Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kild posted:

Vegeta will unlock whatever the opposite of UI is where you think too much. SSBrain.

That's Super Saiyan Calvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Legendary Stupid Saiyan

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
That's Goku's formal name.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

"Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" is a dumbass name. they really hosed that one up

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
They also immediately shorten it to Super Saiyan Blue, so like...what was even the point?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

With just a little more planning and foresight they could have had red = Saiyan God / blue = Super Saiyan God, especially as red doesn't share any of the visual signifiers of the other SSJ forms to begin with

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

multijoe posted:

With just a little more planning and foresight they could have had red = Saiyan God / blue = Super Saiyan God, especially as red doesn't share any of the visual signifiers of the other SSJ forms to begin with

Pointedly, not only does it not share any visual signifiers of other SSJ forms, it explicitly just looks like the base form of whoever except red, so this would have worked real well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

they just hosed up being way too eager to use Super Saiyan for marketing terms
red form is literally just "Base Form Mortal Goku -> Base Form Divine Goku" and Blue is "going normal old yellow Super Saiyan but while in Divine form"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That requires foresight Toryiama doesn’t have

Hell Super Sayain 2 wasn’t called that until well into the Buu saga wasn’t it

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I actually love Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan for how dumb it is.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Eh Super Saiyan God has never really felt like a "base" form, so the name seems fitting enough. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is more of a joke name that the series even makes fun of. I find it odd they don't seem to every use Super Saiyan Blue in any of the games though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt it is, if anything it might have been the power up Goku was supposed to chase before that idea got scrapped for whatever reason

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Momomo posted:

Eh Super Saiyan God has never really felt like a "base" form, so the name seems fitting enough. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is more of a joke name that the series even makes fun of. I find it odd they don't seem to every use Super Saiyan Blue in any of the games though.

Trademarks, afaik.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

pik_d posted:

I actually love Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan for how dumb it is.

yeah its a good low key joke

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The problem with Super Saiyan God is they blew their "Super Saiyan" wad and should have just called it "Saiyan God" so that Blue could be called "Super Saiyan God," but there was no plan for that and no way to know it would continue so

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just realized that they managed to quietly set themselves up to dodge a bullet none of them want fired- by having Goku diverge from Super Saiyan Blue with Kaioken and then UI, and Vegeta take over the Blue advancement with Royal Blue, they've avoided an eventual scenario where a "Super Saiyan Blue 3" would be conceptually possible and necessary as a next step for Goku.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black August posted:

I just realized that they managed to quietly set themselves up to dodge a bullet none of them want fired- by having Goku diverge from Super Saiyan Blue with Kaioken and then UI, and Vegeta take over the Blue advancement with Royal Blue, they've avoided an eventual scenario where a "Super Saiyan Blue 3" would be conceptually possible and necessary as a next step for Goku.

It's not too surprising they did, considering the idea of numbered Blue levels appeared basically as soon as Blue itself did within the fandom. I imagine Toei's team knew exactly what they were doing by introducing Blue Kaio-ken as the actual next level.

Though Toriyama himself may have to do with that since he's implied he's not too fond of SS2 and 3, with even Broly dropping them entirely in favour of SS/God/Blue as the Super Saiyan tiers, so he wouldn't exactly want more of that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah. And nobody wants to see 3 with dark blue hair. I did like how Broly both slimmed down the levels to just gold/red/blue, but also introduced pseudo-4 with Wrath and then good old Actual Legendary by having Broly's unique form able to brawl with Blues.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously Blue 3 would just turn you bald, while growing blue brows down to waist level.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ah yes, Super Saiyan 'Sign'

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I love how it's listed as a technique on the Dragon Ball wiki despite there being a note at the bottom of the page that points out it was a hasty recolor to accommodate the fact that Goku revealed Super Saiyan to Pikkon later in the tournament.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Goku did a lot of wacky stuff in the afterlife, like the beta of Super Saiyan Kaioken

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

mmkay posted:

Obviously Blue 3 would just turn you bald, while growing blue brows down to waist level.

Gohan Calvo at least.

Jokes aside at some point even MUI is going to basically be Super Saiyan Silver.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Then the only choice Goku will have is to innovate into greater power is to adopt his own psychology and divine soul, to fight with 「We Were Angels」 by his side!

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I love how it's listed as a technique on the Dragon Ball wiki despite there being a note at the bottom of the page that points out it was a hasty recolor to accommodate the fact that Goku revealed Super Saiyan to Pikkon later in the tournament.

they should have just tied it to the kinda-not-really Super Saiyan thing from the Lord Slug movie instead of making it some other kinda-not-really Super Saiyan thing

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

At the least, they did canonize the concept of False Super Saiyan with Ultra Instinct Omen.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

sup

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels like a good opportunity for at least a goofy tie-in game or something would be actually taking advantage of all the new universes they introduced. Given they already have Freiza taking some interest in other universes, they could have a multiversal Legion of Doom, bringing up some of the supervillains that the Maiden Squadron and Pride Troopers fight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

gently caress. I just realised Ultra Instinct is basically the Avatar State.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

gently caress. I just realised Ultra Instinct is basically the Avatar State.

Its really not though.

They don't function at all alike.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah UI is nothing like the Avatar State

One is achieving angel-divine void mind, the other is manifesting every past life and their elemental power

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean it's a divinity-adjacent super-mode that makes you run on autopilot and use all your powers with maximal efficiency while making you glow white, which takes an absurd amount of proper focus of energy and training with a weird mystic guru to achieve and is key for fighting the final boss who's a guy that wears a lot of red

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's Musou Tensei but even dumber

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it's a divinity-adjacent super-mode that makes you run on autopilot and use all your powers with maximal efficiency while making you glow white, which takes an absurd amount of proper focus of energy and training with a weird mystic guru to achieve and is key for fighting the final boss who's a guy that wears a lot of red

counterpoint his name is jiren the gray

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
UI is really cool i just wish DB actually gave slightly more of a poo poo and explained how the gently caress jiren even remotely kept up with it given how it functions lore wise

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
"ah hey goku basically has reached apotheosis of martial arts and now has the energy of an entire universe pumping inside of him like a battery while his thoughts provide no barrier to his movements or actions"

"yeah but jirens like, REALLY upset about not being the strongest"

i understand we can just say goku couldn't handle the form for that long due to not mastering it or w/e

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tbp posted:

UI is really cool i just wish DB actually gave slightly more of a poo poo and explained how the gently caress jiren even remotely kept up with it given how it functions lore wise

Jiren's entirely thing is that he is absurdly, bizarrely, unnaturally strong through a combination of natural ability and literally dedicating himself to nothing but training and fighting at the exclusion of all else. (Which differs him from Goku who dedicates himself to training and fighting but still maintains friendships and family connections.)

It isn't even unprecidented in Dragonball since Frieza himself was just "dude who was absurdly unnaturally strong through sheer genetics" and we saw from Frieza that the thing keeping him from being god-level was literally an unwillingness to actually try to better himself. Jiren is basically Goku + Frieza combined (Tons of natural talent and tons of training) which is why the two of them had to team up to take him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jiren is stronger than the Destroyers, he’s fuckin ugly idiot powerful