Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

multijoe posted:

just loving on train with Whis Piccolo. You're literally half god half demon, go get some of that god juice.

Thinking about it, Piccolo has never done any training with anyone much more powerful than him with the expressed goal of getting stronger. He's the personal trainer of the group; people go to him to get back into shape, or to work on something new, but we rarely see him train much anymore.

I'd like to see Piccolo finally admit that he needs help to improve; it definitely bothers him that he's not able to keep up with Goku, and if Vegeta can finally swallow his pride and undergo some training with different masters, then so can Piccolo. I wouldn't expect him to jump to SSB levels without fusing with another Namekian, but he'd be a lot closer than he is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Prediction: Goku beats this dude just as Vegeta shows up, Vegeta gets pissy about being unable to show off his new tricks, Goku reassures him he can use them on the next villain, DB goes on hiatus for ten to twelve years

The perfect way to end Super.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The reveal of that manga's main villain was great. :allears:

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

I like this video by PlagueOfGripes where he's basically like "Goku loves fighting, because he met all of his friends that way and had a bunch of fun adventures. Gohan hates fighting, because literally his first experience with it was his (father's) friends and family getting murdered before his eyes when he was 4-years-old. After he was kidnapped for a year and left to die in the wilderness. And then he met Frieza."

I also like the idea he presented in the video to correct Gohan's character a bit; you make Gohan a scholar interested in preserving the martial arts and its various techniques for the world to use. It gives him motivation to continue training (can't experience new techniques if you can't keep up!) without betraying his desire to study and disdain for fighting.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Covok posted:

So, did Teamfourstar die after ending DBZ Abridged?

Covid-19's done more to kill their production than anything DBZ-related. They're still putting out their podcast regularly, but they haven't been able to work on their live-action series Unabridged or anything for TFS Gaming other than the occasional stream being uploaded.

They also didn't upload anything last week in solidarity with BLM.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is any of their post/non-DBZA related stuff actually worth watching?

I've enjoyed it, but it's going to be very hit-or-miss for anyone who was just following TFS for DBZA. I imagine that if you weren't also watching TFS Gaming or any of their other projects already, you wouldn't be interested in their current stuff.

They're in a weird place right now. They're trying to move on from DBZA, and it feels like they're trying to see what sticks now, so there's a bit of awkwardness and experimentation going on. I could easily see them in good shape again a couple of years from now... or we'll be hearing about TFS calling it quits. Neither would shock me.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Thought this was a really solid chapter... then the last few pages happened.

I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I think the claim is that he made a backup to return him to his power status before Vegeta started fission tactics, didn't specify that he was immune to the new technique.

Which probably means that we'll find out that there's either a time limit to how long Vegeta can use the technique or that it drains too much energy from him for him to use it for another long fight

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Reading this chapter, I think that at the end, I appreciate the idea of Moro more than the execution. Like, a villain that hard counters your heroes can be great if done right (and honestly, an enemy that didn't play by the rules was desperately needed in Dragon Ball) if it forces your heroes to reevaluate how to deal with the threat. But if your heroes go on that journey and succeed, you shouldn't then reward the villain with even more of a hard counter to everything that your heroes just did. It just removes any satisfaction out of the journey, and it's a disservice to not just the heroes, but the villain as well. Moro went from being an interesting threat to Just Another Cell, and I'm probably going to forget about him in a year or two.

That said, I do like that they tried, and I hope that in the next arc, we get a villain that also plays with the rules of the DB universe a bit differently.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I mean, Goku "borrows" moves from everyone else, so it's only fair that everyone else starts borrowing from Goku

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Merus was a good guy but at the same time his sacrifice didn't impact me. I guess it's because it's Dragon Ball and I know it'll be undone soon enough, and also because I just want the arc to end already. Also that everything seems so predictable, Merus dies here to push Goku to finally use full UI and beat Moro, Vegeta was utterly worthless, arc over. I'm more interested in how the hell we continue from here with Goku being literally invincible now.

