Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Porter apparently did a Virtual Self set to open tonight and I'm so mad.

Also hell yes new Rezz album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

and the lossless audio to Porter’s Second Sky set is on Apple Music. Apple seems to get all the cool DJ mixes and such, and I don’t have it :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Caseman posted:

Porter apparently did a Virtual Self set to open tonight and I'm so mad.

Also hell yes new Rezz album.
That's so dope! I hope I get something like that for my show but that was probably a one time thing. Oh well. I was lucky enough to see Virtual Self on tour a few years ago and it was amazing.

Paperback Writer posted:

and the lossless audio to Porter’s Second Sky set is on Apple Music. Apple seems to get all the cool DJ mixes and such, and I don’t have it :(
I don't have it either :cry: Spotify gets left in the dust when it comes to that stuff lol

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

That's so dope! I hope I get something like that for my show but that was probably a one time thing. Oh well. I was lucky enough to see Virtual Self on tour a few years ago and it was amazing.

I don't have it either :cry: Spotify gets left in the dust when it comes to that stuff lol

They also have a pretty high quality mix of RL Grime Halloween X which was...real good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New TNGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcGssBvCDj4

e: Rezz Rocks night 2 full set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrWoLCOHbw

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 4, 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm in the front row for Porter ahhhhhhh :supaburn:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

prepare to be emotional as soon as that first note of Something Comforting hits

honestly one of my favorite concerts ever, had to see it a second time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Paperback Writer posted:

prepare to be emotional as soon as that first note of Something Comforting hits

honestly one of my favorite concerts ever, had to see it a second time
Omg, that was so intense :aaa:

I think I might have lost my voice from singing along and screaming haha

Jai Wolf was amazing too. Just a hell of an experience all around.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Omg, that was so intense :aaa:

I think I might have lost my voice from singing along and screaming haha

Jai Wolf was amazing too. Just a hell of an experience all around.

Agreed, I was in the second row of the back and I could see some of the light up floor and yeah it was wonderful life affirming poo poo to be in a room with that much positive energy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LionYeti posted:

Agreed, I was in the second row of the back and I could see some of the light up floor and yeah it was wonderful life affirming poo poo to be in a room with that much positive energy.
I was even more thankful for it the next day after I heard about that awful Astroworld situation :( Like, I was at a different sold out show not that far away that very same night, but fortunately the crowd was full of positivity and I had the opposite experience that the Astroworld people had.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Rezz album out now 🌀___🌀

https://twitter.com/cult_of_rezz/status/1461520248473993220

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cav_KkuP4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohd82iIs6cc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXH31MnOSY

I really wanna see her live again now that this album is out. Her new show is probably sick. It was the last time I saw her (like 2 years ago).

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 19, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OPERATIONS vol. 20 is live. As usual, this is mostly D&B, but it takes a very unexpected turn into some house and techno near the end. Very hotcue-intensive, probably the most work I've put in for a planned mix since my Traktor days. I'm really glad I could put this together and share it in time for the Andy C show tonight. Also gently caress, I can't believe there are twenty of these mixes now.

OPERATIONS vol. 20

Tracklist:
Dub Phizix & Lovescene - The Line
Soul Connection - Down On Me
Nymfo - Before Dawn
Alix Perez - Moving On (ft. Liam Bailey) (Break remix)
Dunk - Fake Love
Dub Phizix - God’s Tears
Marcus Visionary - Steady Rock
Simple Simon & Pharoah - Diamond Cut
Zero T - Come & Reprazent
Acid Lab - Amon Re
Makaveli - Cockney Joe
Martyn Nytram - Gunshot
Lupo - Retrograde
Kublai & Minor Forms - Future Motion
BCee & Lucy Kitchen - Surfacing (Emba remix)
Low:r - Bawlin’ Out
NC-17 - Widow Maker
FreezeUK - Stay Focused
Marcus Visionary - Full Control
S.Murk - Hat Spine
Agro & Devilman - Head Top
Sola & Jfal - Rattlesnake
Trex - Let Me Go Again
H20 - Parasite
NC-17 - Bunged Up
Toronto Is Broken - Make Me Feel
Fat Sushi - Life, Death & Robots
Shapov & NERAK - Vetra
Fach - Like This
Boys Noize - Nude (ft. Tommy Cash)
The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl (Kink remix)
The Beatkillers - Like This
Pesnya & Van Murten - Groove
Vagan - Hipster (Oganes remix)
Silque - I Wanna Luv U
Basement Jaxx - Romeo (ft. Kele Le Roc) (Harry Romero remix)
Groove Armada - Superstylin’ (ILL Phil & Lorenzo remix)
Basement Jaxx - Where’s Your Head At (Stanton Warriors remix)
RedLight - Sweat (club mix)
Neon Steve & MARTEN HORGER - Hip Hop

Link to audio-only downloadable/streamable version here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rLDin-SxW3F1Y9mBlu1EzzraS7P-rnYl/view?usp=sharing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's conflicting dates (I've seen the 13th of November 2000 and the 30th of November 2000), but either way, Daft Punk's One More Time is 21 years old :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spotify Wrapped reminded me how much I still listen to EDM from 2011-13. There are exceptions like Eric Prydz who is by far my favorite. Ultra 2013 is when I first seriously got into the genre so it makes me wonder if this is like when people always listen to the music that was popular from high school. Or maybe I’m just becoming a boomer? :thunk:

