Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw Chromeo a few years ago at the festival I posted about earlier and they ruled. Fancy Footwork and White Women are such amazing albums. I'm down for anything they do.

Also, apparently I've completely lost track of time because when I saw them/when White Women came out was 2014 and I could've sworn that was either 2015 or last year. At least that means their music doesn't age!

Yah I saw Chromeo at Coachella in 2014 and they were amazing. They put on such a great show and are excellent musicians. I actually just received my 10-year anniversary Double-White Vinyl of Fancy Footwork and am stoked to listen to it tonight.

I also couldn't believe how long it had been since White Women came out. Night by Night is still one of my favorite songs ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

White Women was a ridiculously strong album. I've totally lost count of the number of times I listened to that thing start to finish haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY5lgaeki38

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I totally forgot to post this but this is the first track Mord Fustang has released in a while and its very "his style". I loving love his production.

https://soundcloud.com/mordfustang/because-of-you

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just found out a few hours ago that there's a new Emancipator album out tomorrow. His stuff is super chill and not at all big crowd-drawing festival EDM, but the last time I saw him was with Pretty Lights and he seems to usually get lumped into that group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbv-yqqmLH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgPIbSX1mg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAfUUg1_gQ

If you're into stuff like Tycho, Bonobo, Four Tet, RJD2 and even some of Pretty Lights' stuff and you haven't heard of Emancipator, you should really check him out. He's been active for over a decade now and this album that's coming out tomorrow will be his 5th.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Emancipator’s new album is awesome

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SD87 posted:

Emancipator’s new album is awesome
It really is! This was the perfect album to listen to right after waking up. So calming :) The bass on it is unbelievably chill

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah I’ve replayed baralku like five times now and this is his best album imo. I love all his albums but this is the only one I just want to play through from start to finish every time. To me, it feels like a more mature and experimental sounding emancipator and drat it sounds dope

Edit - have you heard of nifty earth? I discovered him the same day baralku dropped and he has a style similar to emancipator but is more on the dancier side. Nifty earth almost sounds like “vintage” emancipator in some parts. After listening to his stuff it actually made me appreciate the new styles showcased on baralku even more

SD87 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 19, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I’m seeing Phantoms tomorrow night at a smaller venue in Sacramento. They do a more live set of electronic music and are incredibly talented. This is the single off of their debut album.

https://youtu.be/VO7ta4bbGgs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Bassnectar track that's a total throwback to old Bassnectar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj2QNP9gEKA

Bassnectar posted:

Naux Faux is a new Bassnectar side project with long-time collaborator Sayr, it’s a throwback to a long-lost era of deep, mystical electronic music: analog synths, shimmering sounds, pulsing chords, chopped up breaks… A tribute to the magical days of the side room, the sunrise set, the discovery of new spellbinding frequencies… Fans of “Mesmerizing the Ultra” will likely find special delight in this…

Although the finishing touches are still being added to the Naux Faux EP (thank you to all patient trainspotters!), we couldn’t resist including this remix of Psyopia on Reflective Part 2. It rounds out this 2nd chapter so nicely, and offers a glimpse of things to come…

Mesmerizing The Ultra was the first Bassnectar album I heard way back in like 2006 or whatever, so this is cool to hear.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Porter Robinson (AKA Virtual Self) EP out now and it's just as bonkers as the singles suggested!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWxv_wfGxCw

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

New Porter Robinson (AKA Virtual Self) EP out now and it's just as bonkers as the singles suggested!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWxv_wfGxCw
This sounds like the credits music to some late 90s/early 00s anime or JRPG

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

This sounds like the credits music to some late 90s/early 00s anime or JRPG
That's pretty much always been the aesthetic he uses for his live show/music video visuals anyway, so it makes sense

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
It's like a techno-mystical love letter to Beatmania IIDX. dj TAKA startled awake in a cold sweat when the streaming links went up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ghost voices reminds me of Disclosure

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Second phase of the lineup for Buku Fest here in NOLA came out and this poo poo is looking loving wild so far.