If Goku ends up mastering UI after this, I think the only thing left to do in Super is to set up the Goku/Beerus rematch; maybe we'll see some sort of Angel-level threat to the multiverse that'll require all of the Angels and GoDs to band together to deal with it, but if Goku ends up being able to help them out, Beerus might finally decide to fight Goku for real.

The only other thing I can see them doing is bringing Android 21 or Chronoa in and making the Xenoverse/FighterZ stuff canon to the manga

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I think TFS hit upon a good characterization of Tien: make him the straight man who's a little bitter about how little he can do to close the power gap between him and all the non-human characters. Hell, I think there's even a side mission in DBZ: Kakarot that touches on that, so it isn't like it's out of left field if they started playing that up more

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

There have been vague hints for a long time now that the main angel dude is a total dick and may be the pen/ultimate villain of the series. It would make sense because the angels use UI themselves and Goku is still new to it, after all.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the next major arc involves setting up a celestial threat that requires the GoDs to actually do something for once.

I liked the chapter by itself, although like almost everyone here it came a bit too late for my taste

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

I'm kind of curious how Forced Spirit Fission will be used going forward. The group seems to run into enough bad guys that like using assimilation and the like that I don't think it'll be completely useless, but it's certainly less exploitable than Instant Transmission by virtue of being a combat technique rather than a technique that can also be used for combat.

I think going forward, you probably won't see too many many main baddies using assimilation/fusion techniques with Vegeta around without some sort of caveat. You'll probably see some minor ones try it and Vegeta will get to go "Oh, you done hosed up now"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Skeleton Mom posted:

Big Goku was really loving cool, i never want to see it again

Chances are that we'll see Big Goku before Spirit Fission again

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So what's more likely to be brought into DB canon, 21 or the Time Patrol and all the Xenoverse/Heroes stuff?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I don't expect him to actually accomplish anything, but the new form sounds cool.

Yeah. It really feels like they're going further down the road of Vegeta becoming a God of Destruction, which is fine, and that'll be enough for Vegeta to keep up with Goku for a second.

Also, the new character names are great. I was wondering what the gimmick was when I saw the names "Elec" and "Oil," but when I saw "Heeters" I was all "THERE it is." We didn't get a name for the fourth member, did we? We have Elec, Oil, and Gas, but I'm blanking on what a fourth type of heater is

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's consistent with how Ultra Instinct never felt as powerful in the manga as it did in the anime, but also, that happened with Whis. Action timing is hard to follow in manga, but it's likely Whis is just that much faster to the point that Goku's instinctive movement is not enough. After all, Whis is an UI master, he's still significantly better than Goku. Had that been Beerus, I imagine he would've dodged and countered, but Whis is an unstoppable monster even now.

It may be just me, but even though there's still this incredible gap between Goku and Whis, it's definitely gotten narrower, and it no longer feels like it's impossible for Goku to cross it like it did when he first started training under Whis. I've always thought that the endgame of Super was Goku defeating Beerus in their eventual rematch, but now I can see the series building up to Goku taking on the Grand Priest and standing a chance.

Blockhouse posted:

The fourth was named Maki, which means timber. So a wood burning heater.

Awesome, thanks. I figured that I might have glossed over it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Wow! Cool chapter!

While I don't think they would ever leave a (living) Goku completely out of the action, I feel like this arc is going to be heavily Vegeta focused, what with all of the stuff between him and Beerus and the legacy of saiyans stuff. Plus, with Ultra Instinct, I feel like Goku is even more of an "I win" button.

I'm not even a Vegeta fan, but I think this may finally be the arc where he gets the W. Also...can we please get some Piccolo too??

