Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Let's talk about Horror movies we like and make fun of the bad ones we watch anyway.

I'll start:

I recently watched all 9 hellraiser movies and I think they are by far the worst series of horror movies that made it past 5. Hellraiser 5-9 are truly horrible and a pain to get through.

Hellraiser 5: 17 seconds of pinhead in the movie. A cop is in purgatory. The end

Hellraiser 6: 12 seconds of pinhead in the movie. A cop is in purgatory. The end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hellraiser 7: a cop is in purgatory. Absolutely no pinhead in this movie.

Hellraiser 8: no pinhead... it's set in an MMORPG

Hellraiser 9: a 62 minute found footage hellraiser movie.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

I've watched over 100 horror movies this year already

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Friday 13th 1: good slasher flick. Pamela is a slay queen (YAAAaSS lol)

Friday 2: bag Head retard Jason

Friday 3: he finds the mask. Killing the fat kid obsessed with chocolate is an all time classic

Friday 4: tommy Jarvis is a kid. I think this has crispin glover saying "Hey ted... where the hell is corkscrew!"

Friday 5: it isn't Jason but a paramedic in the mask who moves and acts and kills just like Jason. Tommy is back. An autistic retard is brutally slaughtered at autism camp

Friday 6: my personal favorite. Tommy is a badass and causes Jason to become immortal. Jason has a utility belt. It's really good

Friday 7: Tina! Tina! Tina!!!!

Friday 8: Jason punches a black guys head off a skyscraper and then gets melted by toxic New York sewage and reverts back into a child and then glows briefly, before disappearing like Star Trek.

Friday 9: Jason is only in this for 10 minutes. A good opening followed by the most boring godawful Friday movie. There is a mystical "vorhees dagger" that someone sends Jason to hell. This is only introduced in the last 5 minutes

Jason X: better than any movie Hollywood has made in the last 20 years

Jason remake: godawful. No good kills. Not even worth watching for completionist sake

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hellraiser 4: pinhead flies an xwing. Adam Scott plays an emo vampire across time. Pinhead blows up a space ship

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hellraiser 3: pinhead is a horney statue. He demands pussy. He turns into an ice cube in a drink and flies out and stabs someone as ice. There is a cenobite who shoots cds

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hellraiser 2: Hellraiser 1, seriously it's Hellraiser 1 with uh worse story and there's some good body horror.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hellraiser: uncle frank loves sex and pain equally and comes back as a corpse who demands blood. It's still pretty drat good and the effects still look good today. I'd say it's a must see if you haven't seen it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I agree, Jason Lives is the best of the bunch

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its amazing to watch jason 1 and then jason x with none of the other movies in between

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

its amazing to watch jason 1 and then jason x with none of the other movies in between

lol that would be crazy, you wouldn't know who Jason was

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
haha

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Wasn't one of the Hellraiser films released to one theatre where the cast and crew bought all the tickets for all the showings so that the studio could keep the rights

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wasn't one of the Hellraiser films released to one theatre where the cast and crew bought all the tickets for all the showings so that the studio could keep the rights

5-9 were straight to video

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Nightmare on Elm Street 1: Fantastic, a near perfect horror movie. Freddy says "Bitch" a lot and is a total loving freak. 10/10 also:

A scene was cut in which Freddy Krueger calls protagonist Nancy Thompson "a friend of the family". [26] The scene was cut amidst a great deal of protest on the part of Craven and the producers, however the studio refused to let the movie go to screen with the slur intact. [27][28][30] It was uncommon in the 1980s for white characters to be referred to by these terms. [citation needed]

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Anyone see Waxworks from 1988? It's got the guy from Gremlins in it and is a wacky Lil horror comedy but the 2nd one is pretty bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Liquid Drink posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street 1: Fantastic, a near perfect horror movie. Freddy says "Bitch" a lot and is a total loving freak. 10/10 also:

A scene was cut in which Freddy Krueger calls protagonist Nancy Thompson "a friend of the family". [26] The scene was cut amidst a great deal of protest on the part of Craven and the producers, however the studio refused to let the movie go to screen with the slur intact. [27][28][30] It was uncommon in the 1980s for white characters to be referred to by these terms. [citation needed]

lol

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Anyone see Waxworks from 1988? It's got the guy from Gremlins in it and is a wacky Lil horror comedy but the 2nd one is pretty bad.

I want to see them

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Liquid Drink posted:

Friday 9: Jason is only in this for 10 minutes. A good opening followed by the most boring godawful Friday movie. There is a mystical "vorhees dagger" that someone sends Jason to hell. This is only introduced in the last 5 minutes

Friday 9 has a good McRib commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xbe99bQUC0

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Liquid Drink posted:

Lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The last sentence with citation needed really makes it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Liquid Drink posted:

Hellraiser 4: pinhead flies an xwing. Adam Scott plays an emo vampire across time. Pinhead blows up a space ship

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

[looking confusedly at a box] So what does it do

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Hellraiser 10 should have the cube be a fidget spinner

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

The later Hellraisers aren't that bad, there's always at least some interesting weird things. Like in the past segment of part 4 when they summon the demon by skinning this chick alive and having it fill up the empty skin, all rendered with sick practical effects.

