Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Don't see why we need another poll, The Chanp would just sweep it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I liked Vegeta's english VA as a kid, but it sounds too Cool Guy for such a short guy, and the script often makes him say some really dumb things. I've cooled on it.

Exactly how I feel. I like Sabat's Vegeta in general but it's really jarring to hear him say stuff like "yeah whatever babe" even in the more comedic Super, it's way too casual and out of character. Vegeta has no chill, he still calls Goku "Kakarott" years later as a point of pride. I get that the joke is Vegeta approaches his relationship like a stereotypical bro boyfriend, it just doesn't sound right for Vegeta to be dropping slang. Like you said it just makes him sound dumber, which in turn makes him less formidable as a fighter.

I think the Japanese VA is miles better by comparison, it's a more reserved portrayal but it's still managed to get the humor out of Serious Dad Vegeta dealing with family troubles or Joke Fights while mostly keeping intact his intimidating standoffish presence from Z.

That's a minor quibble though, otherwise I'm enjoying the dub a lot for all the personality the English cast has injected to the episodes, especially those early ones that I wasn't too impressed by the first time around. Really looking forward to the Black arc especially.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Hey what's going on with Remix anyways? Most of the new videos have been deleted...

It sounds like he and Inna split ways, I'm guessing Inna asked for the videos he recently edited to come down too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The J makes it look cooler.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Considering all the poo poo the other characters get, being reincarnated as the fat cat who chills on a lookout and grows beans is a pretty good outcome.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jiren's backstory revelation was a cool addition imo. He's a parallel to Goku only with a much more tragic backstory that isolated and alienated him from his would-be friends and comrades. Even as Goku has a single-minded focus on training, he's still tethered to reality by his friends and family. Jiren has sacrificed all of that in pursuit of strength. It puts his comments about how Vegeta got so strong by sacrificing nothing into context.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I loved the ending, and was impressed by how many thematic beats they were able to cover. Felt like a great close to Dragon Ball Super and felt a lot less abrupt than I'd been expecting.

Goku and Freeza in their Namek forms fighting side by side was a big "wow we've come a long way" moment and also a nice callback to one of the series' high points, if not THE high point. I also liked how the Tournament of Power ended on some of the most brutal, exhausted fight sequences we've seen in all of Super, again reminding me of some of the early DBZ fights. Even the fighters themselves were surprised they were still standing by this point.

I thought Jiren getting the My Bulma Vegeta power-up tied the character up nicely. Jiren learned at an early age that friends were weaknesses and that he should only believe in himself. So it was a good moment to see him finally accept friendship at a time when his belief fails him, and take strength in a personal connection. Ultimately what defeats Jiren is Goku's very character. Whereas Jiren is about being invulnerable and unsurpassed, Goku is all about finding and surpassing limits. The characters articulate this earlier in the arc and Goku says "what's the difference? we both want to get stronger" but the difference is Goku values strength for his own sake, whereas Jiren wants strength to protect himself. Because of this Goku wants everyone he fights to be stronger too, including his rivals, so that they're better challenges for him. It's this pure excitement of Goku's that wins over even Freeza's respect in the end and gives U7 the final push they need.

The Angels and Zen-ohs doing this tournament as a test to see if mortals were worth saving was a cool thematic callback to the Zamasu arc. Going in I expected the ending to be a "we erased all the universes!!! ... from the stickerbook ipad, don't worry everyone is fine" twist sorta like the Battle of Gods ending. I agree with whoever said earlier it would have been more interesting and tense if Freeza was in 17's position and had to make that wish, but I'll take the Goku/Freeza tag team and be happy.

As far as Freeza goes, I don't expect him to be babysitting Pan anytime soon, but one interesting thing about Freeza to keep in mind is that he spent most of his life peerless, nobody was strong enough to touch him and anyone getting close had their planet blown up. Freeza never had a reason to respect another person as an equal before Goku showed up, but now he's had some time to get used to the idea, and this episodes shows he's capable of some measure of respect for others.

Finally I was a huge fan of 17 when I was a kid and I'm glad he got tons of love in the TOP. Here's hoping they bring back Cell in Dragon Ball Ultra and give him some love too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sea Lily posted:

really curious what form that DBZ ARPG takes though. i wonder if this is effectively Xenoverse 3?

I think it would have to be Xenoverse 3 style aerial combat with loot.