Let's be honest, Vegeta getting another believable character arc is a W in and of itself. As for Piccolo,

King of Solomon posted:

That would be really good, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

This is basically where I'm at. Between the Super Dragon Balls and this new information about ordinary Dragon Balls the opportunity to make Piccolo relevant is basically staring us in the face, but I just don't see Toriyama and Toyotaro following through with it.

Yeah, same. The entire arc is begging to have a Piccolo storyline (especially since there hasn't been any explained reason for why Kami left Namek for Earth in the first place, iirc, and you now have a prime opportunity to fix that), but instead he'll probably grunt and say something about how he'd rather stay home and not deal with any of that nonsense

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

There was a terrible drought and the Nameless Namekian was sent away from Namek as a child while the rest of the Namekians except for Guru died out, not unlike Goku.

Was that in the manga? My recollection of Guru talking about the Namekian was basically him going "oh, so that's what happened to him" when he found out that he made it to Earth

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Skeleton Mom posted:

Probably not, he served his plot function already in letting the Heeters know who Goku and Vegeta are

On the other hand, he might be how the Heeters try to take out Granolah

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Sabat's Vegeta nowadays legit seems to be taking on influence from Lanipator's Vegeta.

Considering Lani's Vegeta is a better version of Sabat's, I don't blame the man

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Would be hilarious if his wish only took into account base form power and not stuff like Super Saiyan or Golden Frieza

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking is going to happen. It feels like that there's got to be another catch to the wish other than just losing years of his life or otherwise Granolah is more powerful than Broly, like Admiral Joselop said.

Does Beerus's planet count as being part of Universe 7, or is it in some pocket dimension? Goku and Vegeta may not have even factored into the wish if it is

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

it's totally possible they never lost those powers - Goku just could have not transformed during his fight with Uub.

Yeah, if anything this just makes Uub more powerful than what most of us had assumed from the end of Z

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Nah.
I expect Gas to be the final boss.
What I expect:

1: Granolah is unable to defeat Vegeta and has a breakdown due to realisation that he lacks experience and Vegeta may have tricked him into further collateral.
2: Vegeta uses the breakdown to talk some sense into him.
3: The Heeters have found the dragonballs and make a wish.
4: Gas shows up and attacks, probably severely wounding Granolah first. Old Namekian shows up and Granolah realizes he was an idiot.
5: Granolah, Vegeta and Goku work together to defeat the Heeters family.
6: Frieza has a delicious sorbet somewhere, completely oblivious to all this.
7: Granolah dies having accomplished nothing and we learned a valuable lesson about revenge, sorbets or both.

I wonder if one can wish to be the strongest. Get their revenge, find the dragonballs again and just wish for the dragon to take the power back thus restoring his lifespan.

Yeah, this seems pretty plausible to me. I don't think the Heeters will use the same wish that Granolah did (although I would expect them to ask the Dragon what the wish was), but considering that all the Heeters seemed more powerful than him pre-wish, they could probably make a wish that gives them enough power to make them threats to him, much less Goku and Vegeta.

And undoing the wish seems possible if Granolah is popular enough

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Cabbit posted:

A transformation that turns "Ow! My hubris!" into "Yes! My hubris!" by powering you up for getting your rear end kicked is the most Vegeta thing I've ever seen.

Yeah, it's perfect for him. "gently caress, I'm gonna do it anyways, might as well get rewarded for it."

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I'm sure I've said this before in the thread, but TFS Tenshinhan is the only take on Tenshinhan I like. He's literally got nothing going for him in Z other than the Kikohous, so they just make him the straight man in every scene who's also bitter about power level bullshit. It works because in the original series he might have the most unique techniques out of almost everyone in the cast, but it all means nothing when everyone around him can just brute force their way through them and kick his rear end

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also Cell is the only villain Goku had no direct connection to his defeat

Yeah, for Cell coming back to work, he would have to be a Gohan problem, and we all know Super isn't going to base a storyline around Gohan getting the win.

