Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

drrockso20 posted:

The important thing is that Tien has cool moves, is usually really fun to play as in fighting games, and in a series full of people really good at screaming his voice actor still manages to be one of the best at it(at least his English one, not sure about his Japanese one since I usually don't pay attention to that version)

to be fair, Yamcha was insanely fun in Budokai 2, because Wolf Fang Fist let you button mash for like 40 hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Caidin posted:

Is there a particularly good reason Super Heroes was out in theaters like half a year ago and I still can't seem to watch it anywhere for at least another month?

I'm pretty pissed about that too because I had Covid the only week it was here. I can find a poo poo dub obviously recorded from someone's phone but other than that I'm stuck waiting with everyone else. I can't even filez it from what I can tell.

Kanos posted:

The funny thing is that all of the "Krillin is a dumb panicky scaredy cat clown" stuff Toei added to make Krillin less cool had literally the opposite effect for me and made me think he was one of the coolest dudes in the cast.

This is a dude who is insanely out of his depth at all times. On an continual basis, this poor dude is being called to save his friends and/or the world from malevolent beings that are far enough beyond him that he basically stands no realistic chance of beating them in a fight. But he always shows up and he never backs out, even if he's scared shitless and is completely aware that he has no shot. He does all of this without being a fight addict or adrenaline junkie, simply because he knows his friends need him.

I really like the "Krillin gets his groove back" episode in Super because it pretty much makes the "Krillin is scared shitless but is actually courageous as gently caress because he shows up and comes through anyway" text instead of subtext.

That's exactly where I got my Krillin love from. The first episodes of DBZ I ever saw as a kid were in the Saiyan arc with him loving up the Saibamen after the person I knew as "cocky not-Goku with cool scars" got exploded. Then this little bald monk dude shows up and gets pissed, all his friends are literally like "I don't know wtf he's about to do but we don't want to be here when he does it". Man, what a badass. Then he goes toe to toe with someone like three times his height and manages to get some hits in through speed and guile. That's the guy I want in my corner.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 1, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krillin oneshotting like four Raditz a year after Goku and Piccolo had to do a murder suicide to take out *one* is genuinely one of those insanely impressive things that gets instantly overlooked.

It is like Trunks killing two Friezas but it isn't a Saiyan.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Toriyama shoulda let krillin kill nappa

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

TheHan posted:

Toriyama shoulda let krillin kill nappa

There's a universe out there somewhere where Krillin lopped off Nappa's head and instead of Goku showing up to save Gohan from Nappa it's Goku showing up to Vegeta pounding the stuffing out of poor Krillin.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

New Leaf posted:

There's a universe out there somewhere where Krillin lopped off Nappa's head and instead of Goku showing up to save Gohan from Nappa it's Goku showing up to Vegeta pounding the stuffing out of poor Krillin.

That's probably the universe from Multiverse where Krillin becomes the Turtle Hermit.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Or the timeline where Krillin is brutally murdered by Vegeta and Goku arrives just in time to immediately forget Kaioken in favor of Super Saiyan

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Krillin oneshotting like four Raditz a year after Goku and Piccolo had to do a murder suicide to take out *one* is genuinely one of those insanely impressive things that gets instantly overlooked.

It is like Trunks killing two Friezas but it isn't a Saiyan.

It's like how yamcha handling one of the saibamen until he gets surprise suicide bombed gets memed into yamcha getting owned. Everyone but tien and chiaotsu get a good showing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 1, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Any universe where Vegeta isn't around to let Cell go perfect is a better universe.

Dumbest poo poo ever.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think that early Tien bias made sense considering people generally like villain redemption stories and frankly he, along with the rest of the humans were underused in those first few Z sagas.

Yamcha's arguably the most conventionally interesting as a deconstructed character--a big time sports star, who knows maybe the greatest and most beloved baseball player ever, and he spends his prime years feeling training in inadequacy towards being the best punch man he could be while being disrespected by his favored peers and losing his amazing girlfriend to a literal super villain. I'd be down for a story that just follows his life's misadventures.

In a strictly DB universe sense though, Krillin is tops.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Shinjobi posted:

Any universe where Vegeta isn't around to let Cell go perfect is a better universe.

Dumbest poo poo ever.

It’s fun how Vegeta is a good side villain for the cell/android arcs. He keeps showing up as a new flavor of super saiyan and making things worse.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

iamsosmrt posted:

I think that early Tien bias made sense considering people generally like villain redemption stories and frankly he, along with the rest of the humans were underused in those first few Z sagas.

Yamcha's arguably the most conventionally interesting as a deconstructed character--a big time sports star, who knows maybe the greatest and most beloved baseball player ever, and he spends his prime years feeling training in inadequacy towards being the best punch man he could be while being disrespected by his favored peers and losing his amazing girlfriend to a literal super villain. I'd be down for a story that just follows his life's misadventures.

In a strictly DB universe sense though, Krillin is tops.

Doesn't Yamcha live in kind of a shithole though? Seems like he squandered all his wealth and despite his apparent good looks he's too hung up on Bulma to find someone other than a magic floating cat to spend his life with. Didn't he have a "sports car" at one point that he crashed into Capsule Corp? Like you can fly motherfucker, why would you waste money on a car?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think Yamcha just lives like that because he’s comfortable with bandit life

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Dumbest poo poo ever.

Outside of Namek he makes everything worse. Hell on Namek his biggest contribution is getting the poo poo kicked out of him long enough for someone else to show.

