Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"Canon" only needs one n. Unless you're talking about a large projectile weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

It was a typo, thanks!

Always happy to provide some lead-off pedantry.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

The thing that always gets me with early Dragonball is the Casual sexual jokes. Or just the weird sexual jokes. Like Goku figuring out Bulma doesn't have a penis because, when he tries to lie down on her lap while sleeping, he notices there isn't any bump on her crotch like with his Grandpa. Like that was a thing that happened and you didn't notice it in the United States because it was censored out. Or Bulma accidentally showing her pussy to master roshi. Or Master roshi trying to watch Bulma poop. Like the list goes on and I'm just glad that he stopped with those jokes because they're really weird for a kid's show. Or just in general really.

That's Japan.txt right there. Culturally, jokes of that nature are about as weird/offensive as a nose picking or fart joke is here. It's juvenile, but not excessively lewd.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blue Star posted:

Anyway, to change the subject: I wonder if we'll ever see trans characters in Dragon Ball? Freeza is agender, we all know that. But anyone else???.

Doubtful. Japan is still working on the whole "trans people exist?" Concept. The closest they seem to get are crossdressing jokes, and some crossover with flamboyant gay stereotypes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has there been any further word on home media releases of Super? I want to start acquiring them...but I don't know if I should get the current ~13 Episode "volumes", or wait and see if they do more condensed "Season" releases like what happened with Kai

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ramadu posted:

What is db heroes anyway? A show?

Japanese arcade card game thing. They put out anime cutscene/intro vid things, and every character seems to end up with every transformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2HRp6viEY

There's what's apparently the newest one. E: apparantly that's the second most recent. But w/e, there's a bunch of SSJ4 characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Heroes has, at least, given us some cool "official" looks at stuff like a teenage/young adult Gotenks and such

Oh, and female SSJ, long before Kale and Caulifla.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 31, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Decided that for 2018 I was going to do a mass Dragon Ball rewatch. Gonna do all of Dragon Ball, then Kai, GT, and a Super rewatch through.

Started a couple days ago, and it's amazing just how much DB has evolved since the early days. The constant humor surrounding Bulma, especially once Oolong and Yamucha show up is honestly kinda creepy when viewed in 2018.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why? Why would you do this to yourself?

It's been years since I've watched anything from Z other than clips or Abridged, and even longer since I've watched DB or GT.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

I did the same thing a few years ago and it all came to a screeching halt once I got to GT.

Like I started GT the same day the first Japanese episode of Super aired and I still haven't been able to finish GT.

Well, you of all people should know my track record with "watch all of the thing" projects. It'll be a while before I get to GT at all; let alone get through it.

khwarezm posted:

The worst part is in the general blue saga where Bulma almost gets raped by some RR soldiers.

That's not a joke or anything they're really explicit about it.

Yeah, I watched through DB waaaay back when (I had the cool DVD sets with the white backgrounds/kanji on the cover art) and I vaguely remember that. Isn't there some gay-coded officer that Bulma tries to seduce too?

RevolverDivider posted:

People who say GT isn't as bad as you think are wrong, it's worse. The fight choreography alone is so pathetic even compared to the worst of Z it's incredible.

I have such high hopes for the concepts of GT. Like...super 17 and the Shadow Dragons both sound AWESOME! But what little of the show I remember is...yeah...bad fights.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SSJ4 is the stupidest poo poo in the world and actively ruins the entire point of Goku's history of training and adventure. Goku and friends have always been about self improvement not through some weird trick of genetics but by actively working on the betterment of the self through training. So we go from a progression of forms and strength based on that training and mastering each tier of power and form to "SSJ4 which is explicitly about tapping into some racial, bestial potential and nature to power yourself up. It's dumb and bad and goes against everything Goku's worked for in his life. On top of that it's very very ugly and very clearly made by some lovely writer trying to be clever and tie up all of Goku's growth back to his origins in a big bow by bringing up a transformation that had been forgotten and ignored by Toriyama for decades for a drat good reason (The form served its purpose and was now just a dumb old thing that should be forgotten.)

Man, sometimes I feel like the only person on the planet who loves the basic idea of SSJ4...a synthesis of Oozaru and SSJ is just such a neat idea to me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Dragonball has always been odd about form names. Didn't Super Saiyan 2 not get named "2" until Goku walked Buu through all the SJJ forms?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's kinda weird that Goku, Gohan, Trunks and now Vegeta all have unique bullshit powered-up forms.

Come to think of it, how'd Vegeta turn blue to begin with? They haven't actually explained that at all, have they?