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Spotify Wrapped reminded me how much I still listen to EDM from 2011-13. There are exceptions like Eric Prydz who is by far my favorite. Ultra 2013 is when I first seriously got into the genre so it makes me wonder if this is like when people always listen to the music that was popular from high school. Or maybe I’m just becoming a boomer? :thunk:

I know how you feel I'm playing breaks from 2008 ish tonight

I do think 11-13 edm was the last gasp of good pop stuff, but I'm super boomer in my dance music taste

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It feels weird to say but the biggest dubstep and trap DJs of 2021 are still playing basically the same exact music the biggest dubstep DJs of 2012-2015 were playing.

Like, if you looked at rock/punk/hardcore music from 1992 and then at 2002, you’d see an entirely new ecosystem of sound. But the EDM space hasn’t experienced a 3rd straight decade of limitless expansion. From 1985-2005 electronic dance music has just been on this constantly organic evolution as sound technology kept changing and production programs received rapid fire upgrades and innovation… I don’t think we’re seeing big leaps in new tech anymore, so we won’t really see big leaps in new sound like we used to.

God, it was always incredible when you’d be rail-riding at a festival and someone would get up there and just make sounds that you’d straight up never heard before. Electric!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's so much good EDM from the early 2010s, like an absurd amount of stuff, and I still listen to some of that stuff too. But while there isn't anywhere near the same volume of stuff coming out nowadays, there is still good stuff coming out. Like the new Rezz album, for example. I've listened to it start to finish at least 10 times since it came out. And 2 of my 5 Spotify Wrapped artists were San Holo and Porter Robinson, who were both making stuff in the early 2010s (well, okay, San Holo's We Rise was 2015) but came out with albums I absolutely adored in 2021.

It's a different time in EDM now than it was like a decade ago for sure, but it's not like there's no good EDM nowadays!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

It feels weird to say but the biggest dubstep and trap DJs of 2021 are still playing basically the same exact music the biggest dubstep DJs of 2012-2015 were playing.

God, it was always incredible when you’d be rail-riding at a festival and someone would get up there and just make sounds that you’d straight up never heard before. Electric!

I pretty much agree with this. It almost seems like if you go to a show and don't hear some of those 2010-2015 tracks dropped, it's a disappointment.

Dang kids with their 808s and future bass. I feel like a lot of the future bass type stuff I've listened to is just based on "yeahhhhh bet ya didn't expect that" and it just ends up sounding like poo poo with no discernable tempo or rhythm.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A hard pivot in BPM is probably the most advanced move a DJ can do and one of the truly skill intensive displays of production acumen that sort of resembles musicianship, which is why they are usually harsh and you gotta just power through it but it’s also why when someone really nails it feels mind blowing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 6, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that one year when you'd walk around a festival and hear flux pavillion's 'i can't stop' playing from multiple stages at the same time

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bust Rodd posted:

A hard pivot in BPM is probably the most advanced move a DJ can do and one of the truly skill intensive displays of production acumen that sort of resembles musicianship, which is why they are usually harsh and you gotta just power through it but it’s also why when someone really nails it feels mind blowing.

I'm constantly on the hunt for tracks that deploy 'metric modulation' as a technique to change tempo, because it's way more fun and challenging as a DJ than using a track that has a rhythmless breakdown or ramped tempo - and personally, I think cranking the pitch fader to manually create a tempo change almost always sounds like poo poo. I haven't found much in the way of metric modulation though, outside of the work of Dirtyphonics - one of them must have been a metal drummer or something, because they use that technique a LOT.

Agreeing with the sentiment that a lot of dubstep especially has remained unchanged since 2012. There are still a few innovators but they're usually not 'dubstep producers' per se, and the rest of the scene is nearly identical eighth-note chainsaw sounds. I pivoted to 'festival trap' a while ago, I mean I rarely play any but those crates in my DJ library still see growth while I largely ignore what's labelled as dubstep. Oddly though, even though the 'deep dubstep' side of things has also remained relatively stale, I still love playing it (see OPS vol. 19). Once a stoner, always a stoner, I guess.

The Walrus posted:

that one year when you'd walk around a festival and hear flux pavillion's 'i can't stop' playing from multiple stages at the same time

I've always hated this song, and honestly most of Flux's output except for Bass Cannon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly I’ve had truly insane experiences hearing new and exciting sounds at shows, sober and definitely not sober, but nothing ever hit me harder than the first time I heard this drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6wE-npE2w

and to be honest I feel like a full 2/3 of all the brostep that came after was just chasing this dragon, forever.