Bassnectar
Virtual Self (Porter Robinson's first festival appearance with this project)
Borgore
Rezz
Bonobo
Jai Wolf
Mura Masa
Ganja White Night
Alison Wonderland

And there's still one more phase of the lineup coming out after New Year's :vince:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was at a wedding after-party this weekend in a small music venue with a club DJ. I was the first person to make a request, a couple hours in, and asked if he had any Eric Prydz he could play and he said yes, at which point a half dozen other people came up after me to also make requests. After about 20 minutes, he finally got around to playing Every Day, but at that very moment most of the people were taking a break from the dance floor. I didn't want to look like a buffoon jumping around by myself, but in retrospect, I should have and hopefully gotten people to come back and jump around too.

This is gonna bother me for years because I'm just that kind of crazy.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I was at a wedding after-party this weekend in a small music venue with a club DJ. I was the first person to make a request, a couple hours in, and asked if he had any Eric Prydz he could play and he said yes, at which point a half dozen other people came up after me to also make requests. After about 20 minutes, he finally got around to playing Every Day, but at that very moment most of the people were taking a break from the dance floor. I didn't want to look like a buffoon jumping around by myself, but in retrospect, I should have and hopefully gotten people to come back and jump around too.

This is gonna bother me for years because I'm just that kind of crazy.

It is your responsibility to dance when the DJ plays a track you requested, even if you are the only one! I had a similar thing happen where I requested a song at a wedding, and then stepped outside for a smoke break and completely missed the song. The worst part was that apparently everyone went out on the dance floor for it....except me and my wife who were stealthily smoking a hash pen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axPyS2Ko1ck

Okay I can't loving wait to see this live show in a few months :psyboom:

I AM GOING TO BREAK MY NECK

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 12, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

New Autograf Remix that I can't stop playing.

Alma & French Montana - Phases (Autograf Remix)
https://soundcloud.com/autografmusic/phases

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrSargent posted:

It is your responsibility to dance when the DJ plays a track you requested, even if you are the only one! I had a similar thing happen where I requested a song at a wedding, and then stepped outside for a smoke break and completely missed the song. The worst part was that apparently everyone went out on the dance floor for it....except me and my wife who were stealthily smoking a hash pen.
My extreme overreaction was to get tickets to see Eric Prydz at Rebel in Toronto on Friday of NYE weekend. He's also playing Echostage in DC 2 days later on NYE which he has mentioned as one of his favorite clubs, and the Prydz subreddit says his NYE 2014 concert was amazing so that would seem like the obvious choice except:

1) Rebel majorly renovated a year ago and Toronto goons say the sound is super good. Plus moving LED ceiling rings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9A8OkVp6U

2) One of my best friends lives in Buffalo and is willing to go with me and he's happy to get a hotel in Toronto (where I've never been) for the whole NYE weekend.

3) Probably nobody I know in DC would be up for it, plus it would be more than twice as expensive for the whole trip.

This would only be my 5th concert as an adult and the first one I've traveled for, so this is all new to me.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 12, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I saw Prydz about about a year ago in San Francisco for his EPIC 4.0 (?) tour and it was an amazing show. The lasers, oh my god all the lasers.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Josh Lyman posted:

My extreme overreaction was to get tickets to see Eric Prydz at Rebel in Toronto on Friday of NYE weekend. He's also playing Echostage in DC 2 days later on NYE which he has mentioned as one of his favorite clubs, and the Prydz subreddit says his NYE 2014 concert was amazing so that would seem like the obvious choice except:

1) Rebel majorly renovated a year ago and Toronto goons say the sound is super good. Plus moving LED ceiling rings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9A8OkVp6U

2) One of my best friends lives in Buffalo and is willing to go with me and he's happy to get a hotel in Toronto (where I've never been) for the whole NYE weekend.

3) Probably nobody I know in DC would be up for it, plus it would be more than twice as expensive for the whole trip.

This would only be my 5th concert as an adult and the first one I've traveled for, so this is all new to me.

Travelling for shows is awesome! I'm going to Chicago tomorrow to see Illenium and then a couple days after I'll be seeing Tritonal and Seven Lions. It's really awesome when shows line up within a couple days of each other so you can really make the most of your trip.

