Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gohan actually wanted to kill Boo. However, Gotenks still lived, so Gohan got chumped again.

Vegito was badass though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Momomo posted:

Buu was an arc where Goku tried his hardest to prepare his friends to take care of the world on their own, but they're somehow even bigger gently caress ups than he is, so he has to fix it all in the end anyway.

It's annoying that Toriyama clearly had no idea what to do, but he still dragged it out to hell and back, and had characters act as stupid as possible just to keep it rolling.

The whole arc was really funny in retrospect when we found out that Future Trunks resolved the whole thing by just killing Dabura and Babidi ASAP.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: nvm

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 23, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

amigolupus posted:

The whole arc was really funny in retrospect when we found out that Future Trunks resolved the whole thing by just killing Dabura and Babidi ASAP.

That reminds me of a pretty neat side story in Dragon Ball Multiverse where Future Gohan lived to the Buu Arc. Only because the Androids destroyed everything, Babidi's attempt at reviving Buu didn't work, so Gohan just blew him and his boys up and was like "Well, that was weird." and went home.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I grew up with Buu being one of the first villains I've ever seen do some of the poo poo he does and it's always stuck with me, so I have a lot of affection for the Buu Saga more than most do I think. Like among the cool poo poo like Fusion and a lot of Buu's powers there's a lot of emotional heights like Vegeta's sacrifice, Mr. Satan's commanding of the people of earth to give energy, and the entire final monologue Vegeta has about Goku being the best.

Buu's just cool as hell too imo. A lot of the ways he killed people are very visceral and while not bloody, were still pretty hosed up and brutal. His powers were all also very unique and his shifts from form to form are so wild. It's some cool rear end poo poo in my opinion.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've re-read some of the Buu saga and got to this great bit. Everyone's gone back to the lookout to figure out how to beat Buu. Goku says they could have used Fusion, but the only people he could fuse with were Vegeta and Gohan (who was just knocked out cold at the time). So when Bulma and the others summoned Shenlong and wished to resurrect the good people that died that day, everyone probably thought they could have Goku and Gohan fuse...

...Except Shin loving took Gohan with him to the Sacred World of the Kais so that plan went out of the window.

Even when trying to help, Shin manages to gently caress things up. :lol:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I do wonder how the cast would have reacted to Mr. Satan making friends with Buu. I remember one of the games, Supersonic Warriors 2, having a scenario where Gotenks comes across that exact thing and can't bring himself to hurt Buu. So Goten and Trunks wind up making friends with him instead.

Maybe I should do a Let's Play of that game. It'd be pretty easy to record.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I do wonder how the cast would have reacted to Mr. Satan making friends with Buu. I remember one of the games, Supersonic Warriors 2, having a scenario where Gotenks comes across that exact thing and can't bring himself to hurt Buu. So Goten and Trunks wind up making friends with him instead.

poo poo dog even if I'm the only one who watches it there's an audience

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'd watch that too. Both Supersonic Warriors have very neat what-ifs that deserve to be shown.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Still remember the what if where Mr Satan befriends Broly that is by and large the same as his story with Buu, but god is that still a funny rear end idea.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Now I'm sad Super Broly didn't do that. Like Cheelai and the other guy can still be there, but just have them shack up with Satan instead of the deserted planet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think having Broly and Buu in the same house is a very bad idea.

Y'know, I do wonder if Videl moving out might have left Mr Satan with a bit of empty nest syndrome if he didn't have Buu to manage.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think having Broly and Buu in the same house is a very bad idea.

Y'know, I do wonder if Videl moving out might have left Mr Satan with a bit of empty nest syndrome if he didn't have Buu to manage.

Oh definitely
Mr. Mark Satan would be lonely in his huge home were it not for buu breaking half of it every once in a while

Oh that buu

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I remember watching the original Buu saga and being mad about how excruciatingly slow it was. It seemed like every episode was 20 minutes of a recap of the last episode and then something new would happen and it would be NEXT TIME ON DRAGONBALL Z!

Faulconer score owned, don't @me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I miss the broadcast dub Super Buu voice

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Faustian Bargain posted:

I remember watching the original Buu saga and being mad about how excruciatingly slow it was. It seemed like every episode was 20 minutes of a recap of the last episode and then something new would happen and it would be NEXT TIME ON DRAGONBALL Z!