Which is funny, because just now I had to wade through 40 Doctor P remixes and VIO edits to even find it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speaking of new sounds, I went to a Carl Cox show in early October and most of the music was unfamiliar to my ears. So there’s that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone seen deadmau5 live? I hear mixed reviews but he’s playing here tonight and I’m thinking of going.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is he DJing or 'playing live'? Seeing him with the Cube setup in 2011 at the Skydome was one of the best nights of my life*, but I've heard mixed reviews of his other performances and DJ sets, that range from 'rudimentary boring techno' to 'lol he brought a bottle of Szechuan Sauce and gave out samples to the audience, I'm pickle riiiiiick'. The Cube is legit cool though, easily the second-most-interesting visual experience I've seen tied to an EDM artist's button-pushing.

* The 2011 show was particularly awesome because I managed to sneak _seven_ friends onto the floor who only had 100-level tickets. Imagine seeing any musician in a 53,000-seat arena, buying your tickets too late to get on the floor, and having to sit in the bleachers while the artist performs more than 400 feet away in a giant reverberant tin can. Then imagine your friend who bought a ticket early, hands you the ticket that security never took away and says "it's worth a shot, just go back up and tell them you never got a wristband." That this worked as many times as it did, let alone at all, made me feel like a loving hero. Also, so did the cute girl, and the heaping pile of drugs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Is he DJing or 'playing live'? Seeing him with the Cube setup in 2011 at the Skydome was one of the best nights of my life*, but I've heard mixed reviews of his other performances and DJ sets, that range from 'rudimentary boring techno' to 'lol he brought a bottle of Szechuan Sauce and gave out samples to the audience, I'm pickle riiiiiick'. The Cube is legit cool though, easily the second-most-interesting visual experience I've seen tied to an EDM artist's button-pushing.
He's playing at Echostage here in DC so probably a DJ set? And yeah, the Cube is really impressive even though I never saw it live, second only to Holo(sphere).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I saw him with the Cube in I think 2010 and it was loving amazing. I didn't know much about him or his stuff going into that show but it blew me away. I grabbed 4x4=12 after that show and proceeded to bump it in my car like a thousand times. That album is so loving good.

But I saw him do a stripped back set in 2017 with no Cube and no visuals or anything and the energy of that Cube show I'd seen years earlier just wasn't there. I don't know if the Cube is a requirement for a good deadmau5 set, but yeah.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Rezz sounds like psy trance at -16%

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone seen deadmau5 live? I hear mixed reviews but he’s playing here tonight and I’m thinking of going.
Joel came on at 12:30pm and played until 2:45am. The last 15 min were b2b with the 2 openers who then took over after he left. It was a really good show! Much better than the A&B Anjua Family Reunion Tour I attended last week.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3cE9iXIx9c

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think at least part of my aversion to Flux Pavilion's music is that he looks exactly like I did when I was 14.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

So much poo poo being passed back and forth on Reddit between Bassnectar and Illenium fans. From what I can tell, Illenium played a Bassnectar track at a show, people were like, hey, guy, he's currently on trial for sexual assault and human trafficking, maybe don't play his songs right now? So he says "I didn't even know it was a Bassnectar song, it wasn't labeled as such in my library," and Bassnectar fans are climbing way out of the woodwork to look for any way to prove that the clown wasn't a groomer. Again.

Disclosure: Bassnectar was basically what got me into any sort of electronic music. I've been to a number of club shows and festivals he's headlined. I have about six CDs in the binder in my car and I haven't listened to a single one since the allegations against him came out. And I will not.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Walrus posted:

But does it not still loving hit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q9rewnLFYw

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bassnectar released like 25 albums with 15-25 songs and worked with every 2000’s producer except Skrillex. I 100% believe a professional DJ could make that ‘mistake’, or more likely it was a VIP edit of a remix of a collab, so it’s like a Glitch Mob track that Lauren released the best version of so people think it’s a Bassnectar song or something dumb like that.

Wook Epstein was extremely prolific but luckily for me he was more about the stage experience and his live sets. Losing out on his albums is NBD, I hadn’t been bumping them for years anyway, but I remember a 3 hour set he played in Philly in like 2010ish with Nosaj Thing for his opener and it remains the greatest live music experience of my life. It was the summer of his infamous Rage Against the Machine remix, you heard the drop and it truly felt like a bomb had gone off in the room, the way people were rioting.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

worked with every 2000’s producer except Skrillex

did Sonny know? he'd have a sixth sense for sexual abuse after touring with an emo band

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I really hope Borgore is the next EDM artist to get #metoo'd. I loving hate that guy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
any particular reason or do you just hate his vibes?

He's my all time favorite DJ, I just think he makes the heaviest most hosed up tracks. I don't EVER EVER listen to his creepy overtly sexual stuff with female vocalists, mostly just his really dark and super bass heavy trap stuff. I hate "salad", but ive seen him 15+ times, many dead sober, and they are all just totally awesome shows with awesome crowds.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I really hope Borgore is the next EDM artist to get #metoo'd. I loving hate that guy.

Is there evidence to support that? You can hate the guy all you want, but that's kinda hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Borgore put "suck it bitch" before a drop and layered gagging sounds over basslines. The ultra-sexual stuff is juvenile even through the most generous lens. Sure, it might be a joke, or a persona, or just "his art" but in a post Marilyn Manson world it's a bit more complex.