It isn't until the absolute end of Buu that he is not a net negative for everyone and even that us debatable because his mid life crisis *caused* Buu in the first place.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's still intensely funny that the lesson Vegeta took away from the entire "oops I let Cell go Perfect to prove how awesome and cool I was and the result was me getting beaten almost to death, my son dying, and the entire world nearly being destroyed" fiasco was to double down and gently caress up even harder in the Buu arc.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

New Leaf posted:

Doesn't Yamcha live in kind of a shithole though? Seems like he squandered all his wealth and despite his apparent good looks he's too hung up on Bulma to find someone other than a magic floating cat to spend his life with. Didn't he have a "sports car" at one point that he crashed into Capsule Corp? Like you can fly motherfucker, why would you waste money on a car?

To be fair, that was in Tree of Might, which like tripled down on Yamcha sucking.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

To be fair, that was in Tree of Might, which like tripled down on Yamcha sucking.

I couldn't remember if that was in a movie or early Saiyaman stuff. In Super when he was expecting Goku to come knocking to invite him to the ToP he was in some bare bones shithole 1 room apartment with a crack in the wall.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I personally don't really care for Krillin. Part of it is just his design. I don't respect the bald noseless freak of nature. The other part is just his early characterization (in dragonball) of being a pervert, though that was ultimately a minor part.

Also he became a cop and I just can't respect that.

There's also a fandom factor to it where I just hate his signature technique due to all the fan wank about it.

Also didn't Yamcha get kicked out of baseball due to them assuming he was cheating/doping? Not exactly a success story

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm pretty sure every mention of Yamcha playing baseball is an invention of Toei, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I'm apparently wrong! It was early DBZ filler, but Toriyama suggested it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yamcha is funny to me because he's a top-level superhuman and baseball star, an earth best and the protag of any other shonen setting, but in Dragon Ball he's fighting with a lingering complex of having once dated God and losing her to being young and dumb and also being x9999 weaker than this kid he knew growing up who is the Einstein of punches and his Saiyan husband, a psychotic punch prince who is also husband to God

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

(like in retrospect its kind of weird that the Kamehameha is the only thing Roshi actually taught any of his pupils beyond generic anime martial arts)

He never taught Kamehameha to Goku/Yamcha/Krillin. They picked it up on their own, without his knowledge/input.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mmkay posted:

He never taught Kamehameha to Goku/Yamcha/Krillin. They picked it up on their own, without his knowledge/input.

Which makes him even worse as a teacher, he taught them basically jack poo poo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

he taught them the anyone-can-learn fundamentals to martial arts and proper self care which forms the foundations for achieving any level of UI, that's better than any flashy technique

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

He taught Goku and Krillin to read.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah Roshi taught them how to actually do stuff, not just a technique.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

He taught Goku and Krillin to read.

He also taught Goku to always be hungry for the W and not rest on his laurels, which was the most important lesson of all

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

He taught them the fundamentals of wearing weighted stuff to condition your body, something that informed Goku and Vegeta's training the rest of the series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

drrockso20 posted:

The reason why Goku is always blowing past Vegeta is because Roshi taught him how to train properly and maximize his gains. Vegeta is too stubborn to learn any differently, so he's always having to catch up.

Goku developing Full Powered Super Saiyan in the Cell Arc while Vegeta just goes "BIGGER MUSCLES" is a great example of what I mean.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Roshi taught Goku and Krillin a healthy lifestyle and a healthy approach to martial arts rather than simply giving them techniques to copy. The techniques aren't the point, because when you have fundamentals you can come up with your own.

It's also why Whis isn't teaching Goku and Vegeta the Super Angel Death Beam or whatever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Master roshi is canonically the best martial arts teacher in the multiverse. It's why in the ToP at his moment of death he reiterates the core principles of his teachings to Krillin and Goku, because that is what got them that far in the first place.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Move well! Learn well! Play well, eat well, and rest well! Enjoy your lives merrily, and to the fullest! The Kame style is with you! This is the greatest, most powerful...Kamehameha!

If that moment didn't make you feel something, I dunno what to say.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nanigans posted:

Move well! Learn well! Play well, eat well, and rest well! Enjoy your lives merrily, and to the fullest! The Kame style is with you! This is the greatest, most powerful...Kamehameha!

If that moment didn't make you feel something, I dunno what to say.

That and Krillin and Goku's reaction really cement why I do not give a poo poo about Bardock at all. That's not goku's dad, he's just some alien rear end in a top hat who died fighting a war by himself. That drunk old pervert is Goku and Krillin's dad.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That and Krillin and Goku's reaction really cement why I do not give a poo poo about Bardock at all. That's not goku's dad, he's just some alien rear end in a top hat who died fighting a war by himself. That drunk old pervert is Goku and Krillin's dad.

Well, don't forget Grandpa Gohan, but yes.

Listen, I know Roshi is a sex pest, but I at least appreciate that the dude tried to move past that leading up to the tournament in Super.

And if his FighterZ dialogue is any indication, it's basically a trait they're dropping completely from him. He was squeaky clean in that.

Of course, I say that, but I do remember Toyotaro writing him to try to molest the prisoner girls in the Moro arc...:sigh:

I really want to like the funny old hermit part of the character, but it's hard when they keep doing that poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bardock is Goku's father, Gohan and Roshi are his grandpas

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bardock? More like...fart....knock

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nanigans posted:

That's his grandpa.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I probably should have been more clear I was intentionally exaggerating when I said that as a joke, though at the same time some of Roshi's other techniques probably would have been useful for his pupils to know, like the Buu Saga probably could have been short-circuited if Goku had known how to use the Mafuba at that time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's extremely funny that in the Kakarot DLC for Bardock it's presented that saiyans actually do care about their kids, original Z Bardocck is just a dick and the rest of his team is like "drat, dude"

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

KittyEmpress posted:

Also didn't Yamcha get kicked out of baseball due to them assuming he was cheating/doping? Not exactly a success story

I thought that was in post-ending DBZA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nanigans posted:

:yeah: