Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

At least the red aura sorta came back with the kaioken. Having the blue and red aura at the same time was awesome.

It also led to the Hit fight being way better in the anime than the manga.

EDIT- that bit should be dubbed in a couple of months, hearing Sean scream that out will be pure :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Covok posted:

Yeah, I unironically expect no one complaining about her going SSJ3 because it's literally a useless transformation that did nothing in the series.

You obviously haven't read internet comments about caulifa. People are ridiculously upset that she's made it to ss2 already.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

HGH posted:

I like to think the only reason U6 got scored higher than U7 is because of this adding an extra civilization to U6.

People in U6 seem to be nicer though. The sayians are good people and Frost had to hide what a dick he was instead of being an evil emperor.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I hope that all the characters get to move to U7 since they're great additions to the cast.

As compared to GT which had..... 0. 0 good characters.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

cooler's final transformation sucks since the whole point of frieza's final form is that it's slim and streamlined. It's supposed to be a stark contrast from his other transformations which progressively got more monstrous.

With Cooler, it's "Hey I'm a big hulking dude again but I get a cool mask, I guess."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am 100% convinced that Goku is going to bring back the universes with the wish and he's going to convince Zen-Oh that he should let them stay around as this will allow for more fights in the future. This will keep Goku and Zen-Oh entertained.

Goku's fight boner will come full circle and save the multiverse.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm guessing that the Great Priest is gonna be the big bad at the end, given that he seems to be the one actively suggesting that the universes gotta go. Zen-oh is more or less just along for the ride and doing what he thinks is fun.

Plus he's actually theoretically beatable, unlike Zen-Oh

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Everything about ss4 looks like garbage.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Chris must be enjoying himself with lines like "Yeah sure, Whatever Babe, is Beerus here?"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly I always thought Gohan flipping out over 16 made perfect sense

This guy basically pops up out of nowhere to tell Gohan it's okay, and that he's got this, and that he can whoop Cell's rear end easy if he uses his power... and then Cell just goes "heh, NERD" and splatters his head

It makes total sense that Gohan would go from "eh I don't know about this" to "gently caress THIS CELL GUY I'M GONNA BEAT THE poo poo OUT OF HIM" in response to this

Yeah Android 16 is the only one that directly addresses gohan's concerns. He goes "hey it's not wrong to fight for the right cause. I know you don't want to hurt people but you have to let go and power up. You have to protect everyone"

Then cell immediately crushes 16's head. Of course gohan would go nuts.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Also, why is Sonny Strait doing the voices of Chi-Chi, 18 and Marron? Was it that they were too lazy to grab their regular VAs?

It was supposed to be funny. It's Krillin recollecting what Chi-Chi and 18 told him. So Sonny did all the voices for a lark.

"I'm a Good Husband and Father!" and "Goku never takes me anywhere!" wasn't in the original japanese script, if I recall correctly.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think Sean it's really good at handling the goofy parts of super

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxZoe9pknk

Also he's really good at con panels and has funny stories.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

beating a dead horse at this point but boy the latest trailer really shows how gorgeous the game is.

Goku's level 3 looks incredible.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I'm not seeing the deal with Babe as Vegeta does care for Bulma, but it's also used in a dismissive context, which is pretty much what vegeta does is the sub as well.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

We don't know if goku accelerated the death of the universes though. It's pure speculation.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I legit started working out because I was watching DBZ kai and thought "gently caress I wanna look like Goku."

Went from a 120 pound twink to a 180 pound somewhat muscular man thanks to Dbz.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 29, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Goku wishes that the king of all be destroyed since having this genocidal man child around is clearly not a good thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

That would be an extremely boring and anticlimactic way to resolve the situation, and not in tune with how other Dragonball arcs have ended.

At the end of every arc DB undoes of all its collateral damage and deaths by using a magic wishing granting dragon. The good guys/ innocent people come back unless a character specifically requests that they not be wished back.

EDIT- poo poo even in super the only real damage is trunks timeline getting destroyed, but he goes an fucks off to another timeline which is exactly the same as his old one, but all the bad stuff didn't happen.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

Or Vegeta or Piccolo or Gohan or Krillin or Yamcha.

Time moves forward in Dragonball, characters reshaped by events in often significant ways. It's not like western comic books at all.

Other than Yamcha all of these character changes are positive. They become happier better people. Sad things (people dying ,loss) doesn't happen.

The idea that DBZ is going to have an ending in which over multiple universes die and stay dead seems ridiculous to me. It's completely contrary to what's happen in the show thus far.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Trunks timeline died but low and behold there was an entirely new timeline waiting for trunks in which they all existed and none of the bad things even happened.

So I don't think it's as dark your making it out to be.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

The Xenoverse games are really good fun if you're not looking for a balanced, competitive fighting game and you're not an OCD completionist who has to grind out every lovely move.

Xenoverse games are terribly boring and grindy as gently caress and I thank god every day that Dragon ball fighter z is coming out.

Praise Arc sys.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Aurora posted:

It's a good thing Xenoverse does something completely different from FighterZ

I'm fine with different types of games, but I want the game to be good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm completly fine with 17 being an assist because it allows for a more varied gameplay style for 18. Now by having seventeen be an assist, it allows for cool poo poo like 17 being used as an anti-assist tool. DB fighter z is sort of unique in that character balance and each character playing differently really matters.

