Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cell does have a personality though, and I'm not just displacing Dragon Ball Abridged into my memories again. Kind of a point is he shows a lot of the worst traits of his genetic components; Goku's fight-happy attitude, Vegeta's pride and arrogance, both the Saiyans' challenge-seeking, Freiza's sadism and tendency to throw tantrums when things don't go his way, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
People want nice, fun Cell from the lazy cashgrab videogames, not sadistic monster Cell from the series those games are supposedly based on. Short memories mean that the most recent iteration is "at least he has a personality now".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cell does have a personality though, and I'm not just displacing Dragon Ball Abridged into my memories again. Kind of a point is he shows a lot of the worst traits of his genetic components; Goku's fight-happy attitude, Vegeta's pride and arrogance, both the Saiyans' challenge-seeking, Freiza's sadism and tendency to throw tantrums when things don't go his way, etc.

There's the problem though, outside of an arc actually about the Z Fighters worst traits being externalised to fight them there's no reason for Cell to exist, he's just a lovely composite of better characters and the only person he has any real grudge with is now a narratively inert side character

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sassassin posted:

People want nice, fun Cell from the lazy cashgrab videogames, not sadistic monster Cell from the series those games are supposedly based on. Short memories mean that the most recent iteration is "at least he has a personality now".

you've got a fair point but I don't know if I'd count Xenoverse as lazy, they're still updating that motherfucker almost 4 years out. There's another content update soon

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How the gently caress did Dr. Gero get Freeza's cells if he didn't follow them to Namek? Is this because Freeza attacked Earth in the original timeline? Does that mean the new timeline's Cell, which was aborted, was weaker?

Actually, weird idea. What if there was no heart virus? Goku never dies of a heart virus in the original timeline so they never need time travel. 17 and 18 are their main bad guys but they also never trained extra. But, they got Goku so they aren't immediately decimated.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

How the gently caress did Dr. Gero get Freeza's cells if he didn't follow them to Namek? Is this because Freeza attacked Earth in the original timeline? Does that mean the new timeline's Cell, which was aborted, was weaker?

Actually, weird idea. What if there was no heart virus? Goku never dies of a heart virus in the original timeline so they never need time travel. 17 and 18 are their main bad guys but they also never trained extra. But, they got Goku so they aren't immediately decimated.

The bugs that were collecting DNA for Cell, grabbed Freeza and King Cold's Cells after their deaths on Earth. Which happened in all Timelines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Freeza died on Earth in both timelines from what we know. It's not hard to get pieces from his corpse.

The second part is hard to say because the Androids in Trunk's timeline are weaker than the ones in the main timeline. The main reason they won is because they were two super strong beings while the strongest the heroes had was Vegeta.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In a hypothetical no Heart Virus timeline, Vegeta probably wouldn't be SSJ since he'd never have the drive to do so with a random SSJ showing up to spur him on.

But Goku wouldn't slack off much either. In theory Goku in his prime could hold his own well enough against the Androids- Gohan did for a while. This could also lead to Vegeta unlocking SSJ and maybe Gohan as well. Goku not being crippled means that the future would probably be dire but not Trunks Bad and they'd overcome pretty easily.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Burkion posted:

In a hypothetical no Heart Virus timeline, Vegeta probably wouldn't be SSJ since he'd never have the drive to do so with a random SSJ showing up to spur him on.

But Goku wouldn't slack off much either. In theory Goku in his prime could hold his own well enough against the Androids- Gohan did for a while. This could also lead to Vegeta unlocking SSJ and maybe Gohan as well. Goku not being crippled means that the future would probably be dire but not Trunks Bad and they'd overcome pretty easily.

And, even if it was "dire", they could always wish everyone back with the Dragonballs. The big issue is that it's a big question if they'd ever reach Super Sayain 2. Cell takes twenty years to mature so he wouldn't awaken at that time. Maybe never awaken since Cell could be discovered and destroyed by the Z-Fighters while fighting Android 17 and 18. So, when Dabura comes around, they boned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still makes me wonder how things went down in the original timeline. It was pretty clear Gero's been observing the characters the whole time and kept up with how powerful they seemed to become and their movements, and likely first thing he did on spotting Freiza and King Cold was send the robo-mosquitos to gather DNA samples.

