Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ramadu posted:

Yeah I never made it out of the first like 3 or 4. I just sorta chalked the love up to nostalgia and the humor of the time being funny. There's a lot of 2000s stuff like that tbh, especially comedy. Looooots of 2000s comedy has aged poorly to put it nicely.

Perfectly understandable, but it does legitimately get better once you get out of the first season at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think even TFS themselves said that they believe that the Raditz stuff is their weakest material.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think even TFS themselves said that they believe that the Raditz stuff is their weakest material.

To give them some credit it's basically on the same level as YGO Abridged was.

Holy poo poo if you want to see "badly aging" go check that out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To give them some credit it's basically on the same level as YGO Abridged was.

Holy poo poo if you want to see "badly aging" go check that out.

Yeah, that one’s also really rough in the early days (I think it got better later but I haven’t really been following it for a while).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I liked the more recent (as in, the last 12 months or so) YGO Abridged eps, mostly since they actually did some half interesting stuff and even went into the characterisation of Yugi and the Pharaoh. Things got a little meta.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In the early days of the internet, a guy making a penis joke about an elephant was groundbreaking. In the first age of internet peeps, having a working microphone, accounting for background noise, and writing a script made you a star. You could just spam "catchphrases," as we called them back in the time, and "references," another name for them, and get a billion views. Nowadays, expectations have raised. Meme-humour is unfunny trash. You need more than just a microphone: you need a camera, a twitter account, an instagram, twitch streams, acting ability, master-of-ceremonies experience, and a litany of other things. Like any maturing industry, the wild-west-days were anyone could become a star are dying. Corporations are already taking over. In ten years, stars will be hand-picked by large companies. Some of these corporations will be founded by current internet stars who then sold these talent houses to ancient forever-corporation. All of our internet media will be driven by the whims and interests of billionaires, just as all other forms of media are, and we will never see content that is radical or uncomfortable for that class unless they consent to that creation. And you will have to pay a service fee ontop of your internet connection to watch.

That's capitalism, baby.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

YGO abridged is still decent/funny after the first big arc, some bad/ooof stuff at times still but It settled into it's thing by then, The most recent stuff is oddly good for how old the show is tbh.
The worst thing about DBZA till like 3? years ago is how it had to shake the shackles of running <this character has trait X over amplified HARD> from it to more normal levels.
DBZA gets legit good at around the Ginyu Force is you can ignore the 2-3 insensitive jokes left.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zedd posted:

DBZA gets legit good at around the Ginyu Force is you can ignore the 2-3 insensitive jokes left.

The only good Zarbon joke that still lands for me is Goku screaming "my butt is flaming" and Freezer missing his little henchman buddy. All the other Zarbon jokes just....yeesh

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm in the middle of rewatching of DBZA, and I agree - the quality starts to rise around the point of Vegeta and Nappa arriving on Earth, getting up there at the Goku/Vegeta fight and definitely being good at early-ish Namek.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I've enjoyed the majority of abridged series that I've watched so far, though I haven't seen the big(?) ones like YYH Abridged or whatever it was that the TFS guys did before they gathered up to become TFS.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It’s a credit to them that their humor changed and they are open about it. Most internet dorks just dig in and double down.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Calling Piccolo Yoshi is very unfunny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TeamFourStar iirc was something of a dream team of various people who'd worked on other shows including Sailor Moon Abridged, not even counting LittleKuriboh.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Before tfs, most abridgeds were one man efforts.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nappa still funny, don’t @ me

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nappa had a happy ending, which was more than he deserved

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It was a different time when YGOAS came out, it was like late 2006. And DBZA was what, 2009? gently caress me everything's changed.

multijoe posted:

I sincerely wish TFS all the best, but honestly every single non DBZA thing I've seen them do sucked poo poo

This is my current Stance

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I enjoyed some of their lets plays

not the ones where they were in character tho

but, like, I had fun with their Kingdom Hearts stuff

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The lps they do just as guys are usually fun enough, though I haven't kept up with them in a while. The DBZ related content always felt pretty dire though. The whole reason characters like Vegeta and Krillin work is because we all grew up with the dub. Putting them in an lp just ends up being some guy making funny voices over gameplay, which is never a great time.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Momomo posted:

The lps they do just as guys are usually fun enough, though I haven't kept up with them in a while. The DBZ related content always felt pretty dire though. The whole reason characters like Vegeta and Krillin work is because we all grew up with the dub.