They also haven't explained why the slim-and-red God form is now just in Goku's repertoire. I thought the whole point was that that form was only attainable with a special ceremony, and Goku hated it because it wasn't "his" strength or achievement. Now it's just some midgrade form before you get to Blue. And not even a necessary one, because unless it happened off screen, nobody held hands and did the ceremony around Vegeta

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's explained in BoG that he's absorbed the power of Super Saiyan God so now he can he can turn red god whenever because why not, it doesn't need explaining and is a bad form that is rightfully skipped over constantly anyway. :shrug:

You can use the "it doesn't need explaining" bit for why Veggie has access to God modes too.

His body "remembered" some of that power, and he was using it without turning into the red form....at least that's how the dub presented it. I've actually yet to go back and watch BoG subbed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up Xenoverse 2 today...man, I forgot how much City cruft you have to slog through to get to the fun stuff of the game...but it sure it fun to kick Tien in the skull up into a giant energy blast from Cabba, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have a sneaking suspicion that if Super goes on for another 100+ episodes we'll be seeing more colors of Super Saiyan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Have there been any rumblings whatsoever about US releases of stuff like Son Goku and His Friends Return or Episode of Bardock?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TrilliontonNixon posted:

That's probably never going to happen. There aren't nearly enough people in the US who care about those specials to justify doing it.

Shame...maybe one day they'll get tossed on a Super box release as a bonus feature or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blaze Dragon posted:

I get why you'd want Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return, but why would you want Episode of Bardock? A dub won't save that terrible mess of a special.

If you want that, just watch the Abridged version, it fixes a lot of the problems Episode of Bardock had.

Oh I don't even need a dub; just an official release I don't have to import

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He’s boring but also not really anything like one punch man at all.

Phenomenally powerful, part of an organization of powered people, doesn't talk too much...there are some similarities

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Saitama talks fairly often and is considered a weakling by the organisation of superheroes he’s a part of rather than their ace. I guess they’re both strong though, you are right about that incredibly unique similarity.

Hence why I said they're similar, not identical.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Vegito could be one of the DLC characters, maybe? We only know a couple of those so far

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Legit thought Frieza had gotten completely eradicated, and Toppo would have gotten away with it on the technicality that Frieza was already dead so technically Toppo didn't kill him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm into the first tournament arc of Dragon Ball in my rewatch...I really wish I could turn on the English dub track solely for the announcer...I like that guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Meme Emulator posted:

Is that the one with Ranfan? I really like her poofy hair. Toriyama draws really good poofy hair in general.

That's the one. I had forgotten that ranfan was actually a decent fighter. My old memories were that she literally just did the fake crying and the stripping, but she had some decent combat moves too

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Once Super is on hiatus, I'm gonna start posting a lot more about my franchise rewatch

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Vegeta was surrounding his fists in God Ki before punching Toppo through the GoD aura

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wish I loved anything as much as Latin America loves Dragon Ball

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

While I have stood out in the rain for hours for amiibo...I wasn't cheering my heart out while doing so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So is there any trick to getting into Crunchy before it all goes to hell? Or is it just gonna be potluck if I get to watch the finale tonight?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raygereio posted:

Funimation will apparently stream the episode on youtube.

Simulcast here in a few minutes?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Aww, I didn't realize it was Premium only :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

all new drops are for a week

I've always watched Super on Sunday mornings on my non-premium account

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Success! Started a VRV free trial!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing I don't get is why the Zenos were all "yeah we have to cull the universes....lol jk we knew the winner would try to wish them back". I wish there had been a line about them changing their mind

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheLoneStar posted:

It's an asspull, plain and simple. Kind of like how Goku suddenly can't use Ultra Instinct anymore so future opponents actually stand a chance against him.

Would have been better if there was a line either from Zeno or Grande Padre about "all those cool fighters are worth having around" or something

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wish we had actually seen 17's family, after how much they got talked about

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Jiren being stoic for so long was boring but hyper-expressive Jiren creeps me out.

Heh, yeah, smiling Jiren is odd.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dexo posted:

lmao at people thinking anything in super is nearly as bad as the first 16 episodes or so of GT.

Go back and rewatch that garbage.

Those episodes were Lost for a reason

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ougher posted:

You havent been around goons long enough!

Realtalk, besides the dub, what do I do with my life now. Anyone wanna throw out anime suggestions for someone who loves dumb punchman anime. I've watched One Punch Man, and some of JoJo and Hunter x Hunter but not enough of the latter to remember very much.

Finish JoJo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The abridged series has really changed mandate over time. Back in the saiyan and early freeza sagas it was about trimming it down, actually abridging the material. Somewhere mid freeza they must've realized that people actually rather liked their takes on the characters, because the whole series from that point on became more about DBZ comedy edition, that just happens to be shorter.