The thing about DBZ combat is it's too fast for a Dark Souls weighty combat style approach and too aerial for a Diablo 3 isometric style approach. There's also, let's be honest, not a ton of variety in what fighters are actually doing.

Maybe instead it'll just be Legacy of Goku for the modern era though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The only part of GT I enjoyed was the Baby saga between him getting to Earth and them killing him, since there were at least a lot of transformations and power ups there, it was the closest GT ever got to how Z felt for me.

But really all I can remember about GT fights in terms of action was the Omega Shenron fight that reused the same clip of Omega Shenron charging face-first at the heroes about four or five times.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There was an episode in GT where Uub shows up for the first time since like the first episode, gets his rear end kicked, goes off and transforms, and then the next episode gets his rear end kicked again and iirc that's the last time he shows up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I always thought Kaioken would be a cool power up for piccolo to get considering he's got Namekian regeneration which might offset the drawbacks. He was also the most talented of the B team that visited king kai and had the best chance of learning it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ah yes that's what the fans want. More children.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Toriyama has definitely earned the right to do what he wants with the franchise but at the same time I'm struggling to find excitement for a prequel series where the main characters are children.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tien shouldn't have been in the tournament. He has maybe thirty minutes of screen time in DBZ where he's doing something fight related, the rest of the time he just stands around and agrees with Yamcha or moans about how there's nothing he can do. As a kid I didn't even know he was a former Goku opponent or trained with a rival of Roshi, he was just some guy with a clown buddy who hung out and pretended to train. Krillin was always important because even when outclassed he'd find ways to influence the action, Yamcha while not important at least has some personality to him. Post Saiyan saga Tien has the tri beam moment with Cell but otherwise he's just a stoic strong guy who stands around watching fights.

We would have been better off with Mr. Satan in the TOP because at least he would have had a chance at doing something interesting.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"Vegeta gets his rear end beat" is the default state of Vegeta.

Like it is so his default state that his unique custom powerup is him getting his rear end beat for power.

This is what made Broly so scary. He was so powerful that Vegeta didn't even try getting his rear end beat against him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Vegeta is exactly the kind of guy who will lose over and over, demand a rematch every time, finally win once and then absolutely refuse any more matches so he can sit on the ultimate victory forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I 100% saw some English dub of original Dragon Ball that ran until the end of the first Pilaf arc a couple of years before Z started running in syndication here in Miami. I must have been like 7 or 8 years old.

Yeah I also remember this, it may have been on WB's programming block or maybe UPN. I'm pretty sure it was airing pre-Pokemon show WB glow up too.

To be honest I don't know if original Dragon Ball would have ever taken off in the states the way that DBZ did. People already mentioned the serialization as a big appeal but above and beyond that the show just looked so loving cool compared to anything else on TV. Plenty of shows had action and comedy, but when the Ninja Turtles fought guys they didn't do it at 9000 miles a minute. Superman might punch guys through buildings sometimes, or shoot lasers at a bad guy, but he wasn't chaining those moves together in combos every episode, smacking people up and down a field so hard the aftershock made craters. Other shows told you how many times stronger and faster their hero was than a regular guy as a tidbit, DBZ showed you what it actually looks like to be that strong and that fast. People got caught up in power levels because the show told you this guy is not only 20.,000 times stronger than a regular guy but also he's tripled in strength since the episode that aired last Tuesday, and then the animation would absolutely back that up.

On top of that, the show being so physical, the characters exerting themselves straining muscles and screaming, violently hitting each other and preserving scrapes and wounds, getting exhausted and bloody and losing limbs and dying made it feel like these guys were fighting at 9000 miles a minute not just as cartoon characters but as actual dudes with real bodies that got hosed up if someone punched them through mountains even if they were 20,000 times stronger than normal. Everything they did they did with their own brawn and grit and practiced technique, to where you could almost believe if a regular guy worked out, meditated and sparred with elite martial artists enough they too could learn the secret of flexing and angrily screaming so hard a laser beam comes out their hands. The combat was flashy and at hyper speeds, but also had a ton of weight because the show emphasized how much physical effort its characters were putting into it and how badly they were getting beaten up in turn. It didn't feel at all like cartoon violence, it felt a lot more like movie violence in an R rated film.

With all that on the table I don't think anyone I knew cared about the details of Goku's childhood or past relationships or even what was going on in whatever random episode they happened to start watching during. I think the first episode I ever saw was Vegeta fighting Zarbon, and I had absolutely no questions beyond when's the next episode on.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 15, 2024