you not want me to like you despite having fun inside you, game? :smith:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'd go so far as to say not to spend your skill points on the basic +1 FORT nodes if you don't have to, just save them for the next skill tier. Maybe backfill later on when you're getting 4 per levelup or something. I'm in early Plankerton and my survivors are worth 80 - 160 in each stat.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I played in a pug with actual good pubbies last night and did some hard missions with well designed forts and it was really fun.

I say again, once there are guilds, goon guild defense will own. If anyone is still playing by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If you're concerned about part count, pyramids let you fully enclose an atlas with 9 pieces (assuming you dont need floors) instead of 17 for the plus sign or 21 for a full 9x9 using only straight walls. Other than that, yeah they have minor sightline benefits.

Anyway, though this does have some fun gameplay and plenty of potential, there's too little in the way of goals you can directly work towards in this game. There's just too much RNG. I mean, I *knew* it from day 1, but it finally hit me in a way that killed my desire to play more. Might check it out again in a year or two assuming the servers are still running.

• Locked thread