I would say that we'd see Android 21 in canon before we'd see Cell come back

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Aurora posted:

we'd see cell with 21

Maybe? I wouldn't mind if they did a modified version of FighterZ's storyline where they brought back a bunch of dead people that have been gone for a while, but I kinda feel like that if they did want 21 in they wouldn't bother.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Toryiama is writing the outline so he could

But let’s be real there is a decent chance he doesn’t even remember Cell

Yeah, it's this more than anything

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kanos posted:

Not only does Piccolo remember he can stretch, during his fight with Gohan he uses one of his own severed arms as a floating Gundam bit/funnel to shoot Gohan in the back.

A real shame that in every other fight in the series he gets their approach is pretty much "Piccolo charges Ki for 5 minutes while Gohan fights the enemies until Piccolo nukes them".

Yeah, a lot of Piccolo's recent fights just keep replicating the fight with Raditz without any of the actual stakes that made that fight good

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

TFS doing a Super couples therapy session for Goku and Vegeta was absolute genius.

It turns out Hit and Jiren were just flings, Broly is new bae

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

I remember when the Grand Priest reveals Zen'o was gonna erase the universes but then decided to hold a tournament to let one survive, the next episode you have the Kaioshin from the 11th Universe look at the camera and explain that because of Goku's idea now one universe gets to survive so he is not actually the villain that doomed us all and I thought "wow, that's very condescending towards the audience", but I see now that even that was not enough.

And honestly, I felt like that line was thrown in more to get the audience off of Goku's back, because I definitely remember the discourse at the time it was airing was "wow, Goku really gonna wipe out a few universes just so he can fight some strong people huh"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Merging?! In Dragonball? I think you're confused. We fuse people in Dragonball.

No, see, they'll "merge" instead of "fuse," that way, Vegeta can't use Fission to split them up (because Fission only works on Fusions)!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda got the impression from what KaiserNeko said that they were burnt out on full time DBZA stuff and that at the copyright fights were *part* of that, plus stuff like those shorts probably aren’t involved to nearly the same extent as their mainline series which got pretty involved from the looks of those Behind the Scenes videos. They probably still love the series a lot but just don’t want to tackle anything else of the main series cause Cell was a great stopping point and like other people said, how can you do an Abridged Buu/Super besides those little clips of the latter they made?

Yeah, I was sad when they decided to end it, but looking back at it now, I think it was the right move. Buu would've been a slog for them, and Super wouldn't be nearly as interesting to do outside of maybe the ToP.

At first I wished they at least would have kept doing the movies, just to see what they might've done with Videl and Saiyaman, but like, what could you do with Bio Broly?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

Breakers doesn't seem like something I'd play personally but it's a really novel idea for a Dragon Ball game that's a lot more interesting than "we could do Tenkaichi Budokai again (again (again))?"

Yeah, I'm not a fan of DBD-style games, but I'm pretty intrigued.

Price point for this game will make or break it. If it comes out at sixty it's dead in the water

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Is it just me or is Gohan's hair longer than it's been in Super?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I feel like it's the same. Although it's weird because I'm almost positive it's shorter when he's powered down without the bang in front. Then again SS3 proves that powerups can involve hair growth.

Yeah, it's entirely possible, but then I found this tweet comparing his Super Hero design to Super:

https://twitter.com/BergamoPosteo/status/1470865485654753282

Assuming that it's not Gohan in his Ulitmate form (which it shouldn't be, no one else is transformed), it does look longer to me, or at least his hair is more detailed compared to his Super design

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Okay, yeah, if this isn't a Gohan/Pan-focused movie, I'm going to be disappointed. Very much some Cell-era Gohan vibes going here.

I'm... kinda excited for this?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

TheHan posted:

:hmmyes: this is the only version of this movie I'll accept now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Lol at Goku of all people complaining about someone easily using moves it took hard work to learn.

Yeah, that was my first thought when I read that line.

Like, how long did it take for you to learn IT Goku, an hour?