This is going to be the 8th and 9th show I've seen this year which is crazy because I've pretty much never gone out to shows before this and I'm a little sad I've been missing out all these years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of travelling for shows, anyone else going to Day for Night Fest in Houston this weekend? I'm road tripping there on Friday.

On the EDM-ish side, I'm seeing Pretty Lights (4th time), G Jones, Rezz (3rd time this year) and Justice (2nd time).

Unless you count James Blake as EDM, which I don't. I'm seeing him too though, and it'll be my 2nd time seeing him.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MrSargent posted:

New Autograf Remix that I can't stop playing.

Alma & French Montana - Phases (Autograf Remix)
https://soundcloud.com/autografmusic/phases

Quoting myself because Rageaholic Monkey, I feel like this track is right up your alley and I need validation of my music tastes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrSargent posted:

Quoting myself because Rageaholic Monkey, I feel like this track is right up your alley and I need validation of my music tastes.
You are correct, my man. This fuckin' bangs. Good lookin' out :hfive:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weeeeeeeeird. Just saw Pretty Lights play Day for Night Fest and it wasn't a DJ set or a full band set. He did an improv live techno set with real synthesizers, which didn't sound anything like his usual stuff. It was cool to see and his visuals were on point as always, but there were thousands upon thousands of people in the crowd for that and I'm sure the majority of them didn't expect/want that, which isn't really unreasonable either considering what he usually does. He played a new song to close out the set and it sounded more like his stuff usually does, which I loved but it kinda bummed me out because I wished the whole set had been like that. I've seen him do full sets with his usual stuff before and they loving rule.

But hey, good on him for taking risks. A lot of artists wouldn't have the balls for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are y'all going to any rad New Year's Eve shows? I know Bassnectar's having his NYE thing in Atlanta this year. I fuckin' wish I could go to that.

I'm about to see What So Not. It's not actually a NYE show, but close enough. Last NYE I saw Pretty Lights and Emancipator and that owned.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I was gonna go to Bassnectar NYE but I slept on tickets and it sold out.

Also my work schedule has me waking up around 3am and going to sleep between 6 and 7pm so a 9pm-2am show isn't really a thing that can happen anyway.

:cry:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I went to Eric Prydz in Toronto on Dec 29.

It was v good. My second show ever after Major Lazer in Atlanta a few years ago.

Actually I also saw Outkast's reunion tour in Atlanta a couple years ago and it sucked.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

A bit late to the party, but I ended up going to Decadence NYE CO and it was a loving blast. I really enjoyed Bassnectar's set, and while I didn't I didn't originally care for his remix of Pineapple (or the original), it was so much fun live.

I started listening to his Immersive Mix to ~recapture the magic~, and they're both really solid. I wish he would post more mixes online.
Immersive Mix Side 1
Immersive Mix Side 2

Also really loved Odesza for the ball drop, but I was too far back to actually see their live performance lol. I think I'll just have to go see Odesza at Red Rocks and Bassnectar at his Bass Center show.

Edit: Also I'm a bit sad that RL Grime's Nova album didn't come out during his tour, and is slated for "ealy 2018" now. Hopefully that means ~this month~

blahz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 9, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rezz quit drinking and now she's drinking a lot of water instead. She coordinates times on Twitter (and maybe other social networks too) for her fans to drink a lot of water simultaneously in an attempt to keep them hydrated. Now she's designed a water bottle you can buy with Rezz-themed levels of hydration. It's pretty sweet and genuine, as most Rezz stunts tend to be :3:

https://rezz.merchtable.com/accessories/diluted-brains-waterbottle

$20 for a water bottle, but hell, I'd rather Space Mom be proud of me for achieving *maximum hydration* than just drinking out of any old water bottle.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The markings on that don't even make sense.

Maximum hydration in terms of amount in the bottle would be higher than that.

Maximum hydration in terms of amount you've consumed would be at the bottom.

Maximum hydration and diluted (with water) brain mean the same thing so why are they polar opposite on the bottle?