I didn't. TFS is the English voice of the characters for me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Siegkrow posted:

Likewise. I grew up with the Latin American Spanish dub, not the English dub, and I still found DBZ Abridged hilarious.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Abridged voices grew on me as the 'canon' english ones
Vegeta and Trunks work way too good

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Lanipator is better at doing the Chris Sabat Vegeta voice than Sabat himself at this point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of them sound fine, but I really felt the bit role actors were more interesting to listen to than the main ones. Generalivan and Remix both have great voices and are part of the reasons I keep watching the movies over the main series.

Oh and LK is Frieza is actually incredible, kudos to him on that. They were about to try and do something akin to the Linda Young Frieza voice until they heard his audition for Ginyu.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Siegkrow posted:

Same, I never even watched most of the DB anime which is why the complex intricacies of "Goku and Piccolo learn to drive" are lost on me.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Siegkrow posted:

I'm a fan of both ocean and funi dubs but somewhere along the line this became my opinion as well. However, a lot of that opinion is being carried by the fact that TFS got to do their own thing. I bet if Funi had to voice over everything TFS did they would be just as memorable.

poo poo, I'd love to hear the Funi cast dub the abridged kai.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Baal posted:

Most of them sound fine, but I really felt the bit role actors were more interesting to listen to than the main ones. Generalivan and Remix both have great voices and are part of the reasons I keep watching the movies over the main series

The old Piccolo Remix videos are basically Abridged series type content and are still incredible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have never been more happy to hear an old rear end joke than when they reference his "green dick is better than blue dick" video from the weeklytubeshow account

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Momomo posted:

The lps they do just as guys are usually fun enough, though I haven't kept up with them in a while.

I tried following them for a while, because I wanted to be supportive.

But I just... and I feel really awful typing this... find them to be very boring uninteresting people outside of DBZA. They just never have anything to say that I find either compelling or interesting or humorous enough to keep me there for very long. And there's a million other people doing the same things far better and far funnier and with far more charisma and entertainment value.

That said, as a JoJo fan, their little JoJo skits are pretty good tho. But it's skirting awful close to DBZA type shenanigans that they're trying to get away from, and it's not anything I'm gonna rush out and forward to my friends all "You gotta see this!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's also very possible that now that we got real DB content in the pipeline, the bandaid we used to staunch the bleeding fanbase feels vestigial.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

honestly tfs's collective artistic output is NOT as good as weeklytubeshow's

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGtCcPLRsek

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God Dub of the North Star and Dracula are so loving good, thank you Remix and Innagadadavida.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Covok posted:

It's also very possible that now that we got real DB content in the pipeline, the bandaid we used to staunch the bleeding fanbase feels vestigial.

Dragonball Super being equal parts funny and serious felt like a deathblow for TFS, in the same way Dragonball Multiverse was rendered obsolete.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I still randomly think about Goku and Vegeta with beards and laugh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Super really did make a great impression. I think Beerus was a masterstroke- it would have been too easy for him to be a grating fanfic-like edgelord, an attempt at a serious figure that rapidly turns into a joke like Shin, or even a Buu rehash, but they managed to hit exactly the right balance of making him menacing, funny and able to be serious, and he plays off the entire cast excellently. Whis is probably key, but still significant that both of them are quite interesting and funny characters in their own right. They're characters who represent escalation, but also have a clear role going forward as they integrate into the cast.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I dunno, I feel like Beerus is kinda of easing into "serious figure that became a joke" the more each arc goes on.

At the very least, him being able to Hakai people gives him some menace, but he's typically just kinda around to get yelled at by Bulma lately.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I dunno, I feel like Beerus is kinda of easing into "serious figure that became a joke" the more each arc goes on.

At the very least, him being able to Hakai people gives him some menace, but he's typically just kinda around to get yelled at by Bulma lately.

Well he is cat based...

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Darth TNT posted:

Well he is cat based...

Kidding aside, I do think that's part of what makes him work. He's relatable in that fickle aloof way that cats are.

And while they're slowly becoming a bit too much of a vestigial joke character, it's still easy enough for me to buy into the idea that he'd rather go take a nap or eat than give a drat about mortal affairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's funny to think that Beerus was originally going to be a virus or some poo poo.