I remember that being a lot more prevalent on Namek, which was because of the animations teams being split up to work on the movies or something. Which also explains why Namek to the Androids arc looks like

while Cell onwards is more

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really, really do not like the Bruce faulconer music, made everything so serious, and when they picked up where they left off (when gohan gets his neck broken by recoome) the music was so loud I couldn't tell what the new dub voice actors we're saying.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Hmm, I remember Cell being

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It is very possible that I just have a bias. :v:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

let's all argue about bad animation that'll be fun

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no one's arguing about bad animation

we're celebrating it

if dragon ball didn't look like boiled rear end a third of the time it just wouldn't be dragon ball

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Babe Magnet posted:

no one's arguing about bad animation

we're celebrating it

if dragon ball didn't look like boiled rear end a third of the time it just wouldn't be dragon ball

Because it does look like boiled rear end a third of the time, it can excel and have flame-broiled rear end animation for a

Well a fraction of that, but when it looks good it looks good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Saiyan Saga and Buu Saga respectively have the overall best art and animation of the series with extremely different style between the two

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Aurora posted:

let's all argue about bad animation that'll be fun

Heaven forbid we talk about the actual series instead of a dead fan parody web series for pages on end :rolleyes:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Burkion posted:

Because it does look like boiled rear end a third of the time, it can excel and have flame-broiled rear end animation for a

Well a fraction of that, but when it looks good it looks good

Post your favorite bit of pointlessly gorgeous animation! Mine's the weird thing Cell does with his hands before he decks Goku.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Nanigans posted:

Heaven forbid we talk about the actual series instead of a dead fan parody web series for pages on end :rolleyes:

Yeah you're right, we should go back to talking about what really matters: Team four star.

Apparently they are going to reorganize their gaming channel because it has been hard to do anything with it lately.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Post your favorite bit of pointlessly gorgeous animation! Mine's the weird thing Cell does with his hands before he decks Goku.

My favorite bit of pointless animation will always be those weirdass hand motions Trunks makes right before the Burning Attack.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSnuAkBzA-Y&t=142s

This should start right as Vegeta tries beam spamming Freeza.

That whole sequence is really drat good- Vegeta starting the beam spam, Freeza dodging it all lazily, Piccolo realizing what's about to happen and grabbing the two runts to get out of the way

It's almost cinematic at points. This has always stood out to me as some of the best animation in Dragon Ball

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Piccolo dodging Cell's punch in the most extra way just to get behind him for the roundhouse kick is superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3d2wgGM_ko&t=113s

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TheHan posted:

Piccolo dodging Cell's punch in the most extra way just to get behind him for the roundhouse kick is superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3d2wgGM_ko&t=113s

this is legit probably my favorite moment in the entire series, fight-wise

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
25 years later and this still looks clean as hell
https://sakugabooru.com/data/75b9a864990fadd5e99cbff46fbac0b6.mp4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it has been more or less a consistent rule throughout the entirety of dragonball's life as an anime that for every single awesome-looking episode there will be at least two or three incredibly dopey-looking ones next to it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

VanSandman posted:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I only watched the cell saga and buu during the initial kai run (also the last half of the frieza saga)

Gotta admit I kinda enjoyed buu more just because it felt less dark than cell and toriyama just felt like going full stupid on everything. Yeah I know somehow the arc where everyone loving dies seeming less dark than the one where mainly goku gets blown up is dumb shut up.

Also the buu kai soundtrack is 90's as gently caress and it was cool to hear some of those tracks in super.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

track day bro! posted:

I only watched the cell saga and buu during the initial kai run (also the last half of the frieza saga)

Gotta admit I kinda enjoyed buu more just because it felt less dark than cell and toriyama just felt like going full stupid on everything. Yeah I know somehow the arc where everyone loving dies seeming less dark than the one where mainly goku gets blown up is dumb shut up.

Also the buu kai soundtrack is 90's as gently caress and it was cool to hear some of those tracks in super.

Buu's Kai theme is absolutely one of my favorite themes in the series.

https://youtu.be/_30_3FWBNb0

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fusion Reborn looks so good that it's kind of scary.

Woozie66 posted:

:yeah:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

some old favorites

https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/751afe9f87cb3628a88c4d322dd9fe3b.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/ac70393f61c93169d788b41c54e604df.mp4
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/6341a7724790262177bccc59426588cd.mp4

and, of course, driving cars
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/6ba766c07240638ece2c64c4bd6a148b.mp4

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Woozie66 posted:

gently caress i forgot about that one too, I love it they all have this 90's PS1 soundtrack stank to em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NC1FVgvSwg

They used Piccolos theme in one of the super episodes where they show gohan going 'mystic' again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vK_u3AStQA

The only one that is a bit eh is the SSJ3 theme, but that got re-used a bunch of times in Super.

Edit: Also yeah I fukken love the Vegeta Goku fight in buu, even though it gets cut way short.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Nanigans posted:

i hate abridged but handpicking your favorite 'bad anime quality' is worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

this one looks so loving good in dokkan

https://youtu.be/hdMWOhV0e0U