Also part 9 does not take place in an MMO, but does have Lance Henrikson sardonically quipping while murdering teenagers.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Zartosht posted:

The later Hellraisers aren't that bad, there's always at least some interesting weird things. Like in the past segment of part 4 when they summon the demon by skinning this chick alive and having it fill up the empty skin, all rendered with sick practical effects.

Also part 9 does not take place in an MMO, but does have Lance Henrikson sardonically quipping while murdering teenagers.

Part 8 is the MMO one and yes it does. Part 9 is found footage. You should be banned for saying 5-9 aren't that bad. gently caress you!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Zartosht posted:

I disagree, the straight-to-video Hellraisers are that bad. 5 and 6 both desperately tried to be clever thrillers and ended up feeling like cheap Jacob's Ladder wannabes, 7 was a plodding slog (or a slogging plod?) 8 was fan film level garbage and 9... well, Hellraiser 9 is just plain the worst movie I think I've ever seen.

I'll agree about the practical effects in 4 being good, at least.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pinhead was supposed to only have nails in his face but in order to keep the nails in the same positions every day the make-up artist had to draw a grid and the director saw this and was like "hold poo poo, geometry is scary" so they kept it.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I disagree, the straight-to-video Hellraisers are that bad. 5 and 6 both desperately tried to be clever thrillers and ended up feeling like cheap Jacob's Ladder wannabes, 7 was a plodding slog (or a slogging plod?) 8 was fan film level garbage and 9... well, Hellraiser 9 is just plain the worst movie I think I've ever seen.

yeah the pinhead in a space ship stuff was absolutely incredible compared to 5-9

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

Pinhead was supposed to only have nails in his face but in order to keep the nails in the same positions every day the make-up artist had to draw a grid and the director saw this and was like "hold poo poo, geometry is scary" so they kept it.

That's awesome

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

http://theringmastersrealm.blogspot.com/2016/01/hellraiser-revelations-2011.html

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I've only seen Hellraiser 1 but it fuckin whips rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I've only seen Hellraiser 1 but it fuckin whips rear end

It's a SSS-tier horror flick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The drop in quality between Hellraiser 1 and ...every single other Hellraiser movie is astonishing

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Nightmare on elm street is the most consistently incredible horror series

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

4 solved the Pinhead vs. Terminator debate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLfx_GN73I&t=73s

trying to jack off posted:

:lol:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

In Training posted:

The drop in quality between Hellraiser 1 and ...every single other Hellraiser movie is astonishing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

phantasm is total classic indie horror
phantasm 2 is fun, has some cool + grody gore and introduces the best sidekick, the four-barrel shotgun
phantasm 3 is where the plot goes off the rails and introduces the worst sidekick: a precocious child
phantasm 4 i think is mostly wandering around a desert for a while plus sphere boobs
phantasm 5 is tall mans have taken over the world somehow, or maybe it was all just the delusions of a dying man???

every phantasm movie picks up directly where the last left off, despite the actors aging decades in the interim

the most important throughline is Reggie is a simple ice cream salesman who just wants to get his dick wet

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hellraiser 2 has a badass soundtrack, and I actually liked the movie too. The big spinning diamond thing was cool even if it didn't really make sense. No clue why they named it Leviathan. Actually I mainly just liked the music and some of the visuals, come to think of it.

Hellraiser 3 was where the series switched to comedy mode and was totally hilarious. CD-launching cyborg guy was my favorite cenobite in this one, though demon doggo comes close. [Edit] Wait no demon doggo was in the 4th one

Hellraiser 4 cranked the absurdity to the max and was thoroughly enjoyable, especially since I first saw it after watching most of Parks & Rec. Once I recognized the guy who plays Ben as a demon-raping aristocrat, I knew poo poo was off the chain, and then it goes into SPACE. What was it about cheesy horror series in the 90s/00s going into space with the 4th installment? I swear there were like three different horror series that did that. I know Leprechaun 4 did... what else? Did Jason go into space?

5 and 6 were terrible, though. I could barely get through 7, and I gave up after that. Doesn't sound like I missed much. First was definitely the best, no doubt.

I also have a replica puzzle box on my desk because I thought the design of it was super cool :) It makes a great paperweight. Or uh, decoration. Who actually uses paperweights as paperweights anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Buff Skeleton posted:

Did Jason go into space?

... No he did not.

• Locked thread