Could possibly be that after the heart virus killed Goku, Gero got cocky and/or bored and continued experimenting on 17 and 18 until they broke out and killed him, which might be a reason why their attitudes in that timeline are so much more violent and amoral. That and the remaining Z fighters might have gotten more violent and desperate with Goku gone, since they don't have him to rely on to pull their asses out of the fire, and made a worse first impression on them.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Main timeline Gero didn't know about SSJ, so it's fair to say he didn't see first hand the fight with Freeza/Cold either. Gero just looked at Saiyan saga Goku/Vegeta, decided to turn up the power just a wee bit and ended up with half a dozen androids/cyborgs capable of taking over the galaxy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"I didn't see any reason to have my spy drone follow you to Namek. However, I figured I might as well incorporate the alien DNA that conveniently wound up on Earth into Cell."

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 1, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Eh, even if he did get a drone on one of the three ships (counting Vegeta’s pod) that made it to Namek, how would any DNA samples get back to earth? The only one to even leave Namek in a ship was Goku.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

"I didn't see any reason to have my spy drone follow you to Namek. However, I figured I might as well incorporate the alien DNA that conveniently wound up on Earth into Cell."

He did not do that. He just set his computer to auto gather good materials for Cell.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I get the feeling this 'Gero' fella might not have had the best decision making skills.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can say that, but his poo poo almost worked anyway so I mean

At the end of the day, his decisions to relentlessly pursue Goku Death saved the multiverse

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He also killed Goku

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kild posted:

He also killed Goku

Thus saving the multiverse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gero is basically the Lex Luthor of Dragon Ball; he could have revolutionised the world if he wanted to but was too petty and malicious, and does good by accident.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Not really that petty when you consider Goku killed his son

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Officially his son was just killed in action. No direct indication Goku did it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Both he and his son were part of a Nazi PMC.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He did not do that. He just set his computer to auto gather good materials for Cell.

Come on man, just leave him in the impression that Gero is back at home twiddling his joystick as he carefully maneuvers the bug close enough to harvest.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Neo_Crimson posted:

Both he and his son were part of a Nazi PMC.

A "make a man with dwarfism tall" PMC actually.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gero is basically the Lex Luthor of Dragon Ball; he could have revolutionised the world if he wanted to but was too petty and malicious, and does good by accident.

ButIDon'tWantToCureCancer,IWantToMurderGoku.jpg

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gero is basically the Lex Luthor of Dragon Ball;

"When no one was looking, Dr. Gero built 20 androids. He built 20 androids. That's as many as two tens. And that's terrible."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The way it breaks down is this.

Bulma is the most successful scientist, when it comes to actually doing the poo poo she wanted to do. Gero is the greatest scientist in the multiverse with far more impressive accomplishments, he just can't succeed at the one thing he wants.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Burkion posted:

Bulma is the most successful scientist, when it comes to actually doing the poo poo she wanted to do. Gero is the greatest scientist in the multiverse with far more impressive accomplishments, he just can't succeed at the one thing he wants.

Bulma made a time machine, something not even the gods could do. Gero doesn't hold a candle to anything Bulma's done.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Bulma made a time machine, something not even the gods could do. Gero doesn't hold a candle to anything Bulma's done.

He saved the multiverse

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I mean, Bulma tamed Vegeta. They woulda lost without Vegeta.

Ergo, Bulma saved the multiverse too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

The one thing Dr. Gero wanted to do was killing Goku, which he succeeded at. That his creations then went and saved the multiverse was a nice bonus on top of it.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Future Bulma did that though. Present Bulma was not allowed to.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

"When no one was looking, Dr. Gero built 20 androids. He built 20 androids. That's as many as two tens. And that's terrible."

I appreciates this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaze Dragon posted:

The one thing Dr. Gero wanted to do was killing Goku, which he succeeded at. That his creations then went and saved the multiverse was a nice bonus on top of it.

Gero in no way killed Goku. Gero did not invent high cholesterol nor did he make Goku gently caress up the final battle and have to take an L.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Gero in no way killed Goku. Gero did not invent high cholesterol nor did he make Goku gently caress up the final battle and have to take an L.

I mean he invented Cell who blew up Goku, so...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Still upset at how obscenely hot Gero's wife is

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dr.gero was probably bishonen in his youth

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Stairmaster posted:

Insert silent scream here

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Stairmaster posted:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Only valid if he’s in his puffy clown outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MorningMoon posted:

Gero in no way killed Goku. Gero did not invent high cholesterol nor did he make Gohan gently caress up the final battle and have to take an L.