I think Rezz should carry on drinking because she's already damaged her brain if she designed this.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Would this be the place to post about Above & Beyond/Anjuna? Because the new album is cheesy corny beautiful gooey arena EDM at its finest and man I cannot wait to see them tomorrow in Brooklyn. First time I saw them was a near religious experience.

Them and their Anjuna artists are pretty much the only type of this type of EDM I gently caress with because theres just something about it I have bought into so hard.

The new Lane 8 and Gabriel and Dresden albums are also stellar.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AccountSupervisor posted:

Would this be the place to post about Above & Beyond/Anjuna? Because the new album is cheesy corny beautiful gooey arena EDM at its finest and man I cannot wait to see them tomorrow in Brooklyn. First time I saw them was a near religious experience.

Them and their Anjuna artists are pretty much the only type of this type of EDM I gently caress with because theres just something about it I have bought into so hard.

The new Lane 8 and Gabriel and Dresden albums are also stellar.
Probably. I don't think there's a trance thread (at least not an active one) (which is a shame because I'm a huge mark for some good trance and could really use some recommendations for new trance as it's been years since I really heard any good new stuff), and this new A&B album sounds more like fairly run of the mill EDM than proper trance anyway.

I got into them like 12 years ago when Tri-State came out and I loving loved that album and played it to death, but I haven't kept up with much of what they've been doing since then. Actually, I saw them at a festival like 2 years ago and I cant't remember much about that performance now except that one of my friends got to go on stage with them and push the button, which was a huge deal for her because they're one of her favorite bands ever and that was something she'd been dreaming of doing for years.

I haven't heard the new Lane 8. What are they like? I've never heard them before but they're playing here in like 3 weeks.

Above & Beyond is playing here in March, too, but now that I'm listening to the new album and it's not wowing me or anything combined with not being able to remember much about the last time I saw them is making me think I really don't need to spend loving $50 to see them again.

e: Okay, I guess Common Ground is more vocal trance after all, but it's still not impressing me much.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 28, 2018

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Probably. I don't think there's a trance thread (at least not an active one) (which is a shame because I'm a huge mark for some good trance and could really use some recommendations for new trance as it's been years since I really heard any good new stuff), and this new A&B album sounds more like fairly run of the mill EDM than proper trance anyway.

I got into them like 12 years ago when Tri-State came out and I loving loved that album and played it to death, but I haven't kept up with much of what they've been doing since then. Actually, I saw them at a festival like 2 years ago and I cant't remember much about that performance now except that one of my friends got to go on stage with them and push the button, which was a huge deal for her because they're one of her favorite bands ever and that was something she'd been dreaming of doing for years.

I haven't heard the new Lane 8. What are they like? I've never heard them before but they're playing here in like 3 weeks.

Above & Beyond is playing here in March, too, but now that I'm listening to the new album and it's not wowing me or anything combined with not being able to remember much about the last time I saw them is making me think I really don't need to spend loving $50 to see them again.

e: Okay, I guess Common Ground is more vocal trance after all, but it's still not impressing me much.

I discovered them during a very rough period of my life and they clicked with me so hard that honestly if anything they do isnt pure bad music, I will love it or find a way to love it. They for sure arent really "trance" anymore and lean towards their own brand of EDM.

I just saw their show last night at Barclays in NYC and it was stellar. Set started off meh and then got really really really great by the end. The crowd were die hards and it was electric. Fantastic visuals as well.

Lane8 is very chill and beautiful minimal progressive. Definitely not EDM at all tho. Closer to something like Moderat.
https://youtu.be/xTrggCIS38E

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lane8 is very chill and beautiful minimal progressive. Definitely not EDM at all tho. Closer to something like Moderat.
https://youtu.be/xTrggCIS38E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYwAg_bG9DI

Oh yeah, this is my loving poo poo. Okay, gently caress paying $50 for Above & Beyond tickets. I'm going to Lane8 instead. Thanks for turning me onto them :D

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQGxmRiYrY

I really wish I had known about him earlier because this is so loving good, but at least AccountSupervisor slipped in that recommendation before he played here so I still have a chance to see him!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 28, 2018

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYwAg_bG9DI

Oh yeah, this is my loving poo poo. Okay, gently caress paying $50 for Above & Beyond tickets. I'm going to Lane8 instead. Thanks for turning me onto them :D

Who is opening at your show? Honestly might be worth it for the openers + seeing A&B even if youre not too into them.