I know I've seen some DBZ fans complain that they want such and such character and if there's less than 40 characters the games gonna suck, but there's a lot more considerations that go into a legit fighter than something like budokai 3 where they threw everyone in there.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 1, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Has piccolo ever regrown anything other than an arm? I can't recall him regrowing a leg.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Most of his body after the aforementioned stone thing

it's been so long since I watched the buu saga that I completely forgot about that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Namekian biology makes no goddamn sense since picollo was nearly killed by a finger sized hole in his body but he can regenerate 90% of his body?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Doesn't Frieza also need to know the language of the gods to make a wish on the Super Dragon Balls?

Frieza probably doesn't know that. It'd be funny watching him get hosed over again by not knowing the dragon ball's native language.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Meanwhile
In parallel manga universe:

The manga continues its streak of being way worse than the anime.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

How

in what way

Because the manga seems hyper focused on making goku seem cool and badass and completely robs all the other characters of moments to shine. Super the anime, to its, credit, doesn't give a poo poo about power levels and focuses on other characters. Each character has cool moments. In the manga, it's always loving goku who learns poo poo like using destruction ki, which he shouldn't be alble to do!

Even in the black arc, Trunks was the one who finished off black with the Spirit Sword. It's appropriate since he's trunks big villain since trunks is the one with the grudge against black. But in super, nope goku learns two goddamn abilities on the fly. Trunks goes "Hey I got healing powers to heal goku." He turns into goddamn dende.

EDIT- Also Beerus should have been instantly loving wrecked if all the gods are ganging up on him.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 25, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Also Trunks still beat Zamasu with the spirit sword in the manga with the only meaningful difference being Zamasu just turned into a thousand Zamasus instead of an evil cloud, so I'm not even sure what the complaint is here.

There's a big difference. In the manga, trunks just sneaks up and slices an already defusing Zamasu. Goku was the one with the big fight. Trunks didn't even seem that necessary, and more like an afterthought of "I guess trunks should do something."

In super, he's fighting a still merged, still powerful black and trunks using the power of everyone still alive. The combined strength of the mortals beats the god. What Zamasu hated beats him. Trunks is the one who saves the day. It's also fitting with what Vegeta told him: that trunks can't just rely on Vegeta and Goku when poo poo gets real. Just on a thematic level, it's a way better way to resolve the story.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 25, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

In that case the bulk of every Dragonball show is filler where it doesn't matter because they spend most of their time fighting unimportant villains or in meaningless fights then.

Namek was completely filler up until Goku fought the Ginyu Force and Frieza. Ditto with Gohan and Cell in the Cell saga.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

No, because supporting characters are obviously important, but the Pilaf arc is also the only one of two that isn't resolved by Goku single-handedly beating the poo poo out of the main villain.

That's not true at all.

In DBZ, it's Gohan Krillin and Goku that beat Vegeta. Gohan's the one who finishes him off. Goku actually sits out half the fight since his legs are destroyed.

Cell Saga is obvious.

In the Buu saga, Goku does the spirit bomb, but it's not "single handily" beating the poo poo out of the big bad guy. Goku goes super sayian three but it's not enough. So it's up for Vegeta and Fat buu to stall for time while goku get's the spirit bomb going. Hell even Mr. Satan plays a big role by convincing the people of earth to give Goku their energy.

This is the key difference between regular dbz and the super manga. Everyone at least plays a part in the Toriyama/ Super stuff. The Super manga has the same problem that GT had- everyone is worthless except goku.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really don't give a poo poo about the morality of goku's actions and I'm pretty much looking forward to goku going "oh gently caress" when Jiren bounces the Spirit Bomb.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

So here's the thing: none of the people who told Toriyama to change what happened with the Androids and Cell were his actual, current editors. They were ex-editors who had retired or no longer worked on his book calling him up personally and telling him to change poo poo.

Toriyama works best when he has people reigning him.He's the guy who forgets poo poo about his own series all the time. I think having a more organized guy to give him some direction is a good thing. His editors were right about the androids not making the best villains.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

Stuff like Patreon and Kickstarter have brought out the pessimist in me thinking they're riding this on their 11 grand plus in monthly donations as long as they can, but that's just the jaded internet in me talking.

I don't think it's that pessimistic at all.

They want to establish some new stuff that they can actually make money on. It makes sense from a business perspective.

However, I think it's pretty disingenuous of kaiser to claim that the patronage was only used to support machinabridged. Let's be real. A ton of people donated to their patronage because they know they can't monetize DBZ abridged through the use of youtube ads and merchandise. Trying to pretend that it's an entirely separate entity from DBZ abridged is laughable, though I get why they do it for legal reasons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Piccolo's a super difficult cosplay, so I'll give props to this guy for doing a good job of it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Watching the NEP for the special and drat, Goku gets rocked. Kaioken blue hits Jiren straight in the face and Jiren doesn't even flinch, instead just grabbing Goku and throwing him around. Dude has an obscene level of power, and I don't think Limit Break is going to do poo poo.

I'm glad that the writers seem to be making jiren live up to all his hype.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Condiv posted:

he also went 5 on 2 against another team...

Going 5 and 2 doesn't mean you're not a bad guy. Superhero teams fight a single baddy all the time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Frieza will definitely be a good guy by the end of this arc

That would legit be the worst goddamn thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm going to evo in 2018 and I cannot loving wait for the crowd reactions when a player pulls off hype poo poo like this.