Some Anjuna trance acts that are incredible(who might be openers):

Andrew Bayer(unofficial 4th member of A&B)
https://youtu.be/9DbM3WTsWCc

Grums ABGT 200 set is amazing and his Anjuna World Wide 09 mix is also stellar
https://youtu.be/tziBucBWwOw

Spencer Brown
https://youtu.be/KF7AWOVGK-I

Oliver Smith
https://youtu.be/gMWNG6IF2cs

Yotto(just did this weekends BBC Essential Mix)
https://youtu.be/0BG8h4CjxRQ

Oh and if you like Lane 8 absolutely check out Gabriel and Dresdens new album
https://youtu.be/aDTDtt1a9E8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Who is opening at your show? Honestly might be worth it for the openers + seeing A&B even if youre not too into them.

Some Anjuna trance acts that are incredible(who might be openers):

Andrew Bayer(unofficial 4th member of A&B)
https://youtu.be/9DbM3WTsWCc

Grums ABGT 200 set is amazing and his Anjuna World Wide 09 mix is also stellar
https://youtu.be/tziBucBWwOw

Spencer Brown
https://youtu.be/KF7AWOVGK-I

Oliver Smith
https://youtu.be/gMWNG6IF2cs

Yotto(just did this weekends BBC Essential Mix)
https://youtu.be/0BG8h4CjxRQ

Oh and if you like Lane 8 absolutely check out Gabriel and Dresdens new album
https://youtu.be/aDTDtt1a9E8
This is real good stuff, thank you! I listened to these tracks and liked 'em, but I'm gonna have to dive deeper into these artists later when I have more time to.

Spencer Brown is actually the opener at the A&B show here, but since I'm by no means made of money, I've kinda gotta be selective about which shows I spend money on sometimes, and if this one's $50, I don't know that I can justify that. Like I'd absolutely go see Spencer Brown at a festival that had booked a lot of other acts I wanted to see, but $50 seems pretty steep to see him and A&B whose new album I wasn't crazy about.

We'll see. Mardi Gras is coming up real soon (the parades already started), so maybe there's a chance that I'll make crazy money from working during Mardi Gras and have an extra $50 to spend on a ticket after I pay bills and stuff.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

This is real good stuff, thank you! I listened to these tracks and liked 'em, but I'm gonna have to dive deeper into these artists later when I have more time to.

Spencer Brown is actually the opener at the A&B show here, but since I'm by no means made of money, I've kinda gotta be selective about which shows I spend money on sometimes, and if this one's $50, I don't know that I can justify that. Like I'd absolutely go see Spencer Brown at a festival that had booked a lot of other acts I wanted to see, but $50 seems pretty steep to see him and A&B whose new album I wasn't crazy about.

We'll see. Mardi Gras is coming up real soon (the parades already started), so maybe there's a chance that I'll make crazy money from working during Mardi Gras and have an extra $50 to spend on a ticket after I pay bills and stuff.

Oh yeah if its just Spencer Id skip it. Lane 8 is an unbelievable experience live as well so your money is definitely better spent there.

Also do yourself a favor and listen to A&Bs Group Therapy Radio show every week and also Armin Van Burens A State of Trance. Group Therapy is pretty much entirely how I keep up with this stuff. Explore older ones if you can but definitely keep up with it for almost a constant deluge of amazing new trance, progressive, house and EDM.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Lane 8 (who is a solo dude) is incredible. I saw him in Sacramento a little over a year ago and it was a great experience, super chill vibes but you still want to dance all night.

I used to enjoy A&B but just cannot get into their recent stuff. Every song I hear from them on XMRadio sounds exactly the same. Croony, very high pitched vocals to start, followed by the same airy synth pads in the same rhythm.